Harbaugh to Bills (Would it work?)

M. Wrotto

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

It's almost as if some of you are happy he will be back

Settling for McDermott is what people that are resigned to never winning anything do.

Enjoy the brutal playoff losses every season 

Here's the thing. Many of us aren't happy or optimistic he will be back. We are just dealing in the reality that he WILL be back and there's really not anything we can do that changes that.

It's almost like some believe we get to like, take a vote or something. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

And we will keep ******** the bed in the playoffs. Amazing how many fans are ok with just being ok.

So far from you I learned Terry doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl and apparently I am ok with just being OK.  Amazing how you tell me how I feel and you know what Terry Pegula cares about.

Yes I know its a bummer, we lost but your emotional venting isnt going to change the outcome, maybe make you feel better I guess.

3 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

No, it was one of McDermott's best years as a coach.  This team does not nee a reload or redo, but some more pieces now that they clearly have two of the best coordinators in the league.

This is so delusional. The guy is 5-6 in the playoffs with 3 straight Divisional Round exits, can't beat elite QB's in the playoffs, is 0-3 vs the Chiefs in the playoffs while directly contributing to a complete chokejob that cost us one of those games himself...and you guys want more of this? It even goes beyond that with how many resources have been poured into his defense that gives it up in every big game and moment. 

How do you look at all this and say "I want more of that!" 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

If we make the switch - I'd go Vrabel or Belichick.

I think McDermott did a good job this year.  He really isn't a bad coach.  But it just feels like we might need a change.  It's unfortunate, but there is baggage w/ "McDermott's Bills" now.  A change at the HC position would give us a bit of a new lease, and some fresh energy.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I think McDermott did a good job this year.  He really isn't a bad coach.  But it just feels like we might need a change.  It's unfortunate, but there is baggage w/ "McDermott's Bills" now.  A change at the HC position would give us a bit of a new lease, and some fresh energy.

Very fair take and I think the "baggage" part is palpable.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

I don't get this either. How is he not a bad coach?

He has an elite QB that has played great in the playoffs outside of really 1 terrible game last year and still can't win even with the incredible amount of resources he's been given on his side of the ball that is a sieve every time we play a top QB in the playoffs. We've taken 3 Divisonal Round exists in a row, he single-handedly choked away the 13 seconds game. He hasn't learned anything in 7 years as a coach, he makes many of the same exact mistakes. He has trouble evaluating coaches that will make good coordinators. He has no clue what to do at the end of games after all this time. 

I honestly don't get it how people see him as a good coach. His side of the ball can't stop anyone in big games and he's a horrible in-game manager. There is nothing special about just making the playoffs with an elite QB. Most coaches could easily do that and many would have done more with 17 here.  

I'm really struggling here to see where people get this notion that he's a good coach. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I don't get this either. How is he not a bad coach?

He has an elite QB that has played great in the playoffs outside of really 1 terrible game last year and still can't win even with the incredible amount of resources he's been given on his side of the ball that is a sieve every time we play a top QB in the playoffs. We've taken 3 Divisonal Round exists in a row, he single-handedly choked away the 13 seconds game. He hasn't learned anything in 7 years as a coach, he makes many of the same exact mistakes. He has trouble evaluating coaches that will make good coordinators. He has no clue what to do at the end of games after all this time. 

I honestly don't get it how people see him as a good coach. His side of the ball can't stop anyone in big games and he's a horrible in-game manager. There is nothing special about just making the playoffs with an elite QB. Most coaches could easily do that and many would have done more with 17 here.  

I'm really struggling here to see where people get this notion that he's a good coach. 

It's all relative.  We can all see how coaching around the league is.

Reid is way better - but he's better than everyone.  There simply are not a lot of good or great coaches in this league. 

McDermott has clear strengths, imo.  The team is always prepared & motivated, and he gameplans well. Every single loss is close - so close.  We do not get blown out.  We'd be taking a chance hiring someone else, unless it was a proven guy like Belichick. Which I would support.  I think this team would win a SB with BB.

McDermott is a good coach and he deserves to continue based on the results he's gotten the last few years.  That said, I do agree with the above post that things may be getting stale and a new regime might bring some good energy to the team.  Maybe he's Tony Dungy with the Bucs (or the Marty Schottenheimer) of his era and they need another voice to get over the playoff hump.  On the other hand, maybe he's Andy Reid who suffered through years and years of playoff failures before finally getting over the hump and subsequently having amazing success.

I don't think that keeping him shows that Pegula doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl.  It means that Pegula likes having stability and continuity, annual division championships, playoff appearances, and a chance to contend every year.  Maybe one of those years, things will break the Bills' way (injury wise, or a critical bounce or call during a close playoff game) to get them over the hump.

For those who say he's a bad coach, the record speaks for itself.  They Bills win double-digit games every year and he was even able to squeak into the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman at QB.  They've bounced back from adversity and won a lot of big games.  He held a defense together with scissors and duct tape this season, given all of the injuries.  So yes, he's a good coach.  Is he good enough to win a Super Bowl with this Bills team?  I don't know.

Back to the original post, I am a Michigan grad and a huge fan of the team.  I love what Harbaugh has done there and he was extremely successful in San Francisco.  If I knew the Bills would be able to hire him, I'd consider him an upgrade over McDermott.  Harbaugh just has a better track record.  He's done more at multiple levels than McDermott has, so if the Bills were to guarantee replacing McDermott with Harbaugh, I'd do it.  That said, I just don't see him coming to Buffalo, so I think the question is moot.  I don't think that there are too many coaches out there better than McDermott (although Harbaugh is one of them), so sticking with a proven winner is not sexy or exciting, but not a terrible choice either.

Edited by msw2112

19 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So far from you I learned Terry doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl and apparently I am ok with just being OK.  Amazing how you tell me how I feel and you know what Terry Pegula cares about.

Yes I know its a bummer, we lost but your emotional venting isnt going to change the outcome, maybe make you feel better I guess.

So prove me wrong.  We will keep doing the same **** and get the same results.  Show me anything that is evidence to the contrary.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

It's all relative.  We can all see how coaching around the league is.

Reid is way better - but he's better than everyone.  There simply are not a lot of good or great coaches in this league. 

McDermott has clear strengths, imo.  The team is always prepared & motivated, and he gameplans well. Every single loss is close - so close.  We do not get blown out.  We'd be taking a chance hiring someone else, unless it was a proven guy like Belichick. Which I would support.  I think this team would win a SB with BB.

There is absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying about McD though.

We got blown out in 2020 and last year. And look at the amount of points his defense is allowing in these "close" losses you're talking about. 38 to the Chiefs the first time, 42 the second time, 27 yesterday in a year where they've been at their worst. The Bengals basically put the brakes on after they skewered us last year or that would be higher too. We also had a lot of trouble with the Colts in 2020 and we almost blew a game to Skylar Thompson last year. 

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say we're always prepared and motivated and that he gameplans well. Where is the evidence for this? We've been an unmitigated disaster in the playoffs on his side of the ball and with is in-game coaching. Especially this "preparation" part. McD is incredibly unprepared for big moments in the game. You got none of that from 13 seconds? Or not going for it on multiple 4th and 1's in 2020 when we couldn't stop KC at all? Or running an extremely poor designed punt fake last night? That's only the tip of the iceburg with this guy, and you know that. He has put in absolutely no work into improving himself as an in-game coach for over 7 years now. 

There literally isn't a strength that he has as a coach. Literally zero redeemable qualities. He's bailed out by having an elite QB that has had to do more with less because McD's side of the ball gets lit up in every single big game. 

This whole thing about him being a good coach is a totally false narrative that nobody really has any basis for. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Funny how when coaches and GM's talk about doing the best for the football organization when it comes to replacing players the ownership doesn't include coaches.  The quality of available coaches right now has probably never been seen before in the history of the NFL.  There are HC's available right now that are an upgrade over McD.  That's a fact, it simply is.  Need to hold these positions in the same regard as replacing players.  It should be a no brainer to pull the trigger in a roster turnover year to also replace the upper coaches/management as well.  

7 years of the same result is a LONG time in the NFL.  Time to move on and Harbaugh is a great choice if not the #1 choice.

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

So prove me wrong.  We will keep doing the same **** and get the same results.  Show me anything that is evidence to the contrary.

What do you mean "prove me wrong"? 

LOL  I dont have "evidence" of future results, sorry, so I guess I can't "prove you wrong".

Get a grip, we lost the game, deal with it and deal with the fact McDermott will be here next year.

5 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

McDermott is a good coach and he deserves to continue based on the results he's gotten the last few years.  That said, I do agree with the above post that things may be getting stale and a new regime might bring some good energy to the team.  Maybe he's Tony Dungy with the Bucs (or the Marty Schottenheimer) of his era and they need another voice to get over the playoff hump.  On the other hand, maybe he's Andy Reid who suffered through years and years of playoff failures before finally getting over the hump and subsequently having amazing success.

I don't think that keeping him shows that Pegula doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl.  It means that Pegula likes having stability and continuity, annual division championships, playoff appearances, and a chance to contend every year.  Maybe one of those years, things will break the Bills' way (injury wise, or a critical bounce or call during a close playoff game) to get them over the hump.

For those who say he's a bad coach, the record speaks for itself.  They Bills win double-digit games every year and he was even able to squeak into the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman at QB.  They've bounced back from adversity and won a lot of big games.  He held a defense together with scissors and duct tape this season, given all of the injuries.  So yes, he's a good coach.  Is he good enough to win a Super Bowl with this Bills team?  I don't know.

Back to the original post, I am a Michigan grad and a huge fan of the team.  I love what Harbaugh has done there and he was extremely successful in San Francisco.  If I knew the Bills would be able to hire him, I'd consider him an upgrade over McDermott.  Harbaugh just has a better track record.  He's done more at multiple levels than McDermott has, so if the Bills were to guarantee replacing McDermott with Harbaugh, I'd do it.  That said, I just don't see him coming to Buffalo, so I think the question is moot.  I don't think that there are too many coaches out there better than McDermott (although Harbaugh is one of them), so sticking with a proven winner is not sexy or exciting, but not a terrible choice either.

What big games have we won? Definitely not a "lot". We have been on the losing end far more in big games with McD here. 

How can he even be remotely compared to Andy Reid? The "playoff struggles" you're talking about with Reid in Philly were with McNabb who was not as good as Josh and those "struggles" entailed 4 straight NFC championship game appearances and a SB appearance. I won't even count the Tyrod year or Josh's second season against McD here...lets just look at his last 4 seasons - 1 AFC championship game and 3 straight Divisional Round exits. This is nowhere near comparable. 

He absolutely does not deserve to continue. He has had the majority of resources on his side of the ball that gets lit up in every big game. Literally every single one. His QB is playing lights out in some of these games that we are on the losing end of because of McD, one with 13 seconds that you can literally chalk up directly to him. He has not improved at all as an in-game coach for over 7 years. He's not good on his side of the ball and he's not a good in-game manager and he takes most of the resources for his side of the ball. 

There are MANY coaches that could do better with what we've had than him. We will never win big with McD here because he is one of the worst coaches in this league that has been bailed out time and time and time again. But you can only go so far with that, as we've seen. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And we will keep ******** the bed in the playoffs. Amazing how many fans are ok with just being ok.

They're not ok with it at all. Personally I'd love Harbaugh as coach, even though opinion on him in the pros is divided. But it just isn't happening so it's pointless. You might as well debate whether we should bring in Bill Belichick to be defensive coordinator, or whether we should trade Gabe for Justin Jefferson. This franchise went through 17 years of zero playoffs, they're not going to sack the guy who brought stability and has guided them to the playoffs all but 1 year of his tenure. 

Again, I think that's the wrong way for them to go and I'd love to take a shot on someone like Johnson in Detroit but it's not happening so we're better off thinking about how they can make the team better so the guy has a better chance to take us further next year

6 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

What big games have we won? Definitely not a "lot". We have been on the losing end far more in big games with McD here. 

How can he even be remotely compared to Andy Reid? The "playoff struggles" you're talking about with Reid in Philly were with McNabb who was not as good as Josh and those "struggles" entailed 4 straight NFC championship game appearances and a SB appearance. I won't even count the Tyrod year or Josh's second season against McD here...lets just look at his last 4 seasons - 1 AFC championship game and 3 straight Divisional Round exits. This is nowhere near comparable. 

He absolutely does not deserve to continue. He has had the majority of resources on his side of the ball that gets lit up in every big game. Literally every single one. His QB is playing lights out in some of these games that we are on the losing end of because of McD, one with 13 seconds that you can literally chalk up directly to him. He has not improved at all as an in-game coach for over 7 years. He's not good on his side of the ball and he's not a good in-game manager and he takes most of the resources for his side of the ball. 

There are MANY coaches that could do better with what we've had than him. We will never win big with McD here because he is one of the worst coaches in this league that has been bailed out time and time and time again. But you can only go so far with that, as we've seen. 

Thank you for saying that the way you did.  Reid with McNabb is completely different than Reid with Mahomes.  And Reid's record with less is still better than McD's.  You just did a mic drop with that post.  Even at the worst of times for Reid it's still not even close.

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

There is absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying about McD though.

We got blown out in 2020 and last year. And look at the amount of points his defense is allowing in these "close" losses you're talking about. 38 to the Chiefs the first time, 42 the second time, 27 yesterday in a year where they've been at their worst. The Bengals basically put the brakes on after they skewered us last year or that would be higher too. We also had a lot of trouble with the Colts in 2020 and we almost blew a game to Skylar Thompson last year. 

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say we're always prepared and motivated and that he gameplans well. Where is the evidence for this? We've been an unmitigated disaster in the playoffs on his side of the ball and with is in-game coaching. Especially this "preparation" part. McD is incredibly unprepared for big moments in the game. You got none of that from 13 seconds? Or not going for it on multiple 4th and 1's in 2020 when we couldn't stop KC at all? Or running an extremely poor designed punt fake last night? That's only the tip of the iceburg with this guy, and you know that. He has put in absolutely no work into improving himself as an in-game coach for over 7 years now. 

There literally isn't a strength that he has as a coach. Literally zero redeemable qualities. He's bailed out by having an elite QB that has had to do more with less because McD's side of the ball gets lit up in every single big game. 

This whole thing about him being a good coach is a totally false narrative that nobody really has any basis for. 

I don't think that McDermott is perfect, and I realize this is a subjective discussion and mostly opinion, but McDermott lead a team with Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman at QB, with a 17-year playoff drought, to a playoff berth.  After drafting a great QB, he's elevated the team to one that has double-digit wins every year and has 4 straight division championships.  This season, they've beaten playoff teams Dallas, Tampa, Kansas City, Miami (twice), and Pittsburgh.  They won 6 games in a row with the season on the line, winning the division, securing the #2 seed and 2 home playoff games.  They did that with McDermott serving as defensive coordinator with a defense that's been decimated by injuries.  They played Super Bowl Champion Kansas City very close in a one-possession game.  Free agents are willing to sign with Buffalo, a bad-weather rust belt city, often for less money than they could get elsewhere.

Are there better coaches?  Sure.  Is Andy Reid one of them.  Yes.  Might Jim Harbaugh or Bill Belichick be better?  Maybe.

The statements that McDermott lacks a single strength as a coach and has zero redeemable qualities are extreme and ridiculous.

The Bills aren't firing McDermott.

I don't know what else to say. 

Any discussion of what coaches would or wouldn't consider Buffalo is moot this offseason, because McDermott isn't going anywhere.

5 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

They're not ok with it at all. Personally I'd love Harbaugh as coach, even though opinion on him in the pros is divided. But it just isn't happening so it's pointless. You might as well debate whether we should bring in Bill Belichick to be defensive coordinator, or whether we should trade Gabe for Justin Jefferson. This franchise went through 17 years of zero playoffs, they're not going to sack the guy who brought stability and has guided them to the playoffs all but 1 year of his tenure. 

Again, I think that's the wrong way for them to go and I'd love to take a shot on someone like Johnson in Detroit but it's not happening so we're better off thinking about how they can make the team better so the guy has a better chance to take us further next year

I like Johnson, but Terry won't get rid of McDermott 

2 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I don't think that McDermott is perfect, and I realize this is a subjective discussion and mostly opinion, but McDermott lead a team with Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman at QB, with a 17-year playoff drought, to a playoff berth.  After drafting a great QB, he's elevated the team to one that has double-digit wins every year and has 4 straight division championships.  This season, they've beaten playoff teams Dallas, Tampa, Kansas City, Miami (twice), and Pittsburgh.  They won 6 games in a row with the season on the line, winning the division, securing the #2 seed and 2 home playoff games.  They did that with McDermott serving as defensive coordinator with a defense that's been decimated by injuries.  They played Super Bowl Champion Kansas City very close in a one-possession game.  Free agents are willing to sign with Buffalo, a bad-weather rust belt city, often for less money than they could get elsewhere.

Are there better coaches?  Sure.  Is Andy Reid one of them.  Yes.  Might Jim Harbaugh or Bill Belichick be better?  Maybe.

The statements that McDermott lacks a single strength as a coach and has zero redeemable qualities are extreme and ridiculous.

You basically want to give McDermott his flowers for making the playoffs. That was nice for when we sneaked in with Tyrod...in that season where McD played for the tie and admitted he had no idea a tie wouldn't help us, showing again his completely lack of preparation that he has always had and still does today...but that is not the same standard for when he has an elite QB. 

What about the fact that McD's side of the ball, with the incredible amount of resources he's had, gets lit up in EVERY big game in the playoffs? You're acting like this year was an anomaly because of the injuries...it's not. They were terrible last year, and the other two games against KC when the D was relatively healthy we gave up 42 and 38. That's not even mentioning 13 seconds in which he LITERALLY cost us the season. 

McDermott is 5-6 in the playoffs, 5-5 with Josh, 0-3 vs the Chiefs, 1-5 against the top QB's we've faced in Lamar, Deshaun, Mahomes, Burrow, and his defenses have given it up big in every single big moment and game. And that record is with Josh having played for the most part great in the playoffs. Just think about that, you have an elite QB that's played very well in the playoffs and he's 5-5...because a defensive coach gets his face rammed in every single January, especially by his daddy Andy. 

Just a simple question...how do you look at all of this and say "I want more of that!" 

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

Terry Pegula is too cheap to pay for a quality head coach not even worth talking about because it’s fantasy like a dome stadium ever being built in Buffalo or a playoff Buffalo Sabres team again in Buffalo. Guess who One Buffalo and Hockey Heaven what a con man owner Terry Pegula is sell the teams. It all starts at the top Terry Pegula and he is over the moon with Sean McDermott he won a 4th AFC East championship which meant 2 home playoff games. Terry Pegula is very satisfied because he made ROI and that is all that matters to him in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, phypon said:

Thank you for saying that the way you did.  Reid with McNabb is completely different than Reid with Mahomes.  And Reid's record with less is still better than McD's.  You just did a mic drop with that post.  Even at the worst of times for Reid it's still not even close.

Reid also won a lot of regular season games with Alex Smith, but didn't have playoff success.  You guys are missing the point.  I'm not saying that McDermott is a better coach than Reid.  He's not.  I'm simply comparing the fact that both coaches had a lot of regular season success and won some playoff games, but never took a team all the way.  Reid, with Mahomes, eventually got over the hump.  Will McDermott, given that he has Josh Allen?  Maybe, maybe not.  But to say that McDermott is a terrible coach with zero redeemable qualities is silly.

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Guess who Rex Ryan thinks the Bills should get...? (and no, it's not him)

Rex Ryan is only saying that because think about it. Who replaced Rex Ryan and accomplished what Rex Ryan couldn’t in Buffalo? Sean McDermott so I am sure there is some jealousy there by Rex Ryan with that take in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

If I was Pegula I’d have Harbough, Vrabel and Belichick on the line asap.  Not happening though, this organization is happy pressing the repeat button if you get close to your goals but don’t achieve them. 

Edited by BananaB

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I’m not McDermott’s biggest fan either, but we were 1-2 plays from the AFCCG. 

This is correct. And yesterday was as painful and yet numbing as ever. We're not even to a point where the long 7-8 months until next season even matters. Next year, we will have some set of circumstances that will go our way or not go our way and win 11-14 games, and at no point during the season will any of it mean anything. We are going to have to wait a year to get back to this place again and have another kick at the can and hope that we are not ravaged with injuries. More than likely Josh is going to outperform the QB on the other side of the field (even if it is Mahomes). As others have stated... it would be shocking if McDermott gets fired, whether he should or not. It's going to be a long wait to get another crack at this.

• Like (+1) 2

Before the year I wasn't a huge McD fan but with all the injuries on on D, he put togther a heck of a scheme and squad make of practice squad players and C level back ups. He does get the most out of our D. 

The question is do we find a more explosive Offensive coordinator than Joe Brady? We can't be afraid to assign him back to a positional coach just because we don't want to upset josh or we feel he deserves a whole year to show us what he has. This is the NFL take the best talent you can find especially at the coaching level.

55 minutes ago, Success said:

I get people want a change and I said it as such last night. The issue is who is going to be better? Also looking at the list of UFAs we are going to lose quite a few guys on defense which could be detrimental to this team's success if we elected to find an offensive minded HC which most here seem to feel is needed. We can put blame on McDermott but truth be told this team never lost a single game by less than 6 points this season which to me an amazing accomplishment especially with how are defense not been the same since Week 4. We lost yesterday because the Chiefs had a better kicker than us, is this McDermott's fault? No as prior to this year Bass felt like a top 5 kicker in this league but he struggled all season. Missing a 44 yard field goal on your home field and with the wind was simply inexcusable and only one guy to blame and it's not McDermott but Bass. If people want to blame McDermott for leaving too much time on the field, sorry that is on Josh Allen who all game played the small game until the 4th quarter when he seemed to be taking chances for the "kill shot" when we were winning by doing just the opposite. Is this on McDermott? No, again I blame a player for that. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I get people want a change and I said it as such last night. The issue is who is going to be better? Also looking at the list of UFAs we are going to lose quite a few guys on defense which could be detrimental to this team's success if we elected to find an offensive minded HC which most here seem to feel is needed. We can put blame on McDermott but truth be told this team never lost a single game by less than 6 points this season which to me an amazing accomplishment especially with how are defense not been the same since Week 4. We lost yesterday because the Chiefs had a better kicker than us, is this McDermott's fault? No as prior to this year Bass felt like a top 5 kicker in this league but he struggled all season. Missing a 44 yard field goal on your home field and with the wind was simply inexcusable and only one guy to blame and it's not McDermott but Bass. If people want to blame McDermott for leaving too much time on the field, sorry that is on Josh Allen who all game played the small game until the 4th quarter when he seemed to be taking chances for the "kill shot" when we were winning by doing just the opposite. Is this on McDermott? No, again I blame a player for that. 

Way too reasonable.  You will be banned.

I guess if we are playing this game.  I would want Phil Jackson to come in and install the triangle offense. 

1 hour ago, phypon said:

Yeah I just don't understand the comparison at all. Reid showed his chops and what his strengths were even during his playoff struggles. Yeah he was a terrible in-game manager...he's probably now not even that good of one...but he was obviously a talented coach on his side of the ball. 

McD's side of the ball has absolutely destroyed us in these big games. I mean we're losing games where Josh is playing lights out and McD's D just can't get stops. Even when we were relatively healthy we gave up 38 and 42 to KC in the other two games. 

I don't understand what people feel that McD's strengths are. We can't even mitigate damage, let alone bottle up top QB's in the playoffs and he's not a good in-game manager. I honestly don't see what people are so afraid to lose here. 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

What about last year's playoff game when we got blown out? Or the 2 years before that when his D gave up 38 and 42 to KC? These 3 games vs KC would all be blowouts if not for top echelon performances by Josh that unfortunately are completely wasted. McD's side of the ball gets destroyed in these games every single time. And obviously McD DIRECTLY blow the 13 seconds game himself. We literally had this coach cost us a season.

Why do the McD apologists here not ever have him accountable for any of that? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yeah I just don't understand the comparison at all. Reid showed his chops and what his strengths were even during his playoff struggles. Yeah he was a terrible in-game manager...he's probably now not even that good of one...but he was obviously a talented coach on his side of the ball. 

McD's side of the ball has absolutely destroyed us in these big games. I mean we're losing games where Josh is playing lights out and McD's D just can't get stops. Even when we were relatively healthy we gave up 38 and 42 to KC in the other two games. 

I don't understand what people feel that McD's strengths are. We can't even mitigate damage, let alone bottle up top QB's in the playoffs and he's not a good in-game manager. I honestly don't see what people are so afraid to lose here. 

What about last year's playoff game when we got blown out? Or the 2 years before that when his D gave up 38 and 42 to KC? These 3 games vs KC would all be blowouts if not for top echelon performances by Josh that unfortunately are completely wasted. McD's side of the ball gets destroyed in these games every single time. And obviously McD DIRECTLY blow the 13 seconds game himself. We literally had this coach cost us a season.

Why do the McD apologists here not ever have him accountable for any of that? 

Reid and Mahomes have been a wrecking ball in the playoffs. Kelce is a mismatch for almost all teams no matter how you draw it up. I get McD doesn't produce same results in playoffs but find me a coach who has stopped the KC offense in the playoffs and I might say hire him but tbh none have. Just cuz you replace a guy doesn't mean the new guy is better, just different.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Reid and Mahomes have been a wrecking ball in the playoffs. Kelce is a mismatch for almost all teams no matter how you draw it up. I get McD doesn't produce same results in playoffs but find me a coach who has stopped the KC offense in the playoffs and I might say hire him but tbh none have. Just cuz you replace a guy doesn't mean the new guy is better, just different.

The Bucs and Bengals both have. 

And it's not necessarily "stopping" them, it's even just mitigating some damage on them. Or even making a stop or forcing a Hail Mary with 13 seconds left. 

And even going beyond that...what's the point of having a defensive head coach if his D's get lit up in the playoffs consistently like McD's have? He hasn't been good at hiring coordinators as we've seen, with most likely yet another ST coordinator firing coming up and he has no DC left to fire and probably another search has to be done for an OC here. 

If we're resigned to this idea that we can't stop Mahomes and Reid at all, shouldn't we be hiring the best possible offensive coach as HC to try to win the shootouts against them? What we're doing with Josh right now isn't sustainable, we can't win unless he's 100% perfect. The Chiefs don't even demand that of Mahomes. 

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Carroll, Belichick, Vrabel and Harbaugh are all out there and all leaps and bounds better than McDummie for starters. Young offensive minds TBD but with Josh Allen its not hard to imagine any bum coach not being able to produce similar results to McDermott. 

Harbaugh would work and I think anybody would be salivating to work with the best QB in the league. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Rex Ryan is only saying that because think about it. Who replaced Rex Ryan and accomplished what Rex Ryan couldn’t in Buffalo? Sean McDermott so I am sure there is some jealousy there by Rex Ryan with that take in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I believe McDermott should be fired,  I think it's the right time because many vets on this team will not be back and Bill always seems to get the most out his players. Only thing he has not had since Brady is a top QB. Having said this I don't believe Pegula would pull the trigger because he is soft

I think McDermott is a very good HC,   I just think in the playoffs adjustments and game day decisions become all that more important.

16 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Carroll, Belichick, Vrabel and Harbaugh are all out there and all leaps and bounds better than McDummie for starters. Young offensive minds TBD but with Josh Allen its not hard to imagine any bum coach not being able to produce similar results to McDermott. 

Harbaugh would work and I think anybody would be salivating to work with the best QB in the league. 

All better and all unemployed? Vrabel hasn't shown anything in the playoffs as a HC. Carroll and Belichick have struggled the last few years replicating past success. 

26 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

I think Harbaugh would be a great get,  sadly this decision my require another year of not meeting expectations.  McDermott is a great HC for a team trying to make their first playoffs or turn a program around.  He would be perfect in Charlotte or Chicago

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.