Poll - Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up in this draft to get a top WR

Virgil

Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up to 17 or 18 in this draft for a WR?  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up to 17 or 18 in this draft for a WR?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, Peter said:

I guess that would depend on just how good Marvin Harrison Jr. is and how the Bills evaluate him.

As for the bad memories about what we gave up for Sammy, I agree and that would make me hesitate as well. 

For those of you who have seen Harrison play more than I have, is he a generational talent? If yes, a trade would be tempting. If not, keep our 2025 pick for next year.

Harrison would require 3 1st's and probably more. You aren't getting a team to move from 4 to 28, giving up a generational level talent at a position of need for Arizona, beating out the teams looking to get up in that area for a QB, and with the knowledge that we consistently pick between 25 and 30 for anything less than that.

People like to quote the Cleveland-Atlanta trade for Julio Jones as comparison. That was 15 picks. Or the Buffalo-KC trade for Patrick Mahomes. That was 17 picks. This is 24.

As I've said before, when it comes to trading into the Top 5 when there's heavy competition and generational talent in play like Harrison - you can throw the ole' Trade value chart out the window. It would have to be an overpay and probably a substantial one to make that kind of move.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I answered yes but I have to give a caveat.

I would give up multiple picks for one of the top 3 WR. I have a win at all cost mentality.

With any luck next years number 1 is #32.

Outside of those top 3, I agree with others.  Stay put or even trade down and you can still get a quality WR.

• Like (+1) 2

Supposedly WR depth is good and WRs are making so much that 5th year contracts are often not worth it and tagging does not make much sense.

Bills should be aiming at top of the 2nd for WR and use 1st round pick to find player for position hard to find talent for.

45 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree 💯 with this. It's similar to the Watkins draft which was deep at WR. and to go back further the year we got Moulds who was the 5th WR off the board. The 2nd Round unearthed Amani Toomer and Muhsin Muhammed and a 3rd rounder (and future Bill) made the HOF aka TO.

Yeah, that was a wicked draft. You forgot Jermaine Lewis and Joe Horn too…

Edited by BBFL

10 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Yeah, that was a wicked draft. You forgot Jermaine Lewis and Joe Horn too…

And Bobby Engram has a few good years too.

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If this is about the next 5-6 years of this team, then there's no better time to nab Larry Fitzgerald/AJ Green

It's going to take more than #28 and a 1st next year to move into the top 3/4 to get MHJ.

• Like (+1) 1

I suppose i’d trade our first next year plus other picks for MHj, Nabers or Odunze. The actual cost will be too much for Beane, so I don’t think it’s an option trading up for them.

i wouldn’t trade next years first to trade up for anyone else in this draft.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to get ahead of this before we do our TSW Mock Drafts.  

The question is in the title.  Would you trade our #1 pick in 2025 to move up to get one of the top 5 WR's in this draft?  Based off the trade charts, that would move us up to the 17 or 18th pick.

Feel free to defend your answer in the comments.  Thanks in advance

No. 

I would draft a WR at our spot. 

I would consider trading our first round pick next year + stuff to get pick 32 and draft ANOTHER WR. 

There’s going to be WR’s in the second round that would be 1st round picks most years. Go get two of them.

• Like (+1) 1

I would actually trade down to acquire more draft picks in this draft. Because the Buffalo Bills have a ton of holes that need to be filled on the roster. I would take a lot of secondary players hoping one or two plan out. The Bills secondary is a mess with all the talent either retired or cap casualties. The Bills are not in the position to draft just one big can’t miss wide receiver. If Josh Allen is the real deal he will make do what he has to work with wide receiver wise the Bills defensive secondary is a mess. God bless Cam Lewis I saw him play at UB Bulls but if the Bills have to rely on him we’re in trouble in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I feel like the only people voting "Yes" didn't live through the Watkins debacle. 

ROC, fair point brother, but not for nothing, the key difference between then and now, is Josh Allen—we are built to win now and pile on the weapons for him; back then we needed to find a QB plus more, and were not going to make any noise in the playoffs, so it was a colossal waste of resources by Whaley to do it, imho. 

• Like (+1) 1

Those who would trade up and sacrifice a 1st round pick next year are clinging to two hopes: that the WR will be a future all pro, or at the very least, a perennial pro bowler AND the WR will be better than any taken after him. We know that’s not the case when it comes to the NFL draft, it’s a crapshoot. Even the “can’t miss” picks miss, so I don’t get the infatuation. Just take a guy at your pick, he may be even better, or trade down and gain another pick in the first two days. Trading up, or trading down, you’re not promised anything but gaining or losing draft capital. That’s it. I’d rather have more lottery tickets than give them away.

46 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

ROC, fair point brother, but not for nothing, the key difference between then and now, is Josh Allen—we are built to win now and pile on the weapons for him; back then we needed to find a QB plus more, and were not going to make any noise in the playoffs, so it was a colossal waste of resources by Whaley to do it, imho. 

That's valid: We aren't where we were, and the calculus has changed. Maybe I'm scarred; maybe those scars still speak. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Stop with the MHJ or Odunze nonsense. The poll clearly states:

1. Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up to 17 or 18 in this draft for a WR?

34% of you would trade next year's 1st to move up 10 spots this year???

34% of you need your head examined.

Edited by QCity
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1