NFL draft rumors 2024

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

https://wapo.st/3W9A7BM (Gift article):

’The proximity of the Giants’ selection (sixth overall) to Arizona’s fourth pick has many giving New York the edge in completing that trade.

“They aren’t playing with Daniel Jones, I can tell you that much,” a second GM said of the Giants’ incumbent. “I hear it’s McCarthy or Maye” for New York.’

The two issues I see with the Giants trade up option is:

1. What do the Cardinals get in return? You are asking them to give up MJH. If they are getting two or even three ones from Minnesota (even sending a day 2 pick back) that and the chance to still get back up with Atlanta for the 3rd of these receivers given that Joe Alt is a lock to go either at #5 or #7 is attractive. If it is give up MJH for Nabers or Odunze and say swap a third for a second round pick  (I'd imagine something like Cards get #6 and #47 and NYG get #4 and #90) is that tempting enough? Depends what difference in grades they have between Harrison and the other two I suppose. 

2. If you are trading back with the Giants you might wanna be absolutely convinced they are not going to just take the receiver you would have taken there. I dunno. It would be risky for me. Again it depends do AZ like Harrison a lot more? What about the other two, do they have those close together?

But I have heard the Giants are in the QB market if the right guy is there from the very start of the process so I totally buy their desire to go up. 

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The two issues I see with the Giants trade up option is:

1. What do the Cardinals get in return? You are asking them to give up MJH. If they are getting two or even three ones from Minnesota (even sending a day 2 pick back) that and the chance to still get back up with Atlanta for the 3rd of these receivers given that Joe Alt is a lock to go either at #5 or #7 is attractive. If it is give up MJH for Nabers or Odunze and say swap a third for a second round pick  (I'd imagine something like Cards get #6 and #47 and NYG get #4 and #90) is that tempting enough? Depends what difference in grades they have between Harrison and the other two I suppose. 

2. If you are trading back with the Giants you might wanna be absolutely convinced they are not going to just take the receiver you would have taken there. I dunno. It would be risky for me. Again it depends do AZ like Harrison a lot more? What about the other two, do they have those close together?

But I have heard the Giants are in the QB market if the right guy is there from the very start of the process so I totally buy their desire to go up. 

I think Maye is their guy but we may never know the answer 

21 hours ago, Brand J said:

If the Bills had simply drafted Jefferson instead of traded for Diggs, I believe they’d have at least one SB by now (provided Jefferson stayed as healthy as Diggs).
If they had taken Metcalf or AJ Brown in the 2nd instead of Cody Ford, that’s even more compensation the team could’ve kept to hit on other players. 

Ah…the benefits of knowing how it all plays out. 

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

It doesn’t hurt him by putting it out there if another team, Bills or someone else, are interested in the first round. 

I will say if I was the Panthers GM/Coaching staff, and this is truth, I’d be pretty pissed about it. 

Legette clearly is hyping this so someone will take him in round 1 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I will say of course the Panthers are going to meet with him a lot as well. He’s a position they need and he’s an hour and a half away. He’s a free 30 visit I’d assume, of course they’ll go to his pro day when it’s less than 2 hours away and I’m assuming scouts are at the NC/SC schools all the time 

16 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

It doesn’t hurt him by putting it out there if another team, Bills or someone else, are interested in the first round. 

I will say if I was the Panthers GM/Coaching staff, and this is truth, I’d be pretty pissed about it. 

Legette clearly is hyping this so someone will take him in round 1 

I wouldn’t be surprised if a scout was being friendly and hyping him up saying we want you if you’re there at 33. Came across to me as him just answering the question honestly rather than angling for a higher pick, he has said elsewhere that being with the Panthers would let his family see him play. Hoping they take him so Beane isn’t tempted if we trade back.

2 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a scout was being friendly and hyping him up saying we want you if you’re there at 33. Came across to me as him just answering the question honestly rather than angling for a higher pick, he has said elsewhere that being with the Panthers would let his family see him play. Hoping they take him so Beane isn’t tempted if we trade back.

Besides media conjecture, There have really been no signs of the Bills having late interest in Legette. It’s possible they’re keeping it secret or hasn’t leaked yet. I’m sure he’s on their board though. 

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Besides media conjecture, There have really been no signs of the Bills having late interest in Legette. It’s possible they’re keeping it secret or hasn’t leaked yet. I’m sure he’s on their board though. 

Yea this year is one of the most mysterious as we only have about 17 of the top 30 visits accounted for. Beane said we used all 30 so they are keeping this close to the vest. He would be a good selection at a later point in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

That early part of round 2 is going to see a huge run of WR’s

Thats why passing on WR at 28 or moving back to 40 is a bad idea 

If the Bills trade down into the late 30s or early 40s I’m stating now their taking Keon Coleman 

• Vomit 2

Posted (edited)

A few nuggets from Charlie Campbell:

Many weeks ago, I reported that the Washington Commanders had turned down trade offers at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine for the No. 2-overall pick. The Commanders turned down those offers because they are targeting a new franchise quarterback. In following up with some team sources, they said the Patriots also turned down trade offers for the No. 3-overall pick of the 2024 NFL Draft. The Patriots have stated they are open for business, but they have turned down offers. That makes it sound like New England is waiting to see if it can get an absurd offer, but more likely, the team is sticking at with the third pick to select a quarterback.

Among teams with top-10 picks, it is nearly a foregone conclusion that the Minnesota Vikings are likely to trade up. Team sources said the Vikings are not sitting at pick No. 11 and are trying hard to get to the fourth pick. Other teams believe that the parameters of a trade are in place between the Cardinals and Vikings. However, the only way they think Vikings may not trade into a top-five pick for a quarterback is if another team beats them to it.

Depending on how the quarterbacks come off the board in the top three, the Giants at No. 6 might jump to the fourth pick to get a quarterback they want if the right player slides there. For the Cardinals, that option is intriguing because they would probably get the Giants’ 2025 first-round pick and be in position to still come away with an elite receiver, like Marvin Harrison Jr. or Malik Nabers. The Broncos are another option of a team that could jump to the fourth pick of the 2024 NFL, because they are desperate for a young quarterback after cutting Russell Wilson.

Sources from teams picking in the top 10 said the Vikings trade with the Texans to land the 23rd pick of the draft was done to give the Vikings the draft capital to get in position for a trade upward. The Vikings will offer picks No. 11 and 23, as well as possibly their first-round pick in the 2025 NFL Draft, to get to the fourth pick this year. Sources at other teams think the Vikings are almost a certainty to move up and will not be waiting at No. 11 with hopes that a quarterback will fall to their pick. It will be fascinating to see which trade, or trades, become a reality on Thursday night.

Three years ago, the 49ers traded into a top-three pick to be in position to draft Trey Lance, and they did that trade with Miami many weeks before the 2021 NFL Draft. There was some thought that Arizona could do its trade early as well to have more time to plan at the lower picks. Sources, however, said the Cardinals are waiting until they are on the clock because they think that will only help to drive the price up. Arizona general manager Monti Ossenfort thinks time pressure could prompt a team like the Vikings or Broncos to panic and help to max out the level of return that is coming to the Cardinals.

The pre-draft interview process for LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels has been somewhat challenging. Daniels has handled himself well, but teams have questioned some of what is going on around him – specifically with family and how that will impact the locker room. Daniels’ mother was known to be especially close with former Arizona State and current Las Vegas Raiders head coach Antonio Pierce when Daniels was playing for Pierce with the Sun Devils. She also was said to be extremely close to former teammates Malik Nabers and Kayshon Boutte. Teams wondered if those kind of issues would be a problem and a distraction for Daniels in the NFL, but to his credit, he does not seem to care at all about that and has maintained his focus on football. Over the past three seasons, Daniels gave proof that coaches’ or teammates’ relationships with his mother would not impact his play or conduct in the locker room. Still, it was an odd situation that teams looked into during the draft process.

UCLA edge rusher Laiatu Latu received some fantastic and potentially life changing news in that a lot of teams doctors medically cleared him. Latu had a neck injury at Washington that forced him to briefly retire before he came back with the Bruins and produced two outstanding seasons of rushing the quarterback in the Pac-12. Some NFL team sources were expecting their doctors to flunk Latu, but many passed Latu to keep him alive on draft boards. As a result, Latu has a shot at cracking the top 10.

“Latu is the most natural pass rusher in this draft,” said an AFC director of player personnel. “Our doctors passed him, but we can be strict with medical concerns, so I don’t know that we would take him, but someone else will.”

Latu has more size, speed and production than the other potential first-round edge rushers: Alabama’s Dallas Turner, Florida State’s Jared Verse and Penn State’s Chop Robinson. Because medical evaluations are different for each team, there is a wide range of where Latu could come off the board. However, his chances of going on Thursday night, and hopes of going high, have improved greatly over the past few weeks since teams received the positive medical evaluations from their doctors.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

McConkey and Legette is my favored combo pick. I was pushing for Kincaid last year, so if it happens, I'm going to maybe dance in the street. (I live on a rural farm, so only the cows, barn cats, and miniature horses will likely wonder what the damn fool is up to.) They are both late first/early second candidates. Your plan for taking McConkey at 28 and Legette in a trade up is also mine. 

Some folks appear to think wanting two WRs this early makes one a "knucklehead." I don't think they have properly assessed where our WR room is right now. If they don't grab 2 early, I suspect a trade for a veteran may happen. 

Happy Role Playing GIF by Hyper RPG
It’s a pipe dream imo…..but that would be incredible.  I don’t see us being that fortunate 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is probably Tepper telling him - he is a clown that fella. I don't think Legette was necessarily angling for anything there although saying they are taking him at 33 wasn't the smartest move. 

why? because he's being honest?  Who the heck cares.  GOOD FOR HIM. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Walter Football notoriously kinda sucks and has no info at all, yeah?

No, Charlie Campbell consistently gets good info and as a result is usually one of the most accurate mock drafters every year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is being honest about something like this a smart move?  

Yeah, not a good look out of Legette.  If it was said to him, he is outing what is not hard to understand was a private conversation to the public.  It puts the person who said this to him -which wouldn't be hard for the Panthers to figure out- in a bad situation.

Secondly, it is kind of hard to believe someone actually told him this.  It seems like he may be positively interpreting some conversation.  And Legette by making this statement, if it doesn't come true, makes it seem like someone lied to him.

I'm off the Legette train, maybe in the 4th.  Give me McConkey/Franklin/Coleman over this mess.

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Yeah, not a good look out of Legette.  If it was said to him, he is outing what is not hard to understand was a private conversation to the public.  It puts the person who said this to him -which wouldn't be hard for the Panthers to figure out- in a bad situation.

Secondly, it is kind of hard to believe someone actually told him this.  It seems like he may be positively interpreting some conversation.  And Legette by making this statement, if it doesn't come true, makes it seem like someone lied to him.

I'm off the Legette train, maybe in the 4th.  Give me McConkey/Franklin/Coleman over this mess.

I am thinking the same thing.  I saw that and was like "oooooh....not a good look".  

Being able to keep a private conversation private is common sense.  

I am a McConkey fan.  He is hosting a youth football camp 5 miles down the road from me...I want to go but only if he's a Bill.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No, Charlie Campbell consistently gets good info and as a result is usually one of the most accurate mock drafters every year.

That article wasn’t written by Charlie Campbell.

29 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It doesn’t matter at all. A bunch of teams lie to a bunch players every year by telling them they’ll pick them at whatever pick. That talk is meaningless and is put out there to mislead other teams. Legette repeating it to reporters is just part of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Diabetes is very manageable for elite athletes with world class athletic trainers. Yikes,  numerous athletes are diabetic that you aren’t aware of. This should mean nothing to his draft position. I would be more concerned that he takes plays off if that is accurate. 

I’m not sure I agree that numerous pro athletes have type I diabetes. In fact, I can only think of one—Ron Santo from the last century. 

Im sure you can do a google search and come up with a few more. I doubt more than 0.1% of pro athletes have type 1 DM. 

3 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I’m not sure I agree that numerous pro athletes have type I diabetes. In fact, I can only think of one—Ron Santo from the last century. 

Im sure you can do a google search and come up with a few more. I doubt more than 0.1% of pro athletes have type 1 DM. 

Bobby Clarke had type I diabetes, and like Santo he is in the hall of fame. https://www.rciscience.ca/100-lives/bobby-clarke

From another site: "Bobby Clarke's epic in-game nutrition: two phentermine cans of coca-cola with three spoonfuls of added sugar before the game. Half a glass of orange with added sugar between periods and a full glass after the game. He also packed chocolate bars and glucose gum in his uniform pockets."

2 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Pearsall is shooting much higher on a lot of lists this week it seems.

He has Troy Franklin pretty low and D'Vondre Sweat very low.

Edited by dave mcbride

What's the downside to Legette saying the Panthers said they'll take him at 33 if he's there? He's drumming up interest in the market and trying to dispel rumors he will slide in the second. And as people have said, he wants another team to take him. I don't understand why that's dumb, unless it's going against the code of "you don't share what teams tell you to the media," if that's a thing.

But if my career and life were on the line, I'd be looking out for my best interests, not some random bad team's best interests.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Bobby Clarke had type I diabetes, and like Santo he is in the hall of fame. https://www.rciscience.ca/100-lives/bobby-clarke

From another site: "Bobby Clarke's epic in-game nutrition: two phentermine cans of coca-cola with three spoonfuls of added sugar before the game. Half a glass of orange with added sugar between periods and a full glass after the game. He also packed chocolate bars and glucose gum in his uniform pockets."

He has Troy Franklin pretty low and D'Vondre Sweat very low.

To me Sweat has always been a 2 down run stuffer which knocks him down already add his DUI and it can push him way down 

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

What's the downside to Legette saying the Panthers said they'll take him at 33 if he's there? He's drumming up interest in the market and trying to dispel rumors he will slide in the second. And as people have said, he wants another team to take him. I don't understand why that's dumb, unless it's going against the code of "you don't share what teams tell you to the media," if that's a thing.

But if my career and life were on the line, I'd be looking out for my best interests, not some random bad team's best interests.

But what if the only team that’s interested is the Panthers at 33. Last year that was 10.1 million dollars. If he drops to the mid 40s or 50s where people have him projected than he just lost 2 to 2.5 million on his rookie contract 

Re: the Leggette situation where he said he was going to be drafted by the Panthers. Teams tell TONS of players they're getting him. Gronk said a bunch of teams said they were going to get him and passed, for example.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Odunze is there at 9 we see the Bengals make a huge push, and they package Higgins in the move. 

Bengals get pick 9: Odunze

Chicago gets: Picks 18, 80, and Tee Higgins

Chicago now has some serious firepower for their new QB, they have cap space next year to give an extension, and they get some capital to shore up their OL. Bengals get younger and cheaper and keep their pantry of elite weapons loaded up.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Re: the Leggette situation where he said he was going to be drafted by the Panthers. Teams tell TONS of players they're getting him. Gronk said a bunch of teams said they were going to get him and passed, for example.

This happens all the time.  Players whine about being disrespected by teams saying they will take them and then don't.

Randy Moss built a whole career out of telling everyone Dallas said they would take him and then they didn't and he still talks about it.

Nice Article from Joe Buscaglia on where the bills are and how that effects the draft.

https://theathletic.com/5430707/2024/04/22/buffalo-bills-2024-nfl-draft-files/

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That article wasn’t written by Charlie Campbell.

If it makes you feel better, Charlie Campbell just tweeted out the same article. I'm guessing it's his info published by a different writer for whatever reason.

Edited by HappyDays

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I can't imagine that Daniels's mom will affect his draft status. I feel like teams look at Lamar Jackson and think, yeah, it's slightly annoying, but nothing we can't handle.

It doesn't say the extent of her relationships with Pierce, or the other players. Does say she was extremely close. Maybe she's pulling a reverse Zach Wilson? I'd think that would definitely be behavior that could cause distractions.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

This happens all the time.  Players whine about being disrespected by teams saying they will take them and then don't.

Randy Moss built a whole career out of telling everyone Dallas said they would take him and then they didn't and he still talks about it.

Nice Article from Joe Buscaglia on where the bills are and how that effects the draft.

https://theathletic.com/5430707/2024/04/22/buffalo-bills-2024-nfl-draft-files/

https://archive.is/H1kYW <-whats a paywall?