WR or Dlineman? What would be your main priority..

If the draft is deep at WR which they say it is, i say go DL, too  many holes there, we play like 8 of them, one them Von showed nothing this year.   I think they can get a quality receiver in the 3rd.    Draft seems very weak at edge rusher, especially by the time we pick, should still be some quality DTs in first and 2nd.   Talk all about adding more receivers, I see a SB team that won back to back after trading Tyreek Hill.   Getting sick of expecting Josh to play a perfect game because the D cant hold a lead.

As much as I love the conversation, it’s too early to tell. Combine, interviews, and Pro Days are necessary to properly get a feel for whoever is on your big board. I’d love to say WR for sure, but it really depends who is left, who falls, and what we can see down the road.

All that being said, here I go with my way-too-early thoughts: In these early stages leading up to the draft, I have started to like Brian Thomas Jr and Troy Franklin as possible WR options for us that could realistically be available. I think they have a good combo of size, speed, and playmaking ability, and if one of them is there I would feel good at this stage about drafting them.

…if WR prospects start coming off the board fast and furious, and we can’t wiggle our way up in the draft, we have a decision to make: do we take a lesser prospect WR earlier than intended (I say no), do we draft for a different position of need (probably), or can we trade back a little bit, get some decent compensation, and get a few secondary talents who can probably be good with a little coaching and practice? (I say maybe, depends on compensation and who is left out there)

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think your thinking is on the right track here.  The Bills are playing catch up and the problem in regards to the Chiefs is that's a moving target.  By the time you address some glaring problem they've moved past it and morphed into something different.  Like re-tooling their defense over the course of a couple season all while winning the Super Bowl twice.  Face it, that's a scary thought they can go through a re-load and at the same time win the title.  Also, lets not forget the rest of the competition, the Jet with Rodgers, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Bengals, Texans, and maybe even the Chargers with a coach that knows what he's doing.  Did I forget anybody?  Maybe the Jags?

Drafting a likely #1 WR in the 1st and giving Allen another target gets my vote.  I struggle with going D-line because the draft history there, with the exception of Oliver, hasn't yielded any consistent play makers.  Keeping all the picks and hitting on almost every one is going to be important.  Beane's in the spotlight here.

With everything I said. If Thomas, Franklin, Mitchell, as well as the assumed MHJ, Nabors, Coleman, and Odunze are off the board and Sweat is just sitting there staring you in the face, I say go with Sweat. But he’s literally the only defensive player I want over WR first and that’s only if all those guys are gone. If that happens, then I hope they go WR in both rd 2 AND 3 or at least 4. Getting a speed guy and a guy that can potentially turn into a #1 in time. For me, I’d go with the combination of something like Worthy and Walker here. If Walkers not there maybe McConkey, or Polk, or Burton. I’m not sure where Rice is prepared to go but I’d take him in like the 3rd or 4th if you partnered him with someone like Worthy. 

The Bills need significant impactful upgrades at WR, DE and S. This is a huge draft by Beane for the long term success of the franchise. He needs to hit on the first three picks. The misses on Ford, Moss, Boogie and Elam in the early rounds has caused Beane to reinvest draft capital and FA’s to get it addressed which has created a domino impact of not addressing other positions. 

Center is another position that could be in play if the right player is available.

At the end of the day, expecting to shutdown offenses in the modern NFL is unrealistic. The team needs to add more playmakers on offense!

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Bpa is the way to go if u have a safety that's rated a 8-10 on the board and a wr or de that's a 5-10 then u draft the safety. We've made to many mistakes in the draft just drafting for need. The Bills need difference makers whoever they see on the board that they can see reaching that potential then take them i don't care if it's a RB or a Safety just go get some stars on this team. 

We've seen plenty variations of champions and other then QB there's not really a definitive position that stands out as must have maybe other then pass rushers. Otherwise we seen teams with great Wrs win and average Wrs win and great CBs win and average CBs win I can go on and on. The thing is having 3-5 difference makers that's been the common denominator 

Nasty Nate is right.  We need difference-makers.  The team has a lot of solid players even, in some cases, as backups.  We need more difference-makers who can change the course of a game. 

I'd love a speedy Lee Evans-type wideout.  And I'd love a good edge who doesn't spend most of his time on the bench.  But whatever Beane does, I hope he finds playmakers.  I'll be happy with a shutdown corner who's also a ballhawk.  Or a bruising All-Pro OT who will keep Josh clean in the pocket and reliably push opponents back on third and short.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

If the draft is deep at WR which they say it is, i say go DL, too  many holes there, we play like 8 of them, one them Von showed nothing this year.   I think they can get a quality receiver in the 3rd.    Draft seems very weak at edge rusher, especially by the time we pick, should still be some quality DTs in first and 2nd.   Talk all about adding more receivers, I see a SB team that won back to back after trading Tyreek Hill.   Getting sick of expecting Josh to play a perfect game because the D cant hold a lead.

Because it's a deep draft at WR, you conclude we should take DTs in the first two rounds? That is complete crazy talk. First, you should prioritize the premium positions at the top of the draft. QB, WR, LT, CB. DT is not one of those. You can find big, serviceable DTs in the middle of the draft. You can find quick slot receivers there, too. A boundary receiver with size and speed is much harder to find. The best receivers are going in the top 40, and that's allowing for tier 1, tier 2, and probably a few of tier 3.

Sure, I take Sweat in the 2nd if he is there. I might even trade up a bit to grab him if I've already secured WR in the first. And if you are taking D that early, safety is very important in McD's system, though I think free agency and an early day 3 pick can address the need. The best thing to help Josh Allen is giving him quality WRs. A truly potent offense that scares the other team is what we should be, not a solid offense with Josh Allen elevating day 2 and 3 Wrs. That will also help our D by putting the other team more often in catch-up mode, which simplifies the options.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I know we all want to address the WR position but I still think the main priority for the team going forward is to re-establish the defensive front around Oliver. To beat Mahomes, You gotta affect the QB. It’s not the sexy pick but you have to keep investing in the D line. We just watched Mahomes win another SB and this time he didn’t have a single 1,000 yrd WR…

3 times vs. Mahomes in the playoffs and I don’t think we have one sack against him. I definitely think we need to add a WR but I don’t believe we should be putting all our chips in that basket. I think Brady is going to have to develop an offense that can get more out of the passing game and Diggs. 

I would love a better D-Line, but Chiefs also did just beat a top 3 talent D-Line team in the Superbowl... Scoring more is still the name of the game in my opinion. 

D-line. How many 1st Rounders does KC at WR? I'll give you a hint it starts with Z and ends in ero. We were able to turn a 2nd Round RB into the 4th leading rusher in the league. A 5th Rounder in Diggs has been amongst the best at his position. Look at the league leaders in receptions last year it's littered with WR drafted outside Round 1. By contrast look at sack leaders, at least half of the top 20 were selected in Round 1. Because pass rusher is more about pure speed, strength and athleticism. Where receiving is about route running, short area quickness and getting open quicker sooner than later and ability to avoid or strong enough to get off a jam. Why did the 49ers lose Sunday? Not because they couldn't score in OT but because they couldn't stop KC's offense in the OT.

• Like (+1) 1

In a vacuum, it's WR first. We need a starter there and difference makers at that position will be out of our price range in FA or Trade. But it really depends on how the board falls and what we've been able to do in FA.

If we aren't able to address DT (need a starter and 3 more for rotation and depth) or DE (need a guy you feel comfortable starting as we can't strictly rely on Von), there's a guy who's sticking out at one of those positions, and the guys we absolutely love at WR are gone and there's a group of guys they like that are similarly graded - maybe we wait.

But if that's the case and they do go D-Line in Round 1 - then he needs to trade up from 60 to secure one of the WR's he likes before there's another drop off talent wise. Absolutely cannot afford to wait until 60 and hope someone falls in their lap.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

10 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I know we all want to address the WR position but I still think the main priority for the team going forward is to re-establish the defensive front around Oliver. To beat Mahomes, You gotta affect the QB. It’s not the sexy pick but you have to keep investing in the D line. We just watched Mahomes win another SB and this time he didn’t have a single 1,000 yrd WR…

3 times vs. Mahomes in the playoffs and I don’t think we have one sack against him. I definitely think we need to add a WR but I don’t believe we should be putting all our chips in that basket. I think Brady is going to have to develop an offense that can get more out of the passing game and Diggs. 

You stop Mahomes by scoring more points that his team.  The strategy of holding him to fewer points in the playoffs seems to be a fail.  Lets build the offense that scores 35 against Mahomes, and hope and pray the defense doesn't give up 36.  WR is a priority over Dline. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.