Greg Cosell - “I don’t think they have a number 1 WR”

On 1/27/2024 at 12:44 PM, Lfod said:

I won't say much other than that KC game had to be humbling. I feel like he was featured heavily to start the game and it didnt go well. 

I've been thinking he isn't a ture WR 1 for awhile now but I wasnt going to say it. 

Don't see how he can complain he isn't getting targets, or that he makes the most of them. Neither are true, nor is the story that Dorsey went to him far more than Brady. The fact is, he dropped passes, fumbled, didn't appear to get open as often in the past despite single coverage, and overall did not perform like a WR1, especially a superstar one. Players do hit the wall. I remember when Lofton was suddenly not effective, and even Moulds and Reed fell off. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s an absolutely insane thing to say and there is not a stat that backs that up. Ultimate prisoner of the moment. 

Diggs 44 receptions on 75 attempts, 8 yards per attempt under Joe Brady over 9 games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Diggs 44 receptions on 75 attempts, 8 yards per attempt under Joe Brady over 9 games.

A lot of WR screens, which to me isn’t Diggs game. I know people hate me for being critical of Brady but this is one of the reasons.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Vikings got over on the Bills with that trade....they got the best of Diggs then got a much better WR on a rookie contract.   DIggs needs a WR1B to help him out. 

Sure, but no one thought Justin Jefferson was going to be the best WR in the NFL. 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:33 PM, Success said:

I mean, I'd agree.

I'd like to say it's Diggs, and think he could be.  But his production doesn't match what you would expect of a #1.

Not sure about the rest of y'all but it almost looked as if Diggs is a bit gun shy ! If we notice Diggs never takes a big hit he almost always gets down before the defender can hit him which for health reasons is a good thing but the one drop he had in the game the other night was like he was anticipating getting hit & lost his concentration and dropped the pass . 

Not sure if that is what his problem is but something was not right with him from the halfway point of the season on he just wasn't as he's said "That Guy" when the Bills needed him & it could be the age thing . He's going up against younger guys and maybe he just can't beat them any more .

The draft is coming & has the next Diggs somewhere in it & i hope they find a couple of those guys to go with what they have on the roster now & i hope they can get a DT, DE, or CB a bit later that can help make a difference for years to come ...

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Vikings got over on the Bills with that trade....they got the best of Diggs then got a much better WR on a rookie contract.   DIggs needs a WR1B to help him out. 

What? Diggs wasn't at his best the 3 years prior to this season?

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of WR screens, which to me isn’t Diggs game. I know people hate me for being critical of Brady but this is one of the reasons.

Sure, but no one thought Justin Jefferson was going to be the best WR in the NFL. 

Well, no one knows who will be the best prior to....but the Vikings sure did think he would be a great pick---in fact enough that they felt very comfortable in getting rid of Diggs to get him. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

What? Diggs wasn't at his best the 3 years prior to this season?

He had 2 great seasons, but sucking up another 160 targets to get to 1100 yards this season has worn him out.  Plus in his career he consistently no-shows in playoff elimination games.  

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, no one knows who will be the best prior to....but the Vikings sure did think he would be a great pick---in fact enough that they felt very comfortable in getting rid of Diggs to get him. 

He had 2 great seasons, but sucking up another 160 targets to get to 1100 yards this season has worn him out.  Plus in his career he consistently no-shows in playoff elimination games.  

He was great the first 3 years here and was just as elite as he was in Minnesota. We should have made the Super Bowl in that time. Minnesota didn't screw us on any trade. We have got a very productive Diggs before this season

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

He was great the first 3 years here and was just as elite as he was in Minnesota. We should have made the Super Bowl in that time. Minnesota didn't screw us on any trade. We have got a very productive Diggs before this season

They got a much better WR, cheap, thats all.  Not "screwed". 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The trade was equal the first few years. You make it sound like the trade was bad. It worked out the way it was supposed to for both teams

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

The trade was equal the first few years. You make it sound like the trade was bad. It worked out the way it was supposed to for both teams

People don’t really even think about the trade the right way imo…they didn’t get Jefferson straight up.  They got an attempt to maybe draft Jefferson…Philly easily could’ve taken him and they would’ve been left with reagor 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jefferson is a great, great talent - top 3 WR in the game for sure.  However, Diggs had 3 years of top 7 WR production, and for his "bad" postseason play, he at least has 3 100+ yard outings with the Bills in the playoffs.  Jefferson has only played one playoff game, and had 47 yards.

I still consider it a win-win deal.  The Vikings were banking on A receiver being there due to the depth of the draft.  Let's be real, the Eagles taking Reagor above him was the biggest factor in the Vikings getting Jefferson.  If the Vikings scouted Jefferson and thought he would be the all world talent he is, they dont sit still at the draft to see if he falls.  I know they liked him, but Jefferson was the result of getting the pick, not the 1 for 1 trade that was made at that time.

Diggs has been great the last 4 years.  If he is in fact declining, the Bills need to draft a first round WR and insulate the position.  Which I believe they will do.

6 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Riiiight!

That’s the thing about ‘if’s’.

They’ve never happened in reality.

Oh yea that was more a comment on how important one individual play can be.  Diggs made a ridiculous catch earlier in the game but were only talkin about the drop lol 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oh yea that was more a comment on how important one individual play can be.  Diggs made a ridiculous catch earlier in the game but were only talkin about the drop lol 

They are paid to make catches not drop the ball. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not exactly--Jefferson is nearly averaging Diggs's career high (and that's with only 9+ games this season)--without a Josh Allen throwing him the ball.

But even if we get past that, there is the obvious dilemma of a WR aging in decline vs. a young WR who started off in hsi prime. 

• Agree 1

Offense wasn't as efficient force feeding Diggs the ball.  Diggs seems to struggle some without volume.  In a more balance attack his productivity has suffered.  Most likely he is back next season.  With more juice around him it could open him up for a more efficient year.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.