Outlook on McDermott if we turn it around

Mikie2times

7 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

1) Do some of you feel strongly enough about McDermott to actual want this thing to implode for the greater good?

2) Do some of you feel if we can somehow get back on track to make the playoffs that it would alter your view on him as the coach next year? 

My answers are NO and NO. 

1) I have seen enough of the Bills sucking and do not want them to lose. The only exception might be if we were battling for the first pick of a draft, and even that I am saying as a possibility, not an assertion. 

2) No way. My position has long been that he has FAR too much power in the organization, to include the draft and free agent signings. He was too defensive minded since the day he arrived and traded the Mahomes pick and drafted a corner, this on a team that was in need of a quarterback. This dumb move was a harbinger of things to come. McDermott needs to go but hey......jmo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm in the minority clearly but I'm a huge McD fan. I'm in my 30s, was too young to enjoy Levy, barely able to enjoy Wade, basically grew up in the drought and McD ends that in year 1, I just don't see an improvement out there, his biggest mistake besides 13 seconds, which can be put on many players/coaches, was letting a 25 year old QB hand pick his oc. 

I'm glad he's here

say what?

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

it’s all synergistic. 

Dorsey will go down as the worst coach in Buffalo history. Up there with Krueger in the Sabres. 

Not a Dorsey apologist, but statistically speaking, Dorsey did a great job.

Also, he did NOT contol turnovers, pass drops, or errant throws or boneheaded decisions by JA17, or mind numbing decisions by McClappy.

Edited by Bob Jones

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We'll have to go 2-1 against the Chefs, Iggles, Chefs, which make Dallas a must win.  Cynthia Frelund's model only had the Bills at 40% to make the playoffs with a win today, and she's projecting that the Bills won't be there.  If we miss the playoffs, McDummy must go.  If we make it and go out round 1, I still want him gone.  I would only bring him back if we have a good showing in the AFCCG (even in a loss, unless he does something stupid again) and if we make the Super Bowl, win or lose.  

so if McD goes , then Beane goes as well, which clears the house top to bottom.  then a complete restart, roster changeout and suck for 2-3 years.  thats the way it works in the NFL.  You willing to go through that in Josh's best years simply bc you dislike McD?  

Be careful what you wish for.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

23 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

so if McD goes , then Beane goes as well, which clears the house top to bottom.  then a complete restart, roster changeout and suck for 2-3 years.  thats the way it works in the NFL.  You willing to go through that in Josh's best years simply bc you dislike McD?  

Ok, why does Beane have to go?

You don't think the roster needs an overhaul already? They are really old right now. Morse, White, Hyde, Poyer, Miller, Epenesa, Lawson, Settle, Phillips, Davis and Floyd are all old or on expiring contracts. And that doesn't even address RT.

There is going to be significant roster turnover with or without a HC change.

But let's get real here. McDermott is not going to get fired after missing the playoffs for one year. 

That gives him one more shot with a new WR#2, Kincaid and Knox together in year 2, and probably a new RT.

They will be fine at CB between Jackson, Benford, and Douglas. LB looks good right now. 

Draft WR, RT, C, Safety and some developmental DT and DEs. 

42 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

The six teams in front of them have all the tire breakers v the bills and only have to go 4-3 or better to get to 10 wins.  10-7 very easily could not be enough.  

Those other wildcard teams play against eachother a lot though. I also wouldn’t say ‘only have to go 4-3’ with regards to a team like the Steelers lol.  That would be a heck of an accomplishment for that roster

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Everyone went ballistic on him the last few weeks. Now that it’s obvious it was actually Dorsey all along many fans will have cognitive dissonance. 

It’s tough mentally to be THAT wrong about something. Let the fans work through it. 

But some will never let it go.  

You sure it was all that obvious?  

Seems that we played the same in our three game string against Miami, @ Washington, and the Raiders.  

In fact, Romo ranted about our point-differential, which is great as a whole, but it's largely as a result of those three games.  In our other 8 games we're PF 171 and PA 157, for +14, not even 2 ppg, which is patently average.  Without yesterday's game contributing to that it's negative by about the same amount.  In the six game string prior to yesterday it was 123 PF and 139 PA for -16.  

The inconsistency of this particular team hasn't been seen in eons.  

It's easy to rave over yesterday's performance, but we're talking about beating a team that hasn't even averaged 10 PPG over their past four games.  It helps when your defense is able to provide a 14 minute time-of-possession advantage, limit the opposing offense to 54 plays, allow them nothing better than starting field-position at their own 34.  We also had 10 of our points set up by our D at the Jets' 21 and 23 YLs.  

Concerning for us is going 1-for-4 in the Red Zone, and having a very average 3rd-down-conversion-rate.  The Jets have the 12th ranked scoring D, not the 1st, not even in the top-10.  

Not one other team on our remaining schedule is going to be anywhere close to that anemic offensively.  

So we'll see.  It was a good and much needed win, and for sure a step towards a retracking of the offense, but it was also the type of win that provides false hopes for something more than we are.  Not one other game this season is going to be anywhere near that easy.  Four of the last six are on the road as well and four are against teams with 7 or 8 wins.  

Ahead we face the 2nd and 5th ranked scoring Ds, but more alarmingly, we face the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th, and 11th ranked scoring offenses, four times on the road.  That's going to be a whole lot different for our D than Zach Wilson and the Jets.  

We should find out beginning this Sunday whether this game will end up being an outlier or the front end of a new season of sorts for us.  It's wise to be cautiously optimistic at best.  

• Like (+1) 1

He was always coming back. It was silly talk. And I think he is a great leader but do wonder if an offensive coach/ different voice is what we need for the next step.

that said he would deserve a ton of credit for keeping the team together. But you could also argue that we shouldn’t be in this hole in the first place and have some of the worst losses of the last 5 years this season. And the biggest reason if we make the playoffs are Pickett, DTR, Browning, Zach Wilson, etc. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

This just isnt true. Not for how the Bills are structured, and not for how business is done in the modern NFL.

No clear out. No tear down. No restart.

Example: See the Miami Dolphins.

Had a low-key, "high-integrity" Defensive minded Head Coach whose teams always underperformed and came up short. (Sound familiar?)

They canned him and brought in a young, hot shot, Offensive coach. No GM change. No major roster changes. And he has hit the ground running, they have seen immediate improvement, and will likely take the Division over us this year.

You worry about wasting Josh's best years in a change, but from the evidence presented it looks like we are on track to waste him on McD.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I’m won’t argue with you. Watch the offense the rest of the year. It will do the arguing for me. 

Your object certainty in the face of ALL available evidence at least gives me something fun to come back to when this goes down in flames. Dorsey didn't let Mac Jones and Russ go 49/59

8 hours ago, Wizard said:

7 Things McDermott Must Do

1. Make Playoffs

2. Win at least 1 playoff game

3. Joe Brady has offense scoring 24-35 points every game, or we get a top 5 available OC with proven success for next season by February 2024.

4. McDermott has a time management/situational guy helping him in tight games/situations. Seriously!

5. Bills cut bait on overpriced veterans. There is a plan that restructures Allen and Diggs as our cap currently is not friendly for 2024.

6. FA focus is in depth. Draft focuses on a promising #2 WR prospect, a RT, ahd and secondary help.  We return/retain guys like Floyd and Epenesa or key pass rushers we can afford.

7. A DC is in place that is not from the Panthers. The person has  had success as a DC and is hired by February 2024. This defense is complementary of McDermott's philosophy with a focus on tackling and creating turnovers more frequently.

Agree with everything except Bills needing to a win a playoff game. If the Bills don't win the division, making the playoffs will likely mean the 7 seed and matching up with KC or Baltimore on the road. In that scenario I would be okay with a loss as long as it is competitive. Just to make the playoffs they are going to have to go 3-2 or better against some quality teams down the stretch. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was always coming back. It was silly talk. And I think he is a great leader but do wonder if an offensive coach/ different voice is what we need for the next step.

that said he would deserve a ton of credit for keeping the team together. But you could also argue that we shouldn’t be in this hole in the first place and have some of the worst losses of the last 5 years this season. And the biggest reason if we make the playoffs are Pickett, DTR, Browning, Zach Wilson, etc. 

It was nice to get a dominant win last night, against a team we should dominate. Let's see how it goes through this gauntlet of a schedule coming up.

Dorsey wasnt the only problem on this team. Anyone assuming it will be all suncshine and rainbows from here is in for a bad time.

I think McD's seat is still hot depending how the rest of this season goes. I'd still like to see us take the next step and bring in that O coach.

• Like (+1) 1

It starts with “has McD lost the locker room”. If the answer is no, he is probably still here one more year. If the answer is yes, he has to go. There isn’t another choice.

I do think the responsible way to move on from McD is to hold on to him one more year maybe two. We have a million UFA’s next year, and no cap. Load up on offense in the draft. Cut some aging contracts for 2024. This team won’t be great next season. Set the next guy up for success with a clean slate rather than come in year one with the team taking a step back.

At that point, if Brady is the truth like some people think, barring somebody like McVay getting fired, you hand the reigns over and maybe even make a guy like Babich the DC.  

To me this is the kind of move that keeps the train on the tracks at full speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Why would beane go? And this post is written like ending the drought is good enough 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

It starts with “has McD lost the locker room”. If the answer is no, he is probably still here one more year. If the answer is yes, he has to go. There isn’t another choice.

I do think the responsible way to move on from McD is to hold on to him one more year maybe two. We have a million UFA’s next year, and no cap. Load up on offense in the draft. Cut some aging contracts for 2024. This team won’t be great next season. Set the next guy up for success with a clean slate rather than come in year one with the team taking a step back.

At that point, if Brady is the truth like some people think, barring somebody like McVay getting fired, you hand the reigns over and maybe even make a guy like Babich the DC.  

To me this is the kind of move that keeps the train on the tracks at full speed. 

Hiring Brady as a HC would be one of the worst moves I could ever think of. 

I guess we would need a definition of what "turning it around" means.

For me, the Bills must make the playoffs and win at least one playoff game for me to  consider a "turnaround."

This likely means Buffalo has to go 4-2 here on out and finish out 10-7 in the regular season.

We already had 3 silly losses from poor coaching, poor management, and poor play (first Jets game, Patriots, and Broncos). 

Listed below are my 7  "musts" for a a mini rebuild/retooling and to keep Buffalo competitive. If they can do these things, I would go another year with McDermott and Beane.

If not, new leadership is needed.

1. Make Playoffs

3. Joe Brady has offense scoring 24-35 points every game, or we get a top 5 available OC with proven success for next season by February 2024.

4. McDermott has a time management/situational guy helping him in tight games/situations. Seriously!

5. Bills cut bait on overpriced veterans. There is a plan that restructures Allen and Diggs as our cap currently is not friendly for 2024.

6. FA focus is in depth. Draft focuses on a promising #2 WR prospect, a RT, ahd and secondary help.  We return/retain guys like Floyd and Epenesa or key pass rushers we can afford.

7. A DC is in place that is not from the Panthers. The person has  had success as a DC and is hired by February 2024. This defense is complementary of McDermott's philosophy with a focus on tackling and creating turnovers more frequently.

Maybe they should just fire Beane and hire you. 

38 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You sure it was all that obvious?  

Seems that we played the same in our three game string against Miami, @ Washington, and the Raiders.  

In fact, Romo ranted about our point-differential, which is great as a whole, but it's largely as a result of those three games.  In our other 8 games we're PF 171 and PA 157, for +14, not even 2 ppg, which is patently average.  Without yesterday's game contributing to that it's negative by about the same amount.  In the six game string prior to yesterday it was 123 PF and 139 PA for -16.  

The inconsistency of this particular team hasn't been seen in eons.  

It's easy to rave over yesterday's performance, but we're talking about beating a team that hasn't even averaged 10 PPG over their past four games.  It helps when your defense is able to provide a 14 minute time-of-possession advantage, limit the opposing offense to 54 plays, allow them nothing better than starting field-position at their own 34.  We also had 10 of our points set up by our D at the Jets' 21 and 23 YLs.  

Concerning for us is going 1-for-4 in the Red Zone, and having a very average 3rd-down-conversion-rate.  The Jets have the 12th ranked scoring D, not the 1st, not even in the top-10.  

Not one other team on our remaining schedule is going to be anywhere close to that anemic offensively.  

So we'll see.  It was a good and much needed win, and for sure a step towards a retracking of the offense, but it was also the type of win that provides false hopes for something more than we are.  Not one other game this season is going to be anywhere near that easy.  Four of the last six are on the road as well and four are against teams with 7 or 8 wins.  

Ahead we face the 2nd and 5th ranked scoring Ds, but more alarmingly, we face the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th, and 11th ranked scoring offenses, four times on the road.  That's going to be a whole lot different for our D than Zach Wilson and the Jets.  

We should find out beginning this Sunday whether this game will end up being an outlier or the front end of a new season of sorts for us.  It's wise to be cautiously optimistic at best.  

I tend to agree here. A lot of people going off on Saleh for his hero ball comment. I get it. Wasn’t great wording. I think they came in with the same exact game plan and waited for this offense to self destruct.

To Joe Brady’s credit it didn’t happen. Part of a coaches job is getting players to execute as much as it is a players job to actually get it done as well. 

But I vividly remember how rock hard I was after the Dolphins and Raiders games too. 

Good game this week. I won’t spend much time complaining about what coulda been bad.  I’ll take this one. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hiring Brady as a HC would be one of the worst moves I could ever think of. 

I don’t disagree. He has had one good game here. But if this board wants a young OC to take over there is a path for it in house. But you would have to give him at least one full year as OC first. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Not even the most anti McDermott fan will call for his head if the Bills turn around their past shortcoming seasons and win the SB.  They still may not like him as the coach but the results would warrant not messing with what works.  And winning  the SB would work for all Bills fans I'm sure.

It's nice to know that if the Bills win the Super Bowl this season McDermott can hold onto his job. That shows how broad-minded the anti-McDermott fans are.

I guess we would need a definition of what "turning it around" means.

For me, the Bills must make the playoffs and win at least one playoff game for me to  consider a "turnaround."

This likely means Buffalo has to go 4-2 here on out and finish out 10-7 in the regular season.

We already had 3 silly losses from poor coaching, poor management, and poor play (first Jets game, Patriots, and Broncos). 

Listed below are my 7  "musts" for a a mini rebuild/retooling and to keep Buffalo competitive. If they can do these things, I would go another year with McDermott and Beane.

If not, new leadership is needed.

1. Make Playoffs

5. A DC is in place that is not from the Panthers. The person has  had success as a DC and is hired by February 2024. This defense is complementary of McDermott's philosophy with a focus on tackling and creating turnovers more frequently.

Good list, except items 5 and 6 arent McD's responsibility.  I agree 100% with the remaining 5.

I think the other 2 GM items will happen regardless. Morse, Poyer, and White are good as gone. Just those 3 gives us $20M in cap back. Cutting Deonte Harty gives us another $4M.

I do see us going DB and WR in the draft. We BETTER pay Epenesa and Floyd.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

How Brady does in the next 6 games is the real question for me. The defense has had some key breakdowns, but a lot of that was after keeping the offense afloat for an unsustainable amount of time. 

If the Bills get into the playoffs and show life, I am curious to see what Joe Brady can do with a full offseason. 

If the Bills flame out, offense looks awful, then it's an easy reset and a 2024 of burning every bad FA contract to start fresh in '25.

To me the real question is this: what happens if the team looks much improved, wins games (plural) against Philly/KC/Dallas but misses the playoffs due to a bad loss and tiebreakers. Does the potential turnaround warrant one more year after four years of results we were thrilled about?

I only remember rooting for the Bills to lose one time... in that 2010 season when it appeared like Luck and Newton might both come out and I thought a top 2 pick was a guarantee of a franchise QB. In the end Luck didn't come out but the Bills blew it anyway winning 4 games down the stretch to pick 3rd. 

Otherwise I am always in it for wins. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I only remember rooting for the Bills to lose one time... in that 2010 season when it appeared like Luck and Newton might both come out and I thought a top 2 pick was a guarantee of a franchise QB. In the end Luck didn't come out but the Bills blew it anyway winning 4 games down the stretch to pick 3rd. 

Otherwise I am always in it for wins. 

Lol, that was the same game for me!! Didn’t they beat Carolina on a last second FG?

9 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

The better we perform in the short term, the more likely we will maintain the status quo in the long term. I don't see any way that isn't the case. It was already a long shot that we would part ways with McDermott after this year. It was going to take an implosion on the trajectory of what we had seen prior to Dorsey being canned. If they turn it around and threaten the playoffs it's not going to happen. 

Do some of you feel strongly enough about McDermott to actual want this thing to implode for the greater good? Do some of you feel if we can somehow get back on track to make the playoffs that it would alter your view on him as the coach next year? Curious what the outlook is on this. 

This is the type of mindset that drives me nuts. We need to tank to get the HC fired. For who?  WHO KNOWS! But ANYBODY has to be better, right? Right.  I mean...IF IF IF Andy Reid or Vince Lombardi was sitting out there waiting for a HC job, then at least I could wrap my head around this thought process. But....hes not. So please stop.

I read a comment on Twitter...X...whatever...last week that...get this....even if the Bills WIN THE SUPER BOWL they should fire McDermott. Some of you need to go outside more. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ok, why does Beane have to go?

You don't think the roster needs an overhaul already? They are really old right now. Morse, White, Hyde, Poyer, Miller, Epenesa, Lawson, Settle, Phillips, Davis and Floyd are all old or on expiring contracts. And that doesn't even address RT.

There is going to be significant roster turnover with or without a HC change.

But let's get real here. McDermott is not going to get fired after missing the playoffs for one year. 

That gives him one more shot with a new WR#2, Kincaid and Knox together in year 2, and probably a new RT.

They will be fine at CB between Jackson, Benford, and Douglas. LB looks good right now. 

Draft WR, RT, C, Safety and some developmental DT and DEs. 

And you were doing so well....  You're probably right, McDummy won't be going anywhere barring an 0-6 finish (a guy can dream, can't he?).  You're absolutely right that the roster is in need of an overhaul, but we have good pieces in key places.  

5 minutes ago, RkFast said:

This is the type of mindset that drives me nuts. We need to tank to get the HC fired. For who?  WHO KNOWS! But ANYBODY has to be better, right? Right. 

I read a comment on Twitter...X...whatever...last week that...get this....even if the Bills WIN THE SUPER BOWL they should fire McDermott.

Some of you need to go outside more. 

Obviously not if he wins the super bowl. The problem for most fans, myself included, is they feel he will never win an SB, with plenty of evidence to validate those feelings. Can't have the Josh Allen years just be good 

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Firing McDummy doesn't automatically mean that McBeane gets fired.  He's an OK GM, not great, a few too many misses for my taste (Elam, Boogie, Motor, Moss, etc.), but some real hits as well (Benford, Groot, Bernard, Williams, etc.).  As pointed out elsewhere, the roster is in need of overhaul in any event, to address both age and cap space.  Getting a new coach does not automatically mean that the drought days are back.  We have the most important thing we need, Josh Allen, the best QB in the NFL (YEAH, I SEDDIT!!!).  Any coach worth their salt would be chomping at the bit to coach Josh.  

I don't dislike McDummy at all, he's probably a swell guy.  But I can't take any more stupid coaching decisions that lose us the close games.  He's fine when we win by 3+ TD's, but he chokes when the game is one score or less difference.  We need someone that doesn't lose it in close games.  I taped and watched every minute of the pre-game shows this weekend.  All discussed Dorsey's firing, and all of them discussed McDummy calling two 0 blitzes back to back, the one on 3rd down which resulted in the DPI on TJ, basically handing the game to the Broncos.  The next comment was "But Dorsey had to go".  Based on Brady's performance yesterday, McDummy may have been vindicated in that decision, but his in-game decisions still suck donkey dick.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Not even the most anti McDermott fan will call for his head if the Bills turn around their past shortcoming seasons and win the SB.  They still may not like him as the coach but the results would warrant not messing with what works.  And winning  the SB would work for all Bills fans I'm sure.

What if he loses in the playoffs?  What’s your take?  Easy to make decisions after winning the SB. 

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

This team is known for its sporadic big games at key times.  The Jetss are a hapless team that has averaged 16 PPG. 

In not impressed with the defense. They played well but I expected them to play well against that terrible Jets offense.

What I am impressed with is the Bills offense.

To put 32 points up against that Jets defense is unbelievable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In not impressed with the defense. They played well but I expected them to play well against that terrible Jets offense.

What I am impressed with is the Bills offense.

To put 32 points up against that Jets defense is unbelievable.

32 points with an OC who had ~6 days to prepare and call his first game for the team against a top 3 defense.  

The whole team just looked more in sync and Allen looked more alive. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.