Thoughts on Kyle Shanahan?

Process

32 minutes ago, Process said:

The guy gets praised as an offensive genius and rightfully so, but he sure does choke in big games. 

3 superbowls with double digit leads. 3 losses. (2 as HC)

Several examples of players not executing last night, including fumbles and missed passes, so not all coaching. But it starts at the top and Bills fans should know, it's hard to overcome a HC that puts the team in bad spots. 

Questionable calls on multiple key third downs, not prepared at all for KC blitz

Stretch where it seemed like he got away from the run too much

Could have got the ball back before halftime with 50 seconds and 1TO, but elected to let the clock run out

Chose to receive in OT, which is inexcusable IMO. And then made it even worse by kicking the FG instead of going for a TD

Players didn't even know the overtime rules until they saw it on the jumbotron before OT

Pretty much nailed it all. I’m not a huge sports talk enthusiast but they have their place to see the difference of perspectives which I always try to appreciate…

Orlovsky said it best: “You kick the ball so you don’t give Mahomes and Reid 4 downs to work with”. 

Pretty simple but hindsight is always 20/20. 

If they hold KC to a FG then they go and drive the field for points then he comes away looking like a genius. 

He’s culpable for most of the blame as to why they lost however, I just got done watching the condensed version of the game and Nick Bosa played like absolute crap towards the end of the game there…

3rd &1 he overpursues and tackles no one lol… Pacheco is on the other hash mark getting stood up. The next play is 4th & 1 where he bites hard on the fake when Kelce is even flashing past him and doesn’t chip you?!?! instead of staying disciplined (which you would think to do after tackling the invisible ball carrier). He would have had to make Mahomes force it to Kelce who was smothered. 

On the same drive 2&7 from the SF 10 on a short field cover 4 he bails off contain to chase Pacheco on the dump whilst Kelce is literally sliding behind Taylor for the pass… The very next play he chases after the rusher leaving Mahomes a clear as day window to throw or run the ball for the TD. 

All of that from a guy who’s the highest paid defensive player in history who you’re paying an average of $34m a year…

For that, he was an absolute let down. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

49ers simply won the weaker conference. They would have lost to just about all 7 of the AFC playoff teams.

Absolutely.  The NFC doesn't have a single elite QB...the AFC has at least six. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

49ers simply won the weaker conference. They would have lost to just about all 7 of the AFC playoff teams.

@BeavercreekBillsFan didn’t think the 9ers would lose one game all year. I tried to tell him!

12 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I was thinking this when they kept talking up Spagnuolo’s defense. He’s a good coach, but they wouldn’t be such an amazing defense if they had to overcome Mahomes to win the AFC title. Spagnuolo doesn’t really know how to stop Allen, and I think our defense could perform just as well against SF. 

The Bills only scored 7 points the entire second half versus the Chiefs. Yes, there were drops and a missed FG that factored into that, but they also lined up to punt more times than the Chiefs, so Spags did his job. Hopefully Joe Brady will spend the offseason studying tendencies of certain DCs.

• Like (+1) 1

He's got Samuel and CMC so he puts the game on Purdy's shoulders/arm in the face of a blitzing front backed up by an outstanding secondary.  He did this at a crucial interval and he went back to it even after seeing Purdy running for his life and/or throwing off his back foot. Allen can sometimes get away with this. Purdy?
Colour me puzzled, but then I'm not a genius like him.

• Like (+1) 1

Did not trust his gut as a football coach.

You knew KC was sending the house on 3rd down because that's what Spagnola does.

You knew Mahomes was always running it on the 4th downs.

You knew the KC defense was tired so run, run and run some more.

I think analytics terrorizes coaches into paralysis with in-game adjustments, including our own.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Process said:

The Chiefs would have gone for 2 if both teams scored a TD. Players confirmed that after the game. 

I'm grateful it didn't come to that. KC winning like that in the exact scenario the Allen rule was implemented for (because the Bills were denied an OT possession in the 2022 divisional round) would have been as galling as it is Billsy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

When you think about it the guy is working a 7th-round draft pick at QB and they went into OT in the SB. 

Smart guy...but wasn't he the OC in Atlanta when the Falcon's offense couldn't close out the SB against the Patriots? 

Seeing the Chiefs lining up with a first down at the five yard line in OT how could one not think back to Brady and the Pats lining up with a first near the goal line at the end back then. And the outcome was the same. No surprise.

44 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

He completely bungled OT. I think it shows a low IQ guy. These guys are gifted so much talent on their team, and then they don't have the intellectual capacity to conceptualize the strategic differences between the old OT rules and the new playoff OT rules. Also, you have to know your opponent and the time of the game. Both defenses are gassed, your goal has to be score at least 7 (I'd argue if you get the ball first, you should be trying to get 8 and force your opponent to match).

You have to make sure Mahomes isn't getting the ball in a walk-off situation. Because he's shown most of the time to be able to convert it.

But that's exactly what could have happened if the 49's had kicked off.  The only guaranteed walk off is the 3rd possession which the team that took the ball first in OT gets.  Not saying I agree with them taking the ball for other reasons, but the walk off argument just isn't one of them.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Process said:

The guy gets praised as an offensive genius and rightfully so, but he sure does choke in big games. 

3 superbowls with double digit leads. 3 losses. (2 as HC)

Several examples of players not executing last night, including fumbles and missed passes, so not all coaching. But it starts at the top and Bills fans should know, it's hard to overcome a HC that puts the team in bad spots. 

Questionable calls on multiple key third downs, not prepared at all for KC blitz

Stretch where it seemed like he got away from the run too much

Could have got the ball back before halftime with 50 seconds and 1TO, but elected to let the clock run out

Chose to receive in OT, which is inexcusable IMO. And then made it even worse by kicking the FG instead of going for a TD

Players didn't even know the overtime rules until they saw it on the jumbotron before OT

You do know that if the 49ers hadn't muffed a punt on their own 16 yd line, or if McCloud had just fallen on the damned ball instead of trying to pick it up, we would likely be having a very different discussion today?  How did Shanahan cause that? 

Then, the blocked extra point.  How did Shanahan cause the kicker to kick it low enough to be blocked?

Look, X's and O's matter.  But when you have two very good teams playing each other, the Jimmies and the Joes also matter.   Reid had some calls that I thought weren't the best either.  Bottom line, San Francisco committed more unforced errors, including one that gift-wrapped a TD for KC.  I'm ordinarily a big one for saying that you can't change one play, but that fumble on the SF 16 yd line was a game changer for sure.

It didn't help Shanahan to lose Greenlaw and go down to their 3rd string RG, either.

I'm not trying to make excuses - KC played well and won the game.  My point is that when two very good teams play, the media narrative will invariably paint the winners as the genius dynasty and the losers as bumblers.  But under the hood, it will often turn on a few key plays - that muffed punt fumble; an injury or two; not being prepared to stop Mahomes runs at the end of the game; etc

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

He's a great coach, top 3 for sure and light years better than McDivisional because at least he's gotten 2 chances to beat Mahomes in the superbowl vs just the playoffs.

And anybody that still believes otherwise look at the QB's he's done it with, does anybody believe the results would be the same if you swapped McD for Shannahan going back to 2019? The 49ers with Allen/Shanahan have at least one ring right now and Bills with McD/Purdy/Jimmy G likely don't have close to the same success, that is if you consider flaming out in the divisonal round 3 straight years a success.

• Haha (+1) 1

He’s great at letting the teams I despise win championships. I have no clue why he can’t win in the big one - probably hubris. Kick the ball in OT. Run the ball when your OPOY is on your team. This is a Seattle vs NE level meltdown in my opinion, not Atlanta vs. NE. He tried being clever rather than being efficient in a game where he just needed to hold on and let his offense do what they do best.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

He's a great coach, top 3 for sure and light years better than McDivisional because at least he's gotten 2 chances to beat Mahomes in the superbowl vs just the playoffs.

It kind of helps that SF is in the NFC, ya know? :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

And anybody that still believes otherwise look at the QB's he's done it with, does anybody believe the results would be the same if you swapped McD for Shannahan going back to 2019? The 49ers with Allen/Shanahan have at least one ring right now and Bills with McD/Purdy/Jimmy G likely don't have close to the same success, that is if you consider flaming out in the divisonal round 3 straight years a success.

Your argument is dumb. The 49ers are in the NFC. Of course he can get to the Superbowl in the NFC. Who does he have to contend with over there?

Also, the "what if" scenarios about switching coaches and switching QB's as proof of anything is completely stupid. Nobody knows how those scenarios would pan out. It is useless to bring them up all the time like you and others do. It does not support any argument.

Edited by MJS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.