Peter King announces retirement

dpberr

King was starting to lose it, as demonstrated by his loony take that the NY legislature might cancel the Bills’ stadium deal after the McDermott 911 speech story broke. Any time he ventured opinions outside the game of football, he was absolutely embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

End of an era. He was the last of a generation of writers that truly put out superb content that was detailed and always looking for interesting things readers wouldn't normally find. Even if I didn't agree with his article or take, I at least knew there was some true meat behind it.

He always seemed to have a soft spot for Buffalo despite being from Patriot land and was a good voice for the team. I will really miss his schedule insight as he usually was ahead of the curve on tidbits coming down the pipe. His best work to me though was his camp wide tour every August as it was a such a great and fun primer for every season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

congratulations on a long and wonderful career.

one of the few journalists i would week out. and i remember starting with this story in the back of the Sports Illustrated every week.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

6 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

He will always be Peter Queen to me

7 posts before somebody crapped on him..........I would have taken the under.🙂

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

His column was always a must read for me.  A very gifted writer with interesting opinions.  I did get the sense that his passion for the game wasn’t as high as it used to be though so I’m glad he’s hanging it up in that sense. I like how he gave some shout outs to some good young writers in his retirement announcement.

• Like (+1) 4

I read that article and I was shocked to read that Don Banks died at age 57. I guess I just did not realize he was gone.  His Banks Shots column was a frequent read for me back in the day.  I assumed he had retired.  

I liked King. He was a bit of a Patriot homer but he was fair.  He liked Buffalo especially the training camp atmosphere that has somehow transcended owners, coaches, GMs and Presidents of football operations.  

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

End of an era. He was the last of a generation of writers that truly put out superb content that was detailed and always looking for interesting things readers wouldn't normally find. Even if I didn't agree with his article or take, I at least knew there was some true meat behind it.

He always seemed to have a soft spot for Buffalo despite being from Patriot land and was a good voice for the team. I will really miss his schedule insight as he usually was ahead of the curve on tidbits coming down the pipe. His best work to me though was his camp wide tour every August as it was a such a great and fun primer for every season.

There are still some floating around on places like the athletic and the ringer, but I would agree that that is largely gone in the mid form (the sites I referenced are typically long form)...King wrote some longer stuff, but most of that was medium length stuff combined with other medium length sections to build out a large form like article.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

End of an era for me.  Peter King was a knowledgeable and great writer and part of a stable of great journalists at Sports Illustrated.  Growing up and into my 40’s SI was must read; family knew Thursday night (when SI would generally arrive in the mail) was sacred.  No one bothered me till every page was read.  King, Zimmerman, Kirkpatrick, Deford, Gary Smith, Leigh Montville, Steve Rushin, Jack McCollum (sp.), Rick Reilly and many more.  Unbelievably gifted writers that made SI a must for any sports fan.  

Now private equity money hogs have made a great magazine into nothing.  All to chase a buck.  It’s so damned depressing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, mannc said:

King was starting to lose it, as demonstrated by his loony take that the NY legislature might cancel the Bills’ stadium deal after the McDermott 911 speech story broke. Any time he ventured opinions outside the game of football, he was absolutely embarrassing.

Bob Costas is on line 1. LOL

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.