Butkowski Report: Slidegate

JGMcD2

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

My joke was a satirical add-on to @Don Otreply's own satirical observation about Josh being "over-commercialized." I may be a latter half Gen Xer, but I routinely buy things from far away online. :) 

IF you have to explain sarcasm it's not funny from another Gen Xer. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Haha (+1) 1

Two thoughts on this.

One:  even though this started among Pittsburgh fans, there's a subtle campaign from Mahomes/Chiefs lovers to play this up in the hopes that a Josh run on Sunday will draw a flag.

Two:  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Competition Committee receive a ridiculous proposal requiring quarterbacks to run in a straight line or slide after they cross the line of scrimmage.  No more "juking" allowed.  To which I say fine, then quarterbacks must also run directly out of bounds when they are across the line and outside the hashmarks.

• Like (+1) 2

That guy has too much time on his hands. 

I'm not seeing anything that looks like an attempt to slide in most of those clips. Even in the 52 yard run last game, I didn't see it. What I saw appeared to be Josh considering his options in those split seconds. I believe there was very slight hesitation before he decided he could keep going. Nothing unusual there. When a running back makes the move they call it a juke.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I don’t look at them as fake slides. He’s just freakishly athletic 

Absolutely!   I watched the video expecting to see that yes, he does fake slides.   I didn't see one.  What I saw was a natural ball carrier.   

Actually, the video made me appreciate how good he is.  I've always thought he was a big guy, with good speed for his size, who took advantage of openings to make chunk plays.   What I realized seeing all of these together is that he is more than that - he is a true open field runner.  He sees the field and has the ability to make cuts, change direction, and accelerate.   As you say, he's freakishly athletic.  

He'd be really good if he could throw.  🤩

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BRH said:

Two thoughts on this.

One:  even though this started among Pittsburgh fans, there's a subtle campaign from Mahomes/Chiefs lovers to play this up in the hopes that a Josh run on Sunday will draw a flag.

Two:  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Competition Committee receive a ridiculous proposal requiring quarterbacks to run in a straight line or slide after they cross the line of scrimmage.  No more "juking" allowed.  To which I say fine, then quarterbacks must also run directly out of bounds when they are across the line and outside the hashmarks.

That would hurt their mvp Lamar Jackson an awful lot lol

4 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

I like when he does the pump fake 7 yards down field and players fall for it.

You’ve only gotta freeze guys for the tiniest fraction of a second and they’re gonna miss the tackle…same principal for the stutter step juke…kazee froze for a very small amount of time thinkin about what angle he should take and was out of position..  Steelers fans implying he quit on the play thinking it was over are completely wrong..  the dude stayed in a ready position he just stopped moving forward because he wasn’t sure which way josh was gonna go and didn’t want to run himself right out of the play 

one steeler did get lazy trying to fight off a block because he just assumed kazee would finish the tackle but kazee got absolutely trucked lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

That's a fun compilation- to see them all together is so impressive.  Dude running like a locomotive then just cuts at full speed

• Agree 1

The pump fake is legitimate.  I saw Jerry Juedy of the Bronco's, a wr, do it after a catch in the flat  in a game this season.   (It froze the cb btw)  Pump fake transcends  football, used in basketball all the time.  And, the QB's  pump fake in the pocket all the time too.  And, sometimes, its not a fake, just a pulled back throw attempt cut short.

Its not a slide  until the butt hits the ground imho.

13 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Not even joking, there are people that are complaining about the "QB slide" rule (which applies to everyone) regarding his runs.  Even to the point of saying he should be fined for fake sliding.

Nibody brings this up, Wiz. You are 100% correct.

GNfj.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BRH said:

Two thoughts on this.

Yeah cuz we need the refs making judgement calls and blowing errant whistles for "fake slides".  Could you imagine?  They can't even get the helmet to helmet stuff right.  

"He stopped running for a split second and i thought he might slide so i just blew it dead" - Could you imagine if the ref had to say that to the bills stadium? 

Competition committee can complain all they want, but there are two factors in play here.  1 - It would never get the votes approved because the league cares more about protecting QB assets than fans. 2 - The refs would never call this.  They would never overrule it if it was somehow made a challenge or something.  The rules are down by contact, and out of bounds.  

You give yourself up when your butt touches the ground, or your foot touches the boundary.    His butt didn't touch the ground, so the onus is on the defender to tackle him.  In fact it never even really approached the ground, so what are we even talking about here?!

5 hours ago, BRH said:

Two thoughts on this.

Then the joke’s on them. There’s no such penalty. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have added the 52 yards playoff TD to The WTF Viking Hurdle, The Kiko Alonso Revolving Door Trap, and the Thanksgiving Cowboy B*** Buster as my top three favorite Allen runs.   Honorable mention to the Sneed Leap.

Imagine drafting a quarterback where you’d ultimately have to name hurdles.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

Then the joke’s on them. There’s no such penalty. 

Except that since we drew spawn of biceps Hochuli to ref, he'll figure out a way to maybe fashion an offensive unnecessary roughness penalty out of it? Remember, he needs to fill his 10 penalty average quota against the Bills...  

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Simply brilliant. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Josh juked the defenders and ran past defensive backs to score the TD and people are trying to claim that he did a fake slide.

As a former RB in high school, I can tell you that what happened on that play was in NO WAY a fake slide.

In the words of Vic Fangio: Josh is a dude.

It is amazing how some come out of the woodwork to criticize Josh -- in many instances to push some other agenda.

We are VERY fortunate to have Josh as our QB. He also is perfect for Buffalo.

Go Bills! 

• Agree 1

Cut=Fake Slide 

And the guy made this video in favor of Allen

23 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Except that since we drew spawn of biceps Hochuli to ref, he'll figure out a way to maybe fashion an offensive unnecessary roughness penalty out of it? Remember, he needs to fill his 10 penalty average quota against the Bills...  

Simply brilliant. 

If anything Minkah fake tackled on that play

Edited by Starr Almighty
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.