The Tua Dilemma...

They can push the decision down the road a year by letting him play out his 5th year option next year and then slapping the franchise tag on him the following year. I'd even use the same non exclusive tag that the Ravens put on Lamar. Pretty safe as I don't see anyone giving up 2 firsts and a huge contract for Tua and it lets him see what his value is around the league. 

While I don't think he's a "$50 million dollar QB" I do believe his worth is much higher to the Dolphins in that system than he would be to any other team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

What else are they going to do? Sign joe Flacco to throw bombs to Tyreek for one year? Who else is out there. Russel Wilson? Gardner minshew? Baker mayfield?

They are like the cowboys with Dak. They have no choice but to sign him long term. 

The Cowboys have Trey Lance on his rookie deal. I wouldn't be shocked if they move on from Dak tbh. 

They have no other choice. I look at two QB's: Hertz and Purdy.

Switch the two and there is little difference. Put them on any other team and there is no improvement.

The opposite is true for Lamar Jackson or Joe Burrough 

Both are very good but both are limited on their ceiling.

Jackson isn't a 2+ read QB. Burrough is not a 17 year QB. But both enhance their team. 

Ambiguously, you’re winning a game more than losing with Tua in that offense and with the way QB contracts are going he is going to make $40-50m p/a. 

Tua is like marmite I guess. 

10 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

If I was a Dolphin fan the concussions would scare the sheet out of me. That guaranteed money could be a killer. 

Not having some semblance of a QB should scare them more…

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

They have to pay him.  They don't really have options.

The thing is though, Miami is $50m OVER the Cap now and MANY Dolphins contracts are expiring after the season. Compound this with a near completely bare cupboard for Draft picks due to their ‘All In To Beat Buffalo’ mantra and the end of this desperate and hopeful choice will reap zero rewards if we win Sunday. We’re known to bash Beane for filling our roster with ‘good not great’ players and being patient with their development, but our scheme is effective in today’s NFL. The Dolphins will field a much less talented roster next year and beyond. Re-Signing ‘Turnaballova’ will just make them our beotch even longer. They chose to go All In and they’re gonna pay the Piper for it. Jets giving away the farm for their egomaniac, flighty and washed up QB has them in the same boat with no oars. If we can win Sunday night, we COULD see a Division dominance that rivals Brady’s NE* days.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Personally I like Tua.  He is a good dude and is better than most fans here give him credit for.  I also don’t see him as much of a threat!  But yes, he likely isn’t good enough to carry a team the way a $50 million a year guy needs to.

that’s where I think these QBs would be better off long term, accepting less money.  Mahomes is in every single ad.  Tom Brady is getting $375 million to Broadcast with NBC.  I doubt those deals happen without WINNING.

Mahomes obviously is lacking WR talent this year, just like Josh is.  If they took less salary, and got assurances from the team they’d bring in some playmakers, it would help the team win and help them look good — the same way hill and waddle make Tua look good.  They’d earn the money back in endorsements, TV deals, jersey sales, etc.

Anyway, Tua or a QB like him, would be smart to sign for 30-35 a year instead of 50.  Win more, get more endorsements, get more of a fan base, improve your brand, land the TV gig…. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

What else are they going to do? Sign joe Flacco to throw bombs to Tyreek for one year? Who else is out there. Russel Wilson? Gardner minshew? Baker mayfield?

They are like the cowboys with Dak. They have no choice but to sign him long term. 

Kirk Cousins would thrive with their weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There's a thread simmering on Fins Heaven entitled "Do not resign Tua".   It seems about evenly split on the proposition (link below).

Tua is currently playing on the fourth year of his rookie contract at $9 million this year.  They exercised his 5th year option and next year he will be on the books for $23 million fully guaranteed (link below).  The question is what to do afterwards?

I don't think there's a good answer for the Dolphins, either overpay a QB who probably isn't good enough to get you to a Super Bowl, or head back to wandering in the QB desert hoping to get lucky.   

With the escalation in QB contracts the Dolphins will be looking at $50 million a year to keep Tua.  Look at the last several QB contracts yearly average (link below).  Where do you slot Tua in when it's his turn?

Burrow;  $55 million

Herbert; $52.5  million

Lamar;  $52 million

Hurts;  $51 million

Wilson;  $49 million

Murray;  $46.1 million

There's a quote in the thread which pretty closely mirrors my opinion on the situation with Tua; 

"We're in the Daniel Jones no-man's land where we're gonna have to sign him since there's no one else and we're not going to be able to do it on the cheap so we're gonna be investing a lot of money in one guy who we're not even really sure is the guy since he has yet to actually ball out in a big game"

https://finheaven.com/threads/do-not-resign-tua.381887/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tua-tagovailoa-47598/

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

Pay Me GIF

I think they have to pay him. They are in the same boat as the Bills in terms of salary cap, but with even more long term vets likely on the chopping block. One of the easiest ways for them to make cap space is to sign him to a long term deal and kick the can down the road on the cap hit (like we do with Josh). And ultimately, what are their options? Do they wait for the unicorn of a better QB hitting free agency? Do they trade for a guy...like the Brown and Broncos (who were supposed to be stacked outside of QB and see how that has worked out)? With Tua they are good enough that they will need to pick outside of the top 10 for a while unless they start stockpiling picks like the Bills did and even then the draft is always a crap shoot.

I will call the Dolphins frauds like I call the Cowboys frauds, and there is a reason why the 'Boys have been spinning their wheels: they have a bit above average QB, but who demands to be paid as if he is a top 5. I predict the Dolphins will overpay on Tua and then run into a wall in a few years when they realize that it's hard to pay Tua AND Hill AND Waddle

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.