If McDermott doesn’t get it done, would the Bills bring in Shanahan if he left SF after next season?

The 9 Isles

I like McD. I think his career will land him in the Hall of Very Good even if he doesn't lift the Lombardi as HC. 

That said, if Shanahan becomes available you hand him a blank check. 

SF moving on would be so dumb. Shanahan has brought that team to the last 4 Conference Championships. His SB loses are to the greatest HC/QB combo's the league has ever seen in Brady/Bill and Mahomes/Reid. He is more or less the 3rd best HC in the league. 2nd now that Bill is gone.

55 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Bill's defense also played a part in those Super Bowls. Like the 13-3 win over the Rams. Was it the whopping 13 points they put up or Bill's D shutting the door and holding them to 3 points. Or even the 20-17 win against the Rams in the Pats first Super Bowl win. How about the INT at the end the Super Bowl against the Seahawks that preserved the win. How about making in game adjustments against the Falcons when they fell behind 28-3 only to shut them out the rest of the way so the Pats could come back and win in OT 34-28. Brady was a huge part of the dynasty but so was Bill.

Hey, I agree that the Patriot's defense was a big big reason as to why they won so many SBs. Especially early in Brady's career.

Now look at the guy lately as no teams wanted to hire ole Bill as an HC. The Falcons owner stated that they didn't discuss anything other than him being the HC and still passed on him. Age might have something to do with it.

The Patriot's last two seasons were 8-9 and this past year 4-13 :bag: Plus, ole Bill told the NE owner that Brady was done and he went. T off to win another SB with Tampa. There was a real reason that no teams wanted to hire the guy.

I know sure as hell I wouldn't want to see an HC that hired an ex-DC to be his OC for the next Buffalo HC. Whatever magic the man had is long gone.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Hey, I agree that the Patriot's defense was a big big reason as to why they won so many SBs. Especially early in Brady's career.

Now look at the guy lately as no teams wanted to hire ole Bill as an HC. The Falcons owner stated that they didn't discuss anything other than him being the HC and still passed on him. Age might have something to do with it.

The Patriot's last two seasons were 8-9 and this past year 4-13 :bag: Plus, ole Bill told the NE owner that Brady was done and he went. T off to win another SB with Tampa. There was a real reason that no teams wanted to hire the guy.

I know sure as hell I wouldn't want to see an HC that hired an ex-DC to be his OC for the next Buffalo HC. Whatever magic the man had is long gone.

In his defense going from Brady to Jones is a huge drop-off at the most important position. No coach could overcome that.

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Swap the two teams divisions and leave everything else untouched the Bills have been to multiple Superbowls and the 9ers haven't made any.

Bingo.

49ers would be in tough with this division. 

I feel like Shanahan would probably win a SB here because Allen has the authority to change at the line. And Allen can probably overcome more coaching mistakes than a Purdy.

If the team were going all in for one year, I'd want Belichick. But he will be 73 by 2025.

Just now, Gregg said:

In his defense going from Brady to Jones is a huge drop-off at the most important position. No coach could overcome that.

That's not the reason. In his first season under OC Josh McDaniels, QB Mac Jones got them to the playoffs. 10-7

Then the very next season OC McDaniels went to the Raiders and ole Bill has an ex-DC as an OC. Wow, just wow. That move probably ruined Mac Jones forever. 

8 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Bingo.

49ers would be in tough with this division. 

I feel like Shanahan would probably win a SB here because Allen has the authority to change at the line. And Allen can probably overcome more coaching mistakes than a Purdy.

If the team were going all in for one year, I'd want Belichick. But he will be 73 by 2025.

When you play for Kyle Shanahan you don't have the authority to change plays at the line beyond the very strict set rules. You paint by the numbers he draws or he dumps you and gets someone who will. In Kyle Shanahan's offense the Quarterback is an extension of Kyle's brain. That is how it has to work. It is non-negotiable. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

When you play for Kyle Shanahan you don't have the authority to change plays at the line beyond the very strict set rules. You paint by the numbers he draws or he dumps you and gets someone who will. In Kyle Shanahan's offense the Quarterback is an extension of Kyle's brain. That is how it has to work. It is non-negotiable. 

Then I don't think Shanahan/Allen would work. Maybe that's why he didn't go after Brady in 2020 either 

Elite QB's aren't going to continously go with meh playcalls. 

• Agree 1

Swap the two teams divisions and leave everything else untouched the Bills have been to multiple Superbowls and the 9ers haven't made any.

because we beat the chiefs in the Super Bowl but not in the divisional round?

Of course I realise that. Our problem is largely we can't get past Mahomes. Kyle Shanahan has the same problem just two rounds later. 

Look at his QB man . 

Allen would be unfair in the Shanny system 

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

because we beat the chiefs in the Super Bowl but not in the divisional round?

I didn't say that.

9 minutes ago, DJB said:

Look at his QB man . 

Allen would be unfair in the Shanny system 

If you have Josh Allen you don't have all the pieces.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't say that.

If you have Josh Allen you don't have all the pieces.

We currently have a solid oline and still arguably a top 10 WR in Diggs. Kincaid likely takes a step and hopefully Cooks does as well. Add in potentially a first round WR and yeah we have tons of offensive pieces for Shanny to use .

Allen would be cheat code in his system. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

We currently have a solid oline and still arguably a top 10 WR in Diggs. Kincaid likely takes a step and hopefully Cooks does as well. Add in potentially a first round WR and yeah we have tons of offensive pieces for Shanny to use .

Allen would be cheat code in his system. 

I don't think Josh in the Shanny scheme is the slam dunk everyone thinks. He hates ad libbing and Josh loves playing out of structure. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Josh in the Shanny scheme is the slam dunk everyone thinks. He hates ad libbing and Josh loves playing out of structure. 

No QB can ever play with structure 100% of the time. Josh usually only

ad libs whenever the line breaks down. We saw Purdy do it on Sunday

We all know your distain for Shanny but you are grasping at straws here . 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

No QB can ever play with structure 100% of the time. Josh usually only

ad libs whenever the line breaks down. We saw Purdy do it on Sunday

We all know your distain for Shanny but you are grasping at straws here . 

I don't have any disdain for Shanahan. I have called him possibly the greatest offensive play designer of all time. He is the best Quarterback hider in football. He needs less at that position to win than any other coach. He was one of the guys I wanted here in 2015 but he screwed up the interview. 

I just think there is a level of cognitive dissonance that goes on when you discuss him.and his success from people who only look at that. I a) don't think Josh in his scheme is the slam dunk some do; b) think he makes at least as many (probably more) poor in game decisions as McDermott has in the playoffs; c) also hasn't managed to get past Mahomes and KC. So some of the extrapolations people are making are reaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Kyle Shannahan has been to 4 NFC championship games. 

Has beaten a MVP Rodgers twice ,  Cousins, Dak , Goff & a young gun in Love . 

Mcd has beaten in the playoffs

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer

Skyler Want to go home Thompson

Lamar IS IT STILL THE REGULAR SEASON JACKSON! 

Phillip Can't DeRivers! 

Wow Mcd your the man! 

Please nobody ever compare Shanny to Mcd! At least Shanny been to Superbowls to be critiqued for

What's to disagree about here @GunnerBill

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is a comparison. You only see one side of it. 

I'm breaking down there records in the playoffs and who they beat what's wrong with the facts they don't fit your argument? At the end of the day Mcd can't get the job done plain and simple. When I pay someone to paint my house I'm not paying them to paint half of it and that's what Mcd is doing winning in the regular season and not when it matters most. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I'm breaking down there records in the playoffs and who they beat what's wrong with the facts they don't fit your argument? At the end of the day Mcd can't get the job done plain and simple. When I pay someone to paint my house I'm not paying them to paint half of it and that's what Mcd is doing winning in the regular season and not when it matters most. 

And nor can Kyle. That is the exact point. That is where they are comparable. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not while the Pegulas are our owners. Shanahan tanked his interview here in 2015 when they hired Rex. They hated him.

Wow, that I di not know - not surprising at all I guess.  He looks like a tool.....acts like a tool.....perhaps - he is a tool!!!

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not while the Pegulas are our owners. Shanahan tanked his interview here in 2015 when they hired Rex. They hated him.

great talent evaluation by pegs taking rex over shanny.  perhaps could correct that. 

52 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I would certainly call 0-3 in the big one not winning when it matters most lol

I know this is an unpopular opinion but Shanahan wasn't to blame for the Super Bowl loss. Purdy was. An offense can't function consistently with a QB that has zero ability to make plays with any sort of mess in the pocket. It's a minor miracle that their offense worked as well as it did this season. Deebo Samuel also clearly wasn't close to healthy, so you take away the #1 WR combined with a limited QB going against a stellar defense, no one should be surprised by the result. His team also held the Chiefs to 3 points in the 1st half, and just 1 TD in regulation which only came off of a muffed punt. As far as coaching goes it doesn't get much better than that. I get the complaint about his unwillingness to run but the Chiefs were focusing on shutting the run down all night because they had no fear that Purdy's arm would take advantage of those favorable looks.

It's silly to compare Shanahan's record against the Chiefs in the playoffs versus McDermott's. One of them has a QB capable of matching Mahomes' play in the playoffs, the other has a backup QB. At least Shanahan's team didn't get steamrolled the entire game. I mean this has got to be the only place on the internet where anybody places McDermott and Shanahan in the same conversation.

So of course I would be enthralled if we somehow ended up with Kyle Shanahan. Hopefully the 49ers are dumb enough to make him the sacrificial lamb next year and then inevitably fall into purgatory when their QB problem doesn't magically solve itself. We could have our pick of the litter if McDermott fails again - Ben Johnson, Kyle Shanahan, Mike Vrabel. Who wants their chance with a top 2 QB and a good core of young talent?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And nor can Kyle. That is the exact point. That is where they are comparable. 

It’s amazing the mental gymnastics some people on here do to prop up other coaches (ex:Shanahan) or players (ex: Herbert) while continually putting down the Bills. Especially in this case-getting the job done for most people is winning the Super Bowl. It baffles me that people are arguing that Shanahan is getting the job done according to their own criteria  

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shanahan made it to the SuperBowl with Brock Purdy

McDermott can't get out of the divisional round with Josh Allen

And who do both have trouble beating?   Chiefs.   It’s the same problem they just run into the problem in differnt rounds. 

16 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Gunner do u realize the Bills last 3 wins in the playoffs were against Rudolph, Thompson and Mac Jones? Mof who has Mcd beaten ? Rivers playing in last game which btw we almost lost that game and Lamar the regular season Champ of QBs ? Mcd ain't promised nothing in any conference when he struggles to beat the Thompson's and Old man Rivers of the world.

Save your breath....Gunner will be the last one on the USS McDermott.  Trying to break through is pointless. 

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shanahan made it to the SuperBowl with Brock Purdy

McDermott can't get out of the divisional round with Josh Allen

If the Buffalo Bills happened to be in the NFC they probably would have already been in the SB. The best team in the NFL has kept them out.

Wanna see a chart that shows the best teams in the NFL the last five years?  The top five are the Chiefs 63-20, Bills 58-24, Ravens 56-27, Packers 56-27, 49ers 54-29. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-teams-in-the-last-5-years-in-nfl

The Kansas City Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid, now Spags have just been the best team in the NFL. The Buffalo Bills lost to the Chiefs this season in the playoffs... at home... with an injury-riddled defense... by a missed FG. 

• Agree 2

I wouldn’t hate it actually. Look what he’s done with a 7th round QB and also led Jimmy Garrapollo to a SB. The skill players on that team are amazing as well. I could only imagine what he could do with an elite QB like JA. Still I’m not ready to give up on McDermott. I feel like I’m in an abusive relationship 

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

My thought exactly!  What's the point? 

Unless they were to go with the hot OC/DC type like Ben Johnson then the only proven coach out there is Bill and Pete. The Seahawks forced Pete Caroll to step down as HC and take an advisor position with them. At this point I don't know if he would want to come east. He did win a Super and National Championship. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.