Poll - Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up in this draft to get a top WR

Virgil

Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up to 17 or 18 in this draft for a WR?  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up to 17 or 18 in this draft for a WR?

• Yes
    • No

Hey everyone, I just wanted to get ahead of this before we do our TSW Mock Drafts.  

The question is in the title.  Would you trade our #1 pick in 2025 to move up to get one of the top 5 WR's in this draft?  Based off the trade charts, that would move us up to the 17 or 18th pick.

Feel free to defend your answer in the comments.  Thanks in advance

I have this feeling that somebody drafted in round 2 or 3 will end up being the best WR in the draft class. Not saying we don't need to take one at 28, but just this premonition that if we move up, we'll end up wishing we had waited and picked a different guy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

No, Sammy Watkins redux 2.0. 

And I've mentioned this a couple times before, but imagine if Minnesota had spent a boat load of picks to trade up to Draft a higher ranked prospect instead of staying put and taking the 5th WR off the board in Justin Jefferson.

It's no guarantee the higher rated prospect at any position in any class is going to end up the better NFL player. It's practically irresponsible to pay a King's Ransom for a "better" WR in a class that has (in my book) EIGHT WR's with a 1st Round grade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And I've mentioned this a couple times before, but imagine if Minnesota had spent a boat load of picks to trade up to Draft a higher ranked prospect instead of staying put and taking the 5th WR off the board in Justin Jefferson.

It's no guarantee the higher rated prospect at any position in any class is going to end up the better NFL player. It's practically irresponsible to pay a King's Ransom for a "better" WR in a class that has (in my book) EIGHT WR's with a 1st Round grade.

I agree 💯 with this. It's similar to the Watkins draft which was deep at WR. and to go back further the year we got Moulds who was the 5th WR off the board. The 2nd Round unearthed Amani Toomer and Muhsin Muhammed and a 3rd rounder (and future Bill) made the HOF aka TO.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nope.  Maybe I'm breaking the poll questions unwritten rules here but I would not trade the future for 18th as McDermot just said he was more or less content with the WR room now.  This doesn't mean he won't draft a wr in round 1 but also not giving me the warm fuzzies.

Not having a first round pick flat out sucks. So much changes from season-to-season and boy does that first rounder help. I am generally against the trading of future firsts.

Conversely, I don’t have the same disdain regarding the trading of a current season first rounder. There is a lot less uncertainty with the whole of the roster and so it can make sense from time-to-time (see Diggs).

Trading future firsts has a whiff of desperation and I think organizations get themselves into trouble that way. I think we have to consider the following scenario: Bills trade future first, Josh gets badly hurt before the season even starts, and the Bills have a terrible season without the silver lining of a premium pick. That is all entirely in the realm of possibilities. Having the pick is like having an insurance policy.

Edited by schoolhouserock
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 2

I would never trade a future first round selection for any player outside of a QB. In the NFL where injury is so volatile no draft prospect outside of a QB (who can play for 15+ years and completely turn around the fortunes of a franchise) is worth giving up a future first round pick for. From a sheer numbers perspective if you give up multiple premium picks for a WR or DE and that player gets hurt or is a bust not only did you burn a first on them but you burnt multiple selections on that player. Any player can get hurt or be a bust so the risk far outweighs the reward of robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak. 

Given how Beane's philosophy is to keep the team is to sustain a winning core to keep a window for success open as long as possible and eventually you will get lucky, I don't see him "mortgaging the future" so to speak nor would it be prudent to do so. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I guess that would depend on just how good Marvin Harrison Jr. is and how the Bills evaluate him.

As for the bad memories about what we gave up for Sammy, I agree and that would make me hesitate as well. 

For those of you who have seen Harrison play more than I have, is he a generational talent? If yes, a trade would be tempting. If not, keep our 2025 pick for next year.

Absolutely, #1 WRs are extremely valuable in this league. If there's one they are confident in, pull the trigger on that trade. People who have PTSD from the Sammy Watkins trade forget that this is a much better environment for a new WR to come into, and this staff seems much better at identifying guys with the right mindset.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Peter said:

I guess that would depend on just how good Marvin Harrison Jr. is and how the Bills evaluate him.

As for the bad memories about what we gave up for Sammy, I agree and that would make me hesitate as well. 

For those of you who have seen Harrison play more than I have, is he a generational talent? If yes, a trade would be tempting. If not, keep our 2025 pick for next year.

Daniel Jeremiah made a good comparison IMHO to AJ Green in size and how graceful they are. I think he also compares to Larry Fitzgerald in knowledge of routes/hands but a step or two faster. Both great yet to me this draft about the next 5-6 years of this team and reinforce some holes we took on this off-season. Here's DJ's article https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-marvin-harrison-jr-ohio-state-wide-receiver-similar-to-a-j-green

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Absolutely, #1 WRs are extremely valuable in this league. If there's one they are confident in, pull the trigger on that trade. People who have PTSD from the Sammy Watkins trade forget that this is a much better environment for a new WR to come into, and this staff seems much better at identifying guys with the right mindset.

My issue is it's a strong draft at WR and we don't need the best just an above average guy who could easily fall to us. Toss in Beane knows the value of draft picks and I can't see him using two 1sts on 1 WR.

Edited by The Jokeman

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Daniel Jeremiah made a good comparison IMHO to AJ Green in size and how graceful they are. I think he also compares to Larry Fitzgerald in knowledge of routes/hands but a step or two faster. Both great yet to me this draft about the next 5-6 years of this team and reinforce some holes we took on this off-season. He's DJ's article https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-marvin-harrison-jr-ohio-state-wide-receiver-similar-to-a-j-green

My issue is it's a strong draft at WR and we don't need the best just an above average guy who could easily fall to us. Toss in Beane knows the value of draft picks and I can't see him using two 1sts on 1 WR.

If this is about the next 5-6 years of this team, then there's no better time to nab Larry Fitzgerald/AJ Green