Gabe Davis- Do you want him back and for how much $

NewEra

Do you want to resign Gabe Davis- If so, how much should we pay him?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Gabe Davis back? If so, for how much $?

• No- I don’t want him back- I’m over him.
    • Yes- but as a WR3-5 and under 5M aav
    • Yes- He’s an average WR2- I’d pay him 5-9M aav
    • Yes- He’s a good WR2- I’d pay him 9m+ aav

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Really?? Even before this season I found that popular prognostication hard to believe, and now...

The Chiefs gave $10M AAV to MVS. I am certain that is Davis's ceiling. My guess is 3 years $30M but with an easy out after year 2. I'll guess the Ravens as his next team. A blocking WR fits their team.

I could see that contract. 3 years for $30m. But I think there would be some serious guaranteed money with it. He will get a better payday than we’re willing to give him imo. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Really?? Even before this season I found that popular prognostication hard to believe, and now...

The Chiefs gave $10M AAV to MVS. I am certain that is Davis's ceiling. My guess is 3 years $30M but with an easy out after year 2. I'll guess the Ravens as his next team. A blocking WR fits their team.

Two seasons ago. $10m AAV two years ago is more like $12-13m AAV now and that us where I think he will end up, especially in a relatively thin market. There is Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman (I suspect Indy end up keeping him), Calvin Ridley and Mike Evans then Gabe is probably the next best outside receiver on the market. I know it is a strong draft but as vets go he is likely the 4th or 5th best option. 

Someone will pay Gabe as a #2. It won't be the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Two seasons ago. $10m AAV two years ago is more like $12-13m AAV now and that us where I think he will end up, especially in a relatively thin market. There is Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman (I suspect Indy end up keeping him), Calvin Ridley and Mike Evans then Gabe is probably the next best outside receiver on the market. I know it is a strong draft but as vets go he is likely the 4th or 5th best option. 

I'm in agreement about pittman.

I think evans stays in tb too.  He already has his ring and can be a career guy there.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, balln said:

I voted 2. But I’m changing to letting him walk. He’ll be more valuable as a comp pick. Nothing wrong with it. He had immediate production as a rookie. Had an epic performance in playoffs. Good production for a 4th rd pick. He’s nothing special. And he’s only going downhill athletically at this point 

this is the answer, yes.   Give me the comp pick and the cap relief.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-dallas-cowboys-wideout-speed-stefon-diggs-gabe-davis/article_2be15e86-99fc-11ee-94f0-db85ca288055.html

Mark Gaughan today (note the parenthetical final comment): “Davis has 39 catches, which is tied for 50th among wideouts. He has 595 yards, which is 39th. He’s a middle-of-the-pack No. 2 wideout. He was a good draft pick. He’s not someone who should get a second contract and a big pay raise from general manager Brandon Beane when his contract runs out after this season. (It’s not happening.)”

• Like (+1) 1

For all of my grousing about David and being ready to move on, if the Bills got him back in a 3 year, ~$5M per year with few guarantees and high incentives I would take a nibble AND the Bills do not see a better #2 WR replacement on the market. No need to create a hole.

But the Bills badly need an upgrade at WR 2 and Gabe isn't it. Given the NFL GMs tendencies to throw stupid money at WR2 contracts I suspect someone will get desperate.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Let him walk and get the comp pick

Beane needs to adjust his roster building. Can't sign all these average guys to big deals. Good to see him let Edmunds and Singletary walk.

Now do the same with Davis. I've been a big supporter of him but they need to get better opposite Diggs. WR in first round is a must.

Any idea what his comp pick would be?  I can't ever seem to figure out how that's calculated.  The google says it's based off of contract, playing, time, and postseason honors.  If it's based off just the 13 seconds game, we should get a bunch of first round picks! 😜

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, I'm thinking someone gives him 15 mil per based upon his size, speed, and flashes with the Bills.  I don't think I'd want him back for even 5m per.  He's never going to be our number one and I'd rather draft someone with that potential.  Maybe I can't forgive him for Philly, but it's moreso that he's don't nothing to stand out to me besides a few games here and there, and even then it's decent at best

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 947 said:

I have a feeling his FA experience will be similar to Poyer's & he'll come back cheap. Teams will see that he had 3 games with 0 catches & 2 games with only 1 catch, and won't be offering $8M+.

But other teams aren't always smart with the contracts they offer. The Gabe Davis name may still have enough cache from the 13-second game that teams may not see that he's no more than a blocking receiver. Let's hope so, because I would say he's a net liability on this team, his blocking and locker-room presence outweighed by his unreliability as a pass catcher. 

Davis has a catch rate of 56.5% Shakir has an NFL-best catch rate of 83.9%. How many drives this season would have resulted in scores if Shakir had replaced Davis? How many more drives will Davis kill this season? 

People remember his handful of clutch plays, but they don't see that he's often just taking up space on the field, keeping a potentially more effective weapon on the bench. He's been doing this his whole career with the Bills, save for that small number of plays, which are due as much or more to Allen's perfect passes.

Since he became a starter, he's held back the Bills. Time to say goodbye. 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

The current Gabe thread has me wondering what everyone else thinks.  So, what do you guys think?  

@Mr. WEO I’m interested in your thoughts.  You’re very animated in the other thread but I can’t tell where you really stand.  Go on record. If there is another voting option that would better suit your feelings, say the word and I’ll add it.  

I went with option 2-  I genuinely like Gabe and I think he has very good value as a WR4 and is an ok 3rd WR option (I don’t want him in the slot).  I feel he is lacking in speed/athleticism, route running/ separation, rac and contested catches.  He’s capable but just too inconsistent due to all of the above.

I appreciate his work ethic and I think his parents did a wonderful job raising him to be a great humans. 

Cool---another Davis thread!

Not sure where I stand?  On record you say?  You have a solid few hours of re-reading to do...lol

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Let him walk

Davis. I've been a big supporter of him but they need to get better opposite Diggs. WR in first round is a must.

This is where exactly I'm at.  As this season has worn on, I'm one of the last off the Davis bandwagon

Now watch him have a HUGE game on Dallas LOL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.