DaQuan Jones is BACK - will play vs the Patriots

BillsFan619

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

After seeing Star Lotulelei in action, it quickly became clear he is tied for Brandon Beane’s biggest FA bust along with Trent Murphy - also signed in 2018.

Jones is the player that Beane thought he was signing in Star.

In fairness to Beane, no one wanted to play for the Buffalo Bills in 2017.

However by 2022, tons of players wanted to be on the same team as Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah, I'd say he'll be on a pitch count, maybe coming in on 1st/2nd down for run defense. Or 3rd and long to anchor the middle. But it will be great to see he and Joseph both stuffed in the middle. 

Legs should be in good shape, but with a pec injury, he probably lost some upper body mass. 

It’s a legs position anyway.  If he has full range of motion with the arms he is plenty strong even with time off to handle his spot.  It could actually be a major help for the team going into the playoffs.  To have Linval and him available to take on the Ravens in the AFC Championship will be big 😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah, I'd say he'll be on a pitch count, maybe coming in on 1st/2nd down for run defense. Or 3rd and long to anchor the middle. But it will be great to see he and Joseph both stuffed in the middle. 

Legs should be in good shape, but with a pec injury, he probably lost some upper body mass. 

Don’t forget about Ed Oliver in the middle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

After seeing Star Lotulelei in action, it quickly became clear he is tied forBrandon Beane’s biggest FA bust along with Trent Murphy - also signed in 2018.  Star’s calling card was that he was a space eater that could occasionally flash as a pass rusher but he didn’t do that in Buffalo.    But you know who did?  Daquan Jones!

Is Kelvin Benjamin Beanes?  Couldn’t remember, but if so, he’s got a bone to pick with you JohnNord!

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The thing is that when he was out the run defense did generally speaking suffer but the run defense at times when he played also did get gashed up the middle too. He was so up and down in terms of plugging the run defense.

It’s one thing if he is just was an elite run stuffer whose stats were fairly low. We have seen Joseph not have eye popping stats but the Bills have been a lot harder to run up the middle on since he signed. 

You can’t have very limited pass rush upside and be inconsistent in stuffing the run and be on a massive contract. I was so glad the team signed D Jones to replace him.

That’s why I never bought the “doesn’t show up on the stat sheet” line.  They were never great stopping the run when Stsr was active.  

Just now, Bockeye said:

Is Kelvin Benjamin Beanes?  Couldn’t remember, but if so, he’s got a bone to pick with you JohnNord!

Benjamin was a trade…he did not sign a free agent contract.  But even if you threw Benjamin in the mix, I’d still pick star.  There’s no doubt Benjamin was disappointment but unlike a Star or even a Murphy, his contract was short term and didn’t end up hurting the team for years

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It’s a legs position anyway.  If he has full range of motion with the arms he is plenty strong even with time off to handle his spot.  It could actually be a major help for the team going into the playoffs.  To have Linval and him available to take on the Ravens in the AFC Championship will be big 😉

40 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

In fairness to Beane, no one wanted to play for the Buffalo Bills in 2017.

However by 2022, tons of players wanted to be on the same team as Josh Allen.

This is incorrect.   I think you are confusing 2018 with 2008.  The Bills had a ***** ton of cap space and signing free agents wasn’t a problem.  They just signed a lot of bad deals.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This is incorrect.   I think you are confusing 2018 with 2008.  The Bills had a ***** ton of cap space and signing free agents wasn’t a problem.  They just signed a lot of bad deals.  

JohnNord - Your memory is damn amazing and instant!  Hats off!  I believe at this point I want to ask you about quantum theory. 

Dudes like you are why I love this board! 

Edited by Bockeye
  • Vomit 1

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

After seeing Star Lotulelei in action, it quickly became clear he is tied forBrandon Beane’s biggest FA bust along with Trent Murphy - also signed in 2018.  Star’s calling card was that he was a space eater that could occasionally flash as a pass rusher but he didn’t do that in Buffalo.    But you know who did?  Daquan Jones!

I think Beane has the same issue i do....

Me talking to buddy:   Hey....remember a couple years ago?.and this happened

buddy:   yeah dude only that was 12 year ago!  

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I'm not talking about having money. I'm talking about being an attractive destination to quality players.

Star, Vontae Davis, and Trent Murphy signed with a 9-7 team which backed into the playoffs. This is the best a team can get when they're not an attractive destination.

It was only after Josh showed he was an up and coming star that the Bills could attract a higher level of player such as Stefon Diggs, Von Miller, John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Mitch Morse. These players would have had little to no interest in playing for Buffalo were it not for Josh Allen.

JMO.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Simon said:

Love the guy and love his game.

But this is not some panacea to cure all ills.

He's going to be less powerful and it's likely that it will be harder for him to hold the POA, to push the pocket, to hold guys off and move down the line and he's going to be available less as well.

The only reason he's playing is because he's probably just hitting the point where he can now be equally effective as Poona Ford and that is where the expectations should lie, imo.

That should slowly improve as the weeks pass but for right now, I can't expect too much out of him.

I just hope people don't turn on him like they have with other injured players that didn't meet fan's ill-informed unrealistic expectations.

Some people reading this thread are saying "Wow, this is great, Go Bills"

Other people reading this thread are saying "I can predict the future and I'm an expert football commentator.  Not fair that Romo gets millions for what I could do much better for a lot less money."

Just saying.

20 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

My expectations are low based on what I'm seeing from Von :)

I know different players different injury different age.

Great news!

This is why the entire Jests org are making a laughingstock jackarse out of themselves! NFW, Rodgers at FORTY + returns more than a shadow of himself after that injury!

16 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Hyde concerns me

Hyde’s been fine when he’s on the field.  One area that’s dropped off has been his ability to find the ball.  He has 0 INT’s this season and I can’t remember him coming close this season.  At the same time, it seems like he’s done a good job preventing deep passes as usual.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm not talking about having money. I'm talking about being an attractive destination to quality players.

Star, Vontae Davis, and Trent Murphy signed with a 9-7 team which backed into the playoffs. This is the best a team can get when they're not an attractive destination.

It was only after Josh showed he was an up and coming star that the Bills could attract a higher level of player such as Stefon Diggs, Von Miller, John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Mitch Morse. These players would have had little to no interest in playing for Buffalo were it not for Josh Allen.

JMO.

Find me an example of one player who didn’t want to sign with the Bills in 2018?  Who was a player the Bills wanted to sign and were unable to because “no one wants to come to Buffalo.”    

The only example I can think of is John Brown and he signed with Baltimore largely because the offer was better - but perhaps Baltimore was a better destination.   Despite this, Brown was hardly the top FA of the WR class in 2018.  He’d fall in line with the type of players the Bills were looking at.    

In 2018 the Bills were working to clean up the salary cap which included a significant portion of dead cap space.  It’s not like Buffalo couldn’t get free agents.  Plus Beane stated multiple times that his philosophy was to sign multiple FA’s who were undervalued in the market rather than go after big names.   We would see this approach almost every offseason which a few notable exceptions (Morse, Miller etc)

Also I’m not so sure Josh’s mediocre rookie year would be a draw for free agents.  While we were impressed with Josh as a rookie, the majority of the NFL was not.  Plenty of media pointed to his 52% completion percentage and his ability to pass for more than 300 yards.  

The additions in 2019, didn’t come the Buffalo for Josh Allen…they came because Buffalo paid them.  And when you look at their profile, they are the type of undervalued players the Bills want.   Beasley especially got a pretty nice deal despite being in the wrong side of 30.  In fact, he was talking with New England and came to Buffalo for the money….not to play with Josh Allen.

Did the emergence of Josh Allen help make Buffalo a more attractive destination?  Yes but that didn’t happen until after 2020 when he proved he had arrived.  

So again, just as example of fans conflating the last and then trying to connect to dots to create a narrative which isn’t accurate.  

Edited by JohnNord

22 hours ago, Simon said:

Love the guy and love his game.

But this is not some panacea to cure all ills.

He's going to be less powerful and it's likely that it will be harder for him to hold the POA, to push the pocket, to hold guys off and move down the line and he's going to be available less as well.

The only reason he's playing is because he's probably just hitting the point where he can now be equally effective as Poona Ford and that is where the expectations should lie, imo.

That should slowly improve as the weeks pass but for right now, I can't expect too much out of him.

I just hope people don't turn on him like they have with other injured players that didn't meet fan's ill-informed unrealistic expectations.

He’s playing and has practiced effectively. The injury does not impact quick explosiveness like Vons. And his primary role is in run defense. I fully expect him to play well Sunday. This is very good news. My expectations are it’s going to help our ever improving DL with quality snaps. 

If he is feeling 100% physically, and is strong in the weight room, i don't see why he can't do well right now, or maybe need one game to break the rust. think of it like he has just gone to training camp. the patriots game is his one preseason game that vets get. and then onto the next where you expect guys to be very strong. On the one hand, he isn't going to have the reps of guys who have been playing all year. on the other hand, he is going to be WELL RESTED.  It's a blessing we can get him back for a game where we SHOULDN'T (emphasis on shouldn't) need too much from him, right before we start our really big push. 

GO BILLS!

4 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

If he is feeling 100% physically, and is strong in the weight room, i don't see why he can't do well right now, or maybe need one game to break the rust. think of it like he has just gone to training camp. the patriots game is his one preseason game that vets get. and then onto the next where you expect guys to be very strong. On the one hand, he isn't going to have the reps of guys who have been playing all year. on the other hand, he is going to be WELL RESTED.  It's a blessing we can get him back for a game where we SHOULDN'T (emphasis on shouldn't) need too much from him, right before we start our really big push. 

GO BILLS!

Yeah, this is the perfect game to weed Jones back in. I don’t expect a ton of reps, but enough to knock off some rust and get some conditioning. We will definitely need him for Miami and that strong running attack they have. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.