Draft night I can see this coming

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

In my opinion, that would be a bad pick.  Go find video of Franklin falling twice running routes against air at the combine and watch him struggle through the “gauntlet” drill.  He is also only 175lbs.  Now, I acknowledge that doesn’t erase what he accomplished last year, but combined that would leave him off my list of options for round 1.  Maybe at 60, I’d take him.

I hope you’re right, but I think you’re underestimating how much they will miss their rotational guys (Floyd, Phillips, Settle, and I think I’m forgetting someone.)

Floyd gets replaced in the second round. He was good but faded and was non existent after Halloween.  Settle is terrible. Phillips was a nonfactor. They will find another DT body at some point - draft or scrap heap. Can't be much worse than Settle and Phillips were

At most I would assume they'd do a very small move, like how they leapfrogged Dallas last year for Kincaid. So maybe they jump from 28 to 26, maybe 24, somewhere in that range. But there's no way they're climbing into the top ten. 

Got a lot of spots to fill this season so it's a good year to have eleven picks.  I might be wrong but I believe it's the largest number of picks they've had in the entire McBeane Era. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

i could see pennix there at 28 and seattle calling us to trade for 28. give us this years second, third, and next years 1st and a conditional.... i'd bite in a heartbeat.

doe anyone realize how under the cap we are for 2025?!

I can’t. Beyond it being a massive overpay on Seattle’s part they don’t even have a second round pick this season. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

1) This isn't happening

2) People seem to have zero clue of the draft value chart when it comes to our Day 3 picks.  The only way we're materially moving up in Round 1 of this Draft is by packaging 28 and next years RD1..  We only have one Day 2 pick and our RD4's can move us up a couple spots each, at most. 

Even next year’s first round pick has limited value because teams assume that it will be near the end of the first round.

• Agree 1

we need to be more explosive= draft DL in rounds 1 and 2. 

Deep WR draft and Diggs was a late round pick will be the company line 

We're at the place with WR that we were at QB during the drought. 

All we need is Buddy Nix to come back to give his patronizing "golly gee, we'd love to have 3-4 picks in each round so we could take a WR" schtick. Then he could explain how each team only gets 1 pick per round, unless they make a trade. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, Special K said:

I could see them moving up a few spots to land Thomas Jr., but if they stay put, they should have at least 2 of the following available:

Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, Keon Coleman

No need to move up in a stacked WR class, IMO.

But once it gets 4 to 5 WRs off the board the FO may have a specific target.  A large preference.  For example you're putting Franklin and Coleman in the same category as A Mitchell - I don't see it that way.

If 5 WRs are off the board and the FO has A Mitchell as the last of the top tier guys, I can see a small move up to ensure grabbing him.  Or similarly if A Mitchell is also gone, they may then feel the urge to move up a little for X Legette (who for some reason you don't have in that class).

There are so many quality WRs in the draft this year, and while the top-3 might be better overall, the cost to move up high enough to get them far outweighs the “drop” in talent to the 2nd level guys we will likely be able to get sitting still at 28.

if it gets to pick 20 and the guy you absolutely must have is there, ok, now we can consider moving some lower picks to advance, but even that is going to be expensive if you get into a bidding war. If there were only 3 guys you wanted round 1 I’d consider it (maybe), but you’d be insane to do it this year. Guys like Mitchell, Coleman, and McConkey are close enough in skill that you walk away happy with whomever is available at your pick, and you don’t move mountains to get them.

• Like (+1) 1

The expectations for this Draft appear to be a bit high by some.  

We have two picks in the first 3-3/4 rounds.  The 28th and 60th.  

After that we don't pick again until late in the 4th at 128th.  

Those first two are really going to have to count this year.  

No one's going to trade us a bunch of day-3 picks for anything good.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And then you wake up from your dream!!

If the Bills traded every pick they have this year, they wouldn't get even close to the #8 pick.  If they added in next years 2nd round they may get close to #8 along with every other pick this year.

The Bills can trade a boatload of their draft picks to move up from the 5th to maybe the top half of the 4th.

Maybe you should some research before posting.

If Nabers is there I think a team with a ton of holes that need more picks like the Giants or Bears would make the deal with us. 

For #6 could probably go:

2024 R1 (#28)

2024 R4 (#128)

2024 R5 (#144)

2024 R6 (#189)

2025 R1 (TBD)

2025 R3 (TBD)

2025 R4 (TBD)

Less obviously if it's for #9.

That leaves us with minimum 7 picks remaining this year (remember only 3 of our picks last year made the roster plus Shorter on "IR") plus 6 picks next year when our comp picks hit. And Josh gets a Ferrari on a rookie deal for the next five years. Everyone wins.

Edited by MiracleAtRich1393

Beane may move up a few picks to make sure he gets his guy, but his guy is not going to be a top-10 pick because the talent is deep this year. Plus, why does everyone assume we're taking a WR in round 1?  

38 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

At most I would assume they'd do a very small move, like how they leapfrogged Dallas last year for Kincaid. So maybe they jump from 28 to 26, maybe 24, somewhere in that range. But there's no way they're climbing into the top ten. 

Got a lot of spots to fill this season so it's a good year to have eleven picks.  I might be wrong but I believe it's the largest number of picks they've had in the entire McBeane Era. 

But, in spite of the volume of picks, it isn’t a lot of “draft capital” those late 4ths and 5ths are not worth a lot in trades and, while Beane has found some pretty good players late, they won’t fix all the holes in the D with them, either.  

I think trade down early and trade up strategically in 4th, 5th, 6th if there are a few guys left that they like.

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

Even next year’s first round pick has limited value because teams assume that it will be near the end of the first round.

Exactly- it’s worth about a late 2nd this year.

22 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I could see them giving up a second to move into the late teens for Mitchell or Thomas.  And I’d be happy. 

That'd be very risky however.  Trading out 28th and 60th for a single WR.  That would essentially relegate our draft after that to a bunch of day-3 picks.  

There should be a decent WR, perhaps one that in other years would have gone earlier, availalble at 28th.  Then keep our 60th for an OT or C.   

Someone here suggested Zach Frazier from WVU at C.  He seems as if he'd be a great pick at 60th in a spot of need.  C/G.  

Not sure how we don't focus on the offense in rounds 1/2.  

We are out of contention for one of the top three. The only guys I would consider moving up for would be Thomas or Mitchell and even then only maybe max 4 spots and only if it was thought to be necessary based on how the board had come to look at the time. If only Coleman or Leggett or Franklin were left amongst premier X receiver prospects I might be inclined to trade down and take one in the second (Coleman would be my preference in that case).. 
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thomas or Mirchell proved to be as good pros as the top three.