Greg Cosell - “I don’t think they have a number 1 WR”

54 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

The bills can forget superbowl for years to come.

Josh Allen will end like manning not winning til over 30.

Talk about billsy.

So he is winning a SB when over 30?

Phew … thought he might not win at all,,,

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

The Ravens don't have one either. They are probably going to the SB with no WR having over 1,000 yards. Zay Flowers led the team with 858, but no one else even had 600 yards. Also, Lamar is their leading rusher. 

They have 4-5 guys better than  [second half of the season]Diggs 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What was crazy to me is Chris Brown and Steve Tasker didn’t even say anything about the comment. No reaction. Makes me wonder.

I think people in this thread are reading things into the comment.

What does that even mean?  "We don't have a number one receiver....."

Folks here are interpreting this to be a dig at Diggs; pun intended.

Like he's not good enough to be thought of as a true No. 1.

I think he meant it more like he is not our obvious and heavy "go to" guy in the offense.

I.E., all the receivers are getting the ball too evenly to call Diggs the dominant guy.

Who knows...who cares.

We need THREE WRs this off-season.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

The Ravens don't have one either. They are probably going to the SB with no WR having over 1,000 yards. Zay Flowers led the team with 858, but no one else even had 600 yards. Also, Lamar is their leading rusher. 

Neither AFC team had a 1000 yard receiver this year.

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

I just dont see how his age can catch up to him in one week.  Usually you would see a slow decline.  But perhaps he has.  We will find out.  No way are they trading him. 

I think he got hurt against the Steelers and then he took several huge hits Sunday that made it worse.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Diggs is 30 now and will be 31 next season. That's not old but if his subpar 2nd half of the season wasn't injury related then his decline will probably continue as he gets older.

PFF has Diggs graded at 21, and there are no surprises among those ranked above him. Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, and D Hop are the only WR's OLDER than Diggs who are graded higher.  The one thing tho, the best ability is availability, and Diggs did have the fifth most snaps in the league among wideouts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Wasn’t Diggs leading the league in receptions up until Dorsey got canned?

I’m not bringing this up to bash Brady (I like wins); only making a point that Diggs was every bit of a #1 until the change was made. 

I don't know a source of week-by-week league wide receiving stats, so I can't confirm or deny.  I have a vague memory of looking at stats and seeing Diggs leading or close to the top, not in receptions, but in targets and thinking "huh that's weird".  It looked more like forcing the ball.

If Diggs was leading the league in receptions at one point (anyone got those cumulative stats after each week?), I don't see how it can possibly have been until Dorsey was fired (after Denver).

Diggs receiving numbers fell off a cliff after the Giants game (NWE loss and on).  His games against NWE and DEN were kinda pitiful, receptions and receiving yards.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Maybe need an OC that can get him the ball more often.

Not sure where the fault lies,  but not much Diggs production after Brady took over. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/

Brady took over after Denver game

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills need a different type of receiver. No need to get caught up in the “#1 WR” or “#2 WR” jargon.

They have got guys that excel at certain things (including Diggs). They don’t have anyone that’s a true deep threat. They need a guy that’s good enough to warrant a few long shots every single game.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Im not buying it.  Dude had a poor 1/2 season.  He will be back in form. 

Yeah, even if the 2nd half of the season is a harbinger of decline, what do you call the 1st half? He was elite then. I don't think you can slip this fast, especially at 30. Most likely this is a combination of the OC change, a nagging injury, and the very beginning of a slow reduction in skill. 

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't know a source of week-by-week league wide receiving stats, so I can't confirm or deny.  I have a vague memory of looking at stats and seeing Diggs leading or close to the top, not in receptions, but in targets and thinking "huh that's weird".  It looked more like forcing the ball.

If Diggs was leading the league in receptions at one point (anyone got those cumulative stats after each week?), I don't see how it can possibly have been until Dorsey was fired (after Denver).

Diggs receiving numbers fell off a cliff after the Giants game (NWE loss and on).  His games against NWE and DEN were kinda pitiful, receptions and receiving yards.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/

Brady took over after Denver game

He still finished 7th in receptions, 13th in yards

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Flowers is a rookie who had an excellent season. He definitely is a #1 WR going forward for them.

2 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

This is why they pay Greg Cosell the big bucks.

I love Cosell, but in this case, he's only giving his bosses what they want/what he's paid to do.  

The "numbering" of receivers is nothing more than a way for the Average Joe to sort things in his head.  There's outside receivers and slot receivers, & some teams have (plays drawn up for) guys like Deebo who can move among the positions.  And some guys are just best suited outside, like a George Pickens - we know he doesn't want to be involved in blocking any more than he has to.  As opposed to a Gabe Davis, who relishes battling with DBs in the run game if that is what's called for. 

Back to the point, Diggs could probably be one of the best slot receivers in the game, starting next season, but has thus far been used mostly on the outside (until Brady started to draw up some bubble screens and handoffs to help get the ball in his hands).

I am not sure what the hell they'll do, as FA Davis is also an enigma to the Average Joe (he's not a true #2, he's more of a #3) but was voted a team captain by his peers and may not be highly sought after.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.