DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

Curious what this offense looks like under Brady? The Sean Payton and LSU/Burrow connections are intriguing. 

Maybe we go on a tear. Josh throws 30 TD's and no INT's the rest of the season. Maybe Dorian Williams is the next Ray Lewis!

LFG!

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You understand how insane it is to pretend his first 2 seasons he was set up to succeed?  Kelvin Benjamin was his #1 WR when he was drafted.  We had no talent on this roster and Allen came from a small school and was totally raw.  

People like you like to lump in his career totals so you can use those early years to mask the last 3 years where he was an MVP finalist all 3.  Its insane.  

News flash:  Coming into 2023, Allen only had 4 more INTs than Mahomes and 3 more than Burrow over the past 2 regular seasons.  And Mahomes had more talent around him and a much better OL along with Andy Reid.  Burrow had an elite cast of weapons.  And Allen played half of one of those seasons with an injured throwing elbow.  

Bonus news flash:  Josh has 10 more (which is DOUBLE) the amount of TD's than Burrow and a lower turnover rate than Burrow in the post season despite only playing 1 more game than him.  

Allen is not the problem. 

Thank you for always being the voice of reason. 

I've been calling for Brady to replace him for a bit now. When we hired Brady, I thought it was for this same reason. 

That being said, what are your expectations for these next 7 games?

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

genuinely asking..... ive seen here a bunch that beane cant fire mcd. does he have authority to fire dorsey? or did he rather? confusing power structure

even if we think mcd did it, did beane have power to do it outside of recommending or insisting?

we’ve all been following the Beane and McDermott relationship right? It actually feels like one of the best in the NFL. Beane’s primary job is to get players needed to fulfill a vision of winning a Super Bowl based on certain base concepts of what you want your defense and offense to look like.

McDermotts job is to execute that vision with the players he’s provided by specifically setting schemes on both sides of the ball, while filling out his coaching staff to help him get there.

The reality is these two men influence each other greatly and I doubt much big picture stuff happens without them collaborating. While Beane will have final say on player personnel and contracts, and McDermott has final say on his coaches and how he uses those players, this isn’t done in a vacuum.

With Dorse, that’s McDermotts decision, but I gotta imagine he talked it over with Beane before making a final choice.

But all in all this seems like a really great relationship and one isn’t gonna disrespect the other in terms of overstepping responsibilities in a vacuum

Edited by appoo
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The playcalling decisions were just as questionable as the scheme, maybe more so.  It felt like Dorsey was picking them at random instead of trying to establish a gameflow. 

I dunno - we left a lot of meat on the bone. I'll have to see the A22 first. Bottom line is poor execution in on the players until the same things that are being poorly executed become habit - that's on coaching.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

It is interesting you include total TD for Allen but then only rely on INT's without including fumbles. turnovers This is Allens 5th year averaging over a turn over per game or more. This is Mahomes 2nd and Burrow has only done it once. Both Mahomes and Burrow have been at 1.0 but never over.

I think there is room for a lot of things to be true at the same time. 

We need better WR's.
We need better coaching.
Allen needs to do better at taking care of the football in the air and on the ground. 

No, the playoff numbers are TOTAL turnovers because Allen has 0 playoff fumbles.  Allen has 20 TD's to 4 total turnovers in 8 playoff games...literally double the TD-TO ratio of Burrow who only has 10 TD's with 4 Turnovers.  

I mentioned INT's in the regular season because that is all anyone is talking about with Allen right now, interceptions.  Yes he had some fumbles which makes his turnovers stats higher, but he was also being run like a FB for several years.  

No one is saying Allen doesn't need to be better at taking care of the ball, the point is the two guys commonly rated above him in Mahomes and Burrow have had a lot more to work with and only thrown a few less INT's than Allen in the regular season coming into this year.  And Allen had a lot more working against him those 2 years too with an OC change, injury to his throwing arm, bad weather at home, and less talent to work with.  

And come playoff time, turnovers are NOT the reason the Bills have been eliminated from the playoffs...not once has it been because of an Allen turnover.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You do know that his combined stats over his first two seasons aren't his worst two years right? He's been consistently poor at this the whole time

Why would you say this when there are objective stats that will blow up your argument instantly?

Allen is not the sole problem, but he's a massive part of it. He's a wild animal of a player that needs to be effectively controlled and released when needed if he's going to find any sustained success in this league and we don't have a coaching staff capable of doing that.

image.png

Again, he only has like 4 more INT's than Mahomes and 3 more than Burrow during the past 2 seasons coming into this year. And he has never cost us a single playoff game from a turnover with only 4 career turnovers.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Indeed.

I remember a certain diminutive QB who had the habit of saying "I" when we won and "we" when we lost.

YES!  

It took a while that first year to realize it, but Flutie did it ALL the time.  "I" threw a touchdown.  "We" fumbled.  He couldn't help himself.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Interesting.

McDermott feeling the heat.

100%

Two years ago the special teams coordinator was the scapegoat.

Last year, Leslie.

This year, Dorsey.

McDermott put this staff together. He should be next.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I doubt we will see new stuff but the playbook is more than what Dorsey was running  They can come in with a vision to try and run the ball, run some misdirection, move the pocket, more motion   Dorsey was stuck in one gear  What is sad is when they finally ran into the light box Denver showed all night they have great success but too little too late  Maybe Josh Allen's demeanor looks better and we can assume he and Dorsey were not on the same page  

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

If buffalo wants any chance at salvaging this season, they need Allen to be probably their best player.  This is an attempt to try and get that out of him.

That is the best response I have read in this thread.  Everyone is happy that Dorsey was canned.

But he was not making the throws.  Josh Allen is.  And he looks lost and indifferent about the entire mess.  That throw to the sideline at the end of the 1st half was ridiculously bad that was picked.  He missed Shakir who was wide open on 4th and 2.  He threw the same bad throw to Gabe on the sideline in the 2nd half.  And he should have been picked on the second or third series of the game if Singleton gets his foot down.  This is not the Josh Allen of the past 4 seasons.  The guy looks like a robot.  The big boy needs to get it together.  I don't see Mahomes or Burrow or a lot of supposed other real good NFL QB's playing like that for extended periods of time.  

Some new blood leading the offense is fine.  But the overall pale over the team is on McDermott.  Something happened on that London trip that really has sunk the offense.  We looked awful in the 1st half after playing a great game against Miami.  It has been a mess ever since.  McDermott should be coaching for his life at this point.  This week against the Jets will not be easy for our offense.  Their defense is nasty.  We need to come out playing with some bad intentions.  Because it will be a street fight.  And if we don't it will not end pretty for us.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

I dunno - we left a lot of meat on the bone.

I'm not going to pretend that the players aren't without some blame here, but to me it's tiny in comparison to the coaching staff.  

A not insignificant amount of Dorsey's playcalls never worked, and he kept hammering those same calls every game!  He was incapable of self-evaluating and saying "well this play hasn't worked for the guys on the field".  Maybe the plays are awesome for a different set of players or a different QB, I don't know, but I do know that Josh has had similar interceptions for the past few games in a row and Dorsey would stubbornly go right back to them. It's beyond frustrating. 

Allen's "I'm executing the plays as called" is very telling. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

This is the logical step.  McD can be canned after the season if needed.  Not realistic to fire the OC, DC and HC in one day.  That would be so dumb. 

My thought last night, IF I was Terry and was going to fire McD, I'd make Shula interim HC, Brady interim OC, and Bobby Babich interim DC, and see how it goes.

I'll take the Dorsey firing for now. Writing is on the wall for McD.

5 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Those of you expecting a wildly different offense in terms of scheme are going to be disappointed. He's going to run the exact same scheme Dorsey was running - you can't just scrap no confidence in what we are doing for a couple weeks now. Stef looked unamused and unengaged throughout the night last night.

That is exactly right.

No way to change the offense this late in the season. What needs to change is when to call certain plays. Run when you should run and the team is killing it like last night.  

Let Josh run.

Involve Diggs.  It was late in the game and they showed the huddle from behind.  Diggs came in late and left early (not by much), but his demeanor and look in his face was he was disinterested.  Sure enough, play was not to him.

Oh, and.  Let Josh run.  

Playbook is the playbook.  Play caller builds the game plan and calls plays to  his players strengths.  Certainly not what Dorsey was doing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.