Diggs - will he resurface as the Bills go to WR in 2024?

WR / Diggs / Draft  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is Stefon Diggs still a number 1 receiver?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is Diggs drop off in production during the back half of the season because:

• Defenses focused on him due to lack of WR depth on the Bills roster
    • He was injured
    • He has lost a step
    • His route running became very predictable
    • Other (please explain in your response)
  3. 3. If the Bills do not draft a WR in round #1 I will be:

• Very upset
    • Mildly Upset
    • Not upset because they should take BPA regardless of position
    • Not upset because other needs rank higher than WR
    • Not upset because WR draft pool is deep and they can get one later

36 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I think the problem is if they trade him or cut him theres a huge dead cap hit. Realistically , what could they trade him for?

He still has value as a WR but the new team would take on a $19M salary. Maybe a 4th plus. A 3rd if we are lucky. I think it’s becoming more of a situation where we need to part ways because the relationship is deteriorating. That’s tough when you’re revamping a position group. You don’t want a disgruntled star player to negatively impact the youth. 

The cap hit is bad. But the other side of that coin is that keeping him adds $19M to his total cap liability. Trading him involves a difficult, but manageable short term cap hit. Long term it’s probably worth it, especially if  we get the Diggs from the second half of the season. Or worse. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, transient said:

That's very optimistic of you. There would have been lots of time left on the clock, and since the fantasy rosters had to be set prior to kickoff, the Bills still would have had to use their defense to stop the Chiefs.

It was likely a 30+ point differential swing in win%

I think it's way too much of a coincidence that his production dropped off after Brady took over. I think something changed schematically that caused his drop in production. Obviously it worked to some degree because they were the 2 seed and had greatly improved after Brady took over. Obviously the drop in the kc game was huge, but I do believe there is something to getting in a rhythm, and he hadn't been in one for sometime at that point. I think he bounces back just fine next season, especially if they load up with weapons. They need a number 2 receiver badly. I feel like we haven't had one in 5 years 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

NOT UPSET BECAUSE THEY SHOULD GO BPA - Anyone who thinks its WR or nothing at 28 would make a terrible GM.  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should they ever lock into ONE position and take a LESSER prospect over more talented players.  This team has a lot of needs, and WR isn't even the top need.  It is maybe the top priority, but not our biggest hole in a draft that is both rich and deep at WR.  

Definitely not disagreeing with the rationale behind this thinking, but I think it is still possible to agree with this conceptually and still be pissed if they come out of another first round without a WR when they've needed one for 2 years now and when it clearly would have made a huge difference last season. I think they need to do everything they can within reason and without being stupid to come out of round 1 with, at the very least, the WR they had the last first round grade on if not someone higher on their board.

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what?  Diggs has 100 yards and 0 TD’s in the 3 playoff games against KC combined

That’s a shame.  Could have increased it by 60 this year if he simply caught that dime. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

That would be the defensive-minded Head Coach's precious defense.

No it would be our boy in the #14.

He’s had 1 game with 100+ yards since 2020 in the playoffs. 3 games under 60 yards. He hasn’t had a TD since the Baltimore game 4 years ago.

Guy stinks in the postseason. 

Edited by FireChans

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No it would be our boy in the #14.

He’s had 1 game with 100+ yards since 2020 in the playoffs. 3 games under 60 yards. He hasn’t had a TD since the Baltimore game 4 years ago.

Guy stinks in the postseason. 

Yeah and McDermott's D keeps surrendering leads late in those games.

52 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Yeah and McDermott's D keeps surrendering leads late in those games.

Are you arguing that Diggs doesn’t disappear in the playoffs? Or just trying to be inane for no reason?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

One of the biggest mysteries to last season was Diggs lack of production in the back half of last season.  His production must return in 2024 given his presence, role and cap hit.

This is not intended as a bash Diggs thread. Rather, what do you think happened nad how does it play into Buffalo’s draft?

I chose “other” in drop off in production category. It’s a combination. I think Diggs lost a bit of a step simply because of age and is no longer a top 5 player at his position. I still think he is in the upper echelon of receivers though. He might of lost a bit of speed, but his route running is superb and that is usually the last skill set to go (ask Jerry Rice and Larry Fitz.) I think his injuries were more significant than most think. He literally fell off a cliff in the 2nd half of the season, but his strong 1st half still allowed him to put up almost 1200 yards and 8 Touchdowns. I still think he needs more help to be as effective as possible. WR absolutely needs to be picked in the 1st or at least a trade up in the mid-2nd. 

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Are you arguing that Diggs doesn’t disappear in the playoffs? Or just trying to be inane for no reason?

Because Diggs is usually being mugged and doubled in the playoffs. It is up to other guys to take advantage of that. 

29 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I chose “other” in drop off in production category. It’s a combination. I think Diggs lost a bit of a step simply because of age and is no longer a top 5 player at his position. I still think he is in the upper echelon of receivers though. He might of lost a bit of speed, but his route running is superb and that is usually the last skill set to go (ask Jerry Rice and Larry Fitz.) I think his injuries were more significant than most think. He literally fell off a cliff in the 2nd half of the season, but his strong 1st half still allowed him to put up almost 1200 yards and 8 Touchdowns. I still think he needs more help to be as effective as possible. WR absolutely needs to be picked in the 1st or at least a trade up in the mid-2nd. 

Because Diggs is usually being mugged and doubled in the playoffs. It is up to other guys to take advantage of that. 

Right, unlike the regular season where teams just pretend Diggs doesn’t exist and let him catch the ball uncovered.

just like what happened week 10 this year.

I like Diggs and he was elite in the regular season his first few years here, but a guys is what he is. 

I bet if he catches that moon ball vs. da Chefs we aren't having this conversation. When Josh launched that thing I was like, dear lord man, he can't run his route into the parking lot...oh wait he's under it, he's got...he's NOT got it. Son of a! I better quit now before I have flashbacks and start kicking rocks again. 

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Alpha... if Josh's shoulder is bothering him  so much maybe he should knock off the golf, jet setting and get something done about it.

...As for Diggs, I think he was injured physically and mentally. I agree with others we need to draft high a WR

Everyone knows we are drafting a WR early and no one is opposed to it, not even Beane.  Pretty universal sentiment with Diggs being 31  

• Like (+1) 1

I expect Diggs to be the top WR for the Bills next season.  All this talk about a rookie WR having massive impact next season is not realistic.  But drafting one and having him develop is crucial regardless. 

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

He is arguably the biggest playoff no-show on the team.

No big argument, but which of our players, on either side, have shown up with any kind of consistency in the playoffs besides Allen or Davis?

It's our single biggest problem that appears to have zero solution.