Buffalo / Philly Postgame thread

Simon

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

It’s not over until I say it’s over!

As opposed to that 5 game stretch of blown games, they showed today that they could go toe to toe with one of the elite teams in the league on the road.

I will kindly eat crow if I’m wrong, but I still predict, as I did last week, that they will come out of the bye and win their last 5 games.  Miami will lose to Baltimore and Dallas and when the Bills beat the Dolphins in the last game, they will again win the AFC East.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome. What transpired yesterday is a carbon copy in close games of McDermott’s tenure here.  Yes it’s true, you may be insane. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Dan said:

Agreed.  I think because it epitomized so many of this team’s failures and us fans’ torment.  

1. The league clearly hates Buffalo or at least doesn’t care to call games fairly. There’s zero doubt the refs were biased against Buffalo in this game.  I don’t have to point out all the bad calls and missed calls.  The whole football viewing world saw it.  But why are they so biased against us?   

One theory I have is it’s Bills Mafia’s fault.  The league knows we’re loyal and will follow the team through thick and thin.  So they have zero incentive to see the Bills win, and can blatantly referee the game to maximize betting profits and league narratives.  As a fan base we should really boycott the league until they fire this officiating crew. 

2. We all lived through the 13 second game. We all have seen what can be done with 13 seconds on the clock.  We had a chance, with 20 seconds… and kneeled down.   You can’t create legends and legendary endings when you  give up.  McD gave up and we were robbed at the chance to have our legendary moment. 

3. A 59 yard FG in the driving rain.  It reminded me of the Dallas MNF game years ago when they beat us on an improbable last second, long ass FG.   Why do other kickers always make those kicks against us, but our guy can’t even make relatively routine ones?  

4.  When we need it most, we have no playmakers other than Josh.  We watch amazing highlight reel plays against us every week and watch our team lack that same ability.   

We had a great play call after several runs, perfectly setting it up.  Josh read the situation and makes a perfect pass.  Cook runs right by the defender and is free and clear as the ball hits his hands… and he drops it. 

Not once, but twice, WRs run the wrong route and Josh throws a great pass with perfect timing, placement and anticipation in the end zone.  And the ball hits the turf because the WRs turned the wrong way.

The list could go on, but does it need to?  The Bills lack focus.  They lack playmakers that win games.  Is it poor preparation or poor players?  I don’t know but it’s on display time and time again.  We watch other teams make the play to win the game, while our players..  drop the ball and we wonder why God hates us. 

5. I woke up this morning with an image of Josh - dirty, soaking wet, jersey ripped. He looked tired and battered in the pouring rain. But it’s the way this team loses that is making us all so tired.  We’ve seen it all. We’re battered, beaten, dirty and standing there - helpless - as the other team, coaches, fans get their legendary wins.  

I imagine he is tired.  I know I’m tired of seeing this same ending play out over and over again.  This is a hard loss to get over for a number of reasons.  Mostly because, once again, we were at the precipice of greatness just to have the league and our coach screw us out of that moment. 

well said. Sums up everything perfectly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Was it confirmed that Gabe should have broken in on that OT play?

I just heard miscommunication, but hard to tell if it was more on Josh or Gabe 

not confirmed but from what I've read elsewhere plus Josh's reaction

• Like (+1) 2

Josh Allen has given them 4 times a lead at the end to watch Sean botch it with the defense 

jets, pats, broncos, eagles 

Sean cannot stop anyone when it matters…. We saw it with the chiefs when we had a Super Bowl roster 

he is not the guy, he just isn’t…. He did a great job building this up, but he has peaked and it’s not Super Bowl worthy 

we are wasting the best player we are gonna have for 50 years… just sad 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

not confirmed but from what I've read elsewhere plus Josh's reaction

Romos comment, FWIW, was that if the player is open he would go inside instead of out like Gabe did so the QB had a greater margin of error.  Gabes continued reaction that they kept showing would indicate that was true as well.  But it's subtle at best, probably no reason to blame anyone on that play.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Let’s not pretend like elite Allen has carried this team to 6 wins.  If the Allen from these last two games was here all year we wouldn’t be in this situation.  He has certainly been part of the problem this year, I don’t know if it was all Dorsey or what.

No shame in losing a tough one to the Eagles, the problem is that we put ourselves in a situation where we can’t afford any losses by losing to crap teams earlier.

This team is night and day different under Brady. McD can’t close out a close game. How many times do we need to see it, wash rinse repeat. 

McD tried hard not to F up he F’ed it up anyways.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Every Bills fan knew our "defensive guru" was going to blow it at the end; and he did, TWICE!

It's a pattern at this point. 13 seconds wasn't some anomaly it turns out, it was the first time a larger problem revealed  itself. Sean is a good person and an awful coach under pressure. You can feel the fear in his decisions. It's to the point that he is either stupid or just terrified. He calls random time outs on defense that generally result in 1st downs anyways. Josh gave us the lead twice. He couldn't get it done twice. Josh also gave us the lead in most of the games we lost this year, and the defense blew it. Once to one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. The patriots drove down on this defensive guru and scored.

He needs to go. The pattern is too clear. He is in over his head. Don't waste Josh Allen. 

9 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

McD tried so hard not to F up he F’ed it up anyways.

He ALWAYS does. He's just screaming internally every time. 

Edited by Billschinatown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

I'll always root for the Bills, but I've given up hope they will ever win the Super Bowl, at least in my lifetime. A lot of Lucy yanking the ball away from Charlie Brown in the Bills' history, and the more emotionally invested you get with the team the more they eventually disappoint you. One Conference Championship appearance since the last Super Bowl appearance (that's 30 years folks). Simply shocking that the University of Arizona football team has had a much more successful season this year than the Bills. Nostradamus couldn't have predicted that.

Nantz uttering the words "wide right" on Bass' miss was a bit of a gut punch as well.

I hear ya. I often say the same thing. Should we move on from McDermott? Sure. But then it will be the same thing. Another coach that doesn't get us there. It just is what it is. I will always watch because the Bills are my crack and I am the addict. But we aren't winning anything 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I'd put a lot of money on that being Gabe's fault.  If you're 1-on-1 with no safety help and you're the only deep man you should always break inside, so you don't have to contend with the sidelines. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Romos comment, FWIW, was that if the player is open he would go inside instead of out like Gabe did so the QB had a greater margin of error.  Gabes continued reaction that they kept showing would indicate that was true as well.  But it's subtle at best, probably no reason to blame anyone on that play.

Yep.. no need to take it to the corner. Easy pitch and catch. 

13 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

This team is night and day different under Brady. McD can’t close out a close game. How many times do we need to see it, wash rinse repeat. 

McD tried hard not to F up he F’ed it up anyways.

Back to back 30 point games and this one should probably have been 40. McD can’t shut the door when called upon. 

• Agree 1

Why does complimentary football equate to the offense deferring to the defense? Example you have an offense thats strength is scoring and scoring quickly, on the last drive in regulation it became obvious that the bills wanted to run clock but what if you just allow your offense to score quick if they can and thus save potential time for your teams strength for another potential drive 

why does the offense need to run the clock out? This has been something the bills have tried to do multiple times, sometimes hearing that the bills scored too quick. Like yes score quick and get the ball back

10 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'd put a lot of money on that being Gabe's fault.  If you're 1-on-1 with no safety help and you're the only deep man you should always break inside, so you don't have to contend with the sidelines. 

The comment I have heard from people who know more football than I do is this:

That was an option route, meaning that it comes down to split second decision making from the QB and WR. However, part of Gabe Davis' job in that role is to realize that the Eagles are in Cover 0. They are coming in an all out blitz. Once he beats his man, he has to know that no one is ahead of him to clean up. Even if he and Josh aren't on the same page the moment that the ball is loose, if Davis turns and looks when he beats his man (as he is supposed to) with the touch Josh put on that he has the time to work back and make a play.

You can argue the wisdom of trusting Davis in such a spot, but that is a big execution flaw when the coverage was so beat.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, how bad was Dorsey? The bills offense looks like a completely different team under Brady. What was Dorsey doing to absolutely kill this team? 

In the Cover 1 breakdown of last week they talked about how the 3rd option on plays would be coming back toward the play/the first 2 reads so back into Josh's field of vision which was different from how Dorsey would often have it drawn up. Which when you think about for a minute is ***** insane and seems like something that when you think about now should be kind of basic.

Edited by Warcodered

It did not end up directly costing us the game, but we cannot forget what happened with the refs.   Buffalo played undisciplined in the first half, but there is no way that the Eagles only got one penalty for five yards in the first half.   The inconsistency is bad enough, but ignoring the horse collar and calling Allen for grounding is egregious enough on it's own to warrant discipline.

A quick google search on Sean Hochuli shows a history of problems, he is even more corrupt and incompetent than his father was.    He is the poster example of the problems with officiating in the NFL.  We need to reach out to whoever we can find and complain about this.   The NFL needs a serious overhaul on their officiating in the off-season.   

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The comment I have heard from people who know more football than I do is this:

That was an option route, meaning that it comes down to split second decision making from the QB and WR. However, part of Gabe Davis' job in that role is to realize that the Eagles are in Cover 0. They are coming in an all out blitz. Once he beats his man, he has to know that no one is ahead of him to clean up. Even if he and Josh aren't on the same page the moment that the ball is loose, if Davis turns and looks when he beats his man (as he is supposed to) with the touch Josh put on that he has the time to work back and make a play.

You can argue the wisdom of trusting Davis in such a spot, but that is a big execution flaw when the coverage was so beat.

Sounds like we are on the same page.  I do think part of the problem is trusting Gabe with option routes at all, because he and Allen clearly haven't been on the same page all season. 

Team loss. I can see blaming coaches and players. Offense minus the Allen interception was as good as you could want. Defense had struggles at the end but without their turnovers in the 1st half we might not have gotten the points we got. Kicker had one blocked and one missed FG, easy to blame him for the loss. Refs, I just can't. The no horse collar/intentional grounding is just inexcusable on every level. 30 yard difference maker as it could be debated lead to the blocked FG. It's frustrating as a fan. I get why people want changes but too many questions what a new coaching staff could do to improve this team as there could be a major influx of change next year due to aging players, guys we can't afford to re-sign etc. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.