We're Going To The Playoffs. (edit: Updated - Super Bowl)

Doc Brown

19 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Our playoff losses were all demoralizing too.  

We didn't "bounce back" from those.

Time for a new coach!

Your argument against us not bouncing back from the most demoralizing regular season losses in the McDermott era is pointing out that we didn't bounce back from playoff losses?  In the regular season you play the next week (or the following one if on the bye).  Not the case in the postseason.  How do you define "bouncing back" from playoff losses?

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Your argument against us not bouncing back from the most demoralizing regular season losses in the McDermott era is pointing out that we didn't bounce back from playoff losses?  In the regular season you play the next week (or the following one if on the bye).  Not the case in the postseason.  How do you define "bouncing back" from playoff losses?

Well, sticking with the context of your original post that I quoted, the implication was that playoff performance mattered more than the regular season.

Or another way of putting it, bouncing back should include the entire season, bout merely the regular season.  It's understood that some fans are content with good regular season performance, but the season isn't over then, the players know this as well.  They play for the postseason.  

You've now insisted, literally, that we're going to finish 5-0 and make the playoffs.  

If you want to get technical, no, there isn't any history of us coming back to go 5-0 against the likes of the opponents that we'll be facing, or at all for that matter, to emerge from what is essentially the 10th "seed" to make the playoffs.  

Insisting that there is is not accurate.  

As to our playoffs, they keep getting worse under McD, particularly on the defensive side.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

By doing better the year after. We’ve been in decline for 3 years now. Do you think we’re getting better? 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

23 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

But the offense essentially won the game twice right?  How many times late does the defense need to make mistakes before it ultimately falls on them?

and again if Davis doesn't go to the corner they win.  

hasn't buffalo won the last two regular season matchups?

Yep, the Bills have won the last two regular season match ups.  

On 11/27/2023 at 2:10 AM, Doc Brown said:

Mark it down right now.  This team is going to the playoffs.  We're going to run the table and finish 11-6.  Too much adversity has hit this team over the last four years for it not to happen.  The negativity they'll hear the next two weeks will spring this team like it did in 2021 in a very similar game in Tampa.  It's always darkest before the dawn.

Going to the playoffs when they let 7 teams in on a 17 game schedule doesn't mean very much. It's the modern equivalent of a 1000 yard receiver or rusher.

I don't deny that we could get in as a 7th seed, bu there's a zero percent chance this team runs the table. They don't have the mental fortitude, discipline or coaching for it. We lose 2/5 and possibly 3/5. Maybe 9-8 still gets you in at #7. That's my best case scenario.

On 11/27/2023 at 3:10 AM, Doc Brown said:

Mark it down right now.  This team is going to the playoffs.  We're going to run the table and finish 11-6.  Too much adversity has hit this team over the last four years for it not to happen.  The negativity they'll hear the next two weeks will spring this team like it did in 2021 in a very similar game in Tampa.  It's always darkest before the dawn.

Funny part is that this year the adversity is self inflicted 

On 11/27/2023 at 3:33 AM, Zerovoltz said:

11 wins would do it...but 10 probably won't because of all the bad tiebreakers the Bills don't hold.  That Denver loss was BRUTAL...all the way around.  

If the one loss is to the Cowboys, they'll be 8-5 in the conference and 4-2 in the division (not that the division record matters for the WC). The Bills would have 2 non-conference losses. The Colts and Houston both have two non-conference losses already. Denver has only one. For tiebreaker situations, it's better to have more non-conference losses than the team you're matched up against in a tiebreaker. Pittsburgh has one but has a very easy schedule the rest of the way. Unless they fall apart (and they aren't that good), I see them getting to 11-6 despite being a fraud. That's one probable playoff team. Cleveland has one non-conference loss and I see them losing 3 more games because they have no QB.  The Bengals are technically in the running too, but they don't have a QB. So if the Bills make it to 10-7, I don't see the situation as insurmountable. And they all play each other: Houston faces, Denver, Indy, and the Browns going forward. 

Having said all of this, I'm getting serious Rex Ryan-era-in-November vibes just from typing this. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Bills will get a top 15 pick in the 2024 NFL draft…👍

I agree. We lose to KC and the season is over. The team will check out and McD will be done at season's end.  Maybe keeping Dorsey was a blessing in disguise as it will expedite the firing of a coach that should've been gone after 13s.

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Going to the playoffs when they let 7 teams in on a 17 game schedule doesn't mean very much. It's the modern equivalent of a 1000 yard receiver or rusher.

I don't deny that we could get in as a 7th seed, bu there's a zero percent chance this team runs the table. They don't have the mental fortitude, discipline or coaching for it. We lose 2/5 and possibly 3/5. Maybe 9-8 still gets you in at #7. That's my best case scenario.

Zero percent?

Did you watch Josh Allen play these last 2 weeks?  Anything is possible when he's playing like that.

On 11/27/2023 at 3:33 AM, Zerovoltz said:

11 wins would do it...but 10 probably won't because of all the bad tiebreakers the Bills don't hold.  That Denver loss was BRUTAL...all the way around.  

As of today 10 wins is like 50/50 if the loss is against an AFC team and 70/30 of the loss is against the cowboys.

On 11/27/2023 at 4:00 AM, Doc Brown said:

Not with that attitude.  The Bills have had many demoralizing regular season losses under McDermott (Hail Murray, Wind Game, Sun Game, Minnesota home game last year, Tampa game in OT, Titans MNF slip, etc.).  They came back EVERY time.

Part of me wants a run the tables but part of me wants a 6-11 season since McD is the worst clock and game manager around. Plus we are seeing his prevent defense is same we had under Fraser.

I don't know if we are or aren't.  We're as good as any other team - but we also find remarkable ways to lose at times.

But it makes no sense for me as a fan to not believe there is at least a good possibility right now, despite all that has happened.  I think the board was unanimous that we needed to take 2 of the current set of 3 games - Philly, KC & Dallas.  If we can beat KC, I'd feel at least okay about Dallas at home.

They can do it.  I just don't know if they will.  But I'm not thinking about the draft just yet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Zero percent?

Did you watch Josh Allen play these last 2 weeks?  Anything is possible when he's playing like that.

I sure did. I watched him continue to make the same mistakes he's been making his entire career. I'm assuming other coaches saw it too. If the Jets had a top QB, we lose that game too.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Negan said:

It's going to be sad watching wildcard weekend without the Bills this year... Should woulda coulda...

yep. you can't ***** up as many times as the Bills have and expect to make the playoffs. they made their bed and they'll be laying in it during the playoffs. Really ***** dissapointing especially when you consider to current crop of qbs that are in a playoff spot while Josh is on the sidelines.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I sure did. I watched him continue to make the same mistakes he's been making his entire career. I'm assuming other coaches saw it too. If the Jets had a top QB, we lose that game too.

He made basically 1 big mistake in the span of 2 games and 146 plays with that interception he threw to Bradbury.  That's it.

Other than that play, he was spectacular.  Are you trolling us?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 1:10 AM, Doc Brown said:

Do you watch Bills games?

41 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Huh?

The Jets game wasn't close.  Allen carried the team against Philly.

Other than that, great post.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 11/27/2023 at 12:10 AM, Doc Brown said:

I also believe we will run the table and reach at least the AFCCG.  Mark me down with you on this.  We are about to see Allen and this offense carry us at a new level down the stretch.  Had the Brady switch happened sooner I believe we would have had a shot at #1 seed.  But it didn't, however its happened now and I do think this team runs the table over the final 5 games.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 7:16 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Adding this thread to my 'why we're actually living in the matrix' theory. 🤔

I just went up to my attic and found the box of books with Simulacra and Simulation, which I hadn't touched since 2003. 

Incidentally, the Bills retrospective book called Relentless was in the same box. 

• Haha (+1) 1

• Doc Brown changed the title to We're Going To The Playoffs. (edit: Updated - Super Bowl)
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.