Bills resigning Rapp

Process

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not great at analyzing these things, but I believe his cap hit will be ~$2.3M this year, and we could cut him after this season for like $700K dead cap in 2025 and 2026. Not too bad. I just hope he isn't a starter.

Not much different than his deal last year except it’s for 3 years.  

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'm not great at analyzing these things, but I believe his cap hit will be ~$2.3M this year, and we could cut him after this season for like $700K dead cap in 2025 and 2026. Not too bad. I just hope he isn't a starter.

I think he’s one of the starters. But this isn’t a deal that locks him into a starting role.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Like you, I don’t pretend to understand exactly how it works with the money, but the guaranteed money sounds like a good value spread out over three years. The one area on the team I trust McD on is defensive backfield. He has seen Rapp play for a year, if Coach thinks he is worth this, that’s good enough for me.

50 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was off a bit.

So $2.8M cap hit this year which is a bit steep for me. We could cut him after the season for $1.3M in dead cap in 2025 or keep him for $3.7M.

Now that we know the real numbers this is still an overpay IMO. Depth safeties should be day three rookie contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

Yet again, the real details of a contract come out and paint it in a much more favorable and justifiable light for the team than it seemed at first.

Not to sound like a broken record, but reactions to first announcements of contracts are a waste of time and typing effort. 

As others have said, this is "compete to start but may wind up as the 3rd safety again" money. Good. I like Rapp in that capacity.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was off a bit.

So $2.8M cap hit this year which is a bit steep for me. We could cut him after the season for $1.3M in dead cap in 2025 or keep him for $3.7M.

Now that we know the real numbers this is still an overpay IMO. Depth safeties should be day three rookie contracts.

Not awful. But I would have bet my right arm if we let him hit free agency we could have got him for $1.5M or less. He was coming off being a starter last year and the safety market was much lighter and still had no interest. No idea why anyone would think after a year he had less of a role and more options available he would demand more. But hey we only wasted a mil or two. No biggie. 

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yet again, the real details of a contract come out and paint it in a much more favorable and justifiable light for the team than it seemed at first.

Not to sound like a broken record, but reactions to first announcements of contracts are a waste of time and typing effort. 

As others have said, this is "compete to start but may wind up as the 3rd safety again" money. Good. I like Rapp in that capacity.

Yes but...he got over a mil raise that was unwarranted and in a stacked market. We could have signed a ton of 3rd safeties for half that money. Its not awful but its still a raise and with guaranteed money that was not needed. 

16 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Yes but...he got over a mil raise that was unwarranted and in a stacked market. We could have signed a ton of 3rd safeties for half that money. Its not awful but its still a raise and with guaranteed money that was not needed. 

I can only respond that the coaches must NOT have felt it was unwarranted. And that, given the stacked safety market -- of which they are assuredly aware -- they must have liked enough of what they saw from him last year to feel that bringing him back was worthwhile.

I'd also add that getting a raise of a million dollars is arguably not really getting a raise at all, because the salary cap just went up $15million more than expected, and contract inflation is about to happen across the league.

23 minutes ago, ngbills said:

No idea why anyone would think after a year he had less of a role and more options available he would demand more. But hey we only wasted a mil or two. No biggie. 

I just want us to be more willing to let rookies take on roles. Save the cap space for difference makers. My issue with a contract like this is Rapp is basically guaranteed a spot on the roster - it costs slightly more to cut him than to keep him in 2024. Before the offseason really starts we are already deciding his role is too valuable to be handled by a rookie (or a late stage FA signing) and I just don't understand that thought process. So yes an extra $1M-$2M is not a huge deal on its own, but when you add all these slightly overpaid depth contracts together if does start to become an issue.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was off a bit.

I don't necessarily think you should just have two day 3 rookie deals at safety. We tried that with Hamlin and Johnson two years ago and they were bad. But I think there'd have been a vet out there after the dust settled who'd have signed for last year's Taylor Rapp deal - 1 year; $1.7m. 

I don't like this deal. People keep saying Rapp "came on down the stretch". I don't know what they were seeing that I wasn't. I suspect it is just "he had that pick to seal the Miami game" rather than any substantial evaluation of the film.

This is cheap as a deal if they want him to be a starter. But I really hope that isn't the plan so much as it is an "if all else fails".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was off a bit.

On the surface I can understand where you're coming from.  Basically they're paying a little extra to have a guy in the room that already knows the system and that the coaches trust enough to start. The insurance is likely worth it to them.  

• Agree 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:14 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

Usually when the report is “up to” it’s not too great for the player. Don’t mind this one. Probably ends up at 3-4M per season. 

Flutie had one of those contracts and hit every incentive.

It really has to do with agent and understanding team player will be trying to earn incentives on.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I was off a bit.

He said he’s a starter at the press conference.  Unfortunately if you don’t think he could be at least an average starter.  It’s a steal of a contract if he excels though.

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

I really like this move. I know some fans don’t like his style of play but I am a fan.

Seems that the Bills have had a plan with him going back to last year when they brought  him in …I’m hoping this plan works out as well as the one they had for Bernard ..

He played 40 percent of snaps last year… …I  would say it’s likely he will exceed that figure in 2024..

At the very least… He became the best tackler in the secondary when both Hyde and Poyer struggled with missed tackles which annoyed the crap out of me in 2023…

I’m not a 100% sold on him..but optimistic to trust McDermotts judgement at this position … his numbers don’t stop them cutting bait after one year if  he ain’t it … 

• Like (+1) 1

With the Safety market what it is, I don't see us paying more than that for any FA, and nor should we. DRAFT a couple guys and let one start next to Rapp. Hell all they gotta do is be able to run a cover 2 shell anymore.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I just want us to be more willing to let rookies take on roles. Save the cap space for difference makers. My issue with a contract like this is Rapp is basically guaranteed a spot on the roster - it costs slightly more to cut him than to keep him in 2024. Before the offseason really starts we are already deciding his role is too valuable to be handled by a rookie (or a late stage FA signing) and I just don't understand that thought process. So yes an extra $1M-$2M is not a huge deal on its own, but when you add all these slightly overpaid depth contracts together if does start to become an issue.

Bingo. Not just the wasted $ and what player that could help sign but the lost opportunity to develop a younger player. Look at last year, when guys got hurt we were out bring in Dean Marlowe again. How do we not have capable young guys around? 

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

With the Safety market what it is, I don't see us paying more than that for any FA, and nor should we. DRAFT a couple guys and let one start next to Rapp. Hell all they gotta do is be able to run a cover 2 shell anymore.

They should bring in another FA …. It’s a buyers market at Safety so get a guaranteed starter at one position. …  That might mean paying a guy $4-5m a year .

Draft a guy rounds 3-5 and see if they beat out Rapp… if not in 2024 then maybe 2025 ..take another guy late to battle it out with Hamlin for the last spot ..

Always thought Safety should be the least of their problems really …

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

They should bring in another FA …. It’s a buyers market at Safety so get a guaranteed starter at one position. …  That might mean paying a guy $4-5m a year .

Draft a guy rounds 3-5 and see if they beat out Rapp… if not in 2024 then maybe 2025 ..take another guy late to battle it out with Hamlin for the last spot ..

Always thought Safety should be the least of their problems really …

Safety is an afterthought in Defenses right now. I wouldn't even contact anyone until after the Draft. Let the market keep dropping on them. 

And why beat out Rapp? If he can eliminate the bonehead play trying to knock someone out, he is good enough.

• Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

I agree he was off to a rough start when he was asked to play Hyde’s FS role alongside Poyer. The Bills used to always say Hyde and Poyer were interchangeable, and that’s true from a disguise perspective, but that’s somewhat of a misnomer from a player type perspective. Rapp and Poyer on the field together are like two Poyers out there.  Assuming they don’t get anyone else to man that spot, I expect he’ll play in Poyer’s role which he’s better suited for. Not saying he’s an All-Pro and there won’t be a drop off from peak Poyer, but he played better toward the end of the season in a three safety look with Hyde in his usual FS role, Rapp in Poyer’s SS role, and dropping Poyer down to LB. 

Time will ultimately tell, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt with DBs. They’ve earned that. 

I don't think Rapp is anywhere near Poyer in terms of play. Poyer is controlled aggression and Rapp is wild. I think he has one good series but I don't have high hopes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Could have gotten a much better player for that money imo. Another 'let's stick with the below average guy we know' instead of getting better. Too many of these middling contracts go to below average players and it adds up to less money for elite talent....this is not in any way a win for the Bills.   Why they needed to lock him up before free agency starts is beyond my understanding. Mark my words, much better safeties will play next season for equal or less money.