Bills at Dolphins post game thread

HappyDays

We have a TREMENDOUS head coach.  

4 straight AFCE wins.  AMAZING defense.  

He's a man of great character too.  I ride or die with McD!

Plus our McD whoops Miami's McD regularly.

Edited by Blackbeard
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't find Collinsworth unbearable.

He's opinioned.  Color guys are supposed to have opinions.  In any case, I don't care.  

His opinions on the Bills are sometimes negative and wrong.  Again, I don't care.  

Like all color guys, once in a while he makes an insightful or interesting point.  For that, I'm grateful.  I tune out the rest.  

But, yeah, he seemed more positive about the Bills and their fans than usual.  

He went through a stretch where he couldn't get off Patty and referred to him in every game he called.

I'm pretty sure he received some constructive criticism because he's notably different. 

• Like (+1) 1

What a game. What a win!! Kincaid is a beast! Josh is the best QB in the game. Credit to Dane Jackson for two hard hits at the LOS and one important pass breakup. The whole team played like champions. Dug deep and got the dub baby! Get healthy this week fast and let's GO BUFFALO!!!!!

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Everyone was taking about Cook's end zone drop for a TD ,  I thought a play that whet unnoticed was in the 4th quarter when Cook stops for about 2 secs trying to fake out defenders.  Cook was very fortunate he did not get lit up from behind causing a turnover ,  you just cannot stand there with so many defenders around.  That is more of move you may try in the open field with just one defender around.

He actually almost did fumble that ball anyways.  It was very lucky. I was scratching my head at that play.  I don't recall seeing a RB just stop and stand still like that before.  Dunno what he was thinking.

2 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Did anyone notice Tua's soul leave his body after the punt return for the TD and the Phins 3 and out on the drive after?  You could see it in his face, he was all smiles all game until that point and then the bad throws started happening. How does a Punt return for TD affect a QB that much?

Realization

1 hour ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 9

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

I know who he is. The defense won this game. He had a very tough first half. Most defenses crumble in a situation like this, against a high scoring offense. He gave Miami a few opportunities that the defense snuffed out. Glad we won, but it’s amazing how much he’s babied. Anyone else makes a mistake, he’s toast here(Cook as an example). Everyone knows our qb. Nationality called the “Josh experience “ for a reason. 
Great job defense!!! You bailed him out. Again. 

After watching the two picks and the missed deep ball to Diggs, I felt like Josh was having a really bad day and never quite shook that feeling till the 4th quarter.  But that angry 3rd down run made me reassess his game. 

Here's his stat line.

image.thumb.png.e4e4ae49d99805b954aa0c08e89e5ff3.png

He completed 79% of his passes for 359 yards.  (And the passing stats would look even better if Cook hadn't dropped that TD). 

He was also our leading rusher (15/67), outgaining Fournette and Cook combined.  Both of the backs averaged less than 3 yards a carry.  Josh was effectively both our passing attack and our running attack.  

Most importantly, Allen fought like a warrior. 

Some of the comments Fin message boards are interesting.  One Fins fan called Allen a "lion."   Another said he was a "f@cking baller."   There were many other remarks along those lines.  Yeah, the TOs sucked.  But let's appreciate that we have a lion, not a lamb.  

10 hours ago, WideNine said:

I think a lot of those not-so-good decisions with the ball get cleaned up if they can stop leaking so much pressure up the middle and Allen can get into a rhythm.

He and Diggs have just been off on the deep shots all year, but still glad they took that shot and it would have been sweet to get another play like that over on Ramsey.

Agree!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was always a McDermott is a good coach guy.  Was on the fence after 13 seconds.  I faltered after the Denver game and wanted him gone.  I dunno if he gets us over the hump but he has won me back over anyways.  This dude is a good coach.  He has this team ready and has them ballin.  I have never seen this D be so physical as it has been over the last 6 weeks.  He has this team ready, prepared, and even the bench warmers are prepared and ready to play.  Sorry I faltered McD.  You are a great coach.  Get us over the hump!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm sitting at my desk, I have to finish the B-Roll on a 6 minute interview and I can not focus.  I am listening to WGR and reading everything I can.  

There should be 4 day work weeks during the nfl season!  no mondays!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Re-watching the game this morning, who didn't think Harty you idiot when he caught the ball at the 4 instead of letting it go into end zone. When he got to the 20 I was like OH YEAH!!

Could have been a high risk plan to make something happen too

Well I did think the Dolphins punter may have out kicked his coverage the way they said he kicked a massive punt, so I wasn't really surprised he tried to return it, definitely not that though.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I'm sitting at my desk, I have to finish the B-Roll on a 6 minute interview and I can not focus.  I am listening to WGR and reading everything I can.  

There should be 4 day work weeks during the nfl season!  no mondays!!

i cant concentrate for beans.  and i am in the central time zone.  

what an incredible game, one of the best ever.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jethro_tull said:

i cant concentrate for beans.  and i am in the central time zone.  

what an incredible game, one of the best ever.  

same time zone.  Its pouring rain outside my window and I am just pointlessly staring at my monitor.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Well I did think the Dolphins punter may have out kicked his coverage the way they said he kicked a massive punt, so I wasn't really surprised he tried to return it, definitely not that though.

That is the reason he ran it out, because he knew he had some room there to go. 

This game, Bills left a lot of points out on the field, and had to rely on some huge plays you can't expect to happen very often. The punt return obviously, but also the tipped TD catch by Sherfield, that pass was terrible.  Bills created their own bad breaks, but also took advantage of the big breaks they did get.  And the fact that Tua really couldn't connect in that 2nd half.  Bills will have to play better overall to keep going.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Brandon Jones (miami safety) is going to be a free agent next year. 

I'd sign him.

He made some really good tackles at or behind the line last night.

Not sure if he can cover though?

If anyone can get him to do it McDermott can, not advocating just saying the guy develops DBs not named Elam extremely well and maybe Elam depending on how that injury effected him.

• Like (+1) 2

By the way, anyone catch the final kneel down? Allen grabbed the ball from the ref and handed it to Harty.  Class act that young man is.  He knew who turned the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For those who say the D won the game, I don't disagree.

But, if you're old enough, think back to how the Giants beat us in the Super Bowl.  They held our high-flying offense to 19 points mostly by controlling time of possession and not letting us have the ball.  We scored a point per minute of possession that game.  That's good production.  We just didn't possess the ball very much because our defense kept allowing their offense to convert on third down.  

Yesterday, the Fins only held the ball for 21 minutes.  While the turnovers certainly hurt us, our offense gained 26 first downs and 473 yards. 

Our offense contributed more than the 14 points they scored.  Their drives kept Miami's boy-genius-led, high-scoring offense off the field.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

they act petulant when it's not as pretty as they like.

You mean this board after a loss? - or after a win with low "style points" 😛 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

No one's talking about it because we won but why did the refs give Allen such a bad spot on the last 4th down QB sneak? I was livid. Not only that but McDermott didn't even throw the red flag. 

Glad the defense stepped up in the end but we shouldn't have needed it. The game should've already been over.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No one's talking about it because we won but why did the refs give Allen such a bad spot on the last 4th down QB sneak? I was livid. Not only that but McDermott didn't even throw the red flag. 

Glad the defense stepped up in the end but we shouldn't have needed it. The game should've already been over.

I can't quite remember, but wasn't that the first play inside the 2-minute warning?  Coaches can't challenge after that.  I agree it was a horrible spot, and I think it's exactly what the league wanted:  to create drama in the last two minutes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If anyone can get him to do it McDermott can, not advocating just saying the guy develops DBs not named Elam extremely well and maybe Elam depending on how that injury effected him.

Does he tho?

I've believed this as well, but the more seasons we go through, the less I'm believing it.

Poyer and Hyde came into the team as seasoned vets.

Tre White played how a 1st round pick should play.

That set the tone that "McD knows DBs"

But looking at the DBs they've drafted or signed as UDFAs since:

Levi Wallace, Jaquan Johnson, Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis, Siran Neal, Dane Jackson, Rachad Wildgoose, Nick McCloud, Kaiir Elam, Christian Benford.

Not sure who was really developed there, or did we just luck into Benford, and kinda into some decent backups with Jackson, Lewis, Neal?

edit: Just realized I left out Taron Johnson, which to be fair is definitely a big plus in McD's book. So there's ONE for him.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

For those who say the D won the game, I don't disagree.

But, if you're old enough, think back to how the Giants beat us in the Super Bowl.  They held our high-flying offense to 19 points mostly by controlling time of possession and not letting us have the ball.  We scored a point per minute of possession that game.  That's good production.  We just didn't possess the ball very much because our defense kept allowing their offense to convert on third down.  

Yesterday, the Fins only held the ball for 21 minutes.  While the turnovers certainly hurt us, our offense gained 26 first downs and 473 yards. 

Our offense contributed more than the 14 points they scored.  Their drives kept Miami's boy-genius-led, high-scoring offense off the field.  

Speaking of Bill Parcells he always had a rule/guideline that an offense should have 7 points for every 100 yards of offense.

I personally love the way this team is playing and I love that when they get the ball back with a lead now in that 5 minute situation they are 100% playing to physically beat you up and run it out and make the opponent use timeouts and they are not afraid to go back on defense in that situation.  I have been waiting for them to play like this for a while.  I love it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Does he tho?

I've believed this as well, but the more seasons we go through, the less I'm believing it.

Poyer and Hyde came into the team as seasoned vets.

Tre White played how a 1st round pick should play.

That set the tone that "McD knows DBs"

But looking at the DBs they've drafted or signed as UDFAs since:

Levi Wallace, Jaquan Johnson, Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis, Siran Neal, Dane Jackson, Rachad Wildgoose, Nick McCloud, Kaiir Elam, Christian Benford.

Not sure who was really developed there, or did we just luck into Benford, and kinda into some decent backups with Jackson, Lewis, Neal?

Levi Wallace doesn't get the contract he got without McD.

Benford and Jackson have both played well above their draft status. Wildgoose got pouched but played some meaningful NFL snaps. 

I think he's pretty good at maximizing CB play with scheme/development. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The announcers commented on it and said that it was after the whistles were already blowing or some such and they gave him the furthest spot he achieved before the whistles.  Which may have been true, but simply brings up the question of why the whistles were suffering from "premature ejeculation".

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

The announcers commented on it and said that it was after the whistles were already blowing or some such and they gave him the furthest spot he achieved before the whistles.  Which may have been true, but simply brings up the question of why the whistles were suffering from "premature ejeculation".

Even when they showed the replay it was like um it looks like he got right to the first down, and if he does that's all he needs. But not throwing the challenge flag was the right call, challenging a spot almost never works and who knows we might need that time out for our own shenanigans.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Levi Wallace doesn't get the contract he got without McD.

Benford and Jackson have both played well above their draft status. Wildgoose got pouched but played some meaningful NFL snaps. 

I think he's pretty good at maximizing CB play with scheme/development. 

Levi Wallace. Dane Jackson. Christian Benford.

Getting an 6th, 7th and USDA to be a #2CB/spot #1 could be lucky if it happens once. Three times? It has to be partially coaching/scheme

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Pass interference,defensive holding and ball spotting are all home field advantage decisions. I'm convinced the refs are influenced subconciously.

I've felt like there's been something off with this team for more than a season. I guess you could say it's felt like they've been playing "tight".

It may just be wishful thinking, but it felt like after winning yesterday.. they had something lifted off of them and the comments/body language felt a lot different after the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Levi Wallace. Dane Jackson. Christian Benford.

Getting an 6th, 7th and USDA to be a #2CB/spot #1 could be lucky if it happens once. Three times? It has to be partially coaching/scheme

At this point, I just ASSUME that the Bills are going to draft or sign a late round or UDFA corner every single year that's going to be a baller. There are always prospects who have good size, zone eyes, and the willingness to tackle, but who fall on draft day due to below average measurables. Beane's staff is incredible at finding them, and McDermott's staff is incredible at coaching them up.

Alex Austin looks to be another one, but unfortunately the Patriots stole him from us. No matter. We'll just find another this year.

• Agree 2

It ultimately doesn't matter because the Bills won, but I just want to say for the record...

The refs were absolutely awful last night. They seemed intent on screwing the Bills at every turn.

The Knox PI no-call that likely cost us 7. The targeting/helmet-to-helmet against Johnson that may also have cost us 7. The holding no-call on the Achange TD run. Some of the 4th quarter ball spots.

Just an all-around atrocious effort by the officials -- again -- in a season chock full of them.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

At this point, I just ASSUME that the Bills are going to draft or sign a late round or UDFA corner every single year that's going to be a baller. There are always prospects who have good size, zone eyes, and the willingness to tackle, but who fall on draft day due to below average measurables. Beane's staff is incredible at finding them, and McDermott's staff is incredible at coaching them up.

Alex Austin looks to be another one, but unfortunately the Patriots stole him from us. No matter. We'll just find another this year.

Right it feels like printing money at this point.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I still do think that the team scheme needs a #1 CB, to hold steady, but I think Douglas can be that for a few more years.

As you said, guys who don't have elite measurables, one on one burst (and get away with DPI) drop or don't get major contacts. I think we can fill up the back end for some time to come.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.