Leonard Floyd - I appreciate you.

NewEra

I’m sure you guys do too.

apologies for making another appreciation thread, but I think it needs to be said.  1 year 9M.  He’s played like a 18-20M man this year Imo.  It’ll be such a dam shame if we don’t make it to the playoffs and lose this guys next year.  Such a waste of a prime time pass rusher on an incredible contract.  

I thought he would be our most impactful addition for the 2023 season (Kincaid included) and he’s been as advertised and slightly even better than I had anticipated.  He’s the kind of guy that can wreck super bowls.  Let’s pray that he gets an opportunity in the playoffs.  

I appreciate you Leonard Floyd.  Please resign with us and hopefully retire a Bill.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 9

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

apologies for making another appreciation thread, but I think it needs to be said.  1 year 9M.  He’s played like a 18-20M man this year Imo.  It’ll be such a dam shame if we don’t make it to the playoffs and lose this guys next year.  Such a waste of a prime time pass rusher on an incredible contract.  

I thought he would be our most impactful addition for the 2023 season (Kincaid included) and he’s been as advertised and slightly even better than I had anticipated.  He’s the kind of guy that can wreck super bowls.  Let’s pray that he gets an opportunity in the playoffs.  

I appreciate you Leonard Floyd.  Please resign with us and hopefully retire a Bill.  

Everything you said is 100% correct. Except there is like less than 1% chance he is re-signed after this year. Unless AJ demands waaaay too much money (possible) and they cannot re-sign him. They may get a shot at Floyd who will likely not earn as much because of his age. 

• Agree 1

Just now, mrags said:

Everything you said is 100% correct. Except there is like less than 1% chance he is re-signed after this year. Unless AJ demands waaaay too much money (possible) and they cannot re-sign him. They may get a shot at Floyd who will likely not earn as much because of his age. 

🤷🏻‍♂️ maybe.  Maybe not.  I think there’s a better than 1% chance, but I agree, it’s a lot more unlikely than likely 

I’ll add it’s likely the completely wrong move to re-sign Floyd for any contract after this season. It’s exactly what they did with Von and look how that worked out. Re-sign the younger guy with some promise in AJ and let him be your starter opposite Groot with Miller spelling each of them 

Just now, NewEra said:

🤷🏻‍♂️ maybe.  Maybe not.  I think there’s a better than 1% chance, but I agree, it’s a lot more unlikely than likely 

Just added an additional point. IMO it’s a mistake to resign him vs AJ. Unless he’s super cheap. 

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Floyd is a NEED to bring back player. 

Definitely.

Except, because of the year he has had, other teams have taken notice, and his asking price has more likely gone up.

I'd love to keep him, but I won't be shocked if he goes elsewhere.

• Agree 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Definitely.

Except, because of the year he has had, other teams have taken notice, and his asking price has more likely gone up.

I'd love to keep him, but I won't be shocked if he goes elsewhere.

Yeah, I think he’ll get around 15M next year.  Or maybe close to 25M gtd.  Maybe more if we make a run and he shows out 

• Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah, I think he’ll get around 15M next year.  Or maybe close to 25M gtd.  Maybe more if we make a run and he shows out 

There has to be other teams in the league who are kicking themselves for not giving this player a chance.

It's amazing how long he was a free agent. Floyd will get paid next season.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate you more and more every day Leonard.  

I think he’s the best edge pass rusher we’ve had since Bruce.  Vons injury kept him from that last season. Mario was a force.  I love me some Jerrrryyy.  Schobel was solid.  But give me Leonard. He’s so violently explosive mixed with incredible length and IQ.   I’m gonna lose my ish if we can’t retain him.  

if you haven’t seen this yet (it’s long) they highlight a few plays where Floyd just dominates with his violent speed. 

Bring Buffalo a Lombardi Leonard!!!  I billieve in you!

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think he’s the best edge pass rusher we’ve had since Bruce.  Vons injury kept him from that last season. Mario was a force.  I love me some Jerrrryyy.  Schobel was solid.  But give me Leonard. He’s so violently explosive mixed with incredible length and IQ.   I’m gonna lose my ish if we can’t retain him.  

if you haven’t seen this yet (it’s long) they highlight a few plays where Floyd just dominates with his violent speed. 

I’ve been advocating for Floyd for years now. Since him being a Bear. Love him and think he’s been great. I do however think it might be a bad idea to resign him considering his age. Epenesa is probably a better bet considering his age and upside. 

I do think for sure that Floyd is better and will immediately be better. But in the longer term I think it’s better to sign AJ. 

• Agree 1

Good post, Floyd definitely deserves his flowers for what he’s done right out the gate. Definitely the reason we’ve had successes on defense and I’m with you on hoping he re-signs. 

The question is what are his playing motives right now? Seems to fit that he’s trying to compete for silverware. Something he has a chance in Buffalo. Believe he comes back on a 2 year deal for $10-12m p/a

Edited by BBFL

On 12/11/2023 at 4:37 PM, NewEra said:

Leonard Floyd, I appreciate you, too.

On 12/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, mrags said:

Unfortunately, mrags, you are correct.  

I don't even think we are going to be able to keep AJ. with our cap situation being as bad as it is.

So, we'll lose AJ and we'll lose Floyd, but due to the cap hit at least we get to keep Von...

:blink:  :(

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Leonard Floyd, I appreciate you, too.

Unfortunately, mrags, you are correct.  

I don't even think we are going to be able to keep AJ. with our cap situation being as bad as it is.

So, we'll lose AJ and we'll lose Floyd, but due to the cap hit at least we get to keep Von...

:blink:  :(

I think AJ may cost more money in FA than Floyd. Yes Floyd has him in sacks. But AJ does have a decent turnover and broken up plays to his resume. Not to mention he’s doing it all while not being a full time starter. Some team is going to look at him and think…. Wow, if we could land him just imagine what he could do full time. And that might be the only reason we keep Floyd imo. Especially if he wants to continue to play for a contender and change rings. He’s already been paid. He’s in the twilight of his career. Maybe he takes a little less to stay with someone like us. Who knows. 

But for the record. I appreciate you Leonard Floyd 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think AJ may cost more money in FA than Floyd. Yes Floyd has him in sacks. But AJ does have a decent turnover and broken up plays to his resume. Not to mention he’s doing it all while not being a full time starter. Some team is going to look at him and think…. Wow, if we could land him just imagine what he could do full time. And that might be the only reason we keep Floyd imo. Especially if he wants to continue to play for a contender and change rings. He’s already been paid. He’s in the twilight of his career. Maybe he takes a little less to stay with someone like us. Who knows. 

rags, I am with you, brother, and would love it and I want both back, but honestly I was surprised at how out of whack we are salary cap wise for next season.  Sure, they can do some things, but man...$42 million before we even start doing anything?!

That's more than cap yoga right there.

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

In looking at the cap situation next year, the fact we have some contracts coming off the books and/or moveable down the road and who we have under contract, I'd absolutely make Floyd and Jones priority re-signs .. perhaps with some void years that we eat and hope Beane keeps hitting on his drafts. 

We're rock solid on Offense with our OL, OL depth, QB1, RB1, WR1, Slot WR, TE1, TE2 etc..  We will definitely need 1 or 2 WR's early in the Draft to infuse that group with some young talent.  

On Defense, we're set at LB and I'd honestly say we're fine at CB, with Douglas, Benford and Elam.  Cut Tre and we might be able to take a swing at Floyd... it might take cutting Poyer too though.  

If there is one place I absolutely trust McDermott, it's at coaching up the secondary.   Draft some DL & WR early and then empty the clip on Day 3 secondary picks. 

That's my view on how we can keep the DL dominant and find the money for Floyd & Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

In his last 20 games (only 3 starts) Epenesa has 11 sacks, 22 pressures, 11 TFLs, 11 pass breakups, 3 forced fumbles and 2 INTs. I think you are absolutely right someone is going to look at that production for a rotational rusher and say "man if we make him a starter and get that production" and he will get paid beyond what I would consider a sensible market value. Would not shock me at all if his contract value ends up netting the Bills a 4th round comp in 2025. I also don't think he will live up to the contract he gets personally, because I think he is at his best as a situational rusher, but pass rushers are so valuable some team with some cap space will take a chance. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

rags, I am with you, brother, and would love it and I want both back, but honestly I was surprised at how out of whack we are salary cap wise for next season.  Sure, they can do some things, but man...$42 million before we even start doing anything?!

That's more than cap yoga right there.

Go Bills!

So I just read an article of how the Bills can create a ton of cap space. To the point of having $20m or so to play with. Not all the moves would be made. And honestly I wouldn’t want them all to be made. I’ll see if I can find it for you. But some real interesting bits bout how renegotiating Josh adds like $24m in cap space. Doing the same with Dawkins, Knox, Johnson, Milano and others to create even more. Like I said, I wouldn’t want them to do all of these moves. But some of them not only make sense, they would be smart moves. 

found it:

https://nfltraderumors.co/extreme-makeover-salary-cap-edition-buffalo-bills/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In his last 20 games (only 3 starts) Epenesa has 11 sacks, 22 pressures, 11 TFLs, 11 pass breakups, 3 forced fumbles and 2 INTs. I think you are absolutely right someone is going to look at that production for a rotational rusher and say "man if we make him a starter and get that production" and he will get paid beyond what I would consider a sensible market value. Would not shock me at all if his contract value ends up netting the Bills a 4th round comp in 2025. I also don't think he will live up to the contract he gets personally, because I think he is at his best as a situational rusher, but pass rushers are so valuable some team with some cap space will take a chance. 

Someone will absolutely take a chance on him. And he would be a fool not to cash in on his 2nd contract. After that he can do what he wants. But my guess is he’ll earn around the $60-75m mark for a 5 year contract. 

and yes, he likely won’t live up to it. May end up like Shaq Lawson and then back here to finish out his career as a situational pass rusher again. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, mrags said:

Someone will absolutely take a chance on him. And he would be a fool not to cash in on his 2nd contract. After that he can do what he wants. But my guess is he’ll earn around the $60-75m mark for a 5 year contract. 

Spotrac doesn't have a projection for AJE but it does have one for Michael Danna of the Chiefs who was that same 2020 Draft Class (a 5th rounder and one of my sleepers guys that draft season). He has 11.5 sacks in the last two years (AJE 13 in the last two years but 11 since middle of last season when the light went on). Danna was a rotational end last year but has been a starter this year. I think AJ is a better rusher, better athlete and better dropping in coverage but Danna is more of a base end who can play the run too. 

Spotrac projects him as 3 years, $50m, $16.7m AAV. I think that might be a tad high but not much. 4 years, $64m, $16m AAV is my projection for AJ. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Spotrac doesn't have a projection for AJE but it does have one for Michael Danna of the Chiefs who was that same 2020 Draft Class (a 5th rounder and one of my sleepers guys that draft season). He has 11.5 sacks in the last two years (AJE 13 in the last two years but 11 since middle of last season when the light went on). Danna was a rotational end last year but has been a starter this year. I think AJ is a better rusher, better athlete and better dropping in coverage but Danna is more of a base end who can play the run too. 

Spotrac projects him as 3 years, $50m, $16.7m AAV. I think that might be a tad high but not much. 4 years, $64m, $16m AAV is my projection for AJ. 

Yeah I figured AJ would get between $12-15m a year. I put him down for a 5 year contract but that might be pushing it. So maybe 4 years with an out at 3. It will all depend on the market at the time and what other pass rushers are available vs who were franchised or picked back up before FA starts by their teams. And what teams need pass rushers at the time and how desperate they may be. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

So I just read an article of how the Bills can create a ton of cap space. To the point of having $20m or so to play with. Not all the moves would be made. And honestly I wouldn’t want them all to be made. I’ll see if I can find it for you. But some real interesting bits bout how renegotiating Josh adds like $24m in cap space. Doing the same with Dawkins, Knox, Johnson, Milano and others to create even more. Like I said, I wouldn’t want them to do all of these moves. But some of them not only make sense, they would be smart moves. 

found it:

https://nfltraderumors.co/extreme-makeover-salary-cap-edition-buffalo-bills/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

and yes, he likely won’t live up to it. May end up like Shaq Lawson and then back here to finish out his career as a situational pass rusher again. 

You've been dishing out the goodies, rags.

I have yet to really disagree with you today.

Yeah, that sounds about right for AJ.  I thought earlier this year there is no way he gets offered less than $10 million per, with possibly more if he sustains.

The frustrating thing his he is just getting to where he should be now, and he may end up going to somebody.  Plus we also have to consider Rousseau on the horizon.

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You've been dishing out the goodies, rags.

I have yet to really disagree with you today.

Yeah, that sounds about right for AJ.  I thought earlier this year there is no way he gets offered less than $10 million per, with possibly more if he sustains.

The frustrating thing his he is just getting to where he should be now, and he may end up going to somebody.  Plus we also have to consider Rousseau on the horizon.

Rousseau is the key and imo the biggest reason you may see a Floyd deal over AJ. Because AJ will want a longer term deal and you may be able to “rent” Floyd for 2 years. Have him finish out his career on a contender. I believe he is better right now and likely will be. But for how long is the question. Give him a 2 year deal with a possible out after next year if he falls off a cliff. But either way, a 2 year deal would be good. We could then move some of Vons money over to Rousseau. Keep Von and Floyd for the next 2 years. Then move forward from there. Vets will get more benefit of the doubt than others. So I’d expect something like that to happen. And honestly I think I’m ok with it. At least this way we won’t be creating more holes that we can’t deal with. Replacing a guy like AJ with a vet like Shaq on a cheap deal is much more likely. 

Edited by mrags
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah I figured AJ would get between $12-15m a year. I put him down for a 5 year contract but that might be pushing it. So maybe 4 years with an out at 3. It will all depend on the market at the time and what other pass rushers are available vs who were franchised or picked back up before FA starts by their teams. And what teams need pass rushers at the time and how desperate they may be. 

I think he’ll get around that aav.  Years don’t mean much though.  The players only care about gtd money imo.

i think he should be happy if he gets  28-30M guaranteed

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I think he’ll get around that aav.  Years don’t mean much though.  The players only care about gtd money imo.

i think he should be happy if he gets  28-30M guaranteed

I think $30m guaranteed is likely. Should be about half to 3/4 if his total deal. If he lives up to the money he’ll likely get more by resigning/extending his deal near the end of it. If he doesn’t live up to it he gets booted a little early. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why doesn't the NFL allow the 5th year option on any player you draft? Someone may not hit on a first round pick but nail a 2nd or 3rd rounder that they would like to hang on to, I feel like they should be able to do so. This would allow us to keep Epenesa next year at a possible discount and would make it easier to possibly also retain Floyd

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why doesn't the NFL allow the 5th year option on any player you draft? Someone may not hit on a first round pick but nail a 2nd or 3rd rounder that they would like to hang on to, I feel like they should be able to do so. This would allow us to keep Epenesa next year at a possible discount and would make it easier to possibly also retain Floyd

I like the idea. Picking which player from each draft you want to use the 5th round option on. 

On 12/11/2023 at 4:37 PM, NewEra said:

Can’t be understated….this was a huuuuuge move by Buffalo.  I believe the thinking was that Floyd could hold down the fort under Miller was healthy.  Instead, he became Von Miller and Von Miller became….Trent Murphy?

On 12/11/2023 at 6:02 PM, mrags said:

I’ll add it’s likely the completely wrong move to re-sign Floyd for any contract after this season. It’s exactly what they did with Von and look how that worked out. Re-sign the younger guy with some promise in AJ and let him be your starter opposite Groot with Miller spelling each of them 

Just added an additional point. IMO it’s a mistake to resign him vs AJ. Unless he’s super cheap. 

Not so sure it's "completely" the wrong move to re-sign Floyd given how good he continues to look, but I do agree in principle that the more successful franchises cut bait a season or two too early rather than a season or two too late. Von is a prime example of the risk of paying out big money to an aging star, and now it's having a real impact on our salary cap. Would love Floyd back at the right price for a short contract, but I agree you take more chances with the younger player with potentially longer-term upside if you have to chose one vs. the other.

On 12/11/2023 at 1:37 PM, NewEra said:

He’s been everything I thought he would be when we signed him and more. He’s the reason I said we might lead the league in sacks this year back in preseason.  I thought it was one of Beanes best signings in terms of talent vs value of his tenure and he has not disappointed.  He’s everything we hoped Von would be (and to be fair, Von was delivering pre-injury just at an absurdly higher price tag).

I would love to see him back on a 1 or 2 year deal next season too.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

This pick up was another one of Beane's great pick up's he has been a force & i hope with his help & experience they can bring a trophy to Buffalo !! 

Yeah, this was a great pickup. Beane is underrated. Rasul Douglas was another great pickup. And Beane's draft picks are starting to pan out: Cook and Kincaid come to mind, but others as well.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Can’t be understated….this was a huuuuuge move by Buffalo.  I believe the thinking was that Floyd could hold down the fort under Miller was healthy.  Instead, he became Von Miller and Von Miller became….Trent Murphy?

I think von will bring it when we need him most 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

You mean except when it comes to knowing when to get off the field for a FG at the end of a game? 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think people will also see if he is making plays at critical times to force a stop or a turnover.  

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think von will bring it when we need him most 

Let’s hope so. He looked the best he’s looked all year in the Dallas game. Let’s hope he builds on that 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

That has nothing to do with my feelings about him.  Thanks though

Not only that. As if he had anything to do with like 38 people on the sideline that should have been counting on that play 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.