McDermott will scapegoat himself using injuries as an excuse

BeastMaster

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

What makes you so confident that even if by some amazing luck we play Mahomes or Burrow with a healthy team, that we will win?

McDermott routinely gets out coached and his defense gets trounced every playoffs against these guys

You're talking hypotheticals with zero evidence that any McDermott defense can beat those teams in the playoffs. We now have four years of his defense getting absolutely worked

And what makes you so confident you'll find anyone better?  I'ts easy to say you will, but when you look at how many coaches get fired every year, no idea will be any better and likely short term would set things back

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And what makes you so confident you'll find anyone better?  I'ts easy to say you will, but when you look at how many coaches get fired every year, no idea will be any better and likely short term would set things back

So run it back again with someone that we know cannot get us past the Mahomes and Burrows of this league?

Definition of insanity 

17 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I disagree

He hasn't proven a damn thing against the top QB's in the playoffs...they have abused his defense...healthy or not.

You will make excuses every year and say x person was out, they had injuries, etc

This time they had the home game, and they had a KC offense that hadn't shown anything all season. 

This was their best shot, and they laid an egg again. Your evidence is regular season wins, but my evidence is postseason losses.

We are talking postseason here, so my evidence is more compelling

I agree- he hasn’t proven a dam thing against top QBs in the playoffs.  

my evidence is how they perform with a somewhat healthy D.  It doesn’t have to be totally healthy.  Just not ravaged by injuries.  It just so happens that we are only somewhat healthy in the regular season….. and by the time the playoffs come around, we aren’t.  Each time we’ve played KC during the regular season, our D has been much healthier than when we face them in the playoffs.  

Regular season-  we’ve been healthier and the D played well

playoffs- we’ve been banged up.  

I’d love to see KC beat us without Chris Jones or Sneed.  Not happening

8 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I agree on all but keeping McD.  We're going to lose a lot of pieces this year, or should lose a lot of pieces.  Just as well start fresh now.  

McD isn't going anywhere - how long did it take Reid to get to the Super Bowl ? 

Just now, NewEra said:

I agree- he hasn’t proven a dam thing against top QBs in the playoffs.  

my evidence is how they perform with a somewhat healthy D.  It doesn’t have to be totally healthy.  Just not ravaged by injuries.  It just so happens that we are only somewhat healthy in the regular season….. and by the time the playoffs come around, we aren’t.  Each time we’ve played KC during the regular season, our D has been much healthier than when we face them in the playoffs.  

Regular season-  we’ve been healthier and the D played well

playoffs- we’ve been banged up.  

I’d love to see KC beat us without Chris Jones or Sneed.  Not happening

You could be right, but I'm not willing to give McDermott that chance again. Part of the reason we weren't healthy is because we had to play for our season from week 11 on. We could've had a bye week and been in much better shape. McDermott is to blame for our 6-6 start.

Too many of these losses, and too many bad coaching decisions year after year.

He doesn't get to keep blowing chances while Josh is playing championship football. Four playoff losses when they should have won is enough. 

6 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Once he got himself a top tier QB he’s gotten himself there 3 of the last 4 seasons. I’d like to think Allen is a top tier QB…..we’ve made the AFCC game once and every time we’ve been knocked out it’s because the defense can’t stop anyone!

Edited by streetkings01
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

It took him leaving Philly and drafting Mahomes

Mahomes and Reid own McDermott in the playoffs 

Maybe we'll have a chance when Andy calls it quits

Or maybe not

Just now, Billever76 said:

What's mind boggling to me is half this fanbase is fractured on their support of McDermott...half still support this coach above ANYONE including at the risk of wasting the entire prime career of a quarterback like josh allen

Definition of insanity is giving McDermott another year of prime Josh Allen to throw away

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Probaly not and we'll be having this same conversation next year.  Reid lost in Philly.  He didn't win until he was with KC.  We're the Philly situation in this timeline.  

Maybe, but we're only at year 2004 in that timeline. Reid went 4-12 in his last year in Philly.

1 minute ago, Seventeen said:

Maybe, but we're only at year 2004 in that timeline. Reid went 4-12 in his last year in Philly.

Sorry, I missed quoting you before.  Reid also had no super bowls until Mahomes.  I think we have a comparable player.  Where is the rest of this organization (top to bottom)?  There's a psychological aspect to this too.  After a while the players don't believe it.  Maybe they are there now.  How long is Josh on board?      

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And the injuries were a totally different story as well, my guy.  

when we played them in the regular season each year, we had Bernard and Benford. 

13 seconds, our corners were Levi and Dane.  We had Tre during the regular season and pounded them.  

last year, we had a healthy von and he wrecked them. 

That’s my point-  McD has proven he’s able to stop them…..when he has a somewhat healthy roster.  Missing Milano, Bernard, Tre, Benford, Rapp and JP hurt.  Big time.   Hell, even losing Spector hurt last night 

We had most of those guys against Denver, Philadelphia, and the Pats.  His defense craps the bed more often than not.

Josh is amazing more often than not. 

Josh playing bad (Jets) and McD's defense playing well against an elite QB(Mahomes regular season, Jackson playoffs) are the anomalies not the norm.

23 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Once he got himself a top tier QB he’s gotten himself there 3 of the last 4 seasons. I’d like to think Allen is a top tier QB…..we’ve made the AFCC game once and every time we’ve been knocked out it’s because the defense can’t stop anyone!

No, he had a great QB in Philly.  McNabb was a top tier QB and has a case for being the QB who got the most out of the least outside of Tom Brady.  

McNabb was saddled almost his whole career with trash to throw to and still was one of the best QBs in the NFL most of his career.

Reid still couldn’t get over the hump nor did that organization ever properly get McNabb better weapons.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Mcdermott is a solid HC and maybe he could win it one day. 

He's clearly not at this level. I feel like when he will be ready, Allen will be old.

When it counts the most, year after year, it's like the Bills has no HC.

At the 2 minuts warning, we were exactly where we need to be: we have th ball in Chiefs zone.

You need to have a solid HC to be there.  

Then, they discussed at the 2 minuts warning break and suddenly, nothing was clear. They try to eat the clock or score fast? I dont know. It wast clear at all.

In this 13 seconds game, it was the samething. You need to be a solid HC to take the lead at KC in playoff with 13 seconds left.

Then, the defense was totally lost on the field when it counts the most.

When it count the most and  it's clear for a HC, it will be damn clear for the players.

When it's not, the players are lost.

Injury or not, no matter what, it happen year after year, when it count the most, we blow it.

At this point, it cannot just be badluck. Clearly not.

5-6 in playoffs say something.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

It took him leaving Philly and drafting Mahomes

Mahomes and Reid own McDermott in the playoffs 

Maybe we'll have a chance when Andy calls it quits

Or maybe not

Definition of insanity is giving McDermott another year of prime Josh Allen to throw away

Who are you going to hire ? You'll need a new OC/DC as well as Brady could be gone. 

McD would be snapped up in a week if he's let go. 

2 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

You could be right, but I'm not willing to give McDermott that chance again. Part of the reason we weren't healthy is because we had to play for our season from week 11 on. We could've had a bye week and been in much better shape. McDermott is to blame for our 6-6 start.

Too many of these losses, and too many bad coaching decisions year after year.

He doesn't get to keep blowing chances while Josh is playing championship football. Four playoff losses when they should have won is enough. 

I hear ya.  

I’d have zero problem if we fired McD and hired Ben Johnson to give Josh a great offensive mind to work with.  His overall philosophy doesn’t seem able to bring home the gold without a healthy defense.  And our defense just can’t stay healthy.  

That said, I do not believe that we lost that game because of him.  I do believe we would have won if we had just one of our starting Lbs from opening day healthy.  I don’t think that’s too hard to ask for.  Every team remaining in the playoffs has all of their starting LBers healthy.  AJ Klein is not an nfl player at the moment and Reid took advantage of it.  

min fine bringing back McD and Brady-  I’m also fine if we decide to go in a different direction…..but who we replace him with will likely decide the Josh allen era fate.  We better get it right

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Will you ***** people do me a ***** favor and cut this ***** out? You knuckleheads wouldn't use that kind of a line if he was a Jew or a Buddhist.

well, McD is Islamic.

• Haha (+1) 1

I still find the injury excuse fascinating.

It's like the people that keep pushing this narrative believes that there is some sort of magical universe where the only NFL teams that can win big games in the playoffs or a superbowl are somehow 100% healthy all year.

Yes it sucks, but still not sure what reality exists where guys like Milano, White, etc haven't been 100% healthy in the playoffs and still complete no shows in big games like this. Specifically White in the 2020 AFCCG against the Chiefs and Milano in the 2021 (13 seconds) divisional. They did absolutely nothing.

Also for all the hype about Oliver and Daquan Jones they were among the biggest no shows yesterday in a game they needed to dominate at least 30% + percent of their one on one matches to have a chance to win.

The answer is YES… because we have Josh Allen. So the notion that McDermott can’t be fired is ridiculous. For goodness sake the Eagles almost fired Sirriani and he took them to the Super Bowl last year and made the playoffs this year. So any coach that comes in would get just as far as McDermott cause we have a top 5 QB. McDermott is a good coach but not good enough to get us a ring. There are a lot of good coaches out there, it’s time for a change.

3 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

The answer is YES… because we have Josh Allen. So the notion that McDermott can’t be fired is ridiculous. For goodness sake the Eagles almost fired Sirriani and he took them to the Super Bowl last year and made the playoffs this year. So any coach that comes in would get just as far as McDermott cause we have a top 5 QB. McDermott is a good coach but not good enough to get us a ring. There are a lot of good coaches out there, it’s time for a change.

In your title, you say "make the playoffs." In your post you say "get us a ring." Which is it? Becuase there is an ocean of difference between making the tournament and winning it. 

Edited by RkFast

2 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

The Bolded is all anyone needs to know.  And WTH punt on 4th and 5 when you have Allen?  Look, get Josh 2 legit WR to go with Kincaid and Shakir, bring in a better system and watch what happens.

We would. But the result would be the same. It's amazing that fans still think after one regime losing 4 straight Super Bowls, another having the music city miracle, a bunch more missing the playoffs for nearly 20 years and then getting another regime that makes it every year just to lose in the divisional round is some how gonna go win one with the next guy. Lol. We can fire McDermott but the results will stay the same

Injuries aren't McDermott's excuses, they're McDermott's facts!

Anyone seriously thinking our secondary was going to stop Kelce, Rice and Pacheo is and was delusional.

The only chance I gave us, was if we scored on every procession, we might be able to squeeze out a win. Didn't happen, so on to next year.

Stop and think, we were 6 and 6, 3/4 way through the season. We had two playoff home games. This was the best the team could do, I ain't mad. Stop crying with a loaf of bread up under your arm. 

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think if we had a HC who ran an elite offensive system, we would have a dynasty. 

Yup, look at Kyle Shanahan getting to a SB with Jimmy G and now one of Purdy or Goff will be in the SB. Even Sirianni made the SB and it was close. Our clown of a HC can't get past the divisional round with an elite QB. 

2 hours ago, BillsMontreal said:

Mcdermott is a solid HC and maybe he could win it one day. 

He's clearly not at this level. I feel like when he will be ready, Allen will be old.

When it counts the most, year after year, it's like the Bills has no HC.

At the 2 minuts warning, we were exactly where we need to be: we have th ball in Chiefs zone.

You need to have a solid HC to be there.  

Then, they discussed at the 2 minuts warning break and suddenly, nothing was clear. They try to eat the clock or score fast? I dont know. It wast clear at all.

In this 13 seconds game, it was the samething. You need to be a solid HC to take the lead at KC in playoff with 13 seconds left.

Then, the defense was totally lost on the field when it counts the most.

When it count the most and  it's clear for a HC, it will be damn clear for the players.

When it's not, the players are lost.

Injury or not, no matter what, it happen year after year, when it count the most, we blow it.

At this point, it cannot just be badluck. Clearly not.

5-6 in playoffs say something.

McDermott needs the 2023 ravens defense to get to the championship game....if not for dabol in 2023 we do not make that afccg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yup, look at Kyle Shanahan getting to a SB with Jimmy G and now one of Purdy or Goff will be in the SB. Even Sirianni made the SB and it was close. Our clown of a HC can't get past the divisional round with an elite QB. 

Defense doesn’t win championships anymore, just helps survive when a QB has an off game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.