The Tua Dilemma...

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Dak is similar to Kirk Cousins, great stats but he doesn't take his team further. To me that's not a guy you want to keep long term. Move on. 

You can say the same thing about every qb until they win one. Dak had a 101 rating last postseason. 

I do think the Cowboys are frauds and fold under pressure but they have been a consistent playoff team with him. Why should a fanbase just throw away going to the playoffs every year? 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You can say the same thing about every qb until they win one. Dak had a 101 rating last postseason. 

I do think the Cowboys are frauds and fold under pressure but they have been a consistent playoff team with him. Why should a fanbase just throw away going to the playoffs every year? 

You either have to bottom out or getting a better QB in most cases to advance, see the Chiefs pre Mahomes. 

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There's a thread simmering on Fins Heaven entitled "Do not resign Tua".   It seems about evenly split on the proposition (link below).

Tua is currently playing on the fourth year of his rookie contract at $9 million this year.  They exercised his 5th year option and next year he will be on the books for $23 million fully guaranteed (link below).  The question is what to do afterwards?

I don't think there's a good answer for the Dolphins, either overpay a QB who probably isn't good enough to get you to a Super Bowl, or head back to wandering in the QB desert hoping to get lucky.   

With the escalation in QB contracts the Dolphins will be looking at $50 million a year to keep Tua.  Look at the last several QB contracts yearly average (link below).  Where do you slot Tua in when it's his turn?

Burrow;  $55 million

Herbert; $52.5  million

Lamar;  $52 million

Hurts;  $51 million

Wilson;  $49 million

Murray;  $46.1 million

There's a quote in the thread which pretty closely mirrors my opinion on the situation with Tua; 

"We're in the Daniel Jones no-man's land where we're gonna have to sign him since there's no one else and we're not going to be able to do it on the cheap so we're gonna be investing a lot of money in one guy who we're not even really sure is the guy since he has yet to actually ball out in a big game"

https://finheaven.com/threads/do-not-resign-tua.381887/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tua-tagovailoa-47598/

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

Tua is leading the league in passing yards while being 8th in attempts.  On a per-game basis he was 12th last year.

Yes, they're going to re-sign him and he's going to get paid.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The thing is though, Miami is $50m OVER the Cap now and MANY Dolphins contracts are expiring after the season. Compound this with a near completely bare cupboard for Draft picks due to their ‘All In To Beat Buffalo’ mantra and the end of this desperate and hopeful choice will reap zero rewards if we win Sunday. We’re known to bash Beane for filling our roster with ‘good not great’ players and being patient with their development, but our scheme is effective in today’s NFL. The Dolphins will field a much less talented roster next year and beyond. Re-Signing ‘Turnaballova’ will just make them our beotch even longer. They chose to go All In and they’re gonna pay the Piper for it. Jets giving away the farm for their egomaniac, flighty and washed up QB has them in the same boat with no oars. If we can win Sunday night, we COULD see a Division dominance that rivals Brady’s NE* days.

I didnt say it was good for them.  I just said they don't have options.  Extending Tua will probably actually help them with their cap next season.  They are still going to lose players and not be as good though.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

You either have to bottom out or getting a better QB in most cases to advance, see the Chiefs pre Mahomes. 

Dak is millions better than any of the Chiefs qbs before Mahomes. He’s a top 10 qb. He has his flaws but just throwing that away is stupid. Could you imagine us thinking like that pre Allen? 

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There's a thread simmering on Fins Heaven entitled "Do not resign Tua".   It seems about evenly split on the proposition (link below).

Tua is currently playing on the fourth year of his rookie contract at $9 million this year.  They exercised his 5th year option and next year he will be on the books for $23 million fully guaranteed (link below).  The question is what to do afterwards?

I don't think there's a good answer for the Dolphins, either overpay a QB who probably isn't good enough to get you to a Super Bowl, or head back to wandering in the QB desert hoping to get lucky.   

With the escalation in QB contracts the Dolphins will be looking at $50 million a year to keep Tua.  Look at the last several QB contracts yearly average (link below).  Where do you slot Tua in when it's his turn?

Burrow;  $55 million

Herbert; $52.5  million

Lamar;  $52 million

Hurts;  $51 million

Wilson;  $49 million

Murray;  $46.1 million

There's a quote in the thread which pretty closely mirrors my opinion on the situation with Tua; 

"We're in the Daniel Jones no-man's land where we're gonna have to sign him since there's no one else and we're not going to be able to do it on the cheap so we're gonna be investing a lot of money in one guy who we're not even really sure is the guy since he has yet to actually ball out in a big game"

https://finheaven.com/threads/do-not-resign-tua.381887/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tua-tagovailoa-47598/

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

They’d be idiotic not to sign Tua. He’s the best QB they’ve had since Chad Pennington. If Derek Carr can get 100 mill then Tua definitely should. 

9 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Lots of needless Tua hate. He's a pretty good QB. And seems like a nice kid too. Hope he gets his.

No hate, Tua is good. They can win with him. It just seems like something is missing from his game. If he gets off script, he really struggles

Games against the Titans, Bills and Ravens show what happens if the D can disrupt him

PAY THE MAN!

The only dilemma should be whether Miami can fit all $250 million into one Brinks truck or if they'll need two.

It's not whether he deserves it. WE deserve it! Miami is a Pro Bowl roster because the QB plays for peanuts. Let's see them have to work with rookies and spare parts on offense like the other teams who have paid QBs. 

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

They have to pay him.  They don't really have options.

I get what you’re saying (you will marry the ugly bride because you see no beautiful women on your horizon), but football teams always have the option to not do something stupid.

The Giants had the option to not sign Daniel Jones. Browns had the option to not trade for Deshaun Watson. etc.

I would rather enter the unknown than be chained to an mediocre guy.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they pay him.

But I wouldn't.

He's nothing without elite playmakers.

If I were with Miami I'd let him play out the 5th year option.   Draft his replacement in this draft.

He's meek,  he won't make any waves thru the process.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why should a fanbase just throw away going to the playoffs every year? 

Because the point of the league is not to make the playoffs. 

I know there are some who believe “just make the playoffs every year and hope you get hot”. And I get the reasoning. But Nate Peterman (just to make up an example), is never winning you a Super Bowl, no matter how many playoff chances you give him. Nor is Tyrod Taylor. etc etc etc.

So that logic doesn’t fly for me. 

This wouldn't be a dilemma if I was a Phins fan - I remember the drought, and how hard it is to find a good QB.

And Tua is a good QB.  They'll overpay a bit, but you sometimes have to at that position.  

I actually hate that Tua is the QB of the Dolphins. I hope they let him go. There may not be, IMO, a more likable opposing player. 

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's nothing without elite playmakers.

So, I guess you’ll be fine if the Bills don’t bring in WR’s this coming off-season, right?

On 1/3/2024 at 11:14 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I hope they sign Tua. The best thing for the Bills.  Josh will beat his ars all day long for the next decade.

Tua is a very good QB and I have stated this before.  However, he is not a great QB and his problem is HE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NEEDS THE SUPPORTING CAST.  

This is NOT a QB who can do it on his own.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beast said:

So, I guess you’ll be fine if the Bills don’t bring in WR’s this coming off-season, right?

Ok so you are saying Tua is as good as Patrick Mahomes?    Your ignorance is duly noted. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.