Bills fans are tough on coaches.!

SloanBillsFan

5 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Just because the prostitute down the street did a good job for you the past few years, but never could get the job done don't mean you have to keep paying her when her services are old and tired. You replace her with a new one with more skills right down the street!  

Roxanne

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

This is not a Bills fan thing, its an NFL thing.

Pat Kirwan keeps count of how many coaches have been fired in the AFC East since BB has been coaching, the number is well into the 20's.

Seems low

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't think Bills fans are tougher on coaches than anyone else. Right now I think we expect to see a well run, well disciplined team and we don't see that. We see stupid sloppy errors that are costing them games. Not talent issues or physical errors, mental errors. The sort of errors that teams that are generally considered to be well coached don't see. They also see the team frequently starting slowly and in a malaise, indicating that they aren't ready to play and/or that the game plan was poorly conceived. At this point McDermott is a veteran coach. People get pissy with dumb mistakes.

Eagle fans rode Andy Reid's clock management, horrible press conferences, and failure in big games for years.

rightly so

8 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

82 percent of people want the coach who ended a 17 year drought, and has been to the playoffs 5/6 years gone. 

who wouldn’t love a guy that gets slightly above average results out of a squad that’s been elite for large portions of that 

6 hours ago, boater said:

The years of despair. Here are some names to stir up bad memories:

Gregg Williams

Mike Mularkey

Dick Jauron

Perry Fewell

Chan Gailey

Doug Marrone

Rex Ryan

Remember... those coaches were ostensibly the best hire available, the hottest name of those willing to move to WNY.

When I assess the performance of the current regime, I contrast it with the above names. If you fire McDermott and replace him with the newest fad best hire available, it is statistically likely you hire a dud and we're back to years of futility.

frankly, you hand nearly any of those guys this squad and we are at worst a wild card team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

82 percent of people want the coach who ended a 17 year drought, and has been to the playoffs 5/6 years gone. 

Eh. Pederson got Philly a Lombardi and got canned. 

Tampa Bay got a ring under Gruden immediately on the success of a Dungy and Rich McKay built team… Could very well happen here. 

Then you have Shottenheimer’s success without doing anything in the playoffs… Canned. 

Winning in the regular season is all fine and well but doesn’t translate to the goal you start a season at obtaining. 

34 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

frankly, you hand nearly any of those guys this squad and we are at worst a wild card team

Everyone except Rex. He ruined a top 5 defense in one year…

Edited by BBFL

On 11/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah because 82% of fans realize he is extremely limited in how deep he can take a team.  Sometimes continuity is more appealing than the ultimate goal.  I want a HC that can take Josh to a Lombardi.  If it means we don't have a top 5 defense,  so be it.  Besides every fanbase complains about their coaches, except KC.

People said the same thing about Andy Reid for decades. You know how that goes away?  By making it false. Sometimes it can take multiple teams and decades tho.

Edited by Big Turk

On 11/17/2023 at 2:20 PM, SloanBillsFan said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/buffalo-bills-head-coach-record

Sitting in my endocrinologist office I started trying to remember all the head coaches since I moved to WNY. I remembered Jauron, Gailey, and Marone. Forgot (subliminally) about Ryan. 

At the bottom the search return was a link which read 18 more 🤯 Aside from Marv Levy and Sean McDermott not a single coach lasted more than a couple of years. Holy Schnikes!

Greg Williams is 3rd with 4 seasons. Everyone else is 1-3 seasons and gone. I didn't look at other teams but dang! For Buffalo that's a head coaching change every 2.8 years.

No wonder everybody's so quick to chop heads every couple of years. Granted I know why 6 of the last 7 didn't last but still, dang! 

Wow

It could be worse, The Jets have only 1 winning coach since the 70’s. That’s sad

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/17/2023 at 2:37 PM, Livinginthepast said:

I was thinking how McD gets a lot of love because even though he may not be the one to take use to the promised land, he is still so much better than several in the drought. You cant get worse than arrogant stupidity of Williams, the angry dysfunction of St.Doug, the bumbling ineptitude of Rex or the 1000 yard stare of Dick Jauron!

Which of the past coaches had a stud QB?  How do all these other coaches look with JA17 at the helm? None of them had a QB that ultimately led to their firings IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Not tough enough as exemplified by the crap show that is the 2023 season, featuring our QB taking a step back, our overwhelmed OC getting fired after again shepherding 1/2 a season of  low scoring, our defense gagging up losses to inferior losing teams(NE,Denver) and finally his boneheaded decisions like a bad review on 9 yd completion, benching Cook after fumbling even though the game plan against Denver is running the ball and it took a half to get to it, not having a screen game and on and on.

Sitting in my endocrinologist office I started trying to remember all the head coaches since I moved to WNY. I remembered Jauron, Gailey, and Marone. Forgot (subliminally) about Ryan. 

At the bottom the search return was a link which read 18 more 🤯 Aside from Marv Levy and Sean McDermott not a single coach lasted more than a couple of years. Holy Schnikes!

Greg Williams is 3rd with 4 seasons. Everyone else is 1-3 seasons and gone. I didn't look at other teams but dang! For Buffalo that's a head coaching change every 2.8 years.

No wonder everybody's so quick to chop heads every couple of years. Granted I know why 6 of the last 7 didn't last but still, dang! 

Wow

Knox 5 seasons

On 11/17/2023 at 7:55 PM, Araiza Curse said:

Is this a load of Mularkey or is it the truth? 

My opinion at the time was Mularkey thought Marv would find an excuse to fire him & name himself coach. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Wow

And every coach that had success, either a winning record or playoff appearances, their replacement was always worse!

The Bills had 5 losing coaches between Lou Saban's two stints. One losing coach after Saban before Chuck Knox came. 2 losing coaches between Knox and Marv Levy.

Only Wade Phillips had a winning record and playoff appearances after Marv Levy. But after Wade , we had 7 duds (8 if you count Anthony Lynn) before McDermott.

And yet, we are so eager to fire McDermott because we are positive the next guy is going to win it all for us 😂

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/17/2023 at 1:35 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

McDermott's been here for what, 7 years now?

That's more than most coaches get

Thank god we have the Pegs as owners because if they weren't the fans would have had him as the eagles said in a song Already Gone ...

I think some fans here are gluttons for punishment they love to win but that's not even good enough so send them down the road no matter their record . It's like there are those here that love to have the unstable HC ing position and a team in constant flux rather than a team that is in the hunt every year .

Welcome to Bills country .

20 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

My opinion at the time was Mularkey thought Marv would find an excuse to fire him & name himself coach. 

I don't see how he could have done that. When Ralph asked Marv to be GM, Marv said that he'd rather coach. Ralph responded, "No chance."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.