Sam Martin named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month

Roundybout

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not a matter of ability that's keeping him off teams. It's teams not wanting to deal with ANY controversy or distraction amongst media or fanbases for a Punter. Especially midseason and especially for a player not even on the roster.

I doubt many fanbases will generate controversy for a practice squad punter.

Don't try to jump in deep end just wade into shallow end.

To make amends for cutting a kid who was never arrested, tried, or convicted of a crime, I think Beane should bring Araiza in for a preseason competition with Martin.  Even if Martin beats him out - even if Beane's mind is made up ahead of time - just getting Araiza back into an NFL uniform would be good for the kid.  Maybe some time with the Bills would open some doors for Araiza.  

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I doubt many fanbases will generate controversy for a practice squad punter.

Don't try to jump in deep end just wade into shallow end.

The possibility exists though. And when it comes to a Punter who is a developmental prospect, teams don't want to even bother. Signing him will undoubtedly have the situation brought up again by the media, informing some fans who didn't know the situation prior.

Then there's the problem that even though he has been cleared of criminal activity, what has been confirmed involving him is unscrupulous. Though he was unaware of her age, the fact remains that it is documented, public knowledge that he slept with an underaged girl. And regardless of whether he knew or not, that fact and it being public knowledge is damning and cause for outrage to some, if not many.

Media will surely have questions for the GM who does bring him in about the situation. These are things teams don't want to deal with Midseason for a Punter who isn't even on the roster.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying he shouldn't get another chance. I'm simply saying when it comes to why he's not on a Practice Squad right now - it has nothing to do with his talent or lack thereof.

I do believe he will be given an opportunity by someone to earn a job in Training Camp. I don't see him being handed a job, essentially being a Rookie, and being 2 years removed from Football.

And I think that's another part of it. Midseason, teams have their Punter situation all set. Teams don't generally keep a Punter on the PS. Teams probably view him as a bring to Training Camp, have him compete, and see what happens type guy right now. And I think that's what teams are waiting for. That and dealing with any sort of distraction or fall out is much easier to deal with in the Offseason.

21 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

To make amends for cutting a kid who was never arrested, tried, or convicted of a crime, I think Beane should bring Araiza in for a preseason competition with Martin.  Even if Martin beats him out - even if Beane's mind is made up ahead of time - just getting Araiza back into an NFL uniform would be good for the kid.  Maybe some time with the Bills would open some doors for Araiza.  

I could be wrong here, but I think that only happens if he doesn't have any other options. 

I do know that Araiza has said Buffalo has been keeping in contact with him through the process. So I do think it's very possible that they offer him a shot to come to Training Camp to make amends.

On the other hand though, Araiza during his appearance on HBO Sports seemed upset that he was cut and felt it wasn't fair to him. So I could easily see a scenario where if he has another option, he'd rather go there.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.