Is OT in the playoffs still broken?

Big Turk

Back when this was a hot topic a few years ago I came up with, what I thought, was a fair and highly competitive way to do OT. Basically, each team gets at least 1 possession (with an exception I will highlight), and has to outscore their opponent following their possession. Here was my breakdown:

1. If the receiving team has to punt or has a fumble/interception,  the other team only needs to kick a FG to win. Team A had 0 points, team B only needs 3.

2. if the receiving team kicks a FG, the other team must put up more points on their possession. They must score a TD to win (no extra point needed). Team A has 3 points, team B needs at least 6 from a TD.

3. If the receiving team gets the TD but misses the extra point or 2-point conversion, the other team needs a TD and extra point to win. Team A has 6 points, team B needs at least 7.

4. If the receiving team gets a TD and the extra point, the other team must get a TD and 2 point conversion to win. Team A has 7 points, team B needs 8.

The game ends immediately if one of the following happens:

a. The receiving team gets a TD and makes a 2 point conversion - this can't be topped as far as points are concerned, so the other team will not get a possession. 

b. The receiving team gives up a safety or pick-6. They had their possession and the opposing Defense scored. No need for the other team offense to take the field.

I know it’s not perfect, but it seems like fun and even more exciting to watch with the stakes a bit higher.

Edited by KingBoots8

On 2/13/2024 at 10:57 AM, Sundo91 said:

I wish they would simply play another full quarter.

I'm genuinely surprised that the NFL, a league that's driven to make as much money as it can, does not want MOAR FOOTBALL to sell advertising on.  Especially knowing they can charge even more as more eyeballs tune in for OT.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:54 AM, Big Turk said:

While it's nice they addressed the fact that each team is now guaranteed at least one possession, that still leaves the situation of is it really fair that if both teams are the same after the first possession then the team with the 3rd possession can win it with no ability to respond for the other?

I'd say no.

I'm not sure why the NFL doesn't just go to the college OT format. It clearly is the most fair, as both teams are guaranteed the same number of possessions, and it comes down to which team scores more points on the same number of possessions, not which team has the ball for the 3rd possession of the game is still tied after the first 2.

The NFL still has it wrong even with their "fix" in the playoffs IMO. 

Perhaps that is why Shanahan took the ball first? Never thought of this possibility but if both teams scored TDs or FGs or had to punt, then the team with the 3rd possession only needs a FG to win the game.

It’s really the only sport that has to worry about this stuff.  Baseball has a natural progression.  Other time based sports like hockey and basketball have possessions regularly changing.  With frequent scoring in hoop and infrequent scoring in hockey, their systems make sense, especially in the NHL playoff.  Soccer, a stupid sport, has a stupid system as it is much more well suited for sudden death like hockey but opts for the random penalty kicks after a fixed period.  Dumb.  Ties in regular season make sense but a World Cup final decided by penalty kicks is absurd.

I don’t think there is really a great system possible for football without making it hokey like college.

I thought the Super Bowl OT was equitable.  SF got the choice and wanted the ball (wouldnt have been my decision).  They drove down and took a FG.  KC got their chance and did better and got a walk-off touchdown.  

As far as wondering if a 3rd possession is fair.  I think that is far enough down the trough that we can say tough luck.  If you win the toss, you can choose the ball 1st (which IMO is a disadvantaged position) and get that 3rd possession.  

The team with possession 2 has the gift of knowing the result of possession 1.  They can be in 4-down territory if need be.  They can decide not to settle for a game-tying field goal and go for it.  They can go for 2 instead of the PA to claim the win.  

If the 3rd possession is in a scoreless game, I think we have had enough plays and movement in field position to let things fall as they may.  Team 2 did get a chance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/13/2024 at 9:25 AM, st pete gogolak said:

I always thought soccer was weird in not having sudden death when teams go into overtime (sometimes they do - a golden goal, sometimes they don’t).  A team gives up a goal and then has a chance to tie or win and it goes to more overtime or penalty kicks (which is an awful way to end a match).  Maybe that would be the “fairest” way to go in NFL playoffs - 15 minute overtime.  If the game is tied at that point, then moves to sudden death.

After 120 minutes in soccer, I don't think you could really tack on more time when you have no idea how long it could go on for. Especially when these players are playing so frequently throughout the year.

There really is no off-season anymore for them with all the league games, cup games, tournaments and qualifying matches they are playing. They definitely have the most grueling schedule year-round of any sport. Baseball is pretty tough but they have a long off-season to get rested up. Soccer has no such period outside a few weeks here and there.

On 2/13/2024 at 5:54 AM, Big Turk said:

While it's nice they addressed the fact that each team is now guaranteed at least one possession, that still leaves the situation of is it really fair that if both teams are the same after the first possession then the team with the 3rd possession can win it with no ability to respond for the other?

I'd say no.

I'm not sure why the NFL doesn't just go to the college OT format. It clearly is the most fair, as both teams are guaranteed the same number of possessions, and it comes down to which team scores more points on the same number of possessions, not which team has the ball for the 3rd possession of the game is still tied after the first 2.

The NFL still has it wrong even with their "fix" in the playoffs IMO. 

Perhaps that is why Shanahan took the ball first? Never thought of this possibility but if both teams scored TDs or FGs or had to punt, then the team with the 3rd possession only needs a FG to win the game.

Shanahan made an all-time blunder.  “Playing for the third possession” is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

On 2/13/2024 at 11:13 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

But there is the issue...they are not equal advantages.  That is the point people are making on college vs pros.  

The OT rule is improved now, but college system is still the single only true equal opportunity structure.  

Hardly.  The team that gets the ball second has a distinct advantage in college and in the NFL.

It'd be fun to see alternating players tee the ball up at the 25 and try to knock it thru the uprights using a specialty made NFL version Big Bertha Driver.  

First one to miss losses the game.  

Unpopular take otherwise, if you find yourself in OT, maybe you should have done something different to have avoided that, the least of which is hardly to have played better in regulation or not made key mistakes.  

Edited by PBF81

On 2/13/2024 at 5:58 AM, Bob Jones said:

Or how about a 10 minute ( or even shorter) OT period? Whoever is ahead at the end wins.

Ten minutes is fair, no reason to make it shorter. Either the college system or an extra timed period are the most fair ways to resolve a tie game in regulation imo. Anything else makes the coin flip too much of an advantage and deciding factor. Let the teams settle it and make the result of the toss much less of a factor. 

Why all the stubbornness against making it fair and balanced? 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

another solution in search of a problem.

it's fine--each teams offense and defense gets a shot to end it.  both teams had 4 Q's to settle it: now that it's OT, step up or step out. 

Both teams had 4 qtrs to settle it and the score is tied, why give either team an advantage with a coin toss in such a close contest?

It's not a solution in search of a problem. Its a problem.

College rules guarantee teams the same number of possessions, why is it okay that the NFL does not? Why after battling for 60 minutes should one team gain an advantage by winning a coin toss? 

On 2/13/2024 at 3:25 PM, st pete gogolak said:

I always thought soccer was weird in not having sudden death when teams go into overtime (sometimes they do - a golden goal, sometimes they don’t).  A team gives up a goal and then has a chance to tie or win and it goes to more overtime or penalty kicks (which is an awful way to end a match).  Maybe that would be the “fairest” way to go in NFL playoffs - 15 minute overtime.  If the game is tied at that point, then moves to sudden death.

They tried the golden goal thing for a while but it was awful. Teams didn’t dare to attack and the overtime was usually just a very boring wait for a penalty shootout. The way it is with 2x15 minutes no matter if anyone scores is much better. 

Maybe the NFL needs some kind of penalty shootout thing? I agree that overtime in the NFL becomes unfair pretty much no matter how you do it. 

7 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Both teams had 4 qtrs to settle it and the score is tied, why give either team an advantage with a coin toss in such a close contest?

It's not a solution in search of a problem. Its a problem.

College rules guarantee teams the same number of possessions, why is it okay that the NFL does not? Why after battling for 60 minutes should one team gain an advantage by winning a coin toss? 

This is pro football.  Both teams are guaranteed  a possession in the playoffs---this has made the coin toss less important.  If you lose the toss and the other team takes the ball first, stop them from scoring, or at least stop a TD.  If both teams score a TD or a FG, then the game continues. 

College is a joke--look no further than Penn State/Illinois a few years ago--endless 2 point conversions form the 25 after the third OT. 

People will whine about anything.

This could be made so much simpler if in the playoffs, you just eliminate the coin toss and home gets ball/choice.  Sudden death.  Make the regular season matter.

Super bowl would need to be a little different because of the home team thing...just make that first team to score 6 points (one TD or 2FG) wins the game after a coin toss to decide who gets ball.

50 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

just make that first team to score 6 points (one TD or 2FG) wins the game after a coin toss to decide who gets ball.

I'd be intrigued by this if that number was 9 or 10.

Turn off the clock and the first team to double digits wins could be really entertaining.

You get one timeout or challenge, whichever you choose to use. Only scores and turnovers are automatically reviewed.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:58 AM, Bob Jones said:

Or how about a 10 minute ( or even shorter) OT period? Whoever is ahead at the end wins.

OT should be a full quarter/fifteen minutes, odds of a tie at that point is likely quite small with all the fatigue of having played a standard length game already, if still tied, the team that misses the first fifty yard field goal loses, lots of drama, ample opportunities for both team to win, it is the way to conduct overtime play. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.