Morse Released

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

sure also just normal team building.  

The league and the cap leave little room for old and declining players who make considerable amounts of money.  

I imagine the front office had this mapped out as they gave out the contracts with a few scenarios being different.

Releasing/trading Diggs, dawkins, milano etc....would seem like a time to say rebuild.

Most of these players sans the two starting safeties can be replaced on some level via the draft or mid level free agency after the draft.  

A lot of leadership and intelligence has left the locker room along with their cap numbers however and its nearly impossible to know how or when you can replace those qualities in players.  

Von Miller needs to be dealt with imo, there is no point in his being on the roster except for the cap ramifications.

most teams flip all but 5 or so cornerstone guys every 3-4 years. Morse was a good player but not a cornerstone. You rotate as you find talent at or around the position. Three good guards for cheap created a viable shift 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

This is so dumb to me.  Right back to the days of our o line being patch work.  

Edwards is a below avg guard and who the heck knows if McGovern can play center.

What are we doing here?!!?

just as a pulse check - 

the coaches have some idea of McGovern 

and we haven’t even entered free agency or the draft 

I understand it but I still think this is the biggest surprise so far.  We currently do not have a center on the roster. Wild. 

Good luck to Morse, he's been great for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

just as a pulse check - 

the coaches have some idea of McGovern 

and we haven’t even entered free agency or the draft 

Sorry, I dont trust these coaches to build an o line.  It took them 5 years to build what we had last year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Sorry, I dont trust these coaches to build an o line.  It took them 5 years to build what we had last year.

kromer is one of the absolute best in the business and started back with us… checks note… 2 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It HAS to happen. I really hope they eat the ***** sandwich that is the Von Miller Albatross Contract (tm), too.

My thoughts exactly. If we are going down this road, get rid of ass and eat it now.  Diggs will be next year, and Knox should be let go as soon as the cap allows.  

Just now, Donuts and Doritos said:

To quote Lombardi: "What the Hell's going on out there?"

Why are we fixing an O-line that's not broken. This is starting to feel like more of a overhaul than I expected 

Morse was on the down side to my eyes, couple that with a really good draft group and it was time to move on. Really didn't think Beane had it in him, but i think this is for the best long term.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

kromer is one of the absolute best in the business and started back with us… checks note… 2 years ago. 

So you think Kromer wanted to release Morse?  I highly doubt it.  He has to just work with whatever the bosses give him.  He isnt a miracle worker.

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

most teams flip all but 5 or so cornerstone guys every 3-4 years. Morse was a good player but not a cornerstone. You rotate as you find talent at or around the position. Three good guards for cheap created a viable shift 

I expected this move until Bates was traded.

Now im kind of scratching my head.

• Agree 1

This is super interesting on a number of fronts, but the main thing is Morse was perhaps the last thing holding McD back from turning this offense into run first so he can play more complimentary football. 

We need a big RB and to replace Gabe with another blocking WR, but now we can run 11 personnel with more of a bruising interior.

BTW I hate this development. Morse was still good and I liked the Daboll version of our offense better.

Edited by VW82