Is trading Milano something Bills should consider?

1 hour ago, mrags said:

hes literally never finished an entire season in his career. 

As in he always has a season ending injury or as in maybe he missed 1-3 games at some point?  Which btw with this regime should not be shocking given their conservative handling of soft tissue type injuries.  Sure he has not been the most available guy but he is worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

The difference between us beating the Chiefs last season vs what actually happened could solely be explained by the absence of Milano. He plays in that game and we win. 

Not necessarily.......if he plays in that game, there's a good chance we win, however, teams have figured out that if they can isolate and neutralize him, they can take him right out of the game altogether.

There's been a few head scratching games where it looked like he didn't even show up, nor make any kind of impact on the outcome. Are you telling me KC wouldn't have game planned for him?........like, come on, man.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It really depends on the healing post surgery. If there are complications with surgery or something like that then it can take a long time to recover. I don’t think he’s had any complications.

Agree but I don’t think recovery complications would necessarily be publicized.

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Can we trade this thread instead?  lol.  No thanks, this defense needs Milano. 

Who don't they need?

It seems anytime we have a discussion about anyone on the defense, people chime in saying they are necessary for the unit to function.  

For the past few years Hyde & Poyer were necessary.  Now it's Milano and Johnson.  People are afraid to cut or trade Douglas.  

Not going at you specifically, it just seems like fans/podcast guys and maybe even the FO depends far too much on aging vets on larger salaries.  To stay competitive, we're going to need more Edmunds to Bernard stories and less restructures/extensions. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Agree but I don’t think recovery complications would necessarily be publicized.

I think we would’ve heard something. He looked to be in pretty good spirits at the end of the season. Seems to be rehabbing in Buffalo. I think he’s well past any possible complications.

26 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

As in he always has a season ending injury or as in maybe he missed 1-3 games at some point?  Which btw with this regime should not be shocking given their conservative handling of soft tissue type injuries.  Sure he has not been the most available guy but he is worth it.

Not saying he isn’t but it sure hurts when he’s out for some of the most important games of the year. Pretty sure he’s missed multiple playoff games against very tough opponents. Sometimes the best ability is availability. And he’s not been good in that department. 

and yes, for us he’s worth it, but for another team to trade for him that’s another story 

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Who don't they need?

It seems anytime we have a discussion about anyone on the defense, people chime in saying they are necessary for the unit to function.  

For the past few years Hyde & Poyer were necessary.  Now it's Milano and Johnson.  People are afraid to cut or trade Douglas.  

Not going at you specifically, it just seems like fans/podcast guys and maybe even the FO depends far too much on aging vets on larger salaries.  To stay competitive, we're going to need more Edmunds to Bernard stories and less restructures/extensions. 

I hear ya...but lets look at what you are saying:  

Hyde & Poyer:  Factually, they were very important to this defense and the style we played for many years.  So I don't know it was incorrect to say we needed them, especially with nothing resembling starting material behind them to elevate if we moved one.  So can't fault anyone who might have said we need them in years past.  This year of course is different as they are now at the tail end of their careers and not quite as impactful and good during their prime runs here.

Milano being out might have been the biggest reason we lost to KC.  Because not only was Milano out, so was Bernard.  Going into the game I specifically stated the thing I am afraid of the most is that KC is going to abuse and attack the massive hole at LB with both Milano and Bernard out.  And that is exactly what they did in a game we lost by 3.  Had we not been missing our LB's, that game very much might have looked different.  

Milano is maybe the closest thing left on our defense right now to an All Pro, and I would go as far as say he is our best defensive player this next year (assuming he is fully back from his injury).  Can't see any reason to trade him and with him and Bernard, suddenly LB is our strength instead of our absolute weakest spot next time we face KC.  

But I don't disagree with you on your overall point, in fact, I think guys like Poyer and Tre are questionable to be here for that very reason.  I just don't think Milano fits the description of someone we need to trade this year, especially with the heavy transition we are likely to see elsewhere on the defense.  With Hyde gone, and question marks around Tre, Poyer, and even Douglas...There is a chance we can be looking at 3 new starters in our secondary, possibly 4.  

So as far as Douglas goes, I am in the camp to keep him.  He was our best cornerback the moment he stepped on the field, and I would rather cut both Poyer and Tre to keep Douglas personally even though Tre and Poyer are two of my faves.  Douglas just has to more to offer this defense right now and he was the best secondary player on the team once he got here.  

Within our own division we face the Miami air attack, Jets could be dangerous air attack if Rodgers is even 75% the player he was, and if NE has a ton of cap room to get back in the mix still.  Then you still have KC and CIncy to contend with, plus who knows what impact Harbaugh has on Charges and Herbert this year.  Point is, in the AFC where the gauntlet of top QB's are, completely depleting your entire secondary on a defense that depends a lot on its secondary is going to really put even more pressure on Allen and this offense.  

So, that is why I would want to keep Douglas even if it means getting rid of two team and fan favorites like Poyer and Tre to make the cap room necessary to justify keeping Douglas.  But also, don't forget the cap is higher now, and with that bonus, I see even less reason to cut or trade Douglas.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, mrags said:

Not saying he isn’t but it sure hurts when he’s out for some of the most important games of the year. Pretty sure he’s missed multiple playoff games against very tough opponents. Sometimes the best ability is availability. And he’s not been good in that department. 

and yes, for us he’s worth it, but for another team to trade for him that’s another story 

The two seasons leading up to last year he missed one game each.....then the broken leg.  I use the availability argument too a lot.   Earlier in his career there was a lot of soft tissue injuries that I remember was being addressed with training/nutrition.    Injuries are part luck, part the person dealing with them, part habits and part genetics.   

Edited by Matt_In_NH

52 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The two seasons leading up to last year he missed one game each.....then the broken leg.  I use the availability argument too a lot.   Earlier in his career there was a lot of soft tissue injuries that I remember was being addressed with training/nutrition.    Injuries are part luck, part the person dealing with them, part habits and part genetics.   

He missed 2 last year. 1 the year before that. And 6 the year before that. He’s literally never completed a full season 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That terrible turf in london.  I thought we lost taron johnson in that game to a knee injury too.  

He does get nicked up often and does have a tendency to whiff on tackles in space, BUT...

This would be the equivalent of KC trading Chris Jones (if he was under contract). 

That's how important All Pro Milano is.

If healthy, he and Bernard would have been absolutely filthy.

He's the best cover LB in the league and solid at the LOS. 

He's on a team friendly contract.  Extremely underpaid coming in 17th  highest LB at a little over 14m.

No, I wouldn't crumble my cookie.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

He missed 2 last year. 1 the year before that. And 6 the year before that. He’s literally never completed a full season 

According to PFF he started 15 games in 2022, the Bills played 16 games, so how did he miss two?

That's a negative, Ghost Rider. 

That dude changes the whole defense. Offenses have to account for him. He's smart, fast, and always around the ball. He's a cornerstone player. Really wish he could've been back for the playoffs. He and Bernard make a really good pair. They might be a smidge undersized but they play big so that's all that matters. 

No I bring back Matt Milano because he has it. The ability to make plays something you can’t really coach you either got it or you don’t as a football player. Matt Milano injury was a great loss for the Buffalo Bills defense last year. Because Matt Milano is able to get through blocks to make plays on defense so yes I bring him back in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Bengals game/Damar Hamlin?  THe Bills played 16.

Well. We finished 16 games but started 17. Not sure how they are using that with the stat line. 

point is the guy is always hurt in some way. If he’s not missing games he’s limited. 

amen the bigger point which is what I said before, I’m fine with him on our team. But nobody is trading a significant pick for him. Between his age and injury history he’s not going anywhere 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The game does not exist in the NFL records, they played 16 games, period.

Still doesn’t take away from the fact that he’s never finished a full season in his career 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

is it stupid season or what? i may have to go away and come back draft night if this is what people think is an intelligent thought. 

The last 5 out of 7 posts i've opened have been like this.   arrrrgh

Appreciate you getting on just to be a smart a&@, Kirby.

Right or wrong, my premise was that Beane knows each player’s value, which positions have a potential surplus, cap implications, etc.

We have good, young linebackers on their rookie contracts.  And holes elsewhere.  

It’s about managing scarce resources to field the best team.

This was merely a “what if”.

• Vomit 1

11 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

With the emergence of Bernard, Dodson, Williams and Spector; and considering other holes to fill and limited cap space, does it make any sense to consider seeking a high pick for Milano?

I love Milano’s playing style and impact, it’s just interesting to think about what he could fetch in a trade/shedding his cap hit, and using a high pick in a loaded draft.

So you want to trade a 1st team all pro and just keep backups outside if Bernard?  One that has a significant cap hit to us when we don’t have $.  He’s basically the most talented player we have on defense and in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Right or wrong, my premise was that Beane knows each player’s value, which positions have a potential surplus, cap implications, etc.

We have good, young linebackers on their rookie contracts.  And holes elsewhere.  

Bernard is the only one that has proven anything at all. Who are the others? Dorian? Hasn’t proven anything. Spector? Might be okay. Dodson’s a FA. You talk about holes and yet want to create another gaping one and fill it with 2 guys with 52 total tackles in the NFL between the two of them.

That’s it. So “good young LBs (plural)” is just completely false. 

Edited by JoPoy88

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What happened to this place?

I know you’re asking rhetorically, but the honest answer is a lot of us have given up on “running it back” and want to see some real change this off-season. 

Of course a lot of the suggestions are financially difficult given Beane (probably) purposefully locking this group into this current window. 

Let’s hope we stay healthy and see what they can truly do next year. 

45 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

It is an awful idea and warranted the response. It’s not as bad as when people (or person) wanted to trade Mario Williams for John Skelton but it’s up there. The Bills need MORE stars, not less. Milano is probably their 2nd best player. They don’t get better subtracting him!! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

The Bills are FINE in terms of cap space. If you don’t believe me, I suggest that you watch Greg Tompsett’s take on the cap this offseason. The Bills will be able to add a couple of decent players (maybe Chinn/Dugger & Curtis Samuel) while bringing back Daquan Jones. They may even be able to fit Epenesa or Dane in there. I expect Lawson back as well.

In the draft, you’re adding a WR early and probably another (potentially early). You’re adding a S early (if you don’t sign one in FA). You’re using the rest of your picks to fill out the DL and depth. The Bills will absolutely be a better team, on paper, in 2024 than they were in 2023. 

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I know you’re asking rhetorically, but the honest answer is a lot of us have given up on “running it back” and want to see some real change this off-season. 

Of course a lot of the suggestions are financially difficult given Beane (probably) purposefully locking this group into this current window. 

Let’s hope we stay healthy and see what they can truly do next year. 

See above

No one is talking about running it back. We are talking about improving the weapons for Josh (duh) and getting younger and cheaper on the DL. The only “hard” decision that the Bills really have is bringing Von back. You hope he rebounds some and can clear that next year. They are fine. The sky is not falling (at all).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is an awful idea and warranted the response. It’s not as bad as when people (or person) wanted to trade Mario Williams for John Skelton but it’s up there. The Bills need MORE stars, not less. Milano is probably their 2nd best player. They don’t get better subtracting him!! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

The Bills are FINE in terms of cap space. If you don’t believe me, I suggest that you watch Greg Tompsett’s take on the cap this offseason. The Bills will be able to add a couple of decent players (maybe Chinn/Dugger & Curtis Samuel) while bringing back Daquan Jones. They may even be able to fit Epenesa or Dane in there. I expect Lawson back as well.

In the draft, you’re adding a WR early and probably another (potentially early). You’re adding a S early (if you don’t sign one in FA). You’re using the rest of your picks to fill out the DL and depth. The Bills will absolutely be a better team, on paper, in 2024 than they were in 2023. 

See above

No one is talking about running it back. We are talking about improving the weapons for Josh (duh) and getting younger and cheaper on the DL. The only “hard” decision that the Bills really have is bringing Von back. You hope he rebounds some and can clear that next year. They are fine. The sky is not falling (at all).

I don’t think that’s the only hard decision though. 

I think a real case could be made to flip over the secondary.  Any or all of Douglas, Tre and Poyer should be looked at.  That could free up 20M+ and then we pull a Chiefs of a few years ago and draft a bunch of DB’s. 

Are their risks to that.. YUP.  But I think with all that’s coming back on offense, it’s time to give Josh Allen everything he could possibly need to get us over the edge. 

Could flip that money into a legit boundary WR and then draft a WR early.  

Spend the rest on DL, make a run at Jeremy Chinn and then go heavy defense in the draft. 

I’ll take my chances with Benford, Elam, Johnson, Chinn and a RD2 or RD3 Safety like Kinchens, Bullard, Nubin etc.  Draft some corners and a safety early Day 3 & bring back Dane Jackson/Cam Lewis/Taylor Rapp as depth. 

Now, we’re building a roster than can keep up with the Chiefs who have already fixed their cap and I don’t know that we’re any worse for the wear… especially come playoff time - where this group has yet to step up.  

Edited by SCBills