Outlook on McDermott if we turn it around

Mikie2times

On 11/20/2023 at 12:54 AM, JerseyBills said:

I'm in the minority clearly but I'm a huge McD fan. I'm in my 30s, was too young to enjoy Levy, barely able to enjoy Wade, basically grew up in the drought and McD ends that in year 1, I just don't see an improvement out there, his biggest mistake besides 13 seconds, which can be put on many players/coaches, was letting a 25 year old QB hand pick his oc. 

I'm glad he's here

This post is 100% on point. Be careful what you wish for…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes yes, he has that Super Bowl “DNA” which has been clearly expressed with two playoff wins in a decade. Just a born playoff and championship deliverer. 

the list of coaches who won 1 Super Bowl and never won again is A LOT higher than coaches who have won multiple.

I love this.

Sean Payton did it three years in a row with one of the greatest QB’s of all time.

Tomlin missed the playoffs 4 years with Big Ben. 

Pete Carrol missed the playoffs twice with Russell Wilson.

Josh Allen isn’t Tom Brady and McDermott isn’t Bill Belichick. 

Just checking, but you'd prefer 1 Super Bowl win to 0 right?

It's quite interesting you're gunning for Harbaugh so hard when he's probably going to get Coach of the Year and his team will probably get the #1 seed.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Sean Payton did it three years in a row with one of the greatest QB’s of all time.

Tomlin missed the playoffs 4 years with Big Ben. 

Pete Carrol missed the playoffs twice with Russell Wilson.

Josh Allen isn’t Tom Brady and McDermott isn’t Bill Belichick. 

Sean Payton missing the playoffs with Drew Brees was a massive failure. Tomlin missing the playoffs in 2018 was a massive failure. 

Some of those other years had just “good” QB performances. If you have a QB putting up a top-5 performance in the league for their position in a given year, you should make the playoffs or it is a coaching failure IMO. Maybe that was less true in the past, but with the way the rules are now I think it is true.

Allen is on pace for a top 5 finish at his position. Maybe top 1 depending on how you weigh TDs vs turnovers.

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Sean Payton missing the playoffs with Drew Brees was a massive failure. Tomlin missing the playoffs in 2018 was a massive failure. 

Some of those other years had just “good” QB performances. If you have a QB putting up a top-5 performance in the league for their position in a given year, you should make the playoffs or it is a coaching failure IMO. Maybe that was less true in the past, but with the way the rules are now I think it is true.

Allen is on pace for a top 5 finish at his position. Maybe top 1 depending on how you weigh TDs vs turnovers.

I'm not sure how you're slotting him ahead of Jackson, Tua, Stroud, Prescott, or Wilson based on this year. They are all performing significantly better. You also have Hurts, Mahomes and Goff right there too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Mr. Can’t Count down from 13 or up to 12 McClapper,has FUBARed this season, along with the clown he threw over the side. The Bills should be going into this buzz saw stretch of 4 games with… let me be charitable… 2 Losses! The stiffs and bums they lost to are embarrassing. 

But, that is the McD reality! Snatching away Championship runs with idiotic and incompetent decision making. I would be shocked if the Bills were 2-2 here and finishing at 9-8 is OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS! No,they are not going to beat the Fish at Miami in the Season finale.

Hit the road Clappy and don’t you come back no more!

EVER!

• Thank you (+1) 1

During the Bucs game, for the first time ever I felt like I was done with McDermott. I have always appreciated what he’s done to take us from a joke to a contender. That was the first game where I just couldn’t unsee the stupidity and all the good just slowly stopped mattering. Maybe he’s a guy that is good enough to fix it but not good enough to take us where we need to be. After the inexcusable bronco loss I was actually hoping the guy was fired and just knew the season was over.

Knowing where we are and what we have coming, if we somehow get into the playoffs…it would be the best coaching job McDermott has done so far. I think knowing how I felt after the bronco game and knowing what it would take to get in I’d be very happy with McDermott again and be willing to forgive the early season issues. Find a way to get in and I’m going to have a short memory on the rare slow start. If we don’t make the playoffs I won’t be surprised but I will be ready to move on. This team is too good and this league is too average right now to be sitting home.

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yes yes, he has that Super Bowl “DNA” which has been clearly expressed with two playoff wins in a decade. Just a born playoff and championship deliverer. 

the list of coaches who won 1 Super Bowl and never won again is A LOT higher than coaches who have won multiple.

With that being the case, doesn't it make more sense to fire a Super Bowl winning coach if he doesn't deliver another within a few seasons rather than hold onto him? Maybe the Eagles are onto something? Does it revitalize and refocus a team with new energy? Or is it just random luck? Obviously the sample size is small right now. And what is Sirianni's fate? Will he be fired in a couple seasons if they do not win a Super Bowl? Or fired a few seasons after having won a Super Bowl if they don't win another?

Is the goal to find the next Andy Reid (KC Reid not Philly Reid) or Bill Belicheck? I think those are the only two active coaches that even have multiple Super Bowl rings. And then hold onto them forever? Or should teams forever be content with the Tomlin's and Harbaugh's?

Yet here we are, and folks want to hold onto McDermott who has been here for 7 years now, six with Allen and has yet to even get to a Super Bowl. Based on actual history, an argument could be made that even if all the dominoes fell right and McDermott and the Bills won a Super Bowl in 2020, if the Bills don't get back to the Super Bowl this year he should be fired. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

During the Bucs game, for the first time ever I felt like I was done with McDermott. I have always appreciated what he’s done to take us from a joke to a contender. That was the first game where I just couldn’t unsee the stupidity and all the good just slowly stopped mattering. Maybe he’s a guy that is good enough to fix it but not good enough to take us where we need to be. After the inexcusable bronco loss I was actually hoping the guy was fired and just knew the season was over.

Knowing where we are and what we have coming, if we somehow get into the playoffs…it would be the best coaching job McDermott has done so far. I think knowing how I felt after the bronco game and knowing what it would take to get in I’d be very happy with McDermott again and be willing to forgive the early season issues. Find a way to get in and I’m going to have a short memory on the rare slow start. If we don’t make the playoffs I won’t be surprised but I will be ready to move on. This team is too good and this league is too average right now to be sitting home.

Well said. My exact feelings as well. It will be McDermott's greatest coaching job ever if he can get this current squad to the playoffs with the upcoming schedule the Bills have. Assuming a 4-2 finish or better is what is needed to get us there and not 3-3 because some other teams implode. 

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's quite interesting you're gunning for Harbaugh so hard when he's probably going to get Coach of the Year and his team will probably get the #1 seed.

Really? Over Campbell or Demeco Ryans? Can't see that. This year Harbaugh has significantly benefited from playing in the division that ended up having the absolute worst QB play by a mile besides his own healthy Lamar Jackson. 

Not sure if a coach who ever missed the playoffs has won, but if the Texans somehow don't get in I could still see Ryans winning it. That teams wasn't supposed to win more than 4 games. 

On 11/20/2023 at 12:51 AM, Einstein said:

If this happens then I think McD needs to answer some tough questions about why he didn’t make a change sooner.

That type of run against the gauntlet of teams upcoming would be a clear and direct indictment on Dorsey.

Ahh, the “never happy crew”. 

3 hours ago, Since1981 said:

McDah will be a hero or zero now based on Brady. We really have to give kudos for OC shift. One game. We’ll see. 

We also have to realize that he only fired Dorsey due to fan & media pressure.  He repeatedly stated his story for Dorsey.  

I'm not sure he gets kudos for having his hand forced, any more than he does in supporting Peterman over Allen.  

... yet another reason ...

On 11/20/2023 at 12:17 AM, Mikie2times said:

The better we perform in the short term, the more likely we will maintain the status quo in the long term. I don't see any way that isn't the case. It was already a long shot that we would part ways with McDermott after this year. It was going to take an implosion on the trajectory of what we had seen prior to Dorsey being canned. If they turn it around and threaten the playoffs it's not going to happen. 

Do some of you feel strongly enough about McDermott to actual want this thing to implode for the greater good? Do some of you feel if we can somehow get back on track to make the playoffs that it would alter your view on him as the coach next year? Curious what the outlook is on this. 

After the Broncos loss I was convinced that the season was over and McDermott had lost the team and a replacement was needed.

His decision to fire Dorsey surprised me. But it didn't change my mind.

But if this season turns around and replacing Dorsey with Brady is a big part of that, then McDermott deserves a hell of a lot of credit.

I'd much rather hope that I was wrong about McDermott and that he may be capable of being a Super Bowl winning head coach than hope I was right and root against my team so that it blows up and we get a new coaching staff. If they beat the Eagles on Sunday then the Super Bowl expectations are back and let's f'n go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the only Bills coach I ever actually rooted to lose was Dick Jauron. Mainly because I knew he was an absolute waste as a head coach. When he made it to his 4th year, I was just like "enough of this already". He got fired that season, thankfully. But that was the only time I was ever happy for a Bills coach to lose to get something done

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

30 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yet here we are, and folks want to hold onto McDermott who has been here for 7 years now, six with Allen and has yet to even get to a Super Bowl. Based on actual history, an argument could be made that even if all the dominoes fell right and McDermott and the Bills won a Super Bowl in 2020, if the Bills don't get back to the Super Bowl this year he should be fired. 

Well said. My exact feelings as well. It will be McDermott's greatest coaching job ever if he can get this current squad to the playoffs with the upcoming schedule the Bills have. Assuming a 4-2 finish or better is what is needed to get us there and not 3-3 because some other teams implode. 

If he can take us too the playoffs by us winning, and not with a bunch of other teams imploding, and get us at least to the AFC CG, and not lose that one due to some idiotic coaching blunder, or better yet, win the damn thing and advance is to the Super Bowl, again, playing without blundering it away, win or lose, then this becomes a whole new conversation.  If he can't get us past the Divisional round again for the second time in 7 seasons, if we even make it, them he's made his own bed.  

Until then ... 

Either way, not sure I see Pegula eating the crow that would be necessary to admit a McDimwit type blunder in extending him rather than waiting too see how the first half of this season played out. 

As always, it's not as if it comes down to a forum vote here, so we're all captive to Pegula.  

Otherwise, maybe we'll have further insight after Sunday's game.  Every game is a must-win now.  

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think the only Bills coach I ever actually rooted to lose was Dick Jauron. Mainly because I knew he was an absolute waste as a head coach. When he made it to his 4th year, I was just like "enough of this already". He got fired that season, thankfully. But that was the only time I was ever happy for a Bills coach to lose to get something done

The thought of having a mid-round pick is an appealing one.  

7 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Funny fact, Drew Brees threw 19, 17, 11 and 15 INTs when they missed the postseason those four years. He never threw double digit picks again and never missed the postseason again.

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Just checking, but you'd prefer 1 Super Bowl win to 0 right?

I would, and I am on record that I would rather have the Bills suck for 10 years and win once than make the playoffs 10 years straight and never win.

But, to me, a guy like Haurbaugh is just as good of a coach as McD. Maybe a little better or worse but in the same tier of coaching. Yes, he won 1 Super Bowl a decade ago when his QB had the most insane heroic postseason performance of all time. 

But, imo, McD has been just as good if not better since he’s been a coach in this league.

Put another way, if we fired McD and hired Harbaugh or Tomlin, to me that’s a complete lateral move. Despite their Super Bowl “DNA,” they didn’t win one with us and Harbaugh especially has never even come close repeating.

Also, Dan Campbell will win COTY.

Edited by FireChans
  • Disagree 1

53 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

With that being the case, doesn't it make more sense to fire a Super Bowl winning coach if he doesn't deliver another within a few seasons rather than hold onto him? Maybe the Eagles are onto something? Does it revitalize and refocus a team with new energy? Or is it just random luck? Obviously the sample size is small right now. And what is Sirianni's fate? Will he be fired in a couple seasons if they do not win a Super Bowl? Or fired a few seasons after having won a Super Bowl if they don't win another?

Is the goal to find the next Andy Reid (KC Reid not Philly Reid) or Bill Belicheck? I think those are the only two active coaches that even have multiple Super Bowl rings. And then hold onto them forever? Or should teams forever be content with the Tomlin's and Harbaugh's?

See I think the one thing that coaches like Tomlin or Harbaugh have proven, and the reason why I think they haven’t been fired yet, is because they have weathered storms and come out the other side.

Tomlin almost always pulls .500 seasons  out. Both rosters and teams have seen rises and falls, and they haven’t lost the lockerooms or failed to bring the team back.

McD hasn’t done that, yet.

He has taken a team with no business making the playoffs to the WC spot (probably his best coach job).

He has overseen a good team get to the second or third round, which is disappointing but not wildly below expectations.

He hasn’t taken a team that was on life support from a playoff perspective, rallied them, and went on to win a playoff game or two.

To me, this is the last hurdle for McD. I think if he pulls off a 6-1 record down the stretch here, he’s safe. And I’m okay with that tbh. And if we get killed in a couple of these games and the season spirals, I’m okay with firing him.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

After the Broncos loss I was convinced that the season was over and McDermott had lost the team and a replacement was needed.

His decision to fire Dorsey surprised me. But it didn't change my mind.

But if this season turns around and replacing Dorsey with Brady is a big part of that, then McDermott deserves a hell of a lot of credit.

I'd much rather hope that I was wrong about McDermott and that he may be capable of being a Super Bowl winning head coach than hope I was right and root against my team so that it blows up and we get a new coaching staff. If they beat the Eagles on Sunday then the Super Bowl expectations are back and let's f'n go.

Win or lose, this season is probably the last go-round for guys like Poyer, Hyde, maybe Tre, Von etc.

For Poyer and Hyde, guys who deserve massive credit for becoming stars in Buffalo, helping break the drought, etc, I would like to send them out with a bang. Beat the Eagles and we are hopping the train. 

I don’t want those dudes last season in Buffalo to be spent on IR at 8-9.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

We also have to realize that he only fired Dorsey due to fan & media pressure.  He repeatedly stated his story for Dorsey.  

I'm not sure he gets kudos for having his hand forced, any more than he does in supporting Peterman over Allen.  

... yet another reason ...

Most coaches don’t talk smack about current coaches. 

Tomlin also caped for Canada. Then fired him. Lol

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we're hard on McD based on the drought era and some head scratcher calls that have been made by himself, but buffalo has not been this good in such a long time. We're kind of all or nothing. I'm not saying he's a great or even a good coach. I have no idea. I think we have Josh and that covers up a lot of issues we would have regardless of our coach. So I'm torn on how I feel. So basically I'd be happy for the team, the fans and the coaches of the team if they got turned around this season

32 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Most coaches don’t talk smack about current coaches. 

Tomlin also caped for Canada. Then fired him. Lol

Generally speaking, few in the NFL talk serious personal smack about anyone else in their "fraternity."  

That's why what coaches, players, etc. say about one another is nearly meaningless.  They'll never be honestly critical with few exceptions.  

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I certainly don’t think I’m in that category.

However, I am in the “well paid coaches should be held accountable” category.

They certainly shouldn't be let off the hook for idiotic rookie errors years into their tenures.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I think we're hard on McD based on the drought era and some head scratcher calls that have been made by himself, but buffalo has not been this good in such a long time. We're kind of all or nothing. I'm not saying he's a great or even a good coach. I have no idea. I think we have Josh and that covers up a lot of issues we would have regardless of our coach. So I'm torn on how I feel. So basically I'd be happy for the team, the fans and the coaches of the team if they got turned around this season

The question that needs to be asked, is whether or not McDimwit with Allen is getting out of the team with Allen what his peer predecessors got from their teams with QBs like Orton, Bledsoe, Taylor, Johnson, Edwards and Losman, who all finished with records from 7-9 to 9-7, several of which also nearly made the playoffs 

On a side note, unmentioned by anyone to date, in the six season prior to our playoff drought, we made the playoffs in four of the six seasons prior and since our Super Bowl years and Polian's firing, and we also lost those in the WC or Divisional Rounds. 

Now we have Allen, the standard needs to be significantly greater.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The question that needs to be asked, is whether or not McDimwit with Allen is getting out of the team with Allen what his peer predecessors got from their teams with QBs like Orton, Bledsoe, Taylor, Johnson, Edwards and Losman, who all finished with records from 7-9 to 9-7, several of which also nearly made the playoffs 

On a side note, unmentioned by anyone to date, in the six season prior to our playoff drought, we made the playoffs in four of the six seasons prior and since our Super Bowl years and Polian's firing, and we also lost those in the WC or Divisional Rounds. 

Now we have Allen, the standard needs to be significantly greater.  

I think it was Chris simms that said Josh need to be demanding and tell the front office that they need to get him weapons. Much like manning and so on. Much like we were all debating g what the issue was with all the losing this year, I think it's everyone and everything just not meeting that standard. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Funny fact, Drew Brees threw 19, 17, 11 and 15 INTs when they missed the postseason those four years. He never threw double digit picks again and never missed the postseason again.

I would, and I am on record that I would rather have the Bills suck for 10 years and win once than make the playoffs 10 years straight and never win.

But, to me, a guy like Haurbaugh is just as good of a coach as McD. Maybe a little better or worse but in the same tier of coaching. Yes, he won 1 Super Bowl a decade ago when his QB had the most insane heroic postseason performance of all time. 

But, imo, McD has been just as good if not better since he’s been a coach in this league.

Put another way, if we fired McD and hired Harbaugh or Tomlin, to me that’s a complete lateral move. Despite their Super Bowl “DNA,” they didn’t win one with us and Harbaugh especially has never even come close repeating.

Also, Dan Campbell will win COTY.

Good call on Campbell, but Harbaugh is no worse than #2 this year. I disagree that it's a lateral move. Both Tomlin and Harbaugh are a full tier above McDermott. McD isn't even in Schottenheimer territory. His gameday coaching is just flat out terrible. He's propped up  by a great roster, including a top-flight QB and they seem to run a cohesive clubhouse. There isn't a single thing about him that's innovative though, and ultimately that's what you need to win it all.

Edited by BullBuchanan

10 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I think it was Chris simms that said Josh need to be demanding and tell the front office that they need to get him weapons. Much like manning and so on. Much like we were all debating g what the issue was with all the losing this year, I think it's everyone and everything just not meeting that standard. 

Ultimately that stems directly from a lack of proper leadership however, from the top of course,  or for anyone proposing sincerity in the efforts otherwise, then an ignorance of what needs to be done.  In short, incompetence.  

Either way, 7 seasons in, an Allen QB'd team needs to have been much further along, particularly in the playoffs, than it's been and remains.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Good call on Campbell, but Harbaugh is no worse than #2 this year. I disagree that it's a lateral move. Both Tomlin and Harbaugh are a full tier above McDermott. McD isn't even in Schottenheimer territory. His gameday coaching is just flat out terrible. He's propped up  by a great roster, including a top-flight QB and they seem to run a cohesive clubhouse. There isn't a single thing about him that's innovative though, and ultimately that's what you need to win it all.

Harbaugh and Tomlin don’t have the success to back up that claim. 

McD has more playoff wins than the both of them COMBINED since 2014. And they both have great GM’s and FO’s.

I don’t want any part of that innovation. To my eye, they are both just pretty good coaches who usually do a good job and because they got lucky enough to win an SB in living memory, they are safe.

Edited by FireChans

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Harbaugh and Tomlin don’t have the success to back up that claim. 

McD has more playoff wins than the both of them COMBINED since 2014. And they both have great GM’s and FO’s.

I don’t want any part of that innovation. To my eye, they are both just pretty good coaches who usually do a good job and because they got lucky enough to win an SB in living memory, they are safe.

there's definitely luck involved in securing that tenure 

But if you don't have that...imo in order to be a top guy w job security that you need to be pretty faultless elsewhere

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But just to be clear "held accountable" does not necessarily equal "fired". 

Agreed.

There have certainly been times where my emotions want him fired, but the more I look at who is out there, I struggle to find a replacement that is clearly better.

It would be a big gamble.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

there's definitely luck involved in securing that tenure 

But if you don't have that...imo in order to be a top guy w job security that you need to be pretty faultless elsewhere

A LARGE element of luck.

Joe Flacco and Anquan Boldin turned into Montana and Rice. That wasn’t just good coaching lol

Most fans will move on and like McD if we win a SB. He’ll become a Buffalo legend. 

However, some will lurk in the shadows the rest of his career waiting for a down period so they can say I told you so. Nobody likes to admit they were wrong. Not when they were this wrong. 

On 11/20/2023 at 12:17 AM, Mikie2times said:

The better we perform in the short term, the more likely we will maintain the status quo in the long term. I don't see any way that isn't the case. It was already a long shot that we would part ways with McDermott after this year. It was going to take an implosion on the trajectory of what we had seen prior to Dorsey being canned. If they turn it around and threaten the playoffs it's not going to happen. 

Do some of you feel strongly enough about McDermott to actual want this thing to implode for the greater good? Do some of you feel if we can somehow get back on track to make the playoffs that it would alter your view on him as the coach next year? Curious what the outlook is on this. 

Let it burn this year if it means less clapping and more Wr drafting.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed.

There have certainly been times where my emotions want him fired, but the more I look at who is out there, I struggle to find a replacement that is clearly better.

It would be a big gamble.

Not sure that it's as big a gamble as is made out.  

Think about it, and keep in mind that up until this season there hasn't been much competition within our division since Allen got going, so with that in mind, how many coaches that we've had during our drought yearswouldn't have won our division during the past three seasons, and therefore simply made the playoffs?   

For sure we have underachieved in the playoffs, which with Allen many coaches could have and may have done.  

It's not fair to compare our coaches from the drought era that took us to 8-8 or 9-7 with schlep QBs, to McDimwit with Allen.  It wouldn't be any different If McD had Manuel, Edwards, or Losman, and it wouldn't be fair to compare him to a team that has Allen.  It's also a real stretch to think that he'd have had our team done what it has with Manuel, Edwards, Losman or even Bledsoe.  As it is, his offense scored approximately 100 points less than Ryan's did with Taylor's.  

It's a tough argument to suggest that taking one of our 9-7 drought era teams, swap out Orton or Bledsoe, or one of our 8-8 drought era teams and swap out Taylor, Bledsoe, or Johnson, with Allen, that they wouldn't have generated that extra win, two, or even three, maybe more, to get us into the playoffs.  

McD's offenses were ranked signficantly worse than Ryan's were, all with Taylor at QB.  His defenses were about the same although ranked slightly worse.  He also hasn't had to content with a Brady-led Pats in the seasons in which we won the divison.  

27 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Most fans will move on and like McD if we win a SB. He’ll become a Buffalo legend. 

However, some will lurk in the shadows the rest of his career waiting for a down period so they can say I told you so. Nobody likes to admit they were wrong. Not when they were this wrong. 

If he wins the Super Bowl, I doubt you'll find any fans that care beyond that.  We'll all be so ecstatic that it won't matter.  

We'll see what happens, but it would be wise to suspect that our defense is about to be exposed against the teams that we'll be facing from now until the end of the season, with the exception of New England.  ... which ironically already exposed it.  

We face the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 8th Scoring Offenses coming up, the Chiefs at 14th, and the Pats that already hung 29 on us in their highest scoring game of the season.   

If we end up with a top-10 scoring defense after that it'll be damn near remarkable.  

45 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Not sure that it's as big a gamble as is made out.  

Think about it, and keep in mind that up until this season there hasn't been much competition within our division since Allen got going, so with that in mind, how many coaches that we've had during our drought yearswouldn't have won our division during the past three seasons, and therefore simply made the playoffs?   

For sure we have underachieved in the playoffs, which with Allen many coaches could have and may have done.  

It's not fair to compare our coaches from the drought era that took us to 8-8 or 9-7 with schlep QBs, to McDimwit with Allen.  It wouldn't be any different If McD had Manuel, Edwards, or Losman, and it wouldn't be fair to compare him to a team that has Allen.  It's also a real stretch to think that he'd have had our team done what it has with Manuel, Edwards, Losman or even Bledsoe.  As it is, his offense scored approximately 100 points less than Ryan's did with Taylor's.  

It's a tough argument to suggest that taking one of our 9-7 drought era teams, swap out Orton or Bledsoe, or one of our 8-8 drought era teams and swap out Taylor, Bledsoe, or Johnson, with Allen, that they wouldn't have generated that extra win, two, or even three, maybe more, to get us into the playoffs.  

McD's offenses were ranked signficantly worse than Ryan's were, all with Taylor at QB.  His defenses were about the same although ranked slightly worse.  He also hasn't had to content with a Brady-led Pats in the seasons in which we won the divison.  

The Bills went 9-7 exactly twice during the drought. 

Doug Marrone maybe. That’s it. 

I’m not sure any of the drought coaches find Poyer, Hyde, Milano and Tre and make them All-Pros. 

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

OK, ... and how many times did we go 8-8?  

Who were the QBs in each of those seasons? 

Lots of times with bad coaches who never got head coaching jobs again unless they got their own HC fired. Except Mularkey

Edited by FireChans
  • Eyeroll 1

Under McDermott this team has lost a half dozen games with late game debacles.

They've also lost way too many close games. That's on coaching IMO.

Sean is the guy that can reset a broken franchise and make them a functioning unit. But he's not a championship coach IMO.

He's Chuck Knox.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.