Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

13 minutes ago, transient said:

You’re a self proclaimed Diggs fan; when has he EVER said something that was straightforward? 

In this 19s clip, what I hear is him saying, is that he doesn’t know about the money and all that… 

Right. That's exactly what many of us are responding to. His tendency to never give a straightforward positive answer. People aren't perfect. Diggs isn't either. You don't have to dig (no pun intended) so hard to defend him (but I admit its funnier and makes for better conversation when you do).

Its much easier (and better) to give a short, positive answer than it is to give answers like "I dont know" and "I'll be ready wherever it goes" in response to someone asking if you will be with your team next year.

98% of NFL players are able to do this just fine. Josh Allen gets asked absolutely ridiculous questions all season and he answers them like a pro. At one point a reporter straight up told him "this offense doesnt look like its good enough to win a Super Bowl". Allen took it in stride and just responded "okay".

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Right. That's exactly what many of us are responding to. His tendency to never give a straightforward positive answer. People aren't perfect. Diggs isn't either. You don't have to dig (no pun intended) so hard to defend him (but I admit its funnier and makes for better conversation when you do).

Its much easier (and better) to give a short, positive answer than it is to give answers like "I dont know" and "I'll be ready wherever it goes" in response to someone asking if you will be with your team next year.

98% of NFL players are able to do this just fine. Josh Allen gets asked absolutely ridiculous questions all season and he answers them like a pro. At one point a reporter straight up told him "this offense doesnt look like it’s good enough to win a Super Bowl". Allen took it in stride and just responded "okay".

So, I feel like what I’m saying is less about defending Diggs, and more about pointing out the absolute uselessness of trying to interpret his intentions by micro dissecting what he says.

In my opinion, it’s the way the dude is wired. It’s how he’s talked from the moment he got here. Expecting something different from him and highlighting every time it doesn’t happen is an exercise in futility. You, of anyone, should know, as the definition of insanity is often misappropriated to you, Einstein. 

Speculation going around that Diggs recently reached out to a retired Texans WR about the city and organization & has built a relationship with Stroud

If he doesn’t want to be here, send him out.

Diggs + 3rd in 25 + 5th  for HOU 23rd overall

add more / higher rounds if needed

I want two 1sts for 2 WR’s

56 minutes ago, KHAN said:

I'll take "Things that don't matter" for $1000 Alex.

The Bills and Diggs both know he's here next year, and nothing else is even an option.

this is simply not true.  The Bills can create 19 million in cap space this year if he’s traded and it’s designated post June 1st

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Speculation going around that Diggs recently reached out to a retired Texans WR about the city and organization & has built a relationship with Stroud

this is simply not true.  The Bills can create 19 million in cap space this year if he’s traded and it’s designated post June 1st

Just wondering, where did you see/hear/read this speculation? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Here we go.

It's bad enough the media likes to make something out of nothing every year. Do we really need to do it every year too?

It's nothing. Same as last year. His contract isn't really tradable. Especially with how he played at the end of last year. Why would a team take that on if there's any concern he's falling off?

As for what he said, I read it as nothing. I just took it as him looking at how things ended last season and the team being a mess roster wise and not taking for granted that he's safe. Reports are he's not unhappy or looking to move:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-is-sean-mcdermott-hot-seat-insider-notes-bills-hc-s-future-stefon-diggs-speculation-seahawks-coaching-search?utm_source=www.sportskeeda.com&utm_medium=native&utm_campaign=ShareArticle

It is very tradable. His cap hit for the receiving team is $18.5M this year with next to zero dead cap on the remaining contract.  That number puts him between CeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson at number 15 among WR for 2024.

If you’re a team with a lot of space and young QB it’s a slam dunk. If Diggs doesn’t work out you can move on with no cap implication. 

It costs the Bills an extra $3M to move on from Diggs. 

Im not saying they should, but if they feel they have to he is a very movable piece. 

As a post June 1 move he saves the team $19M this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Just wondering, where did you see/hear/read this speculation? 

it’s on “X”  a  Texans blogger with tens of thousands of followers said he knows for certain Diggs reached out to retired Houston receiver recently asking about city and team. Again, only speculation. 

I’d bet 50/50 he’s traded.  My guess is Dallas or Houston  

if he doesn’t want to be here, we don’t want him.  We went on a winning streak with him barely contributing. Whatever the factors were….

we have a great opportunity to go into next season with multiple young playmakers for Josh. Build chemistry and your offense stays elite for the next 5 years

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

it’s on “X”  a  Texans blogger with tens of thousands of followers said he knows for certain Diggs reached out to retired Houston receiver recently asking about city and team. Again, only speculation. 

if he doesn’t want to be here, we don’t want him.  We went on a winning streak with him barely contributing. Whatever the factors were….

we have a great opportunity to go into next season with multiple young playmakers for Josh. Build chemistry and your offense stays elite for the next 5 years

It's odd that the blogger would say he knows for certain and then say it's only speculation.  I feel like it got to be one or the other. 

4 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

It's odd that the blogger would say he knows for certain and then say it's only speculation.  I feel like it got to be one or the other. 

Maybe he knows for certain that it’s only speculation… 🤷‍♂️😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

98% of NFL players are able to do this just fine. Josh Allen gets asked absolutely ridiculous questions all season and he answers them like a pro. At one point a reporter straight up told him "this offense doesnt look like it’s good enough to win a Super Bowl". Allen took it in stride and just responded "okay".

“This offense doesn’t look good enough to win a Super Bowl”

Allen - “okay”

Diggs - “well, I’m trying out there. I know my production is down, but it’s not because of me. I don’t know what the future holds, ima keep doing me, and whatever happens, happens.”

Bills fans - “why are Diggs comments a story???? It’s such a MYSTERY!!!!!”

Edited by FireChans
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

that you’ve curated a hyper bills focused media bubble doesnt make this big news

and that his sketchy answers and behavior are being acknowledged doesn’t mean they are creating a narrative out of thin air 

Out of thin air? No. There is plenty to talk about given his lack of usage in the last half of the season. What is being done is put his comments under a magnifying glass to add an air of excitement and speculation.

For all Diggs knows is he could be traded, who knows? All he knows is his part and he will be ready. There is no better answer that would stop the speculation.

Edit: and to also pretend that the media isnt writing constantly about Diggs (both national and local) and that I myself just "curated" this media because of my internet history is straight up dishonest lmao. 

Edited by What a Tuel

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I just watched an hour long video by Greg Tompsett going over a possible 10-15 moves that would result in the Bills being 30-40 million under the cap while obviously creating some holes that will need to be filled with that space. None of them involved the $31,096,000 in dead cap that trading Diggs will create. 

I'd just love to hear a detailed breakdown of how the Bills can do this and field a competitive team in 2024... B-)

2 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I just watched an hour long video by Greg Tompsett going over a possible 10-15 moves that would result in the Bills being 30-40 million under the cap while obviously creating some holes that will need to be filled with that space. None of them involved the $31,096,000 in dead cap that trading Diggs will create. 

I'd just love to hear a detailed breakdown of how the Bills can do this and field a competitive team in 2024... B-)

I am assuming the below isn't true then? Honestly asking as I am not an expert on the cap.

49 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It’s time. The $$$ vs the drama diva doesn’t add up. But I’d be surprised given his cap hit to the Bills and a potential trade partner if it’s feasible. Would have been great to see him man up about his poor year end and playoff performance. But he’s way above that on the never accountable scale. 

10 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Diggs stays this year, price of signing a large extension.  He agreed to it bow he is stuck this year.

8 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I am assuming the below isn't true then? Honestly asking as I am not an expert on the cap.

It's true, at least per spotrac.

A post 6/1 release or trade would save the Bills $19M in 2024, but would incur a 2025 dead cap number of 22M. If Diggs is on the team in 2025, his cap hit would be 27M.

It's basically like a restructure, kicking the can down the road, and paying later. except with only minimal long-term savings and another hole at boundary WR.

13 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Just FYI, Greg Tompsett has absolutely no idea what he is talking about half the time. I ran the math 2 months ago and determined the Bills would be -$50M over the cap (before any moves). I pointed out to Greg that his numbers were vastly wrong (he was at -$26M). He argued with me for quite a while, stating OTC was always right, you're an idiot, yada yada.

Guess what happened? Last week OTC updated their projects to....

image.thumb.png.5265e327ddd0b198dca9a6ebbcc66594.png

I didnt even notice at first, but another tweeter who saw the argument bumped my tweet that was correcting him a couple months ago and pointed out that I was right. Greg must have saw that he screwed up so he blocked me lol.

Long story short - take what Greg says with a GIGANTIC grain of salt.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Just FYI, Greg Tompsett has absolutely no idea what he is talking about half the time. I ran the math 2 months ago and determined the Bills would be -$50M over the cap (before any moves). I pointed out to Greg that his numbers were vastly wrong (he was at -$26M). He argued with me for quite a while, stating OTC was always right, you're an idiot, yada yada.

I didnt even notice at first, but another tweeter who saw the argument bumped my tweet that was correcting him a couple months ago and pointed out that I was right. Greg must have saw that he screwed up so he blocked me lol.

Fair enough, but does that not further cement the fact that Diggs has to stay in 2024? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Einstein said:

Personally, I think he will be on the team.

But they could trade him with a post-June 1st designation for only half the cost. Which I wouldn't be totally shocked if they do.

Just because of his age.

Right... I could see that... Problem is, that savings does not kick in till after the 6/1 trade... But it is WAY more do-able... B-)

image.png.c637ea8ac0acddde7b7424fa9604578c.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

At this point, in this draft, with Shakir having come on and Kincaid looking like a superstar in the making, I would be very, very, very tempted by that proposal. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

So it might not be a complete media driven narrative, but to think they don’t have about 50% of the blame is naive as well.

meh. The guy has a long history of asking for the attention they have given. Short of a refusal to cover diggs, how is the media supposed to tell his story without that context? That feels like it would be much more of a media driven narrative creation 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

It is very tradable. His cap hit for the receiving team is $18.5M this year with next to zero dead cap on the remaining contract.  That number puts him between CeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson at number 15 among WR for 2024.

If you’re a team with a lot of space and young QB it’s a slam dunk. If Diggs doesn’t work out you can move on with no cap implication. 

It costs the Bills an extra $3M to move on from Diggs. 

Im not saying they should, but if they feel they have to he is a very movable piece. 

As a post June 1 move he saves the team $19M this season. 

meh. It’s normal for the receiving team to be a decent deal unless the player has fallen off a cliff. The signing bonus paid (and amortized) stays with the original club so it becomes essentially a year to year deal below market value. 

The bills giving up the guy for a higher cap hit is the real challenge 

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

meh. It’s normal for the receiving team to be a decent deal unless the player has fallen off a cliff. The signing bonus paid (and amortized) stays with the original club so it becomes essentially a year to year deal below market value. 

The bills giving up the guy for a higher cap hit is the real challenge 

The higher cap hit is $3M today. It is surmountable if the team or Diggs want it to be. I don't think we have to or want to move him this year. But we are not hand cuffed and there is no "real challenge".

Edited by Mango

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

The higher cap hit is $3M today. It is surmountable if the team or Diggs want it to be. I don't think we have to or want to move him this year. But we are not hand cuffed and there is no "real challenge".

there’s not a ton diggs can do to reduce the dead money. That’s just cash already paid but not yet accounted for in our cap hits due to amortization

trading your WR1, to get a cap hit that goes up and creating a hole to fill is a tough pull to swallow even if you are capable of doing it. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

there’s not a ton diggs can do to reduce the dead money. That’s just cash already paid but not yet accounted for in our cap hits due to amortization

Which is exactly why I LOATHE restructuring deals.

Every off-season fans want to get under the cap by restructuring everyone’s deal, but that comes at a huge cost. And that cost is flexibility to move on from that player.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

trading your WR1, to get a cap hit that goes up and creating a hole to fill is a tough pull to swallow even if you are capable of doing it. 

Ah, OK. I think we are coming at this from two different places. 

It seems like you are saying there is an additional cost to moving on from Diggs outside of his salary cap, which is replacing your WR1. All fair, and I am in favor of keeping him this year.

I am talking just pure cap dollars. Diggs contract itself in no way hamstrings us to Diggs this year. It isn't untradeable. He isn't unmovable. If the Bills no longer want him in the locker room or he no longer is willing to play here, the change in the Bills cap situation is minimal on it's own. This isn't some $40M extra expenditure. $3M that is it. Just looking at the balance sheet it is super workable if they want it to be. 

I don't think Diggs finishes his career here. But I do think he will be on the roster to start the new year, but he doesn't have to be to balance the books. I do think there is a better than 50% chance he is either a June 1 cut/trade this year or moved next offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

Ah, OK. I think we are coming at this from two different places. 

It seems like you are saying there is an additional cost to moving on from Diggs outside of his salary cap, which is replacing your WR1. All fair, and I am in favor of keeping him this year.

I am talking just pure cap dollars. Diggs contract itself in no way hamstrings us to Diggs this year. It isn't untradeable. He isn't unmovable. If the Bills no longer want him in the locker room or he no longer is willing to play here, the change in the Bills cap situation is minimal on it's own. This isn't some $40M extra expenditure. $3M that is it. Just looking at the balance sheet it is super workable if they want it to be. 

I don't think Diggs finishes his career here. But I do think he will be on the roster to start the new year, but he doesn't have to be to balance the books. I do think there is a better than 50% chance he is either a June 1 cut/trade this year or moved next offseason.  

if you don’t care about the product on the field, any move is possible 

the practical nature of the situation is they can keep him a bill for 19m in cash - not a terrible bad value; or

Trade him for a modest return, and see his cap hit go up; or

cut him and see the increased dead money and get no return but instead have the ability to shift the dead money to next year. 

I think the situation would need to be incredibly toxic and not just uncomfortable to see him not on the roster. We will see.

Diggs is who he is. He's always been a bit self centered and an attention w h o r e. I think he does this intentionally to feed his ego. At this point, we're left to deal with it for a couple more years. As long as we're making moves with life after Diggs on our minds, that's all that matters.

Edited by H2o

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

It's true, at least per spotrac.

A post 6/1 release or trade would save the Bills $19M in 2024, but would incur a 2025 dead cap number of 22M. If Diggs is on the team in 2025, his cap hit would be 27M.

It's basically like a restructure, kicking the can down the road, and paying later. except with only minimal long-term savings and another hole at boundary WR.

I think Diggs gets moved either post 6/1 this year or pre 6/1 2025. Both have the same cap ramifications. (Excluding any roll over if he’s cut 6/1).

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Cover 1 does some good stuff. I think their earlier content was a lot better. Now they are just churning clicks with way less depth. 

For whatever reason everything they say has started to be treated like gospel. I like Kurt Warner’s QB room a lot but I disagree with a lot to. I like Orlovsky a lot, but disagree a ton. But these Cover 1 guys seem to be totally infallible on the boards lately. 

Greg’s spiel on the cap was….bad…

• Agree 1

If it makes sense for the team and they can get something in return for Diggs. I would seriously entertain moving him. I think this iteration of the Bills competing for a SuperBowl is over and the window has closed.

I would be looking at mini rebuild if I was Beane and start cutting the fat in order to set us up for the next run. So I would go with youth movement next year while still trying to compete and taking our lumps.

9 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

If it makes sense for the team and they can get something in return for Diggs. I would seriously entertain moving him. I think this iteration of the Bills competing for a SuperBowl is over and the window has closed.

I would be looking at mini rebuild if I was Beane and start cutting the fat in order to set us up for the next run. So I would go with youth movement next year while still trying to compete and taking our lumps.

The "lumps" would be mostly in 2025, so it would be two lost years of huge dead cap hits. This only multiplies if you cut Von Miller. We are stuck with both, unless you want to waste two years of Josh Allen's prime to reset the cap. 

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

The "lumps" would be mostly in 2025, so it would be two lost years of huge dead cap hits. This only multiplies if you cut Von Miller. We are stuck with both, unless you want to waste two years of Josh Allen's prime to reset the cap. 

Von is a special case and we are stuck with him next season. So don’t restructure let him play out this year and then we move on next year if he fails to return to form. 

With Diggs they could find a way to make it work but would all depend if there is anyone willing to even trade for him. Otherwise they both will be here next season.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think Diggs gets moved either post 6/1 this year or pre 6/1 2025. Both have the same cap ramifications. (Excluding any roll over if he’s cut 6/1).

Cover 1 does some good stuff. I think their earlier content was a lot better. Now they are just churning clicks with way less depth. 

For whatever reason everything they say has started to be treated like gospel. I like Kurt Warner’s QB room a lot but I disagree with a lot to. I like Orlovsky a lot, but disagree a ton. But these Cover 1 guys seem to be totally infallible on the boards lately. 

Greg’s spiel on the cap was….bad…

Nothing was funnier than them riding the "Ken Dorsey is a great OC, look at the EPA/play" train for WEEKS, then he got fired and they started getting hypercritical of his gameplans and everything else in retrospect.

They are exactly what you think they are. A bunch of Bills fans who have a greater understanding of the game than most casual fans, making content for Bills fans who also have a decent understanding of the game.

Anything they say should be taken with as much of a grain of salt as the random posters who think Gabe Davis is FINALLY gonna have his breakout year, or that Brandon Beane is the BEST GM in football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Right... I could see that... Problem is, that savings does not kick in till after the 6/1 trade... But it is WAY more do-able... B-)

image.png.c637ea8ac0acddde7b7424fa9604578c.png

Looks like that big 2025 dead cap number is the same if Diggs gets traded post-6/1 or if he's simply cut after the 2024 season. I'd guess the team intends to move on after the season, not before. 

That potential "out" after next season is still really punitive to my eye. Not great.