Buffalo / Philly Postgame thread

Simon

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Also, are there any scrap heap kickers out there?  Bass cannot be relied upon any longer, and that's a shame.  Maybe Reichard from Alabama in the draft?  He's been clutch.

Bass has a $7.5MM Cap hit in 2024.  Looks like we're stuck with him, given all the other dead cap we will be eating [e.g. Miller, White, ?Elam?]

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Bass has a $7.5MM Cap hit in 2024.  Looks like we're stuck with him, given all the other dead cap we will be eating [e.g. Miller, White, ?Elam?]

Yeah if they got rid of all the miserable failures on the roster right now not even sure we could field a full roster.  oh well!

6 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Just to punctuate the difference between Philly front office and ours: we could have had a 28 y/o Haason Reddick for... *checks notes* $5mil less AAV. 

He even was a Carolina Panther the year prior. How did McBeane miss out on this guy!! 

Miller was on a tear before he blew out his knee…an injury like that could happen to anyone at any time to be fair 

it’s not like he was bad since he signed here…the dude was so good the first half of last season 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Miller was on a tear before he blew out his knee…an injury like that could happen to anyone at any time to be fair 

it’s not like he was bad since he signed here…the dude was so good the first half of last season 

It's not about Miller being bad now after that injury - it's the opportunity cost of who we passed on. 

We could have signed Reddick for less and expected similar or even better production long term, due to both age and history. 

I like Von, he certainly looked the part before going down. But considering his age, locking him into that much money when there were other options was a huge mistake. I didn't like it compared to other options then, and obviously my opinion hasn't aged poorly. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

It's not about Miller being bad now after that injury - it's the opportunity cost of who we passed on. 

We could have signed Reddick for less and expected similar or even better production long term, due to both age and history. 

I like Von, he certainly looked the part before going down. But considering his age, locking him into that much money when there were other options was a huge mistake. I didn't like it compared to other options then, and obviously my opinion hasn't aged poorly. 

Von was a risky signing, it looked to be smart last year but at what point do we recognize that he's done?  That was embarrassing last night

• Like (+1) 1

That game was playoff if not Super Bowl quality. We went punch for punch with a great team amidst one of the worst officiated games I can remember.

One of the most extreme differences in potential post-game feeling I can remember.

We win? 7-5 into the bye week after mostly dominating a Super Bowl favorite on the road and in great shape to make the playoffs. We're a win in KC away from maybe being the Super Bowl favorite ourselves, Josh being the MVP. We looked every bit of it to me yesterday.

But we lost, so now we're almost surely out of the playoffs and having conversations about cleaning house, firing everyone, the window is closed.

It's a cruel sport.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, MWK said:

Sean McDermott is a joke. Wasting one of the best players in the NFL. 

Unreal to think you are blaming McD for the loss yesterday. Get your head out of your ass and realize that the loss came from the guys on the field dropping passes, running the wrong route, and missing kicks. Oh and no to mention the refs having it out for us

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

24 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Just to punctuate the difference between Philly front office and ours: we could have had a 28 y/o Haason Reddick for... *checks notes* $5mil less AAV. 

He even was a Carolina Panther the year prior. How did McBeane miss out on this guy!! 

I liked Reddick and he was on my FA radar list last year, but coming out of Carolina he was no where near what he is today. Beane would have been taking another flyer on a small time FA hoping for the best. Leonard Floyd was a much better FA prospect this year than Reddick was 2 years ago.

Plus, Reddick really wanted to be close to home in New Jersey. Mayyyybe we could have lured him to Buffalo since we're still north east, but we were up against that as well.

For what it's worth, Floyd currently has 9.5 sacks, right ahead of Reddick with 8.5.

The Eagles absolutely have the best FO and GM in the league, but ours isnt far behind.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

51 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

FB_IMG_1701099201579.jpg

The Bills need to develop a breakaway jersey for Diggs. The Refs routinely let him get mugged like this with no call.  But a jersey that just rips away once grabbed… 1. He could finish the route and make the catch. And 2. It would be blatantly obvious the DB had a handful of his jersey.  Only problem… they would need a dozen or more jerseys for him every game.   

Somehow that was not a penalty. But the Bills DB got called for touching a guy on the arm on 3rd down extending an eventual scoring drive.  Literally touching, in no way was his progress impeded or his jersey pulled.   But that was a drive extending penalty.   Diggs and Allen get there jerseys ripped off…  result penalty on Buffalo.  The refs rigged the game. 

The league office needs accountability. 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I liked Reddick and he was on my FA radar list last year, but coming out of Carolina he was no where near what he is today. Beane would have been taking another flyer on a small time FA hoping for the best. Leonard Floyd was a much better FA prospect this year than Reddick was 2 years ago.

Plus, Reddick really wanted to be close to home in New Jersey. Mayyyybe we could have lured him to Buffalo since we're still north east, but we were up against that as well.

The Eagles absolutely have the best FO and GM in the league, but ours isnt far behind.

I get where you're coming from. The Floyd signing was great, maybe one of Beane's top-3 pro personnel moves since he's been here. 

But Reddick had 12.5 sacks in Arizona in 2020 and 11 sacks with Carolina in 2021. 

For comparison, Von had no sacks in 2020 (due to injury, so if you want to go back he had 8 in 2019) and 9.5 between Den/LA in 2021. 

Don't see how Reddick would have been more of a Flyer than Von was that off-season. Considering age and recent injuries, Von was by far the bigger risk in my book. And remember: we're paying Von 5 million more per year than Reddick got. 

Edited by Yobogoya!
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I mean ‘huge mistake’ and ‘my opinion hasn’t aged poorly’ only really makes sense when you factor in his knee injury.  Von was an absolute game wrecker last season before going down.  I would’ve said you were very wrong up until the knee injury and who knows how he’s doing in the alternate reality where he’s got two good knees right now 😁

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean ‘huge mistake’ and ‘my opinion hasn’t aged poorly’ only really makes sense when you factor in his knee injury.  Von was an absolute game wrecker last season before going down.  I would’ve said you were very wrong up until the knee injury and who knows how he’s doing in the alternate reality where he’s got two good knees right now 😁

I'll say it again for you: a huge mistake when you factor in the opportunity cost of who else we passed on and how much we signed him for. 

Von was playing well last year, no doubt. Could we have also signed another player who would have played well? Would that player have cost as much or less? 

There's no crystal ball that would have told us Von's injury was a certainty, but for a 33 y/o edge rusher, you have to think about how much money you're tying up with him to gamble on his maintaining that high level of form for another 2-3 years. I just don't think that was the right contract for the right player at the right time, regardless of hindsight. 

Frankly, I would have rather traded for Von in 2021 when he was available. Worked out well for the Rams, while our pass rush floundered vs. KC when we needed it. 

43 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Maybe the Bills wanted Reddick but perhaps he did not want to play in BUF?

Obv McDermott needs to go, cook needs to stop making costly mistakes,  and the defense collapsed yet again,  but lost in all of this is Tyler Bass and the poor season he is slowly putting together and our punter:

Bass is 28th/32 in FG %
And
Our punter is 31st/32 in punt avg. and net avg.

Is the special teams coordinator the next scapegoat ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Obv McDermott needs to go, cook needs to stop making costly mistakes,  and the defense collapsed yet again,  but lost in all of this is Tyler Bass and the poor season he is slowly putting together and our punter:

Bass is 28th/32 in FG %
And
Our punter is 31st/32 in punt avg. and net avg.

Is the special teams coordinator the next scapegoat ?

This is a good point. With the bye week now, I could see the Bills bringing in a kicker if Bass isn't getting it done. He didn't yesterday.

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For what it's worth, Floyd currently has 9.5 sacks, right ahead of Reddick with 8.5.

The best front offices win super bowls and play in a lot of them.  

Howie roseman has made some excellent moves but I mean before he is declared the best shouldn't they win some championships?  You could make the case the Rams have been much better in the front office, GM and Head Coach than the eagles have been.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.