Buffalo Media's Credibility

krf139

58 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Diggs was voted a team captain.. never said one bad thing about the City of Buffalo or the organization

Came to practice every day and played his butt off for 4 years

The media drummed up his diva status and helped drive him out of town... There's been nothing but smear pieces about him for the last 2 years

The national media and pundits drove him out of Buffalo by highlighting this narrative day in and day out for 2 years

He certainly never went to the podium and said I want to leave or anything bad about Buffalo.. never not once 

What he was was hyper competitive

Yes I believe some of this is true. Diggs is hyper competitive and felt the championship window was passing by them. I think he got to a point where he didn't feel that this team would be able to get over the hump. Diggs would rather be in Houston closer to this brother in a place where the party scene is better. I think Diggs tolerated Buffalo to a point and was good if team was winning championships. In turn I think the team got tired of having to endure Digg's antics behind the scenes with his drop in production and decided to part ways. 

Dawkins seems to allude to issues with Allen not being in the best mindset the previous season due to issues I imagine related to his Ex-GF. I think those issues came to a head against the Bengals in that playoff game where Diggs went off on Allen from the sidelines.

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-hailee-steinfeld-love-dion-dawkins/

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 2

Josh Allen has very little input on this team don’t kid yourself or he would have been hammering them to get him more help years ago.

Brandon Beane works for Terry Pegula. It’s more than likely Terry Pegula approved this trade. The media basically does what Terry Pegula tells them since Brandon Beane is just Pegulas mouthpiece. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When last year? After he got suplex by sauce Gardner? Went on the injury report for a back injury

And never played the same the rest of the year cuz he was clearly hurt

He clearly was hampered the last part of the season last year... And that back injury that he was on the report for definitely didn't clear up in a week or two

And the previous three seasons he literally ate all pro cornerbacks for lunch

Having a hard time believing folks still want to defend this guy tbh

From the sound of it he was trying to get out for 2years now and destroying the locker room on his way

Notice how nobody is speaking up for him on the roster?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Being frustrated that you didn't win... Is different than publicly destroying or criticizing your team

Can you bring up a link.. with diggs , actually criticizing the bills organization? Calling it a bad place to play? Or they don't know what they're doing? Or I'm carrying this franchise?

Or was it just frustration that every single athlete shows...

Did diggs go on Twitter or to the national media and say I'm done with Buffalo? I can't play here anymore? Or anything like that

I think going out of his way to go on different shows and podcasts expressing his unhappiness with the team was destructive behavior. It went beyond expressing frustration that we couldn't win, he was specifically criticizing the organization. No I'm not going to back and find those interviews, it's impossible to find anything on the internet that's over a year old. It was discussed on here at the time.

Anyways it's now obvious that the organization agreed his behavior was destructive because they just gave him away and took on a larger cap hit to do it. The debate is over. Diggs' behavior was unprofessional and counterproductive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, krf139 said:

It highlights how many of these folks care far more about maintaining relationships/access to the players than holistically reporting what's going on with the team - especially a week 1 incident involving a player who was the talk of the offseason

It's unfortunate we don't have media members covering the team who we can trust.  I can only wonder what will continue to come out about the Diggs situation, or what would come out about McDermott re: 13 seconds if he gets fired. 

Given the lack of candor and extreme secrecy regarding responsibility for massive failures from this staff, you're just coming to this conclusion now?  

🤔

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Having a hard time believing folks still want to defend this guy tbh

From the sound of it he was trying to get out for 2years now and destroying the locker room on his way

Notice how nobody is speaking up for him on the roster?

I have been adamant this whole time that I am not going to piss on him on his way out

The dude did a lot of charity work in Buffalo

I'm not saying he's a saint... I'm not adding to the piss party... So I'll defend him against that

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think going out of his way to go on different shows and podcasts expressing his unhappiness with the team was destructive behavior. It went beyond expressing frustration that we couldn't win, he was specifically criticizing the organization. No I'm not going to back and find those interviews, it's impossible to find anything on the internet that's over a year old. It was discussed on here at the time.

Anyways it's now obvious that the organization agreed his behavior was destructive because they just gave him away and took on a larger cap hit to do it. The debate is over. Diggs' behavior was unprofessional and counterproductive.

Listen... I understand it

The NFL is a business... What I have been adamant about

Is I'm not going to piss on a player who did try hard on the field and also did charity work in the Buffalo community

If he was skipping practice and games and drunk driving I would have no problem ripping him a new one

47 minutes ago, Beast said:

But a lot were after the last 10 horrendous games of his Buffalo career.

It's unimaginable that he fell off from one game to the next as the narrative suggests.  In fact, that's a fool's take.  Barring an injury, and throughout NFL history, that's not the way diminishing play works.  

1 hour ago, krf139 said:

Lost in the Diggs news of this week is how wrong the Buffalo media have been about Diggs over the past year:

- WGR hosts routinely dismissed callers who raised Diggs' behavior as an issue

- Team beat reporters took pride in pushing back on the national narrative that Diggs was an issue and could be traded.  They would boast about how they're local, on the ground and more tuned into the team.  They'd highlight the cap hit and claim that anyone from the national media who suggested a Diggs trade didn't understand the cap implications.  They loved going on national shows to tell everyone how much they know about the team and how the national narrative about a Diggs issue was wrong and potential trade wasn't happening.  Matt Bove even tweeted that Diggs wasn't getting traded literally less than 10 minutes before the trade was reported

- Tim Graham (who I previously thought was one of the few good ones) is now reporting how Allen snapped at Diggs after the Week 1 loss to the Jets.  It's such a disservice and somewhat disingenuous to withhold information like this until he's gone.  It highlights how many of these folks care far more about maintaining relationships/access to the players than holistically reporting what's going on with the team - especially a week 1 incident involving a player who was the talk of the offseason

It's unfortunate we don't have media members covering the team who we can trust.  I can only wonder what will continue to come out about the Diggs situation, or what would come out about McDermott re: 13 seconds if he gets fired. 

Now I know who some of the posters are on this site. 😀

9 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Josh Allen has very little input on this team don’t kid yourself or he would have been hammering them to get him more help years ago.

Brandon Beane works for Terry Pegula. It’s more than likely Terry Pegula approved this trade. The media basically does what Terry Pegula tells them since Brandon Beane is just Pegulas mouthpiece. 

It's more likely that Beane works for McD practically speaking, but reports to Pegula formally, with McD working for Pegula more directly.  Beane was hired on McD's recommendation.  

We now have an ongoing conflict-of-interests.  

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have been adamant this whole time that I am not going to piss on him on his way out

The dude did a lot of charity work in Buffalo

I'm not saying he's a saint... I'm not adding to the piss party... So I'll defend him against that

Listen... I understand it

The NFL is a business... What I have been adamant about

Is I'm not going to piss on a player who did try hard on the field and also did charity work in the Buffalo community

If he was skipping practice and games and drunk driving I would have no problem ripping him a new one

Ok then

if your threshold for criticizing a player is that they benefited local charities then good on you

because right now it looks like the guy was either directly or indirectly responsible for ruining chemistry in the locker room

couple of tax deductions arent enough to buy my good graces after that

52 minutes ago, krf139 said:

I don’t view Allen snapping at Diggs as a “little thing” considering the offseason drama, mandatory minicamp issue, etc. Graham says he wishes he reported it at the time, so maybe this will be a lesson for him. 

I would consider it a small thing in the moment. A teammate snaps at another after an emotional upsetting loss? That would be, I would think fairly routine.

Definitely an incident that would warrant a "raised eye" and see if the trend continues before pretending to be a TMZ "journalist" and making it public knowledge. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Ok then

if your threshold for criticizing a player is that they benefited local charities then good on you

because right now it looks like the guy was either directly or indirectly responsible for ruining chemistry in the locker room

couple of tax deductions arent enough to buy my good graces after that

No, he was a really good football player... A top three AFC wide receiver in his stint here

Help the team and Josh Allen develop

And he did stuff in the community

All of those reasons combined I will not piss on him on the way out

People can let the media influence them... But I'm only going by what he did on the field and what he said at the podium

He was that bad for years then why didn't they get rid of him sooner... Why did beane extend him if he was a problem

That would make Brandon Beane questionable if he gave all this money with dead cap to a player that he knew was a male content

I would like to think this was something small that just got bigger this past season if anything

Because the bills don't look good if they extended a male content

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When last year? After he got suplex by sauce Gardner? Went on the injury report for a back injury

No. I reported this in the original Diggs trade thread:

You know what, now is a good time to spill the beans on what I was told earlier this year - In the home Patriots game, Diggs chose to sit out the first drive of the 2nd half because he was upset with Allen's play in the 1st half. It wasn't an injury or part of the game plan. He decided to screw over his team and sit out a drive because he couldn't get over himself.

I suspect other stories like this will come out in the coming days. A couple aren't mine to tell. Guy was a total headcase and a major distraction in more ways than one.

He really was just a distraction and a nuisance. Why do you think we are paying more to get him off the team? You think Beane is just buying into media rumors?

Edited by HappyDays

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's more likely that Beane works for McD practically speaking, but reports to Pegula formally, with McD working for Pegula more directly.  Beane was hired on McD's recommendation.  

We now have an ongoing conflict-of-interests.  

I think you’re right … Terry Pegula is one of the wealthiest owners in sports if he wanted to he could can Beane and McDermott and start from scratch and not lose any sleep but it’s clear Mcdermott and Pegula wanted Diggs gone and Beane is just the guy dealing with the media. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

He really was just a distraction and a nuisance. Why do you think we are paying more to get off the team? You think Beane is just buying into media rumors?

No but media rumors can make a player who's already emotional actually go over the edge

The first rule of being a pro athlete is to not listen to the media and to keep your head out of it... 95% of athletes don't follow that now

Diggs 100% Google's and Twitter's his name everyday and reads every piece of news about him.. for the positive and negative it absolutely will affect a very sensitive and emotional person like Stef

Beane... Also gave an extension to somebody who he knew was highly emotional... So the bills are not home free in this

If he was such a bad teammate... And such a nuisance... Why not get rid of him sooner... We could have got more last offseason... If he had all these red flags.. why give an extension to somebody with all these red flags

Brandon Bean should be highly accountable then because according to everybody here it didn't come out of nowhere..

So Brandon Bean should be highly accountable for giving a emotional wreck that kind of deal knowing all the red flags... And if it's gotten really bad... He could have gotten rid of him last year for more

So we held on to a malecontent... And voted him team captain... And let him almost ruin the locker room

That's also very stupid

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Diggs was voted a team captain.. never said one bad thing about the City of Buffalo or the organization

The media drummed up his diva status and helped drive him out of town... There's been nothing but smear pieces about him for the last 2 years

The national media and pundits drove him out of Buffalo by highlighting this narrative day in and day out for 2 years

He certainly never went to the podium and said I want to leave or anything bad about Buffalo.. never not once 

What’s your take on his last tweet? Kinda curious. (Before leaving Buffalo)

Edited by ClemsonBills

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He really was just a distraction and a nuisance. Why do you think we are paying more to get off the team? You think Beane is just buying into media rumors?

I mean if that's true that story alone pretty much feels like enough for them to want him off the team, because that's an insane thing to do in a game that could essentially determine if we make the playoffs or not with only a 6 point lead.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Buffalo is a small city in a large market game. I think the media in this town feel a need to play nice to retain access to the team. The media in larger markets have always been more harsh, and not afraid to ruffle feathers. Buffalo media has been an extension of OBD for decades by default. A good deal of the fanbase was brainwashed into thinking the drought years weren’t so bad. 

Who thought that!? LOL

Just now, ClemsonBills said:

What’s your take on his last tweet? Kinda curious.

He said he made Josh Allen

Probably after he was told he's getting shipped lol it's not the coolest thing to say but it's really not the end of the world

He did help Josh Allen develop a lot... Leaps and bounds... 

Do I think he would have said that if he knew he was coming back next year? No

And that's not calling him trash... How many times did he sit at the podium and say this is the best quarterback in the world

36 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's unimaginable that he fell off from one game to the next as the narrative suggests.  In fact, that's a fool's take.  Barring an injury, and throughout NFL history, that's not the way diminishing play works.  

So, are you saying he was injured? How so? 

Was he injured when he actually beat the KC defender deep and the ball went through his hands?

Edited by Beast

Literally who cares?

There's a reason the team keeps in house squabbles under wraps. Think the season gets better or worse if front office let's all this hit open air? Pretty easy to say worse, 1 year of that, what's Diggs already tainted draft value? A 5th?

Are we pining for the Russ Brandon days? Lol I'm cool with not hearing soap opera bs if it means better on field production.

Wrestlemania is this weekend, maybe that could be your thing! I'll take being a fan of football games instead

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No, he was a really good football player... A top three AFC wide receiver in his stint here

Help the team and Josh Allen develop

And he did stuff in the community

All of those reasons combined I will not piss on him on the way out

People can let the media influence them... But I'm only going by what he did on the field and what he said at the podium

He was that bad for years then why didn't they get rid of him sooner... Why did beane extend him if he was a problem

That would make Brandon Beane questionable if he gave all this money with dead cap to a player that he knew was a male content

I would like to think this was something small that just got bigger this past season if anything

Because the bills don't look good if they extended a male content

Personally, I’m more female content. 

10 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Personally, I’m more female content. 

Well I'm not a English major.. and I've hit my head a lot playing football lmao

I speak into my phone and for some reason that's how it spells it... Malcontent I had to type it

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I coach and scout I'm not an English major lmao

I speak into my phone and for some reason that's how it spells it... Malcontent I had to type it

All good dude! I’m just kidding around and breaking balls! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

So, are you saying he was injured? How so? 

Was he injured when he actually beat the KC defender deep and the ball went through his hands?

Nor is defining and entire season on one or two plays.  

What I'm suggesting is just what was said, that players don't simply see a one or two year diminishment in play in a week or two, essentially overnight.  That's ridiculous.  

Implied is that there is another reason(s).  

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

So BB traded Diggs because of the “national media & pundits”?   If you really don’t think there was something major going on behind the scenes, you are delusional.  BB didn’t just take on a $30 mil dead cap hit for ***** & giggles. 

40 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Nor is defining and entire season on one or two plays.  

What I'm suggesting is just what was said, that players don't simply see a one or two year diminishment in play in a week or two, essentially overnight.  That's ridiculous.  

Implied is that there is another reason(s).  

Then why was he the most targeted receiver? If there was some phantom-like injury, why did he continue to get the most targets?

45 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So BB traded Diggs because of the “national media & pundits”?   If you really don’t think there was something major going on behind the scenes, you are delusional.  BB didn’t just take on a $30 mil dead cap hit for ***** & giggles. 

No I'm saying the media has been drumming it up since we traded for him

Since day one he's been made out to be a problem

When all he did was work hard and produce and help elevate the level of the team.. the day we traded for him the narrative was wait a few years and it will crash 

If he was that big of a problem we should have cut weight years ago and never given him an extension

Why would you extend somebody who is destroying the locker room? Name him captain ... If he was that big of a problem that's also a stupid move

The 24/7 media cycle certainly doesn't help when they could play on his sensitivity 

But before he' even played a game here... The media was saying it would happen 

Then gaslit it... It's called feeding the flames of a big ego sensitive wide receiver

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No I'm saying the media has been drumming it up since we traded for him

Since day one he's been made out to be a problem

When all he did was work hard and produce and help elevate the level of the team.. the day we traded for him the narrative was wait a few years and it will crash 

If he was that big of a problem we should have cut weight years ago and never given him an extension

Why would you extend somebody who is destroying the locker room

The 24/7 media cycle certainly doesn't help when they could play on his sensitivity

So why was he traded then?

4 hours ago, krf139 said:

Lost in the Diggs news of this week is how wrong the Buffalo media have been about Diggs over the past year:

- Team beat reporters took pride in pushing back on the national narrative that Diggs was an issue and could be traded.  They would boast about how they're local, on the ground and more tuned into the team.  They'd highlight the cap hit and claim that anyone from the national media who suggested a Diggs trade didn't understand the cap implications.  They loved going on national shows to tell everyone how much they know about the team and how the national narrative about a Diggs issue was wrong and potential trade wasn't happening.  Matt Bove even tweeted that Diggs wasn't getting traded literally less than 10 minutes before the trade was reported

- Tim Graham (who I previously thought was one of the few good ones) is now reporting how Allen snapped at Diggs after the Week 1 loss to the Jets.  It's such a disservice and somewhat disingenuous to withhold information like this until he's gone.  It highlights how many of these folks care far more about maintaining relationships/access to the players than holistically reporting what's going on with the team - especially a week 1 incident involving a player who was the talk of the offseason

Dude the local media has to work with this team day in and day out.  What good would it do to comment on speculative gossip and break their trust level with the players?  That would be stupidity plain and simple.  I personally am glad the local media have maintained a level of civility and respect them for it. Talk all day long about the quality of play but keep the gossip out of it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So why was he traded then?

Probably because something did happen last year

But unless Buffalo was lying this whole time.. they made Stef and Josh Allen out to be best buddies

They were on the cover of sports illustrated kids together as best friends

The league used their friendship for marketing

So I doubt it was bad from the start... 

But even going into this past season.. if it was that big of an issue why not trade him and they could have gotten more

Unless something big happened during the season

But if it's been an issue for years they could have gotten rid of him.. they got rid of Darius on 100 million contract

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Bills organization would allow NOTHING to drive him out of town other than his declining value and production as a player.  

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

Then why was he the most targeted receiver? If there was some phantom-like injury, why did he continue to get the most targets?

Who knows, because he was squawkin', Brady's design, Allen's choice, etc., I'm not sure we know or will ever know. 

Look, this is a more complex discussion than something with a boolean answer.  I take heat for suggesting what it is.  But I do recall while watching the later season games, asking myself why Diggs was lined up near the line, when the ball's snapped making a slant into the LBs.  That's clearly not his gig.  For example. 

I'd like to take a look at all the targets and where those passes ended up.  Not every incompletion is a drop.  I don't believe that "drops" are even an official stat, and different sources have different ways of counting them.  

But allow me to ask, on the dropped pass in the KC game that Diggs is taking heat for, to start, it was underthrown and he had to spin around, but aside from that, did it look to you as if he had lost a step?  

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is an incredible example of homerism.

Elite, hall-of-fame level homerism. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3Q4Y5yIUIZxVR4SDkeJw

(I actually agree with you here, but I got arrested by the Homer Police yesterday so I'm still a bit salty)

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When all he did was work hard and produce and help elevate the level of the team.. 

He did these things you mention. but it certainly wasn’t “all” he did.

- He also yelled at Allen on the sidelines of a playoff game.

- He also left the stadium after a playoff game without saying goodbye to any teammates or coaches.

- He also left minicamp causing McDermott to say he was “very concerned”.

- He also implied that Allen’s success was due to him, just days ago on twitter.

- He also made numerous cryptic comments.

- He also got Beane to trade him. Which, if all he did was “work hard, produce, and elevate the level of the team”, wouldn’t have happened.

The media doesn’t just throw dice to pick a random player to make up narratives about. Are they making up narratives about Shakir? Cooper Kupp? Jefferson? Amon Ra St Brown? No.

They follow stories and have been known to embellish, yes. But Diggs gave them PLENTY to run with and embellish.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, krf139 said:

"Thirty-one million dead money, a second-rounder next year, and it's a team they're in big-time competition with? That tells you how much they were done with him," Simms said.

PERSONALLY, I've always thought Diggs was a POS team mate.  Great player, but a ridiculous, selfish, team mate.  I can't stand that personality type.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

He did these things you mention. but it certainly wasn’t “all” he did.

- He also yelled at Allen on the sidelines of a playoff game.

- He also left the stadium after a playoff game without saying goodbye to any teammates or coaches.

- He also left minicamp causing McDermott to say he was “very concerned”.

- He also implied that Allen’s success was due to him, just days ago on twitter.

- He also made numerous cryptic comments.

- He also got Beane to trade him. Which, if all he did was “work hard, produce, and elevate the level of the team”, wouldn’t have happened.

The media doesn’t just throw dice to pick a random player to make up narratives about. Are they making up narratives about Shakir? Cooper Kupp? Jefferson? Amon Ra St Brown? No.

They follow stories and have been known to embellish, yes. But Diggs gave them PLENTY to run with and embellish.

Listen I don't think diggs is the victim

All I've been saying is he did say the right things at the podium.. was a great player... And did Charity stuff around the city

There have been plenty of bad apples who trashed the city and deserved no Love

I'm just not going to piss on him on the way out and he certainly did help the bills

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody hired Colin Kaepernick in the last 10 years because the media sensation

He's good enough to be a top 90 quarterback in the NFL.. nobody's taking him because the media circus is too big

100% the media has been drumming this up for 2 years nonstop... Ever since his extension... Everyday it's diggs to Dallas... Or he's a diva ... He's on the trade block etc 

This is been happening for 2 years.. even while him and Josh were still best friends... 

They've never let diggs just be a football player.. he's always been treated as a celebrity with Tmz gossip

Nobody wants to deal with that 24 7

Colin wanted $20M/year after opting out of a contract following a year he completed less than 50% of his passes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1