Sam Martin named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month

Roundybout

30 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Weird. All I hear around here is that he's terrible and should be cut.

Prior to December, Martin was kicking short and straight up the middle of the field, resulting in many long PR's.  In the past few weeks, he's been kicking much better, getting his kicks outside the numbers with good hang time and also pinning teams deep, with the help of Wrap 😉  I still think we should give Araiza another shot, but Martin will do for now.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Prior to December, Martin was kicking short and straight up the middle of the field, resulting in many long PR's.  In the past few weeks, he's been kicking much better, getting his kicks outside the numbers with good hang time and also pinning teams deep, with the help of Wrap 😉  I still think we should give Araiza another shot, but Martin will do for now.

If Araiza was any good at all, he'd at least be on an NFL practice squad. The infatuation with a dude that never kicked a ball in the NFL is insane.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If Araiza was any good at all, he'd at least be on an NFL practice squad. The infatuation with a dude that never kicked a ball in the NFL is insane.

You forget the SCUD missile he had in his first preseason game with us.  It brought rain.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

End of season stats has Martin ranked 29th in both avg and net.  We can do better to flip the field.  I'm not sold on Martin just because he's figured some things out these last few weeks. It's like saying let's just re-sign Gabe because of the KC game.  Season long consistency has to count for something. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

End of season stats has Martin ranked 29th in both avg and net.  We can do better to flip the field.  I'm not sold on Martin just because he's figured some things out these last few weeks. It's like saying let's just re-sign Gabe because of the KC game.  Season long consistency has to count for something. 

Agreed. I'm sure they will bring in some competition next year. They have a ton of draft picks so taking a flyer on best college punter would be wise. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's buffalo - we will never have the best punter and kicker in the league.  He is 29th in net average.  The difference between 29th and 12th is 2.4 yards - across 51 punts that is 122.4 yards of field position.  Having said that - he had a few poor games and some poor coverage made the issues worse. 

Couple nice points though -

13th at 5.9% in TB percentage.  

4th at 47.1% in in20 percentage.

Buffalo was also 4th in opponents drive start average at the 27.1 yard line.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It's buffalo - we will never have the best punter and kicker in the league.  He is 29th in net average.  The difference between 29th and 12th is 2.4 yards - across 51 punts that is 122.4 yards of field position.  Having said that - he had a few poor games and some poor coverage made the issues worse. 

Bills used to have best punter in league - Brian Moorman who was doing a lot more than kicking just as Josh is doing a lot more than throwing.

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bills used to have best punter in league - Brian Moorman who was doing a lot more than kicking just as Josh is doing a lot more than throwing.

13 carries for 55 yards and 0 TDs.... Oh and 6 of those were fumbles. 

He was a good punter - great for a few years.  I just feel with the windy weather its tough to hit the top of the league these days as some of these guys can really rip them.  

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

What harm could it do bringing Araiza back for training camp?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

13 carries for 55 yards and 0 TDs.... Oh and 6 of those were fumbles. 

He was a good punter - great for a few years.  I just feel with the windy weather its tough to hit the top of the league these days as some of these guys can really rip them.  

Yes he ran the ball enough to freeze defense.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agreed. I'm sure they will bring in some competition next year. They have a ton of draft picks so taking a flyer on best college punter would be wise. 

Tory Taylor from Iowa would be a nice addition.

9 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

What harm could it do bringing Araiza back for training camp?

What harm could it do bringing literally any other NFL quality punter into training camp?

It's like people actively want the guy for reasons that have nothing to do with his ability.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes he ran the ball enough to freeze defense.

Ah bobby april, i can't remember us running a fake FG or punt for that matter.  I remember he had a really wonky kickoff play that got called a penalty and he was absolutely livid.  I wanna say it was mcgee (one of the slot corners) caught the ball in front of the tight end or whatever who waved fair catch, and they called it a personal foul and kick catch interference.  

16 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Ah bobby april, i can't remember us running a fake FG or punt for that matter.  I remember he had a really wonky kickoff play that got called a penalty and he was absolutely livid.  I wanna say it was mcgee (one of the slot corners) caught the ball in front of the tight end or whatever who waved fair catch, and they called it a personal foul and kick catch interference.  

Moorman was a great coffin kicker during his best years.  Would be great to have with new rules.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

What harm could it do bringing literally any other NFL quality punter into training camp?

It's like people actively want the guy for reasons that have nothing to do with his ability.

They can bring anyone they want.

Are you completely against giving Araiza a second chance?

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yep, he's not good.   He only set the NCAA record for punt average in a season (52.2 yards) once.  And he only won the Ray Guy award as the best punter in the nation once.   If he was any good at all, he would have won the Ray Guy award 3 or 4 times.  

And just like every other kid drafted in the NFL, he was falsely accused of gang rape in a case that received national scrutiny.

Nothing remarkable about this young man at all.  Not sure why his name is ever mentioned.  Just a perfectly ordinary dude like anyone else on the street.  

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

They can bring anyone they want.

Are you completely against giving Araiza a second chance?

100%

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yep, he's not good.   He only set the NCAA record for punt average in a season (52.2 yards) once.  And he only won the Ray Guy award as the best punter in the nation once.   If he was any good at all, he would have won the Ray Guy award 3 or 4 times.  

And just like every other kid drafted in the NFL, he was falsely accused of gang rape in a case that received national scrutiny.

Nothing remarkable about this young man at all.  Not sure why his name is ever mentioned.  Just a perfectly ordinary dude like anyone else on the street.  

Cool. What are his NFL stats?

30 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because we already have a great Punter who just won Special Teams player of the month.

Oh yea, and he's a pervert.

Martin is a great Punter? 

I give him credit for the Monthly recognition he's earned, but let's not pretend that he's been doing this good all season.

He's been serviceable, and I think the Bills can do better at this position going into the future. Bringing in another Punter next year in training camp vis free agency or the draft is not a bad idea. Martin is also 33, bringing in a younger and less expensive player would make sense too.

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

You don't set the NCAA record in yards per punt and win the Ray Guy award if you're not good.  The infatuation with him is because we spent a draft pick on him and he made the team before being falsely accused.  The case against him wasn't settled until December of this season this year and it's rare for a team to sign a free agent punter mid-season.  I think he'll get a shot next training camp and I hope it's with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Moorman was a great coffin kicker during his best years.  Would be great to have with new rules.

Technically martin had a better in20% than moorman had in his entire career...

I think punting has evolved quite a bit in the last 10 years though.  There are guys who can blast it quite far.  Another thing they do now is spin the ball differently, occaisionally knuckle them or end over end, and there are a lot more lefties than there used to be which also can be tough for returners.  

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

100%

Cool. What are his NFL stats?

That's part of what makes the story compelling to many.  His dream of playing in the NFL was stolen by a young lady who made false accusations of involuntary gang rape and an unethical lawyer who broadcast and exaggerated the accusations as loudly as he could.  

You made a remark suggesting Araiza isn't "any good at all."  I believe a kid who wins the Ray Guy award is at least a little good.  His lack of an NFL career has nothing to do with his talent.  It's a matter of PR at this point.  Without the allegations made against him, his career trajectory would have been very different.   When was the last time a college punter with a 51+ yard average didn't make it in the NFL?  It's never happened.  

Nobody on this board has claimed that he's an established NFL punter so I'm not sure why you're asking about his NFL stats.  People are suggesting that maybe the kid deserves a chance.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

21 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Tell that to Brian Moorman

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Martin is a great Punter? 

I give him credit for the Monthly recognition he's earned, but let's not pretend that he's been doing this good all season.

He's been serviceable, and I think the Bills can do better at this position going into the future. Bringing in another Punter next year in training camp vis free agency or the draft is not a bad idea. Martin is also 33, bringing in a younger and less expensive player would make sense too.

If your goal is to pin an opponent within the 20, he's in company with the all-time greats over the course of a career as I detailed in the Martin complaining thread a few weeks back. If you want distance, you could do better, but for a team like the Bills, I'd argue the former is more important.

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Nobody on this board has claimed that he's an established NFL punter so I'm not sure why you're asking about his NFL stats.  People are suggesting that maybe the kid deserves a chance.  

He has NFL stats just preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:44 PM, BullBuchanan said:

It's not a matter of ability that's keeping him off teams. It's teams not wanting to deal with ANY controversy or distraction amongst media or fanbases for a Punter. Especially midseason and especially for a player not even on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.