Should We Thank Tyler Dunne?

since79

I mentioned this in another thread. Although I agreed with some of his critique, the team had the coach’s back and became offended.
McDermott has evolved over the last six games. He seems to second guess himself less and is more determined.  Josh plays best under adversity and shows a will to win like no other.

The Dunne article and national critique put a chip on this teams shoulder. It bonded them in an improbable way. They did the proverbial, “Circle the Wagons”. Mc Dermott’s growth mindset made him think his way was not getting it done.  Credit to him to accept the criticism and grow. His game management is improved. 

I think this article may be the thing that propels the team to a championship.  I am sure we will hear about what it did when the season is over.

In the words of our hero..

Go Bills!!

And

Maybe Thanks Tyler

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No.  He doesn't deserve anymore attention for his biased scorned ex gf level hit piece that dooche wrote.

I couldn't agree more with this. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Bad Things said:

No way.

The idiot specifically wrote a character assassination hit-piece on a very well respected coach.

I think Tyler Dunne screwed himself.

The only thing Tyler accomplished with that article is getting a paid subscription from @Airseven

Thats it.

• Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, since79 said:

I mentioned this in another thread. Although I agreed with some of his critique, the team had the coach’s back and became offended.
McDermott has evolved over the last six games. He seems to second guess himself less and is more determined.  Josh plays best under adversity and shows a will to win like no other.

The Dunne article and national critique put a chip on this teams shoulder. It bonded them in an improbable way. They did the proverbial, “Circle the Wagons”. Mc Dermott’s growth mindset made him think his way was not getting it done.  Credit to him to accept the criticism and grow. His game management is improved. 

I think this article may be the thing that propels the team to a championship.  I am sure we will hear about what it did when the season is over.

Go Bills!!

And

Maybe Thanks Tyler

The legitimate criticism in Dunne’s article was aimed at McDermott’s decisions in high pressure situations (i.e. 13 seconds, etc.). One of the facets of that criticism was that he would rely on his defense rather than Allen and the offense. At the end of the Dolphins game McDermott relied on Allen and the offense to convert two 4th&1s, including one on our own 35. That is a huge departure from his previous tactics. So it is possible that he took some of the criticism to heart and is now a much better in-game coach for it. If so, then the Bills are a legitimate contender. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No.  He doesn't deserve anymore attention for his biased scorned ex gf level hit piece that dooche wrote.

With the benefit of a bit of time, John Wawrow's take is looking solid:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That article completely changed my view of McDermott... for the better!

The way the team rallied around McD... the way players shouted "we got your back coach" in the locker room after that story came out... told me everything I needed to know. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That article completely changed my view of McDermott... for the better!

The way the team rallied around McD... the way players shouted "we got your back coach" in the locker room after that story came out... told me everything I needed to know. 

I agree.  I in no way thought he was 100% flawed.  This negative press certainly solidified the team.

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The legitimate criticism in Dunne’s article was aimed at McDermott’s decisions in high pressure situations (i.e. 13 seconds, etc.). One of the facets of that criticism was that he would rely on his defense rather than Allen and the offense. At the end of the Dolphins game McDermott relied on Allen and the offense to convert two 4th&1s, including one on our own 35. That is a huge departure from his previous tactics. So it is possible that he took some of the criticism to heart and is now a much better in-game coach for it. If so, then the Bills are a legitimate contender. 

Yeah, that's the part about the whole thing that was most puzzling to me.

I think there was the nucleus of a very solid long-form article delving into McDermott's coaching in general, and specifically some of his in-game decisions and whether they have been "up to par".  A good editor could have helped pruned it into form and kept it away from "character assassination" territory.

I believe that McDermott has a genuine commitment to continuous improvement, which means in part, taking a minute to let things settle and then looking at criticism carefully to see if there's anything there you should use to improve.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

No.  He didn’t write the article with hopes that McD would reflect and work on self improvement.  

He’s a turd

200.gif?cid=60e32e675aqx2uazmvte4nvlcqu6

But McD is a good dude and he seems to have really rallied himself as well as the team.  I have hope that he’ll be here a long time, but he really needs to win a SB very soon

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Agree. I was in the camp that already was getting tired of McD’s blunders, and the article only solidified that opinion, Take out the character stuff, which certainly was a bit gratuitous, and a lot of the criticism of his coaching was spot on

But props where props are due and McD and the team have obviously done very well since. Maybe, just maybe, it forced at least a little introspection on McD’s part and I’d like to think some good came out of it (e.g McD seeming to trust his players more in this stretch). It was also very likely a unifying event for the team overall to rally around. We’ll probably never know the impact it had on the field, if any, but it could very well have helped light the spark for our current run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think there was the nucleus of a very solid long-form article delving into McDermott's coaching in general, and specifically some of his in-game decisions and whether they have been "up to par".  A good editor could have helped pruned it into form and kept it away from "character assassination" territory.

I believe that McDermott has a genuine commitment to continuous improvement, which means in part, taking a minute to let things settle and then looking at criticism carefully to see if there's anything there you should use to improve.

Modern press has eliminated editors with self-publishing software which often does not have spell check capabilities.

In college I had long discussion with contributor on pruning of his article to fit in newspaper with me removing duplicate phrases and such telling him this was not an English composition assignment where he had to hit so many words.   Modern press has eliminated that as well.

According to current generation spelling is not important, grammar is not important and independent sources are not important.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think a lot of people had a hard time separating the axe grinding from the legitimate criticisms. Dunne could have done that himself, but I’m guessing that would have kept sales down.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

With the benefit of a bit of time, John Wawrow's take is looking solid:

If he likes you, obviously he praises you. He'll never get any "atta boys" from me.

It was an article that had to be written... we were about to go off the rails as a team. I don't care if you disagree with me, because the results after are more than enough for me to prove it to be right.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

2 hours ago, since79 said:

Go Bills!!

And

Maybe Thanks Tyler

Really the articles ended up hurting Dunne.  I’m sure he got a little bump in subscribers but is also solidified him as the “hit piece”

guy.  

Last week both Pat McAfee and Mike Florio said the “Tyler Dunne hit piece.”  

In the end, McDermott came out looking better

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Dunne used to be a respected writer but apparently soiled himself to drive clicks.

He’s the hot piece guy

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The problem was that Dunne attempted to paint a narrative that McDermott was a dictator who ran a toxic environment that payers and coaches were unhappy with.  That too was proven to be untrue.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The problem was that Dunne attempted to paint a narrative that McDermott was a dictator who ran a toxic environment that payers and coaches were unhappy with.  That too was proven to be untrue.  

Thats not what I got out of the article. The people he interviewed gave a wide range of opinions on McDermott. Some were harsh, but certainly not all.

49 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thats not what I got out of the article. The people he interviewed gave a wide range of opinions on McDermott. Some were harsh, but certainly not all.

Ugh that’s what 90% of people who read the article took away.  The majority of the article was negative toward McDermott including several personal insults.  

They don’t call the series “The Tyler Dunne Hit Piece” for nothing 

• Disagree 1

I say this not as a critique of anyone but just as a reality - winning just cures everything.  A lot of this board was putting stock in those takes and if the season had circled the drain and we finished 8-9 it would be taken by many as sacrosanct truth and further evidence for a firing.  

• Like (+1) 1

Entering the year the entire conversation around McDermott revolved around the playoffs. We had the Offside in KC, Shakir catch in SD, turnover fest vs NE, and a punt return TD against Miami. Sure we had plenty of plays go against us earlier in the year, but this is what has happened during our winning streak and as a result people want to assign McD credit to the extent that many have already determined this season was a success.

If we drop out in the divisional round in the weakest year the AFC has had since Josh has been around I can’t view this year as a success. This was never about the regular season. McD has never had regular season issues. He has had postseason issues. That is where we need to see things change and some of you don’t and that’s fine, it’s just crazy to me how cocky the fan base has gotten with McD being the “right guy” when we haven’t even played a playoff game this year. We say in one hand Allen is among the top 3 and many take offense if you don’t give him the #1 nod but we can’t win an AFC championship. 

I hope it changes but I can’t make sense out of why people think it already has.

He went for it on 4th down four times, twice on the final drive and even on his own 37 yard line. That's a version of McD we've never seen before. That article definitely got into his head, maybe it finally convinced him to trust Josh more in big situations.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Dunne used to be a respected writer but apparently soiled himself to drive clicks.

I don’t think he got the clicks he was expecting cause he put out another article pertaining to some people didn’t read this and didn’t read that…. I think he’s a blow hard and a trouble maker… 

Can you chicken-heads stop taking victory laps before you reach the starting gate?

As @Mikie2times says they could get upset in the next 2 weeks and the narrative would revert..........just as their 2021 win streak to end the season and "perfect" playoff game against the nemesis Patriots gave way to "13 seconds" and outrage at McDermott a week later.

Anyone who didn't recognize that a negative story about McDermott would likely rally the team together for a while doesn't understand the team dynamic.

But that focus and execution dissipated after a few weeks.........and it's been a mistake-laden struggle offensively for the past few weeks.   We could use another "McD hit piece" going into the playoffs.

McD is a good NFL head coach.   Is he a great one?  Not so far.   But worse coaches have reached and won SB's.   So the "we'll never win a SB with this guy" crowd is just blowing hard.

And NO he doesn't "need" to win a SB soon to define his career(Andy Reid went 20 years before he won his first one).    

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think that there’s something to be said about the bills, circIng the wagons because of the defamatory art article on their head coach

I'd agree if they were loading their muskets to shoot the vermin.

4 hours ago, Process said:

Who?

You should try reading some time!  There's a big world out there...and lots of readers who know who Ty Dunne are in it.

ANYWAY, no to the OP, NOTHING the Bills have done has a damned thing to do with that article, for Christ's sake.

I love the notion that the Bills played out the last 6 games or so of the season a certain way because of an article "extra motivating" them to play.

Pick up your game man!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.