The Good, The Sad, The Ugly, The Joe Brady Era Begins Edition

Chaos

Just now, iccrewman112 said:

year 1 he was great all downhill since then terribly prepared for all games not just this one. 

I don't think he was prepared for games year 1. I think he just knew the league still.

It also should be a testament to how much to league has changed since he left that he doesn't see it the same

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that the offense was outstanding. However, it was improved and had better flow than previous weeks. Defense put them in some good situations which they need to convert that into TDs. However, the winning formula for remainder of the season is for the offense to get early leads and allow the defense to force teams into becoming one dimensional.

The formula is also greatly aided when the Bills protect the ball. Losses to NYJ, NE and Den are great examples! Make stupid turnovers and you lose to teams you have no business losing to and get your OC canned.

35 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Good:

1. The Bills seemed prepared, focused and put forward a professional effort today.  This is the first time in many weeks, one can confidently say that. 
  2. The offense was outstanding. 
  3. The defense was outstanding
  4. Josh Allen proved once again that that fact they he can't single handedly win the game every week does not mean there is anything wrong with him.  He was A+
  5. The play calling and rythym was much improved
  6. There were several plays on offense that seemed much better designed than we had been seeing. Don't know if these were in the playbook and not called, or if these are Brady rather than Dorsey plays
  7. Some of the plays mentioned in 6, involved there being wide open receivers.  This is wonderful development.  The Bills join the other 31 teams in having some plays like this now. 
  8. This sounds a bit back handed to include in the "good" section, but the McDermott defense works best when the offense makes the other team one-dimensional, which it was able to do today.  And the opponent is not great.  But any time you hold an NFL team to six points the defensive performance is outstanding (see point 2).

The Sad:

1. This is on me more than the team.  But being a Bill's fan for many decades has included many "coulda beens".  Watching the turnaround today did bring a bit of upset about that if the Bills hadn't  3 blown fourth quarter losses and Overtime collapse in the first Jets game, the would be full speed ahead towards the AFC's number 1 seed.  But as it is as far as I am concerned unless the get a 6th loss, they will be 12-5 which should be enough to secure the AFC East again. 

The Ugly:

1. Tony Romo's inane commentary throughout the game.
  2. Typical bad NFL officiating. Not sure what the answer to this is and I don't know what changed.  But it has not always been this way. 
  3. Kicking game.  Bass and Martin are not dependable.  This is a volatile combination with a head coach that historically struggles with decision making in the final moments of tight games.  

We have to hope that this wasn't simply one of our emotional high games at home and that the momentum continues.  

@ Philly's going to be a real test of that.  

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Good:

1. The Bills seemed prepared, focused and put forward a professional effort today.  This is the first time in many weeks, one can confidently say that. 
  4. Josh Allen proved once again that that fact they he can't single handedly win the game every week does not mean there is anything wrong with him.  He was A+
  6. There were several plays on offense that seemed much better designed than we had been seeing. Don't know if these were in the playbook and not called, or if these are Brady rather than Dorsey plays
  7. Some of the plays mentioned in 6, involved there being wide open receivers.  This is wonderful development.  The Bills join the other 31 teams in having some plays like this now. 
  8. This sounds a bit back handed to include in the "good" section, but the McDermott defense works best when the offense makes the other team one-dimensional, which it was able to do today.  And the opponent is not great.  But any time you hold an NFL team to six points the defensive performance is outstanding (see point 2).

The Sad:

1. This is on me more than the team.  But being a Bill's fan for many decades has included many "coulda beens".  Watching the turnaround today did bring a bit of upset about that if the Bills hadn't  3 blown fourth quarter losses and Overtime collapse in the first Jets game, the would be full speed ahead towards the AFC's number 1 seed.  But as it is as far as I am concerned unless the get a 6th loss, they will be 12-5 which should be enough to secure the AFC East again. 

The Ugly:

2. Typical bad NFL officiating. Not sure what the answer to this is and I don't know what changed.  But it has not always been this way. 
  3. Kicking game.  Bass and Martin are not dependable.  This is a volatile combination with a head coach that historically struggles with decision making in the final moments of tight games. 

Yeah, inane, so what is up in the NFL analyst world so that they think they cannot speak their minds, say what they actually believe?

Just like so many on Dorsey, Romo heaped praise on him, but going beyond most, calling him a "great" offensive coordinator several times.

BUT, then in his actual analysis in the game he talked glowingly of the changes we all saw almost immediately, including the running game, the synchronicity between the running and passing game, the various and more numerous short routes...

And his praise for the change built to a crescendo after Shakir's touchdown.

After he called Dorsey great repeatedly he was almost in awe of the many positive changes in the offense in one game.

He seemed to know the actual problems well, as he pointed to the same things Bills fans likely saw, were looking for.

Not helpful, Tony. Troy Aikman doesn't do that.

It is like Tasker,, the day after the firing all about the need for this change, after never a word of criticism the entire year.

11 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that the offense was outstanding. However, it was improved and had better flow than previous weeks. Defense put them in some good situations which they need to convert that into TDs. However, the winning formula for remainder of the season is for the offense to get early leads and allow the defense to force teams into becoming one dimensional.

32 points against one of the leagues top defenses is outstanding. full stop. 

The only thing I didn’t like was those two wimpy drives after the 81-yarder. 

The Bills were content to just sit on it.

The good -

All of the things that we’ve been wanting.

Some tempo, under center, play action, you saw motion with Diggs on the first two plays right away, Harty on the field a bit. 

If the Bills make the playoffs, win a playoff game, and win at least 2 out of the 3 next games with the offense looking reborn and great, then I will be more of a believer. The Jets are a one dimensional team with a poor record (you are what your record says you are) and the Bills don't have a good history of consistently beating good teams with good performances from the offense and defense that are not the Dolphins the past few years. Dorsey had games like this as coordinator. 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think he was different than the typical ckr commentator we were used to seeing when he first started. He did offer up a lot of knowledge at first and did a real good job breaking things down for a typical fan.

Honestly, over the years he seems to have gotten lazy. Maybe he's not studying film like he used to. Maybe he's spending too much time in the off-season at golf tournaments or those commercials? And didn't he date Jessica Simpson at one point? 

Yea he was dating her when he was the starting QB boy wonder in Dallas.  No idea nor any interest how long they lasted.  Don't even know why that even matters on his work.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Not a popular thought but Romo was never good. 

Will disagree on that.  When Romo first started, he knew what the play would be from the formation and the defense.  He called the audibles that the QB called and had the game mapped out, then he explained why he was such a Nostradamus.  I learned a ton listening to him early in his career.  CBS told him to stop doing that, so now he's a JAG as an analyst.  You learn practically nothing from listening to him.  I wish he would go back to telling us exactly what play was coming.

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Good:

The Sad:

The Ugly:

Don’t worry about the blown games, they’re history. If this team is good enough to win in the postseason they should be good enough to go on a run and get back the respect they lost with losing to inferior teams(Jets,NE,Denver and Jacksonville.)They have 4 winnable games( NE,Dallas at home and LA and Miami away)left and that would get them to 10. I see Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo as wildcard teams. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

The Ugly:

1. Typical bad NFL officiating. Not sure what the answer to this is and I don't know what changed.  But it has not always been this way. 
  2. Kicking game.  Bass and Martin are not dependable.  This is a volatile combination with a head coach that historically struggles with decision making in the final moments of tight games. 

I didn't find the officiating particularly awful.  They missed a few, and there were a few ticky tack calls, but they got the major ones right, like Sauce holding Diggs in the EZ, and later supplexing him long after the play was over.

Martin needs to go.  His line drive punts directly down the middle of the field are killing us.  We really need to bring in Matt Araiza, for so many reasons, not the least of which is making it right and helping this young man reclaim his good name.  We owe him at least that much.  Bass has done enough here to earn the benefit of the doubt.  He nailed that 50 yarder with tons of room to spare, so I let him work out his issues.  

33 minutes ago, BananaB said:

The two minute defense let them get 6 before half. It’s been a problem late in games and this should be a huge aspect to focus on. Other than that good game on both sides. 

Dunno... that drive only survived because the refs gifted NY a fresh set of downs with a phantom DPI on Douglas, and then the 15 yarder called on Oliver planting Wilson, and the dump pass to their RB after we lost Taron and were moving guys around.

Not too down on the defense for that series. Other times this year - yes, I have been baffled by the calls.

51 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not much bad in this game. The complaints would be the following.

1- That fake punt was a great call by the Jets but had the Bills sniffed that out they would have been close to it not in field goal range up 16.

2- Why were the Bills going for a Hail Mary? The pick could have very easily been returned for a TD. Brady will hopefully learn to play more conservative in that situation up 10 with the ball to start the next half with a defense dominating there is no need to risk a pick 6.

3- Some bad penalties. The Oliver roughing and the Dawkins silly penalty were bad. 

4- Special teams in general were a bit shaky. The fake punt is the glaring example but the Jets also got a couple of big returns. Bass also missed a PAT that kept it a two score game. Not a tragic game but ST was by far the weakest of the three units.

Other than that what can you complain about? They put up 32 against a top ranked defense and the defense held them to 6 points and created multiple turnovers. The offense looked a lot better.

We absolutely must clean up penalties & ST.  I liked the tempo of Brady's offense.  The hail Mary was extremely stupid.  Take a knee into the wind.  Time to bench Gabe.  All in all a very good night.

51 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I mean it remains to be seen if they can be consistent at this level, Dorsey had good games too, but this was a very good game for the Offense, sure they kicked a lot of FGs early on. But you can't just ignore how good a defense they were up against or the situation they were in switching to an interim OC. Given the circumstances and what they were up against it was a great performance, now they just have to keep it up and the defense needs to hang on too.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

You’re high if you think we aren’t losing another game

Punch the breaks a little. It was a solid W over an inferior team, that’s it.

We are on to Philidelphia

Inferior offense yes, I'll give you that. But for an interim OC against that defense, you couldn't ask for more.

• Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Yeah, inane, so what is up in the NFL analyst world so that they think they cannot speak their minds, say what they actually believe?

Just like so many on Dorsey, Romo heaped praise on him, but going beyond most, calling him a "great" offensive coordinator several times.

BUT, then in his actual analysis in the game he talked glowingly of the changes we all saw almost immediately, including the running game, the synchronicity between the running and passing game, the various and more numerous short routes...

And his praise for the change built to a crescendo after Shakir's touchdown.

After he called Dorsey great repeatedly he was almost in awe of the many positive changes in the offense in one game.

He seemed to know the actual problems well, as he pointed to the same things Bills fans likely saw, were looking for.

Not helpful, Tony. Troy Aikman doesn't do that.

It is like Tasker,, the day after the firing all about the need for this change, after never a word of criticism the entire year.

It’s a bad look to complain about coaches publicly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.