Why does Josh hesitate now?

PromoTheRobot

Are his receivers not getting open? Did he not trust what he sees? Is McDermott in his head telling him not to turn it over? Did Cincinnati know what players were were running?

All I saw was Allen pulling his arm down on his first read all night. Then his pocket collapses. What the hell is going on there?

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are his receivers not getting open? Did he not trust what he sees? Is McDermott in his head telling him not to turn it over? Did Cincinnati know what players were were running?

All I saw was Allen pulling his arm down on his first read all night. Then his pocket collapses. What the hell is going on there?

I'd say it's part McDermott and part the receivers

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Opposing teams know the plays - some of them have said as such.

The offense looks like it's called by a 14 year old Madden addict that just slammed 2 red bulls and wants to hit a 75 yard TD so he can get to the bathroom asap.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 8

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

After the first drive, I think that the Bengals started taking away his first read. Lou Anarumo is a really good DC who will make adjustments from drive to drive.

• Like (+1) 3

Because he has no trust in the WRs besides Diggs and now Kincaid. Beane didn’t go out and improve the group, he brought in jags just like he does with the oline every year.  He doubled down on Davis, gave everybody his injury excuses for last year and right now nothing has changed. 

• Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's nothing new. He's always had these ups and downs. One week he slings it on his first read up and down the field, the next week he's double and triple clutching.

What he is missing is someone capable of helping him figure it out.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe the D is changing the look of the play at the last minute and he has not yet figured out what they are doing? 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he’s mentally wrecked right now. Looks like rookie Josh. Some flashes of brilliance with a bunch of panicking in the pocket, although now he’s had the running taken away which used to be the fall back.

Coaching? Off the field stuff?  Supporting cast? Combo of all the above? Who knows. Seems to me like he’s on full tilt and I don’t believe the current staff can pull him out of it. 

• Agree 2

I wonder if some of this is that the WRs have multiple route options on each play and that they're not where Josh is expecting them to be. That may or may not be part of the problem, but if it is, it would explain his hesitation and probably also his over-reliance on Diggs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

IMO, Josh is not as good as the other Superstar QB's standing in the pocket and making good throws.  He does tend to hang on too long and the pocket caves.  He's not a great thinker, he's an instincts QB.   So he's much better than most, however,  at moving around, throwing on the run, or running decisively.  That should be his game.  And it's an admission of failure that in several games, we see the offensive plan blown up and Josh saying the hell with it I'm gonna run and play on instincts.. and then they do well.  If not for the Kincaid fumble, I think Buffalo may have tied that game up late.

And on another note, all this low-energy vibe stuff is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Just play the game and be into it.  It's just weird seeing him sit on the bench stone faced.  He never used to do that.  It's probably an extension of tight ass McDermott never keeping the room loose.  

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, zow2 said:

IMO, Josh is not as good as the other Superstar QB's standing in the pocket and making good throws.  He does tend to hang on too long and the pocket caves.  He's not a great thinker, he's an instincts QB.   So he's much better than most, however,  at moving around, throwing on the run, or running decisively.  That should be his game.  And it's an admission of failure that in several games, we see the offensive plan blown up and Josh saying the hell with it I'm gonna run and play on instincts.. and then they do well.  If not for the Kincaid fumble, I think Buffalo may have tied that game up late.

And on another note, all this low-energy vibe stuff is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Just play the game and be into it.  It's just weird seeing him sit on the bench stone faced.  He never used to do that.  It's probably an extension of tight ass McDermott never keeping the room loose.  

He looks like late-stage Big Ben out there trying to figure things out amid a collapsing pocket.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Because he has no trust in the WRs besides Diggs and now Kincaid. Beane didn’t go out and improve the group, he brought in jags just like he does with the oline every year.  He doubled down on Davis, gave everybody his injury excuses for last year and right now nothing has changed. 

This narrative is just plain silly. We have Diggs, Kincaid, Shakir is a weapon. Even Cook was open for short dump screens last night and Josh looks the other way. I know we don't have the "best" receivers in the AFC but c'mon - we have capable guys who have proved it already.

I watched the game too and I see a QB who doesn't understand the "full" play called as in he doesn't look at his escape options - ever.

Also, the plays being called are pop warner. Defenses can cover us now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.