Cover 1 breakdown of the Joe Brady Offense

Scott7975

It’s like we have an OC that knows what he is doing, and knows why he is doing it, yes one game, but damn nice to see.

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s like we have an OC that knows what he is doing, and knows why he is doing it, yes one game, but damn nice to see.

GO BILLS!!!

Brady's been fired himself, and during the broadcast they mentioned that it taught him not to rely so much on the x's and o's and to understand his personnel better. 

I think Dorsey has the potential to put it all together. But we didn't have the luxury of waiting for him to figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 6

The offense was everything many of us have been yelling for it to be for a year now.  Motion with purpose, screen passes, creativity, using Josh's legs, under center, getting our RB's, Kincaid, and Shakir more involved in the pass game, etc.  

Dorsey - Just called plays, not an offense.   

Brady - Was everything that Dorsey wasn't (in this 1 game at least)

Its one game, but it was an incredible start to the Joe Brady interim trial.  Now, we need to see consistency, we need to see the offense over come adversity, we need to see the adjustments if things aren't working, etc.  But I am a LOT more optimistic about next week than I was before we saw this change.  

That was a Jets D that gave us trouble last year and this year, also gave a lot of other good QB's trouble.  We jsut went out and put the highest score up the Jets have given up all season, and that is factoring in us taking the foot off the gas for the whole 4th quarter.  Most points we scored since Week 4 too.  

We need to win at least one, preferably both, against Eagles and KC these next 2 weeks to keep our playoff hopes realistic.  If we lose both, it would be very difficult to make the playoffs without help from other teams.  Win both and we will start looking like the best team in the AFC again.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We will know better after the next few weeks if Brady will do any better. The route design/concepts looked mostly the same. Situational awareness was better. Better luck this week a well. Some close plays that went Bills way this week. My hope is they tweak the playbook slightly during the bye week. We have to do a better job at getting guys open. That may mean more "pick" routes or just better play design to spread the field. You can see it on tape that our route runners are going less than full speed on many routes as they are deciding what option to take on routes. So just need some quicker no read plays as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

We will know better after the next few weeks if Brady will do any better. The route design/concepts looked mostly the same. Situational awareness was better. Better luck this week a well. Some close plays that went Bills way this week. My hope is they tweak the playbook slightly during the bye week. We have to do a better job at getting guys open. That may mean more "pick" routes or just better play design to spread the field. You can see it on tape that our route runners are going less than full speed on many routes as they are deciding what option to take on routes. So just need some quicker no read plays as well. 

it’s hard to do anything substantial in a normal week yet alone short ones coming off MNF. 

that the situational awareness and game flow improvement is all you could hope for and it did. He’s not reworking the playbook with the team at Wednesday practice 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

The difference between Dorsey and Brady is like the difference between someone who cooks by following a recipe vs. someone who simply knows how to cook. 

Sure, the guy who reads the recipe step by step as he’s cooking can make an adequate dish…but he could also botch it because he’s busy reading step 3 while his unwatched pot is boiling over. Plus, his dish won’t be very original. And heaven forbid things get off schedule or go off script. 

A seasoned chef simply knows how to cook…knows how ingredients work together, when to adjust the heat, when to add a pinch of salt. And he can improvise and adapt…he can adjust on the fly or put a totally unique twist on the dish. He has command of his kitchen at all times. 

Dorsey wasn’t awful at cooking up an offense…it just felt like he was learning how to do the job on the fly. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WickedGame said:

The difference between Dorsey and Brady is like the difference between someone who cooks by following a recipe vs. someone who simply knows how to cook. 

Sure, the guy who reads the recipe step by step as he’s cooking can make an adequate dish…but he could also botch it because he’s busy reading step 3 while his unwatched pot is boiling over. Plus, his dish won’t be very original. And heaven forbid things get off schedule or go off script. 

A seasoned chef simply knows how to cook…knows how ingredients work together, when to adjust the heat, when to add a pinch of salt. And he can improvise and adapt…he can adjust on the fly or put a totally unique twist on the dish. He has command of his kitchen at all times. 

Dorsey wasn’t awful at cooking up an offense…it just felt like he was learning how to do the job on the fly. 

This post may be the most accurate and well worded breakdown I've seen. Very nice post.

So far what I appreciate from Brady is that he's had a stint at being OC before, there's a certain wisdom that you gain from climbing the mountain only to fall down and having to start over which Dorsey is only experiencing now. Failure is often life's greatest teacher.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Until I saw the last replay of Shakir's TD, I didn't realize that Kincaid took out three defenders with one block - and that block set Shakir free for the TD.

8 hours ago, bmur66 said:

That was a great block by the rookie

It was, and DK was at the Bills' 35-yard line when Shakir made the catch. Kincaid then ran all the way to the Jets' 20 - probably 40 to 45 yards, considering the angle - to make that block.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Pump the brakes. Dorsey looked like the league’s number one HC candidate after the Rams game last year

Indeed 

A lot went right for us otherwise too.  We're gloating over the number of points we put up vs. the Jets, but that was at least partially aided by the D setting us up for 10 of those nearly in the red zone.  Still good, just sayin'.  

@Philly will be a far more accurate test as to where we stand in terms of what our ultimate goals are.  

We still have McDimwit as our head coach.  It's unlikely that we don't see anymore questionable coaching from him.  Just like he couldn't see the blatant issues with Peterman, he stubbornly stood by Dorsey too.  Both times fans and media had to force his hand.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If our offense goes out and lights up at least 4 out of the next 6 opponents (Eagles, Chiefs, Cowboys, Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins) in wins and gets us to the playoffs , then I will say there's been a very good change worth keeping. One game against the Jets can be a fluke. Dorsey had his one off good games like the Dolphins game this year. So consistency is key.

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

They wasted a year and a half on him. He had no plan B against a lot of teams. Little or no run game, and very little under-center PA. He was turning Josh Allen into Sam Darnold. 

On the surface watching the Dorsey offense it just didn't seem to have any continuity. There was little processing of in game tendencies by the other team to set up other plays, formations or options. Each play seemed to exist in a vacuum of well "if the defense presents this, this play should beat that coverage" which to an extent is true, but it completely ignores tendencies and what the other team is trying to do. This is what I so far took away from watching Brady call the game, he seemed to understand that the Jets were prone to doing X if formation Y was presented, and taking that into considering when calling future plays.

10 hours ago, bmur66 said:

That was a great block by the rookie

It was, although for a second I was worried it was gonna get called back for a block in the back.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

They wasted a year and a half on him. He had no plan B against a lot of teams. Little or no run game, and very little under-center PA. He was turning Josh Allen into Sam Darnold. 

We used to have a DC with a no plan “B” problem as well…, 

Great breakdown. Love the Cover 1 vids.

Good to see Brady adjusting and catching the Jets D off guard. And the use of backs in the pass game (been hearing forever how good of a pass catcher Cook is and we may be beginning to witness that), and the use of the middle of the field. I see so many teams exploit the middle and the BIlls weren't doing it for some inexplicable reason. Now they are.

It's only one game, yes, but what a game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.