Can Khalil Shakir be WR2 next season?

On 1/1/2024 at 11:01 PM, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Diggs is barely a #1 anymore.  Ideally we draft someone to take over #1 from diggs. Diggs becomes the #2 later in the season and Shakir is the #3/slot guy.  

He played like a #1 today.  He could have had an easy TD if Josh had thrown that deep ball with a little more accuracy

• Agree 1

On 1/2/2024 at 12:32 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Gabe, Harty & Sherfield will 100% be gone. Two terrible pick ups and an uninspiring WR2 wannabe.  Next season might be Diggs last in Buffalo.  That leaves Shakir, Kincaid and whatever we have in Shorter?  I've said we desperately need to draft 2-3 wrs this April.  Starting with either Odunze or Coleman. I'm not a fan of spending big FA $ on Higgins or Evans. So we gotta find weapons in the draft. And stop wasting time, snaps and money on fails like Sherfield,  Harty & Hines. 

Agree on the ‘24 release but how would they move on from Diggs in ‘25 when they don’t even have a quality #2 or solid outside backup? 

Not disregarding your observation, but IMO that would require not just a top WR pick but also the signing of someone like Tee Higgins.The money for that would certainly come from a release of Morse and a trade of Knox.

I think Khalil will have a significant role in the offense next season.  I'm not sure that it will be as a starter.  If Davis is gone, which seems possible, I expect Buffalo will draft a WR in the first round or two.  I also think Shorter will get more of a look in training camp.  What the depth chart at WR will look like in September is anyone's guess. 

Shakir's 86.6% catch rate leads the NFL this year.

I could easily see him as an 800-900 yard guy next year with an outside shot at 1000 yards 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:33 PM, Governor said:

We need to draft a #1. Maybe we could get another year from Diggs as a #2.

We will definitely be drafting 2 WRS. Probably one in the 1st and one later. We can definitely get one more good year from Stef.  Gabe is gone so at the very least Shakir should be promoted as our WR3.  And eventually he could slide into that WR2 slot.  He's improved so much.

38 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Agree on the ‘24 release but how would they move on from Diggs in ‘25 when they don’t even have a quality #2 or solid outside backup? 

Not disregarding your observation, but IMO that would require not just a top WR pick but also the signing of someone like Tee Higgins.The money for that would certainly come from a release of Morse and a trade of Knox.

We draft 2 this April and 2 more April 2025. By that time we should have an idea who's good enough to become Josh's WR1.  Shakir and Kincaid can easily take the role of WR2a/ WR2b. Then we look at Shorter or the remaining 3 wr picks to round things out. One of those 4 picks will stand out.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Shakir profiled very similarly to Diggs coming out of college. I'm not saying he'll directly replace Stefon, but he's very talented and I expect him to contribute in a big way for years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:05 AM, ganesh said:

He played like a #1 today.  He could have had an easy TD if Josh had thrown that deep ball with a little more accuracy

I don’t think he’s an every down wr that lives on the boundary against elite corners and double teams

but I think if we draft a guy in the first it helps Shakir absolutely feast on mismatches down the depth chart 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.