Woody Johnson says the Jets will not release Zach Wilson.

Gregg

Zack Rosenblatt on X: "Woody Johnson says the #Jets are not going to just release Zach Wilson. Said they view him as a “valuable asset.” Also said that he thinks a change of scenery would be good for him." / X (twitter.com)

I doubt any team trades for him so it looks like he will remain a Jet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He's bluffing.

The Jets are desperately hoping someone will throw a 2025 conditional 7th at them.

If they outright admit that he'll be released, then the .0001% chance of that happening go to a 0% chance.

At the end of the day, no one will trade for him (rightly so), and he'll be released (rightly so).

There's no way they go into the 2024 season with that big distraction on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 11

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Zack Rosenblatt on X: "Woody Johnson says the #Jets are not going to just release Zach Wilson. Said they view him as a “valuable asset.” Also said that he thinks a change of scenery would be good for him." / X (twitter.com)

At this point, they are just torturing Zach Wilson. This guy has been brutally mismanaged. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 9
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

He's bluffing.

The Jets are desperately hoping someone will throw a 2025 conditional 7th at them.

If they outright admit that he'll be released, then the .0001% chance of that happening go to a 0% chance.

At the end of the day, no one will trade for him (rightly so), and he'll be released (rightly so).

There's no way they go into the 2024 season with that big distraction on the roster.

I think he is trying to do damage control but it's too late. Remember after the season he made comments that the Jets didn't have a backup QB to Rodgers. He basically said Wilson sucks, and everyone remembers that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The dude gets to sit and make millions being a backup. I would be the Jets backup if they paid me what he gets paid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The dude gets to sit and make millions being a backup. I would be the Jets backup if they paid me what he gets paid.

Actually 3rd stringer now if he remains on the team behind Rodgers and Taylor.

• Like (+1) 1

Woody doesn't want to admit that drafting Wilson was a mistake like drafting Darnold in 2018, Sanchez in 2009 and then giving him an extension, and signing Favre in 2008.  People might begin to think that he's the problem with the Jests since he's been the owner since 2000 with a succession of GMs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think Wilson would've ever been good on any team. He should focus on what's next outside the NFL. Just my 2 cents.

His attitude at the end of last season was embarrassing, wasnt very smart and really ruined any NFL future.  Had he just been quiet it would have saved him a lot of $ and anguish.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Woody doesn't want to admit that drafting Wilson was a mistake like drafting Darnold in 2018, Sanchez in 2009 and then giving him an extension, and signing Favre in 2008.  People might begin to think that he's the problem with the Jests since he's been the owner since 2000 with a succession of GMs. 

Hmmm…….a pattern seems to be emerging.  😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I say this going against every fiber of my being, but I feel bad for the kid. He has tools. Let him get another shot at having a viable career. 

He doesn't have it mentally to play QB at the NFL level. He struggles going thru his reads as well understanding what looks/coverages defenses are throwing at him. He would be going into his 4th year now and mentally he still looks like a rookie out there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Interesting.

I actually think the Favre decision was solid risk adjusted gamble.

I wonder what the Jet Blowhard Greenberg will say about all this.

2 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I say this going against every fiber of my being, but I feel bad for the kid. He has tools. Let him get another shot at having a viable career. 

He’ll get a shot somewhere, eventually. This is just a classic example of how important your landing spot is in the draft, especially for QB’s. The Jets can’t just conjure up a market for him. 

In the meantime, he’ll continue earning NFL checks, so it’s not ALL terrible.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

He's bluffing.

Well, we are talking about the Jets now aren’t we? So it is very conceivable that what you are stating is exactly what the Jets won’t do…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Interesting.

I actually think the Favre decision was solid risk adjusted gamble.

I wonder what the Jet Blowhard Greenberg will say about all this.

I’ll probably never know. Typical ESPN move, but Mike & Mike was the last thing they had (other than an occasional game, of course) that I liked. They ran me off with the current garbage. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I agree. The way they have mismanaged him has caused me to root for him. 

I would like to see him go to some team with a QB whisperer as a head coach, and see if he can reclaim his career. 

The Jets already have the Dalai Lama, Aaron Rodgers, penciled in as the starter and Tyrod Taylor behind him.

They're just dangling Wilson as bait for some predator to *****, and maybe get a third day pick. 

It's unfair to Wilson, who needs a change of scenery, and it also sends a message to the league, of how conniving the Jets as an organization can be. 

They're hurting themselves by the way they're handling Wilson.  At least Darnold got a ticket out of town.    

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

He's bluffing.

Woody Johnson looking for something in return: 

peanuts GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

Wilson is not starter material and I agree that with Taylor on the team, Wilson is useless for the Jets. 

But it also makes me wonder what the Jets' long term plan for a starting QB is. Rodgers will play for what another 2 seasons max? What then? 

I post this not with any genuine concern but with a sense of glee. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

He has physical tools, but not the mental tools, IMO. And I think there are issues that run a little deeper than just mental processing. He is not a leader.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Actually 3rd stringer now if he remains on the team behind Rodgers and Taylor.

He may end up being the Covid QB like Jake Fromm was in 2020.  Pay him his guaranteed money & keep him away from the rest of the team "just in case". 😄

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree. The way they have mismanaged him has caused me to root for him. 

I would like to see him go to some team with a QB whisperer as a head coach, and see if he can reclaim his career. 

How did they mismanage him other than putting him out on the field where he could STB?  I've heard this before with guys like EJ Manuel & JP Losman too many times.  The 3 have one thing in common, not mismanaged, just 1st round busts.    

41 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He may end up being the Covid QB like Jake Fromm was in 2020.  Pay him his guaranteed money & keep him away from the rest of the team "just in case". 😄

How did they mismanage him other than putting him out on the field where he could STB?  I've heard this before with guys like EJ Manuel & JP Losman too many times.  The 3 have one thing in common, not mismanaged, just 1st round busts.    

They hired an OC with no prior experience, who turned out to be awful. They kept yanking him in and out of the lineup due to poor play.

They then bring in an even worse OC in Hackett, and they end up yanking him in and out of the lineup again, going so far as to demote him to 3rd string and say he will Never play again, to then putting him back in the starting lineup (while leaking false stories about him not wanting to play anymore).

now when they can do him a solid and just release him or trade him away for a low pick, they are playing hardball? 

The developmental process for Wilson was just scattershot and they surrounded him with bad coaches, totally undermined his confidence, and now are just treating him poorly 

who treats their no. 2 overall pick like that, especially after only like 2 1/2 years? He might be terrible, but they really put him behind the 8 ball the entire time he was there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

They hired an OC with no prior experience, who turned out to be awful. They kept yanking him in and out of the lineup due to poor play.

They then bring in an even worse OC in Hackett, and they end up yanking him in and out of the lineup again, going so far as to demote him to 3rd string and say he will Never play again, to then putting him back in the starting lineup (while leaking false stories about him not wanting to play anymore).

now when they can do him a solid and just release him or trade him away for a low pick, they are playing hardball? 

The developmental process for Wilson was just scattershot and they surrounded him with bad coaches, totally undermined his confidence, and now are just treating him poorly 

who treats their no. 2 overall pick like that, especially after only like 2 1/2 years? He might be terrible, but they really put him behind the 8 ball the entire time he was there. 

Not to mention gave him almost nothing in protection on the OL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

What if Zach Wilson is actually a huge D-bag?

🤔

• Haha (+1) 1