Road to the Playoffs

steven50

Idk I feel pitta loses they are done for sure.  

indy I see losing in atl but I could be optimistic - atl defense is coming along strong and playing for a playoff spot too

cincy idk if it’s luck or what but sheesh it’s so weird with them

browns the same way - I can’t get a read on anyone 

Denver and the colts for me are the ones I’m hoping choke 

8 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Idk I feel pitta loses they are done for sure.  

indy I see losing in atl but I could be optimistic - atl defense is coming along strong and playing for a playoff spot too

cincy idk if it’s luck or what but sheesh it’s so weird with them

browns the same way - I can’t get a read on anyone 

Changing it to ATL over Colts doesnt change anything in the scenario.

Cinci is a mix of good skill positions and a QB playing well that teams didn't have film on probably. I don't see them losing to the Vikings or Pitts.  I have them losing to KC.  I have them beating the Browns but even if the Browns win, it doesn't change anything for the Bills.

Browns are winning on defense and good run game.  Flacco also played well.  I don't see them losing to the Bears or the Jets.  However, there are a couple I feel they could lose but I coin flipped em because I felt they could go either way.  Strike that ... I coin flipped and had them beating Texans while them losing Cinci.

Edited by Scott7975

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Lets see if any of this looks unrealistic to anyone and if so what games they would change...

Week 15

Cinci over Vikings

Colts over Pitts

Detroit over Denver

Browns over Bears

Ravens over Jags

Texans over Titans

Week 16

Cinci over Pitts

Jags over Tampa

Browns over Texans

Denver over Pats

Colts over Atlanta

49ers over Ravens

Week 17

Browns over Jets

Seattle over Pitts

Colts over Raiders

KC over Cinci

Jags over Panthers

Denver over Chargers

Titans over Texans

Week 18

Denver over Raiders

Ravens over Pitts

Cinci over Browns

Colts over Texans

Jags over Titans

It all looks realistic to me but I bolded games that I think could go the other way. Well over half the games as you can see.

One thing that is looking interesting to me, is don't sleep on the Broncos winning out and the Chiefs losing 2 of 4. Such a scenario could have the Chiefs missing the playoffs. I really like what I am seeing from Browning and the Bengals. That game could be a loss for KC. Then they just have to find one more loss out of the Patriots, Raiders and Chargers. Seems unlikely but with the way the Chiefs are playing i wouldn't be totally shocked if they drop one out of three. Curious how motived the Pats will be this week playing at home after all the reports about Bill leaving after the year. 

Broncos have one of the easiest schedules remaining and could win out if they can get past Detroit this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Changing it to ATL over Colts doesnt change anything in the scenario.

Cinci is a mix of good skill positions and a QB playing well that teams didn't have film on probably. I don't see them losing to the Vikings or Pitts.  I have them losing to KC.  I have them beating the Browns but even if the Browns win, it doesn't change anything for the Bills.

Browns are winning on defense and good run game.  Flacco also played well.  I don't see them losing to the Bears or the Jets.  However, there are a couple I feel they could lose but I coin flipped em because I felt they could go either way.  

I gotta disagree on the jets

rhat could be a defensive slug fest - and I don’t see Flacco beating the jets.  Jets get short fields I see the winning there.  

I also given the Vikings more credit - and with Jefferson returning ?  They won’t be losing to the bengals 

I also feel we could be seeing the Jets beat the dolphins with Wilson back

they should have won the first time around imo but selah hates Wilson lol

I also wonder after this weeks 3-0 embarrassment If the raiders play with more pride?

knock odd Denver perhaps?  I’m still not sold on their “run”

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It all looks realistic to me but I bolded games that I think could go the other way. Well over half the games as you can see.

One thing that is looking interesting to me, is don't sleep on the Broncos winning out and the Chiefs losing 2 of 4. Such a scenario could have the Chiefs missing the playoffs. I really like what I am seeing from Browning and the Bengals. That game could be a loss for KC. Then they just have to find one more loss out of the Patriots, Raiders and Chargers. Seems unlikely but with the way the Chiefs are playing i wouldn't be totally shocked if they drop one out of three. Curious how motived the Pats will be this week playing at home after all the reports about Bill leaving after the year. 

Broncos have one of the easiest schedules remaining and could win out if they can get past Detroit this weekend. 

Ok I gotta say I think you made some bold upset picks on some of them.  I plugged them in though and the Bills still dont get in that way.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Ok I gotta say I think you made some bold upset picks on some of them.  I plugged them in though and the Bills still dont get in that way.

Well only half of them will likely hit. Many of the games you picked are toss up games as well. As are mine. So realistically I would say a split down the middle is accurate. But then you have to choose the correct ones. Impossible. 

13 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I gotta disagree on the jets

rhat could be a defensive slug fest - and I don’t see Flacco beating the jets.  Jets get short fields I see the winning there.  

I also given the Vikings more credit - and with Jefferson returning ?  They won’t be losing to the bengals 

I also feel we could be seeing the Jets beat the dolphins with Wilson back

they should have won the first time around imo but selah hates Wilson lol

I think its unlikely Jets beat the Browns but I'll play it and see what happens.  It could happen but lets see if it helps.

I totally disagree on Vikings beating Cinci. They just played a boring ass 3-0 game against the Raiders.  Vikings are not good without Cousins. But ill plug it in.

Jets/Dolphins doesn't matter for the exercise like I said.  This is all about IF the Bills don't win the division then how tough would it be to get a wildcard.

I did plug those in and Bills still dont get in.

8 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Well only half of them will likely hit. Many of the games you picked are toss up games as well. As are mine. So realistically I would say a split down the middle is accurate. But then you have to choose the correct ones. Impossible. 

Of course.  I'm not knocking your picks.  I just thought a few were pretty bold.  I plugged them in anyhow just like you had em.

Edited by Scott7975

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Um, if that happened I would never watch football again because that would be rigging the impossible ha.

I think any division winner who does not have a winning record (though harder now with 17 games) should forfeit their spot in the playoffs and it should go to the team with the overall best record. And even wildcard teams must have a winning record.

In practice that could mean this year as of now only 5 NFC teams make it:

San Fran

Dallas

Phili

Detroit

Minnesota

My format for NFC wildcard:

Texans (7-6)

Bengals (7-6)

AFC Division winners:

Miami

Chiefs

Ravens

Jags

Wildcard (Traditional):

Cleveland (8-5)

Pittsburgh (7-6)

Indianapolis (7-6)

Yep, that's right. The teams who fail to make it as a wildcard in their own conference can go to the other conference to qualify. Who really wants to see the Packers play the Cowboys? Or the Eagles play the Bucs?

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

that's great. Bills are barely mentioned. The team can focus on winning and not headlines. If we win a bunch and go far maybe it shows we were wrong about McDermott.

If we choke, falter, or stumble we do the right thing and get rid of McChump.

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

I think any division winner who does not have a winning record (though harder now with 17 games) should forfeit their spot in the playoffs and it should go to the team with the overall best record. And even wildcard teams must have a winning record.

In practice that could mean this year as of now only 5 NFC teams make it:

San Fran

Dallas

Phili

Detroit

Minnesota

My format for NFC wildcard:

Texans (7-6)

Bengals (7-6)

AFC Division winners:

Miami

Chiefs

Ravens

Jags

Wildcard (Traditional):

Cleveland (8-5)

Pittsburgh (7-6)

Indianapolis (7-6)

Yep, that's right. The teams who fail to make it as a wildcard in their own conference can go to the other conference to qualify. Who really wants to see the Packers play the Cowboys? Or the Eagles play the Bucs?

I mean I get that noone wants to see some loser teams in the playoffs, I don't either but they aren't going to change that.  Division winners are always going to make it. You didn't like Seattle hosting the Saints at 7-9 and winning lol.

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I mean I get that noone wants to see some loser teams in the playoffs, I don't either but they aren't going to change that.  Division winners are always going to make it. You didn't like Seattle hosting the Saints at 7-9 and winning lol.

i just think it'd be awesome to watch Houston go into the NFC and get to the NFCC and play San Fran. Houston could beat Phili and Dallas

Texans are probably going to lose at least 2 more games so that takes them out of the wildcard race.

Steelers are done.

Bengals unfortunately are very much in it. I think they will beat Vikings and Steelers, so they would need to lose the last two against Chiefs and Browns to get them to 9-8.

Browns are not losing 3 out of their last 4 so might as well root for them to win out.

Colts have a very easy finish - Falcons, Steelers, Raiders, Texans. I think they'll go 3-1 and make a wildcard spot. I wouldn't be shocked to see them steal the division and push Jags to a wildcard spot.

Unfortunately the Broncos have a very easy finish too. Lions, Pats, Chargers, Raiders. 3-1 is my guess so they're in.

Our 10-7 wildcard chances depend on 2 of the Broncos, Bengals, or Colts losing a game they should win. Taking the division is our best bet, even at 10-7 because I think the Dolphins losing 2 of their next 3 is more likely than one of the presumed wildcard teams slipping up.

Most realistic path IMO is we lose to Cowboys but win out the rest of the way, and Dolphins lose 2 of Jets/Cowboys/Ravens.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, I'm more focused on the division now.  We just need to gain one more game.

The real irony is...Miami could lose their next three games and still win the East if they beat us Week 18.

Nothing ironic about it. The Bills put themselves in this spot by losing games to teams they shouldn’t - Pats, Denver , Jets. The Dolphins, up until their meltdown vs TEN had handled the lesser teams consistently. The Bills have a shot at the division now, but very little margin for error. The Fish have a tough schedule , but can afford a couple losses. Should be interesting down the stretch. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Texans are probably going to lose at least 2 more games so that takes them out of the wildcard race.

Steelers are done.

Bengals unfortunately are very much in it. I think they will beat Vikings and Steelers, so they would need to lose the last two against Chiefs and Browns to get them to 9-8.

Browns are not losing 3 out of their last 4 so might as well root for them to win out.

Colts have a very easy finish - Falcons, Steelers, Raiders, Texans. I think they'll go 3-1 and make a wildcard spot. I wouldn't be shocked to see them steal the division and push Jags to a wildcard spot.

Unfortunately the Broncos have a very easy finish too. Lions, Pats, Chargers, Raiders. 3-1 is my guess so they're in.

Our 10-7 wildcard chances depend on 2 of the Broncos, Bengals, or Colts losing a game they should win. Taking the division is our best bet, even at 10-7 because I think the Dolphins losing 2 of their next 3 is more likely than one of the presumed wildcard teams slipping up.

Most realistic path IMO is we lose to Cowboys but win out the rest of the way, and Dolphins lose 2 of Jets/Cowboys/Ravens.

I've been saying that for awhile. 10-7 will not get the Bills in the playoffs unless it's the division. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nothing ironic about it. The Bills put themselves in this spot by losing games to teams they shouldn’t - Pats, Denver , Jets. The Dolphins, up until their meltdown vs TEN had handled the lesser teams consistently. The Bills have a shot at the division now, but very little margin for error. The Fish have a tough schedule , but can afford a couple losses. Should be interesting down the stretch. 

Well, I meant ironic as in the full three game swing.  We could be a game back, tied, or a game ahead, and it would all still come down to that game.  The result of us winning the first one, and them having the better division record.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I've been saying that for awhile. 10-7 will not get the Bills in the playoffs unless it's the division. 

Yep. Me too.  I been saying it since the Denver game.  People still want to fight it as if by some magic these teams are all going to remove each other.

• Agree 1

Don’t forget the old NFL motto.  It’s not who you play but when you play them.  And the Raiders are looking rejuvenated at the perfect time to pick off a couple teams we need them to. And the Bills get to play this version of the Chargers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Don’t forget the old NFL motto.  It’s not who you play but when you play them.  And the Raiders are looking rejuvenated at the perfect time to pick off a couple teams we need them to. And the Bills get to play this version of the Chargers.

Ya but then this team just got embarrassed and will want to show fight next week with extra time 

2 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

Ya but then this team just got embarrassed and will want to show fight next week with extra time 

I said pretty much the same thing in the other thread, and other posters said no chance.  But i agree. hate playing a team coming off this type of thumping.   But id still rather play this version than the one that had Herbert and was in shootouts with Detroit and Miami.

• Agree 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:10 AM, Scott7975 said:

It's not that for me really.  I actually do trust this team to win.  Dallas is going to be a tough game, but in Josh Allen I trust.  It's just that so many teams are so close that not winning the division is going to be really tough.  I was going to revisit my old thread to put a scenario and see if people think its actually unrealistic.  Because I believe its really realistic.  Thing is even if you change a few games, it just changes those teams and still leaves the Bills out.  I'm just going to put it here though since my thread is pages and pages back. 

Keep in mind that I think we can absolutely win the division as I think Miami is going to lose more games.  This is just for the sake of argument that Miami surprises and actually wins out while we lose to Dallas.  Im only going to put up the games that matter and just assume Miami wins the division.  Lets see if any of this looks unrealistic to anyone and if so what games they would change...

Week 15

Cinci over Vikings

Colts over Pitts

Detroit over Denver

Browns over Bears

Ravens over Jags

Texans over Titans

Week 16

Cinci over Pitts

Jags over Tampa

Browns over Texans

Denver over Pats

Colts over Atlanta

49ers over Ravens

Week 17

Browns over Jets

Seattle over Pitts

Colts over Raiders

KC over Cinci

Jags over Panthers

Denver over Chargers

Titans over Texans

Week 18

Denver over Raiders

Ravens over Pitts

Cinci over Browns

Colts over Texans

Jags over Titans

Again, I think we have a good shot at winning the division.  This exercise is just to show how difficult it is to get in without winning the division.  Is there anything in there that anyone would change.  There are a couple scenarios where the Bills make it, but there are also a lot that they don't.  This is just my list of gut feeling on how games could play out.  In this scenario the Bills would not make it.  Obviously, I could see some games going another way but I had to pick someone.

It honestly all depends on how the rest of the season plays out.  Both teams can make the playoffs.  There is a huge tie in the AFC right now which is why getting a WC is so difficult this year.

Sorry if I didn't see this and you seem to be on it, for anyone that know for this weekend only, who are we rooting for to win between 

Pittsburgh vs Indianpolis and Baltimore and Jacksonville

The others are obvious Minnesota, Detroit, Tennessee, Jets, Tennessee, New England and Bears.  Majority are underdogs/long shots.

8 minutes ago, BB2004 said:

Sorry if I didn't see this and you seem to be on it, for anyone that know for this weekend only, who are we rooting for to win between 

Pittsburgh vs Indianpolis and Baltimore and Jacksonville

The others are obvious Minnesota, Detroit, Tennessee, Jets, Tennessee, New England and Bears.  Majority are underdogs/long shots.

kinda changes every week because all these teams are staying even and no one is running away. I dunno about pitts and indi but I think we want the jags winning their division. We don’t want to compete with them for a wc if we don’t win ours. Ravens are pretty much a lock anyhow. I’ll look at it when I get home. 

Edited by Scott7975

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

kinda changes every week because all these teams are staying even and no one is running away. I dunno about pitts and indi but I think we want the jags winning their division. We don’t want to compete with them for a wc if we don’t win ours. Ravens are pretty much a lock anyhow. I’ll look at it when I get home. 

Who cares about the Jags winning the division vs Houston? Jags are going to lose this weekend, and then if they go 1-2 the remaining games they will miss the playoffs altogether.

• Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Who cares about the Jags winning the division vs Houston? Jags are going to lose this weekend, and then if they go 1-2 the remaining games they will miss the playoffs altogether.

Unlikely that happens with their schedule. It's funny how many say the Bills will win out yet all these other teams are only going to win 1 game left. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Unlikely that happens with their schedule. It's funny how many say the Bills will win out yet all these other teams are only going to win 1 game left. 

Agreed, and I have no idea why anyone would care about the Jags at this point anyway. They will make the playoffs one way or the other. 

If anything, their continued slide into the wild card race would seem to be a bad development for Buffalo as we would now have another team that owns the tiebreaker over us. At least we haven't played and lost to Houston or Indy. 

What am I missing here? 

Edited by buffblue
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

Agreed, and I have no idea why anyone would care about the Jags at this point anyway. They will make the playoffs one way or the other. 

If anything, their continued slide into the wild card race would seem to be a bad development for Buffalo as we would now have another team that owns the tiebreaker over us. At least we haven't played and lost to Houston or Indy. 

What am I missing here? 

You answered your own question.  This is why we care about the Jags.  If they win the division the head to head against them doesn't matter as far as wc goes.

Edited by Scott7975

On 12/14/2023 at 4:41 PM, Jrb1979 said:

Its amazing how there are still people that think 10-7 is a sure in but can't post a reasonable scenario or even argue against the scenario I posted.  It's like they don't even look at a simulator at all and just trust some 53% vegas like odds or past history of 10 win teams making it.  This is not those years. Those years didn't have a 6 way tie for spots plus a team 1 game ahead and a team 1 game behind this late in the season.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its amazing how there are still people that think 10-7 is a sure in but can't post a reasonable scenario or even argue against the scenario I posted.  It's like they don't even look at a simulator at all and just trust some 53% vegas like odds or past history of 10 win teams making it.  This is not those years. Those years didn't have a 6 way tie for spots plus a team 1 game ahead and a team 1 game behind this late in the season.

IMO many seem to look at the NY Times one and just look at percentages. I use the ESPN one and it'such better. It also gives you an idea of each teams schedule. That's the big thing. All the teams ahead of the Bills have easy schedules. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

IMO many seem to look at the NY Times one and just look at percentages. I use the ESPN one and it'such better. It also gives you an idea of each teams schedule. That's the big thing. All the teams ahead of the Bills have easy schedules. 

Same.  Just go through the games and select the team winner that makes sense and youll see how hard it actually is to get in at 10-7.  Its like a coin flip and that to me is not good odds.  Especially when that coin flip is weighted towards teams losing games they shouldn't.

I've just been focusing on less perfect scenarios, looking at ways beyond going on a 5 win streak to close the season. Some other scenarios include:

Scenario 1 - Bills lose to the Cowboys and Dolphins. There's still a lot of ways the Bills could make the playoffs, mainly because a lot of the 7-6 teams play each other. 

Scenario 2 - Bills beat the Cowboys, but inexplicably lose a game to the Chargers OR Patriots, as well as the Dolphins. Pretty similar to Scenario 1, though a Browns collapse gave me way more results with the Bills making it in. 

Scenario 3 (BEST) - Bills lose to the Cowboys, but go on to win their next 3 games. Aside from winning out, this is the option that offers the most flexibility (shocker, 3 wins is better than 2 wins). After messing with the playoff simulator for what feels like millions of hours, you get a ton of ways the Bills make it in. 

You could have all 4 NFC North teams finish above .500, Dolphins still take the AFC East, plus both the Jags & Texans getting in, and the Bills at 10-7 would still make it in under most scenarios. As long as the Broncos *OR* Texans lose 2 x games, 10 wins is VERY LIKELY to get the Bills in.

If not, teams like the Colts, Texans, Broncos and the Browns *OR* Bengals *OR* Steelers all finish 10-7, the Bills get in. We just couldn't have 3 x teams in the AFC North at 10-7 or better (in this scenario). Thankfully, a lot of these 7-6 teams play each other to close the year. 

Week 15: Steelers at Colts 

Week 16: Bengals at Steelers / Browns at Texans

Week 17: Bengals at Chiefs (even if the Bills finish 9-8, a Chiefs win here with the rest of the matchups could still get us in with the first 2 scenarios)

Week 18: Browns at Bengals / Texans at Colts

Note: One game to really watch is week 18 Steelers at Ravens. If the Ravens & Chiefs both keep winning, Baltimore may be resting starters here, which could really hurt us.

32 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I've just been focusing on less perfect scenarios, looking at ways beyond going on a 5 win streak to close the season. Some other scenarios include:

Scenario 1 - Bills lose to the Cowboys and Dolphins. There's still a lot of ways the Bills could make the playoffs, mainly because a lot of the 7-6 teams play each other. 

Scenario 2 - Bills beat the Cowboys, but inexplicably lose a game to the Chargers OR Patriots, as well as the Dolphins. Pretty similar to Scenario 1, though a Browns collapse gave me way more results with the Bills making it in. 

Scenario 3 (BEST) - Bills lose to the Cowboys, but go on to win their next 3 games. Aside from winning out, this is the option that offers the most flexibility (shocker, 3 wins is better than 2 wins). After messing with the playoff simulator for what feels like millions of hours, you get a ton of ways the Bills make it in. 

You could have all 4 NFC North teams finish above .500, Dolphins still take the AFC East, plus both the Jags & Texans getting in, and the Bills at 10-7 would still make it in under most scenarios. As long as the Broncos *OR* Texans lose 2 x games, 10 wins is VERY LIKELY to get the Bills in.

If not, teams like the Colts, Texans, Broncos and the Browns *OR* Bengals *OR* Steelers all finish 10-7, the Bills get in. We just couldn't have 3 x teams in the AFC North at 10-7 or better (in this scenario). Thankfully, a lot of these 7-6 teams play each other to close the year. 

Week 15: Steelers at Colts 

Week 16: Bengals at Steelers / Browns at Texans

Week 17: Bengals at Chiefs (even if the Bills finish 9-8, a Chiefs win here with the rest of the matchups could still get us in with the first 2 scenarios)

Week 18: Browns at Bengals / Texans at Colts

Note: One game to really watch is week 18 Steelers at Ravens. If the Ravens & Chiefs both keep winning, Baltimore may be resting starters here, which could really hurt us.

There are also a lot of scenarios that they don't.  I play with the machine a lot too.  Like I said earlier... it's a coinflip.  That to me is not a good chance.  Thats a pray Dalton makes an unlikely game winning TD on 4th down type chance IMO.  Basically hoping for teams like the Bears beating the Browns and Minesota beating Cinci.  Can happen but it would be an upset IMO, even with backup QBs. Getting in at 9 wins is definitely not going to happen.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.