Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

On 1/25/2024 at 12:10 AM, chongli said:

But our D (and ST) has let us down year after year, along with offensive mistakes. Scott Kacsmar makes a good point about our D, which Tyler Dunne re-tweeted:

The Chiefs only had to convert five 3rd down attempts.  They didn't punt the ball until the 4th quarter.  Despite the 37 minute time of possession the Bills had, the Chiefs only had seven less yards.  No wonder McD wants the offense to run the ball more, it keeps his defense off the field so they don't give up 40 points a game.  I get that the defense was dealing with major injuries this year but isn't a new thing.  

Last year they couldn't stop the run against the Bengals, the year before that they gave up 42 points to the Chiefs, and the year before that 38 to the Chiefs.  So far the defense has only accomplished beating Skylar Thompson, Mac Jones, Mason Rudolph, Philip Rivers, and the only serious playoff QB Lamar Jackson.  Which is hilarious because they looked bad against Thompson and Rivers.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I get some people agree with Dunne even if I don't.

But why should Terry Pegula read Dunne's article?  Dunne doesn't know 1% as much about the Buffalo Bills as Pegula does.  

Dunne would love to spend time with Pegula and have all the sources that Pegula does.   Pegs didn't become a billionaire entirely by accident.  He's a smart businessman who has processes in place to make sure he always has the very best data available.  He talks to the personnel guys and coaches, gets insider information, and probably has confidantes outside the organization as well.  

If I were Pegs, I doubt I would read anything written by an outsider with no experience running an NFL team though I would love to talk to other NFL owners, GMs, and coaches to pick their brains.  Dunne is a nobody with no expertise.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

What the Bills really need to "explore," is a top OC. It's what the Bills have been lacking-- a real offensive mind, who isn't learning on the job.

What McDermott accomplished late in the season with a defense that was often at times down to starting third string, and players pulled off the PS, was really quite remarkable. Brandon Beane, and Sean McDermott have built a perennial playoff team, and division champ with a winning culture that does not flinch in the face of diversity. So, now what? We're going to blow that all up for a doddering 72yo Bill Belichick*? Another defensive-minded coach in Mike Vrabel? Does Branden Beane leave too? Screw all that. Get a top notch OC-- an offensive mind who can scheme to our players' strengths, and the opponent's weaknesses. Or maybe Joe Brady grows into his job? He clearly did a better job than Krazy Ken Dorsey.

And Tyler Dunne can suck an egg.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

What the Bills really need to "explore," is a top OC. It's what the Bills have been lacking-- a real offensive mind, who isn't learning on the job.

What McDermott accomplished late in the season with a defense that was often at times down to starting third string, and players pulled off the PS, was really quite remarkable. Brandon Beane, and Sean McDermott have built a perennial playoff team, and division champ with a winning culture that does not flinch in the face of diversity. So, now what? We're going to blow that all up for a doddering 72yo Bill Belichick*? Another defensive-minded coach in Mike Vrabel? Does Branden Beane leave too? Screw all that. Get a top notch OC-- an offensive mind who can scheme to our players' strengths, and the opponent's weaknesses. Or maybe Joe Brady grows into his job? He clearly did a better job than Krazy Ken Dorsey.

And Tyler Dunne can suck an egg.

The problem arrives when that top offensive coordinator immediately gets hired elsewhere to be a head coach.  It's going to be a constant problem with a defensive head coach and Josh Allen at QB.  If Joe Brady doesn't become the full time OC next year then McD will be on his 5th offensive coordinator with Daboll being the only guy to coach multiple seasons.  

Edited by Julio Hopkins

On 1/26/2024 at 3:54 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Is Dodson deaf? Why wouldn't he be capable of wearing the helmet with the radio and lead the defense? He's a four-year veteran in this system, he competed for the starting MLB job all preseason, he's started 10 games this year. And we're supposed to believe that he can't call the defense and instead we need a guy with no athleticism left who was sitting on the couch just a couple weeks ago to be in on 98% of snaps against the defending world champs in the AFC Semifinals?

This is a very weird take you're clutching onto. The depths the McDermott excuse-makers will go...

@GunnerBill What do you disagree with? Klein was an absolute train wreck and many of us knew it was going to happen before the game started. And it happened. Many people were saying Dorian should be playing instead of Klein, including some in the media (Joe Buscaglia). This isn't a "hindsight is 20/20" situation. So what is there to disagree with?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

@GunnerBill What do you disagree with? Klein was an absolute train wreck and many of us knew it was going to happen before the game started. And it happened. Many people were saying Dorian should be playing instead of Klein, including some in the media (Joe Buscaglia). This isn't a "hindsight is 20/20" situation. So what is there to disagree with?

Dorian is clearly not ready. He can't line up in the right place. Guys are having to wave him into position every other snap. The idea that he was the answer is totally for the birds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dorian is clearly not ready. He can't line up in the right place. Guys are having to wave him into position every other snap. The idea that he was the answer is totally for the birds.

Perhaps in hindsight  Dorian should have been given some more opportunities during the year so he might have been a bit more seasoned when they really needed  him … it’s a familiar pattern we see with rookies, particularly on the Defence … I think he will develop into a pretty reasonable player if he gets the snaps although he is stuck behind Bernard and Milano if they are both good to go…

Klein was terrible against KC  and Mcdermott persisted with him for way too long … I dont know what other options he had …. But something else needed to be attempted .. couldn’t have been any worse …

• Agree 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:46 AM, hondo in seattle said:

But why should Terry Pegula read Dunne's article?  Dunne doesn't know 1% as much about the Buffalo Bills as Pegula does.  

Dunne would love to spend time with Pegula and have all the sources that Pegula does.   Pegs didn't become a billionaire entirely by accident.  He's a smart businessman who has processes in place to make sure he always has the very best data available.  He talks to the personnel guys and coaches, gets insider information, and probably has confidantes outside the organization as well.  

If I were Pegs, I doubt I would read anything written by an outsider with no experience running an NFL team though I would love to talk to other NFL owners, GMs, and coaches to pick their brains.  Dunne is a nobody with no expertise.   

Just because someone is a billionaire who might have a strong business acumen, it doesn't mean they are a football expert. Look no further than McD/Beane's former team down in Carolina where David Tepper is one of the biggest toolsheds on the planet and hands down owns the worst owner in the NFL right now regardless of how much money he is willing to throw around to turn that franchise around.

The Sabres have sucked for years under the Pegulas and many insiders have said they are terrible owners and not great to work for as well.

Regarding the Bills, again let's not kid ourselves here, just like with the current GM and HC, the Pegulas lucked out landing Josh Allen. Take him away and this team is likely back to the drought years in terms of stacking 7 and 8 win seasons on an annual basis.

On 1/27/2024 at 1:46 PM, hondo in seattle said:

If Terry Pegula is as smart as you think he is Buffalo wouldn’t have a Buffalo Sabres team sucking for 13 straight years and the Buffalo Bills with another open air stadium built in the middle of nowhere economically. I don’t think Terry Pegula is all that smart. He is smart enough to get on billionaire owners welfare from the state

that is about it. He is one of the worst owners Buffalo has ever had if it wasn’t for John Rigas and John Y. Brown Terry Pegula would be the worst owner. I have zero again zero respect or regard for Terry Pegula the owner as a Buffalo sports fan. If he sold all his Buffalo sports teams tomorrow good riddance. A Buffalo championship isn’t changing that either because Terry Pegula won a championship with the Buffalo Bandits and I still feel the same way about Terry Pegula.

Terry Pegula is one of many things wrong with Buffalo and Western New York. Unfortunately Buffalo gets stuck with these shortsighted, cheap, corrupt and eccentric people in charge. There is something off with Terry Pegula eccentric “Howard Hughes” like with both New York State Kathy Hochul and Erie County executive Mark Poloncarz are both corrupt not acting in Western New York’s best long term interests none of these people are all that smart in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:05 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Wait, Wat?

Just like Terrell Bernard wasn't ready to play last season, Dorian Williams was demonstrably no way ready to play MLB this season.  Even at OLB he wasn't in the right place all the time.

So what there is to disagree with, is the premise that Dorian should have been playing instead of Klein.  And if that's what Joe Buscaglia thought before the game, Joe Buscaglia is mistaken.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:51 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Klein was terrible against KC  and Mcdermott persisted with him for way too long … I dont know what other options he had …. But something else needed to be attempted .. couldn’t have been any worse …

Meaning no offense, but "couldn't have been any worse" is the lamer cry of people who don't know what they're talking about.   It absolutely could have been worse.

"You don't know what other options he had".  Look at the freakin' roster then and learn then.  His options were a hampered Dodson, who seemed to be cracking under the pressure of trying to play MLB during pre-season; AJ Klein, who knows exactly what he's seeing and where he ought to be but doesn't necessarily have the physical skills to get there; Dorian Williams, who wasn't considered for MLB pre-season and who is struggling to be in the right place at the right time as OLB; or Tyler Matakevich, a career STer. 

That's it.  There were no other options.  Milano was on IR, and Spector and Bernard were "out" for the game.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Meaning no offense, but "couldn't have been any worse" is the lamer cry of people who don't know what they're talking about.   It absolutely could have been worse.

"You don't know what other options he had".  Look at the freakin' roster then and learn then.  His options were a hampered Dodson, who seemed to be cracking under the pressure of trying to play MLB during pre-season; AJ Klein, who knows exactly what he's seeing and where he ought to be but doesn't necessarily have the physical skills to get there; Dorian Williams, who wasn't considered for MLB pre-season and who is struggling to be in the right place at the right time as OLB; or Tyler Matakevich, a career STer. 

That's it.  There were no other options.  Milano was on IR, and Spector and Bernard were "out" for the game.

I would have moved to Williams earlier … 

They say that hope isn’t a plan… but also doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity 

Edited by Aussie Joe

15 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

If Terry Pegula is as smart as you think he is Buffalo wouldn’t have a Buffalo Sabres team sucking for 13 straight years and the Buffalo Bills with another open air stadium built in the middle of nowhere economically. I don’t think Terry Pegula is all that smart. He is smart enough to get on billionaire owners welfare from the state

that is about it. He is one of the worst owners Buffalo has ever had if it wasn’t for John Rigas and John Y. Brown Terry Pegula would be the worst owner. I have zero again zero respect or regard for Terry Pegula the owner as a Buffalo sports fan. If he sold all his Buffalo sports teams tomorrow good riddance. A Buffalo championship isn’t changing that either because Terry Pegula won a championship with the Buffalo Bandits and I still feel the same way about Terry Pegula.

Terry Pegula is one of many things wrong with Buffalo and Western New York. Unfortunately Buffalo gets stuck with these shortsighted, cheap, corrupt and eccentric people in charge. There is something off with Terry Pegula eccentric “Howard Hughes” like with both New York State Kathy Hochul and Erie County executive Mark Poloncarz are both corrupt not acting in Western New York’s best long term interests none of these people are all that smart in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I used to be an army officer.  When I went to war, I read some shockingly uninformed articles in reputable news sources about the likely outcomes.  But the ignorance of the authors didn't surprise me.  Outsiders know less than insiders.   That's how it works.  

Terry is part of the Bills organization every day of his life.  I'm guessing he talks to people within the organization nearly every day.  How could he possibly know less than Dunne?   

I stand by what I said.  If I was Pegs, I wouldn't look to a writer like Dunne to solve my organizational challenges.  I'd talk to the knowledgeable people inside the organization and my football confidantes outside.  In fact, I have such a low opinion of Dunne's understanding of NFL organizations, if I needed advice, I'd turn to Matt Millen before I'd turn to Dunne.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:30 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

Then you're missing out on a man telling the truth here.  I get that Dunne has a "rep" but check these out and tell me he's wrong:

Those suffering from Drought Brain — terrified of another dark age — will soon nestle into another blanket of excuses and swiftly demonize any criticism of team, of coach.

None of this happens if the Bills — ownership on down — operate with Allen at forefront of mind. He’s the most important person in the building. He’s the employee with the richest contract in Buffalo sports history. That’s what blew the minds of so many players and coaches I spoke to for The McDermott Problem. Those who’ve been around McDermott every day describe the coach as a simpleton when it comes to this position, as if he never understood that Allen was the No. 1 reason this team is a Super Bowl contender.

As I write this column, McDermott is holding his season-ending press conference. He says the biggest reason for their turnaround was cutting down turnovers. Let’s hope he doesn’t try to neuter Allen’s arm this offseason after taking aim at his legs last offseason

This guy needs to take a writing class. Good grief, that is painful to read.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

That opinion is in the minority...

You are basically engaging in a logical fallacy.  You don't like the message so you attack the messenger.

The old ad hominem!  It's older than stupidity itself.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You are basically engaging in a logical fallacy.  You don't like the message so you attack the messenger.

I never said I don't like the message.  And it wasn't an "attack" on the messenger. It was a critique on his writing style. Ever since he went out on his own, his writing has looked sloppy. I am guessing it is the result of not having an editor to clean it up. 

It is fine if I am in the minority in my opinion. But maybe you should take a reading comprehension class if you think what I said had anything to do with not liking the message. 

• Agree 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:22 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is pretty dumb.  Imagine telling your head coach, hey, we are going to see if something better is out there.  Sit tight.   Why are people's brains broken?

Low IQ individuals don't have logic as their friend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:30 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

Then you're missing out on a man telling the truth here.  I get that Dunne has a "rep" but check these out and tell me he's wrong:

Those suffering from Drought Brain — terrified of another dark age — will soon nestle into another blanket of excuses and swiftly demonize any criticism of team, of coach.

None of this happens if the Bills — ownership on down — operate with Allen at forefront of mind. He’s the most important person in the building. He’s the employee with the richest contract in Buffalo sports history. That’s what blew the minds of so many players and coaches I spoke to for The McDermott Problem. Those who’ve been around McDermott every day describe the coach as a simpleton when it comes to this position, as if he never understood that Allen was the No. 1 reason this team is a Super Bowl contender.

As I write this column, McDermott is holding his season-ending press conference. He says the biggest reason for their turnaround was cutting down turnovers. Let’s hope he doesn’t try to neuter Allen’s arm this offseason after taking aim at his legs last offseason

Dude, you call this TRUTH?

Once again, it is more of the same from Dunne. No intelligent discourse, just opinions and name-calling---supposedly backed by a few disgruntled, former employees. If this passes for truth in today's media, then we all need to turn off our computers and televisions. Geesh!

I don't have a problem with people wanting to move on from McDermott and explaining their reasons why, but whatever you think of him as a coach, he is a good man, and this is not the way you go about criticizing the job he is doing. It is obviously personal for Dunne. I mean, "a simpleton"? Someone may not make a great NFL coach, but you aren't getting to that position in the first place if you are a simpleton. Come on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Dear @Nextmanup,

Please consider the following online "law" as stated in Wikipedia entry for Murphy's Law:

• Skitt's law: "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself.

@DanInUticaTampa is NOT attacking the character of Mr. Dunne, but instead the quality and appeal of the author's prose. His delivery, if you will. Most assuredly NOT an ad hominem attack. 

Cheers,

-A 𖤀!ȻꞢ head 

12 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

They love his dark language and bashing, and I am pretty sure what their politics is as well!

Pretty scary stuff especially if this is not just how they view football, sports, but the real world too.

Imagine what an unscrupulous politician would be able to do with (and to) these people...like sheep to the slaughter. If facts don't matter, then everything is up for grabs...

Lines like the ones you quote above clearly indicate why he could not find work again in an actual newspaper or magazine--any editor would rip his writing to shreds--it would never see the light of day. 

Seriously, because some of us think that Dunn lays out some of the issues with McD that will keep the Bills from getting over the hump you can predict our politics?

And where in providing Dunns perceptive on things are people showing that "facts don't matter"?

Like I've said before I didn't even know who Dunn was before I read these two articles.  And yes I can clearly see that he has an issue with McD.  But I also can see that some of what he's putting out there rings true to me based on my observations of the Bills over the last 5 seasons. 

On 1/23/2024 at 8:11 PM, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

All you did was weaken a country today, that's all you did....

• Haha (+1) 1

I know some will disregard it or not agree, but there's a good chance this team doesn't even make and go on the run they did if not for the timing of Dunne's article right after the blown game in Philly and during the bye week.

And IMO this is a problem in itself and magnifies one of the biggest issues with McDivisional's teams in recent years......the fast starts, followed by 2 months of uninspired .500 type football, then a strong finish. At some point you need to play consistent football from start to finish over the course of a 17 game season like the Chiefs have pretty much every year up until this season ironically.

On 2/1/2024 at 12:32 PM, Beck Water said:

Wait, Wat?

Just like Terrell Bernard wasn't ready to play last season, Dorian Williams was demonstrably no way ready to play MLB this season.  Even at OLB he wasn't in the right place all the time.

So what there is to disagree with, is the premise that Dorian should have been playing instead of Klein.  And if that's what Joe Buscaglia thought before the game, Joe Buscaglia is mistaken.

lol, no, Joe is not mistaken.

The two LB positions in McDermott's scheme are pretty interchangeable, especially considering all of these players have been learning both of the positions since the summer. These are professionals, it's what they do. If Klein went down with an injury, they were not going to stop the game and cancel. 

It was a mistake to play Klein. We know this now. That's what history will tell us about the Bills' 2023 postseason. You can stop fighting it now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

18 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

They love his dark language and bashing, and I am pretty sure what their politics is as well!

Pretty scary stuff especially if this is not just how they view football, sports, but the real world too.

Imagine what an unscrupulous politician would be able to do with (and to) these people...like sheep to the slaughter. If facts don't matter, then everything is up for grabs...

Lines like the ones you quote above clearly indicate why he could not find work again in an actual newspaper or magazine--any editor would rip his writing to shreds--it would never see the light of day. 

By what politics do you mean? Because I’m pretty sure there are is enough “dark language and bashing” to go around regardless of political affiliation.  But censuring someone because you don’t agree with what they say?  That sounds communistic to me.  Especially over the word “simpleton”.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I have been given many many  'writings' by friends who think they prove yet another conspiracy theory.  Reading Dunne's 'articles" I was shocked to see how close they were to those writings.  He offers no usable facts, has extremely poor, over the top, biased language throughout, and simply twists all to make his (conspiracy theory) point, hatred of McDermott stand out. Sadly, he can clearly fool a small minority of people, who then just circulate his nonsense (conspiracy theory).

Yes, I cannot imagine anyone accepting his non-journalism as gospel, as it is just a conspiracy theory too, one NO reputable publication would ever considering publishing--ever.  They would rip it up and likely fire him for presenting the trash that it is, the violation of journalistic integrity.

To me, only those slurping up the other conspiracy theories, and treating  other non-viable sources with no integrity as legitimate, would accept dunne's crap as legitimate. I am not saying it is 100% accurate, but believe it is close.

You can just look at the Tyler Dunne threads in here to see that he's fooled only the most feeble-minded Bills fans; they've already been appropriately labeled as such. Even less-than-savvy fans can see right through him.

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

I have been given many many  'writings' by friends who think they prove yet another conspiracy theory.  Reading Dunne's 'articles" I was shocked to see how close they were to those writings.  He offers no usable facts, has extremely poor, over the top, biased language throughout, and simply twists all to make his (conspiracy theory) point, hatred of McDermott stand out. Sadly, he can clearly fool a small minority of people, who then just circulate his nonsense (conspiracy theory).

Yes, I cannot imagine anyone accepting his non-journalism as gospel, as it is just a conspiracy theory too, one NO reputable publication would ever considering publishing--ever.  They would rip it up and likely fire him for presenting the trash that it is, the violation of journalistic integrity.

To me, only those slurping up the other conspiracy theories, and treating  other non-viable sources with no integrity as legitimate, would accept dunne's crap as legitimate. I am not saying it is 100% accurate, but believe it is close.

Again I have no idea what you're talking about here.  My reaction to Dunn's article was that some of his observations line up with my own and provide additional perspective on issues facing he Bills.  Nothing more and nothing less.

It seems you have a problem with Dunn, fine. But it's beyond presumptuous to lecture those of us who agree with some of what Dunn says that our agreement is indicative of some greater political failings. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

You can just look at the Tyler Dunne threads in here to see that he's fooled only the most feeble-minded Bills fans; they've already been appropriately labeled as such. Even less-than-savvy fans can see right through him.

Can you be more specific?  Because feeble minded or not Dunn has identified and called out some problems with the Bills that line up with what a lot of discerning Bills fans had already noticed.  For example Dunn makes a case that McD doesn't understand Allen or what makes an elite QB tick.  And after McD's public comments and what we saw from Allen over the first half of the season this observation seems spot on to me.

Dunn offers a plausible explanation for why McD/Bean have not surrounded Allen with the best possible offensive talent. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.