Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

of course we're looking for the throw to digs... it's 2nd down, don't need a touch down right there and why on earth would you WILLINGLY give the ball back to KC in the context of this game and this history of these 2 teams and the state of our defense when you have the option to get a few yards towards the 1st down, then do something on 3rd down to maybe get it.

the game isn't about the touchdown first, the game is about running out the clock, if literally shouldn't lose running out the clock cause the field goal is like a 25 yarder at the 15 after a 1st down

throwing to shakir was the worst of the 2 options between shakir and diggs Josh had in that moment.. and why we are even throwing the ball is more dumb founding if you're gonna kick the FG anyways lol.  if the offense can't net 2-3 yards on 2nd and 3rd down runs you lose nothing lol and run the clock with a higher probability on a tie for O.T.

the only logic to score a TD with 1:50 on the game is you expect your defense to stop KC.... do you honestly believe that is the best decision?

Edited by BillsfaninCT

Nah he should have taken the underneath throw and backing up one audibled out of the run and got something on 1st down. But were nitpicking one or two plays by the qb while the D line had all game to come up with one and failed   Spagnolo put his d in better position than Brady did for Allen .  Mahomes missed bunch of throws and it didnt matter  Chiefs dont have to ask their qb to make a bazillion plays each game   Only the Bills trot out Allen and ask him to be perfect on 50+ snaps  Lets face it Bills outclassed again in the coaching/adjustments arena  Only in the game  thanks to flukey fumble at goal line and Chiefs not coming up with Josh's fumble and the pass to the sideline few plays later.  Once they adjusted to the Bills run game and started B word smacking the defense you knew it was over

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jukester said:

Exactly.  If Josh would've just climbed the pocket 2 steps and let it rip, we're talking about possibly the game winning touchdown.  The throw to Shakir is absolutely the right read.

If he tries to climb the pocket the throw is late

41 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

the game isn't about the touchdown first, the game is about running out the clock, if literally shouldn't lose running out the clock cause the field goal is like a 25 yarder at the 15 after a 1st down

When its likely your last possession, the game is absolutely about getting the TD first.

• Like (+1) 1

This obviously does NOT apply to everyone as I know there are good people out there

look as a human I feel for him. As an employee, I don't feel bad for him that he missed. He gets paid a lot of money to make this kicks. No one feels bad for me when I mess up at my job BUT to treat a person like garbage because of a game?  All this bull crap about the Bills Madia being family, is pretty much that. Bull crap. It only exists when we are winning?  Stop throwing ice balls. Stop treating people like trash. 

E4DA1520-59D9-42B2-ACF8-AC7ECACC9279.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This obviously does NOT apply to everyone as I know there are good people out there

look as a human I feel for him. As an employee, I don't feel bad for him that he missed. He gets paid a lot of money to make this kicks. No one feels bad for me when I mess up at my job BUT to treat a person like garbage because of a game?  All this bull crap about the Bills Madia being family, is pretty much that. Bull crap. It only exists when we are winning?  Stop throwing ice balls. Stop treating people like trash. 

Bills mafia is weak. Their claim to fame is "we went to the good weather games during the drought years" and jump through tables, and drink shots from a bowling ball.  Harassing a player is disgusting.  They were equally soft in the stadium.  All week I heard about how KC would have a tough time in our stadium because it would be so loud.  They were all drunk and on their phones by half time.  Tight game all game and this soft crowd wasn't even loud enough to make Mahomes use a silent count.  Perhaps they should harass themselves.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

When its likely your last possession, the game is absolutely about getting the TD first.

to ensure it is your last possession, you run the clock out by getting a first down.

in your scenario and the one they attempted the defense has to make a stop with 1:50 left in the game and there isn't quantitative evidence to believe in this game or from the past playoff games the defense makes that stop

so the fundamental problem is the clock, not the TD because the field goal could've been at least 5yrds closer if not more.

it's a bad decision to prioritize the touchdown over the clock

the strategy there is to not let KC get the ball back and at worse kick the FG as time in regulation expires.

the entire approach relied on the defense making a stop.

if you believe the defense can make a stop, why we playing 6 games and 58 minutes the like they can't?  it's like the game plan got thrown out with 2 mins to go.

Edited by BillsfaninCT

Just now, BillsfaninCT said:

to ensure it is your last possession, you run the clock out by getting a first down.

you'd have to believe in your scenario that the defense makes a stop, there's no reason to believe that and it's not necessary to do to start with.

When a TD is there you take it.  There is never a sure TD. You may never get a wide open receiver in the endzone like that again.

This whole season is on McDermott. 

This team should have easily been the 1 seed rather than giving games away to Zac Wilson and Mac Jones, 12 men on the field, routinely squeaking out wins playing down to competition like Easton Stick and Bailey Zappe.

This team is getting credit for going on a winning streak and squeaking out the division when it never should’ve been close in the first place.

Seriously, trade him to Carolina, it’s a win win scenario.

I promised to stay away from the media - but failed. It's making me sad how the game has become one more in this neverending referendum on Josh Allen.

The expectations of him are comical at this point. And if you point out that once again, he carried the team & got almost no help, you're "making excuses" for him. Because he's just not a "big game player."

And all anyone talks about is his "choice" to go to the EZ instead of to Diggs - like he had time to draw up a list of pros and cons, and look at all of the options in front of him w/ about 2 seconds.  And he likely gets hit on a throw to Diggs also.

We're not talking about a 2 INT game where JA just didn't show.  Every one of those 24 points was his play, which was as good a performance as many that have been nationally praised for other QB's, because their teams happened to win.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

When a TD is there you take it.  There is never a sure TD. You may never get a wide open receiver in the endzone like that again.

no you don't!  cause you don't win the game that way in this scenario.  we didn't need the end zone, we needed the clock run out and kick a 20yd field goal, then get a 50/50 coin toss to get the ball in O.T. and on the premise, the likely one, neither D stops either offense the bills win on the 2nd score.

it's terrible coaching, execution or something.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Bills mafia is weak. Their claim to fame is "we went to the good weather games during the drought years" and jump through tables, and drink shots from a bowling ball.  Harassing a player is disgusting.  They were equally soft in the stadium.  All week I heard about how KC would have a tough time in our stadium because it would be so loud.  They were all drunk and on their phones by half time.  Tight game all game and this soft crowd wasn't even loud enough to make Mahomes use a silent count.  Perhaps they should harass themselves.

We got pics of fans crying (I kinda get it emotions are high)

throwing ice balls

and now this

Bills fans do an awful great job at calling out other fans for being horrible yet act the same. I know people who won't even go to a game for fear of our fans. 
Again it's not everyone. We certainly do have some great people that support this team. 
I'm just seeing the media portraying the fan base as a bunch of hostile weak bullies right now and that's not who we're supposed to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

We got pics of fans crying (I kinda get it emotions are high)

throwing ice balls

and now this

Bills fans do an awful great job at calling out other fans for being horrible yet act the same. I know people who won't even go to a game for fear of our fans. 
Again it's not everyone. We certainly do have some great people that support this team. 
I'm just seeing the media portraying the fan base as a bunch of hostile weak bullies right now and that's not who we're supposed to be. 

Oh, 100% its not everyone and every fan base has bad apples and fairweather fans.  

14 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

no you don't!  cause you don't win the game that way in this scenario.  we didn't need the end zone, we needed the clock run out and kick a 20yd field goal, then get a 50/50 coin toss to get the ball in O.T. and on the premise, the likely one, neither D stops either offense the bills win on the 2nd score.

You and I are never going to agree.  I will at this point just agree to disagree with you instead of arguing in circles.

100% this.  Full text so you don't have to click

Travis Kelce didn’t have a single game in the 18 before last night’s with more than 1 touchdown. Shows up to Highmark and catches 5 passes on 6 targets for 75 yards and 2 TDs! Stefon Diggs’ last 100-yard game was in Week 6. He caught 3 passes on 8 targets for 21 yards and 0 TDs last night. Neither Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen have a great collection of weapons. You needed the stars to shine last night. KC’s did and Buffalo’s no. 1 option didn’t. He had his chances. It’s hard to win in the playoffs when your best players don’t produce. Same goes for Ed Oliver.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I guess he should’ve picked a different career. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BillsfaninCT said:

of course we're looking for the throw to digs... it's 2nd down, don't need a touch down right there and why on earth would you WILLINGLY give the ball back to KC in the context of this game and this history of these 2 teams and the state of our defense when you have the option to get a few yards towards the 1st down, then do something on 3rd down to maybe get it.

throwing to shakir was the worst of the 2 options between shakir and diggs Josh had in that moment.. and why we are even throwing the ball is more dumb founding if you're gonna kick the FG anyways lol.  if the offense can't net 2-3 yards on 2nd and 3rd down runs you lose nothing lol and run the clock with a higher probability on a tie for O.T.

the only logic to score a TD with 1:50 on the game is you expect your defense to stop KC.... do you honestly believe that is the best decision?

Agreed but the prior possession the D stopped em for 3 yards on 6 plays, that's a fact 

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Oh, 100% its not everyone and every fan base has bad apples and fairweather fans.  

You and I are never going to agree.  I will at this point just agree to disagree with you instead of arguing in circles.

100% this.  Full text so you don't have to click

Travis Kelce didn’t have a single game in the 18 before last night’s with more than 1 touchdown. Shows up to Highmark and catches 5 passes on 6 targets for 75 yards and 2 TDs! Stefon Diggs’ last 100-yard game was in Week 6. He caught 3 passes on 8 targets for 21 yards and 0 TDs last night. Neither Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen have a great collection of weapons. You needed the stars to shine last night. KC’s did and Buffalo’s no. 1 option didn’t. He had his chances. It’s hard to win in the playoffs when your best players don’t produce. Same goes for Ed Oliver.

Anyone would shine playing a defense as depleted as our was. Great Job at being awesome Mahomes. 

I was reflecting back on these and past playoff games today.

I came to the realization that I actually enjoy regular season football more than playoff football. You still want to win in a bad way but you know that there will also be a game next week.

Playoff football? I almost get too worked up to actually enjoy the game.

I know. Wierd.

• Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Baltimore caused 6 false starts Saturday.  The Mafia forced 0.  Again that's coaching and discipline.  Reid is light years better than McD.

• Agree 2

Has the media decided on a name for this game yet?

For me, it will always be the touchback game. Bills losses are named after the various ways our team rips our heart out of our chest. Wide right. Throw back. 13 seconds. The touch back was the point where we went from no hope to hope only the best player in franchise history to not come through. 

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I came to the realization that I actually enjoy regular season football more than playoff football. You still want to win in a bad way but you know that there will also be a game next week.

I know. Wierd.

I know what you mean here.  I feel a little the same way.  I think it's just the history. I was way more excited about the Texans playoff game, and the Colts & then the Ravens.

But as time has gone on and we keep fizzling, it feels heavier.  Almost a jaded feeling.

At this point, my expectations for a title are so much lower than they were after 13 seconds.  I plan to just enjoy Bills football now, and if we get one eventually, it will just be an amazing surprise that I'll relish.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Need to make that catch Diggs.  I dunno what it was but you had problems for half the year.  This was your moment to shine.  Don't worry, Allen will shoulder the blame of this game for all the players that played like this.

Allen threw this ball 65 yards in the air. From his 10 to the bills 25. Dropped it right in his hands. Could be the best throw he has ever made. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

Yes because playing for the tie and OT has always worked out so well for us.

The way I saw OT playing out, we would get the ball first -- either because we won the toss or KC deferred -- score a TD and kick the XP; and then the Chiefs would drive the field, score a tuddy, go for two and make it.  Game over.  Or else Bass would miss the XP and the Chiefs would just go get seven.  As soon as we trotted out the FG unit, we lost that game.

Shakir was as open as anyone could be AND he was our only WR who was actually catching footballs.  Of course you'd like to run the clock down first, but that doesn't mean you pass up the chance for a four-point lead.

58 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

In the first quarter I couldn't hear Kermit's voice on the broadcast and that was great.  But it didn't last.  Part of it is that the annoying pitch/frequency of his voice just cuts through crowd noise in a way that others can't.  But the crowd definitely got quieter, and I was worried about their first drive after halftime because I knew so many people would still be in the concession/bathroom lines.  

People harassing Bass or any other player should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs getting a first down on that play wasn't even guaranteed.  Two guys could have easily collapsed on him and KC was doing a great job of tackling and not allowing extra yards in the pass game as they tightened up throughout the game.  The time for Allen to throw that pass if he were to would have been right over the middle, 2 yards past the LoS.  Diggs would have had 7 yards to go with 2 chiefs in his way to stop it.

The throw to Shakir was the right read.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Man, I'm so tired of the dissecting of Allen's decision to go to the EZ on that play.

This kind of analysis just doesn't happen 20 years ago. But now we have hundreds of pods, websites, shows, et al, with all of the "experts" weighing in.  The fact that this one play is getting so scrutinized is more a symptom of where we're at in terms of sports culture than any kind of reasonable assessment of a game.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Man, I'm so tired of the dissecting of Allen's decision to go to the EZ on that play.

This kind of analysis just doesn't happen 20 years ago. But now we have hundreds of pods, websites, shows, et al, with all of the "experts" weighing in.  The fact that this one play is getting so scrutinized is more a symptom of where we're at in terms of sports culture than any kind of reasonable assessment of a game.

Not to mention that Romo's take -- which is what most people are piggybacking off of -- was just wrong.

Let's not forget that this is a QB who lost a playoff game because he couldn't field a snap and then he lost his mind after picking it up.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Beast said:

I know. Wierd.

It’s not weird at all but the playoffs are where legends are made in pro sports.  It comes down to making that one last throw, the catch, the sack, the pick, forcing a fumble… etc.  A lot of losers at the end of the season because winning is the ultimate.  

For me, the reg season is a cool time killer.  It’s fun.. but the playoffs are when I actually pay close attention.  Just remember.. we can’t influence any of these games on the field so some perspective is necessary.  

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

The TD wasn't there to "take".   Chris Jones assured that.   Which shouldn't have been unpredictable.    The Chiefs were struggling all night to stop the Bills short passing and run games.   That was their weakness coming in and there was no reason to get away from that.   Were any other 30 air yard throws even completed by the Bills?     

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Were any other 30 air yard throws even completed by the Bills?     

If Diggs and Sherfield had done their jobs, you wouldn't be asking that question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, BRH said:

If Diggs and Sherfield had done their jobs, you wouldn't be asking that question.

That's entirely part of the point.   They haven't been connecting on deep throws.   They haven't been doing that job before.  Not sure why you'd expect that to change.

And off of memory that would have been the longest air yards throw completed to Shakir all season.   Last season they tried him more on deeper throws and he struggled to track the ball further downfield.......famously dropping what should have been a wide open bomb in the Miami playoff game.    This season he's strictly been a short to intermediate target and that's played into his strengths.  

BTW.........kudos to Spags for the 2nd down blitz in the first half the preceded the Bills first punt.   He suckered Allen out of the gameplan.   That was the first of the two long incompletions to Sherfield.   That was also a big play in the game.   

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Jerry Sullivan talking facts...

Do they let him in the locker room these days or is he just repeating what others told him?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's entirely part of the point.   They haven't been connecting on deep throws.   They haven't been doing that job before.  Not sure why you'd expect that to change.

And off of memory that would have been the longest air yards throw completed to Shakir all season.   Last season they tried him more on deeper throws and he struggled to track the ball further downfield.......famously dropping what should have been a wide open bomb in the Miami playoff game.    This season he's strictly been a short to intermediate target and that's played into his strengths.  

BTW.........kudos to Spags for the 2nd down blitz in the first half the preceded the Bills first punt.   He suckered Allen out of the gameplan.   That was the first of the two long incompletions to Sherfield.   That was also a big play in the game.   

Fair enough, and good point re Spags.  I just think Shakir makes the play because that's who he is now:  our most trusted pair of hands in the WR room.  

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Did you hear any interviews from these guys? I sure didn't 

That wasn't my question.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.