The Good, The Sad, The Ugly, The Joe Brady Era Begins Edition

Chaos

The Good:

1. The Bills seemed prepared, focused and put forward a professional effort today.  This is the first time in many weeks, one can confidently say that. 
  2. The offense was outstanding. 
  3. The defense was outstanding
  4. Josh Allen proved once again that that fact they he can't single handedly win the game every week does not mean there is anything wrong with him.  He was A+
  5. The play calling and rythym was much improved
  6. There were several plays on offense that seemed much better designed than we had been seeing. Don't know if these were in the playbook and not called, or if these are Brady rather than Dorsey plays
  7. Some of the plays mentioned in 6, involved there being wide open receivers.  This is wonderful development.  The Bills join the other 31 teams in having some plays like this now. 
  8. This sounds a bit back handed to include in the "good" section, but the McDermott defense works best when the offense makes the other team one-dimensional, which it was able to do today.  And the opponent is not great.  But any time you hold an NFL team to six points the defensive performance is outstanding (see point 2).

The Sad:

1. This is on me more than the team.  But being a Bill's fan for many decades has included many "coulda beens".  Watching the turnaround today did bring a bit of upset about that if the Bills hadn't  3 blown fourth quarter losses and Overtime collapse in the first Jets game, the would be full speed ahead towards the AFC's number 1 seed.  But as it is as far as I am concerned unless the get a 6th loss, they will be 12-5 which should be enough to secure the AFC East again. 

The Ugly:

1. Tony Romo's inane commentary throughout the game.
  2. Typical bad NFL officiating. Not sure what the answer to this is and I don't know what changed.  But it has not always been this way. 
  3. Kicking game.  Bass and Martin are not dependable.  This is a volatile combination with a head coach that historically struggles with decision making in the final moments of tight games. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Romo took the NFL world by storm his 1st year calling games because he was the first to really diagnose what was happening on the field, and use his knowledge of coverages & pre-snap reads to correctly predict what was about to happen. It was a breath of fresh air. He went away from that within a year or 2 for some reason, and now is just another drone talking head. He's become almost as annoying as Collinsworth.

• Agree 3

Didn't CBS tell Romo to dumb down his commentary? I seem to recall that after he was so much better breaking down plays his first year they told him to ease up.

I'll get excited if they get to the bye week 7-5. But it's nice to not be miserable after a game LOL

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

1. Kicking game.  Bass and Martin are not dependable.  This is a volatile combination with a head coach that historically struggles with decision making in the final moments of tight games. 

Obviously didn’t like the missed EP, but I feel like Bass has been pretty good-am I missing something?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Bass has been pretty dependable for a long time so not anywhere close to ready to write him off.  Do agree need a new punter in the off season.

Was a little concerned in the 1st half on the stalled drives leading to FG's, but overall played well.

On the fake punt, was thinking if only the Bills player just held the Jet gunner who caught the pass like they normally do on most punts.  Never would have attempted the pas and it just would have been a 15 yd penalty from the point where they received the punt like happens every other punt.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, boyst said:

Not a popular thought but Romo was never good. 

I think he was different than the typical ckr commentator we were used to seeing when he first started. He did offer up a lot of knowledge at first and did a real good job breaking things down for a typical fan.

Honestly, over the years he seems to have gotten lazy. Maybe he's not studying film like he used to. Maybe he's spending too much time in the off-season at golf tournaments or those commercials? And didn't he date Jessica Simpson at one point? 

Not much bad in this game. The complaints would be the following.

1- That fake punt was a great call by the Jets but had the Bills sniffed that out they would have been close to it not in field goal range up 16.

2- Why were the Bills going for a Hail Mary? The pick could have very easily been returned for a TD. Brady will hopefully learn to play more conservative in that situation up 10 with the ball to start the next half with a defense dominating there is no need to risk a pick 6.

3- Some bad penalties. The Oliver roughing and the Dawkins silly penalty were bad. 

4- Special teams in general were a bit shaky. The fake punt is the glaring example but the Jets also got a couple of big returns. Bass also missed a PAT that kept it a two score game. Not a tragic game but ST was by far the weakest of the three units.

Other than that what can you complain about? They put up 32 against a top ranked defense and the defense held them to 6 points and created multiple turnovers. The offense looked a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean I'd think it's the same plays/playbook he's just calling them differently/at different times, it'd be a little insane to just teach the offense a new scheme mid season.

Bass was fine he missed one kick out of what 6? and he made all of the longer ones.

Yeah, he's missed some including the XP tonight. But then he drilled that 50 yarder into the wind after. It happens.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

1- That fake punt was a great call by the Jets but had the Bills sniffed that out they would have been close to it not in field goal range up 16.

2- Why were the Bills going for a Hail Mary? The pick could have very easily been returned for a TD. Brady will hopefully learn to play more conservative in that situation up 10 with the ball to start the next half with a defense dominating there is no need to risk a pick 6.

3- Some bad penalties. The Oliver roughing and the Dawkins silly penalty were bad. 

4- Special teams in general were a bit shaky. The fake punt is the glaring example but the Jets also got a couple of big returns. Bass also missed a PAT that kept it a two score game. Not a tragic game but ST was by far the weakest of the three units.

Other than that what can you complain about? They put up 32 against a top ranked defense and the defense held them to 6 points and created multiple turnovers. The offense looked a lot better.

2. That's not going to have been Brady's call.

3. The Roughing is by rule roughing he landed on him though it definitely wasn't late. The Dawkins call was BS that penalty should have gone the other way, the refs just seemed to get salty that Dawkins was enjoying that he was about to get one and penalized him for it.

4. I thought our return coverage was pretty good wasn't it? They got that fumble and stuffed him a bunch of times I think they even stopped taking out on Kick off. Also once again Bass was 5/6 and hit all of the longer kicks and missed one XP he was fine.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that the offense was outstanding. However, it was improved and had better flow than previous weeks. Defense put them in some good situations which they need to convert that into TDs. However, the winning formula for remainder of the season is for the offense to get early leads and allow the defense to force teams into becoming one dimensional.

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I actually hated they went for the Hail Mary. I think it could’ve gone a longer way to have Josh go an entire game without a turnover than throwing up a prayer that has a higher likelihood of getting intercepted (which it did) than something positive happening. Perhaps take the snap with the intention of going for the Hail Mary, but as soon as the jets lineman got through (they only rushed 3, how did 2 of them get through) and the play at the line broke down, just take your 10-15 rush and get out of the half

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.