Why does Josh hesitate now?

PromoTheRobot

3 hours ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

The lack of an offensive line that can pass block consistently is egregious add the fact that they can’t run the ball and what you have is worse and I don’t have a word for that!

Forget flashy d lineman who can’t get home.  
Forget the diva WR/TE who drops the ball at the only moment that matters.  
Forget the RB who mimes feed me the ball only to fumble at the goal line.  

Give me an O line than lines up with 4th and 1 And everyone knows the QB sneak is coming and runs it anyway!!!
Give me an O line that doesn’t need “help” when they send 5!!!!

With an offensive line Josh picks teams apart with the combination of his legs and arm!   Stop with all this other stuff already.  

That's the Philadelphia Eagles.  They knew who they are and what they do well.  And keep doing it.  They also have a better D line then we do.  Especially at getting after the QB.  And the one intangible they play with the past couple of years is that they are well coached, and play with confidence.  Their coach exudes that on the sideline to the point where you want to punch him in the face because he comes off so cocky.  But the team plays with that confidence, and that is a big difference knowing you are going to win at the end of every game. 

We are not playing that way right now in the slightest.  That starts with McDermott.  He looks tense worried and concerned from the get go every week.  Not a leader w confidence like say Dan Campbell.  That has filtered down to Josh.  We started the game with an excellent first drive.  That should have continued all game with a few adjustments as Cinci adjusted.  But we bogged down immediately throughout most of the rest of the game until the 4th quarter.  By then we were down by 2 scores.  And had the unfortunate Kincaid fumble.  The offense has no cohesiveness or consistency.  That should not be happening at this point in the year in Josh's 6th season.  He is pressing too much.  And does not look in complete control of things.  That is the big difference between he Burrow and Mahones.  B and M look completely calm cool and collected, like they have been playing in their respective offenses their entire life.  Josh is pressing and not looking smooth and collected.  Something has to change real quick else no playoffs for this team..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, finn said:

Not sure that's quite fair or accurate. The Bills D held this supposedly high-powered offense to 3 points in the second half, even with their teammates turning the ball over twice and injuries to Benford, Bernard, and Hyde. They looked like Swiss cheese early but then adjusted. The Bills offense, though, went into their familiar hibernation. You can't score 18 points over four quarters and expect to win against a talented team. 

Something is very wrong on that side of the ball. 

Also, it's not that the Cinci defense adjusted to what the Bills did on that first drive. Rather, the Bills' offense STOPPED doing what was successful for them on that first drive. That is, they got away from the quick-hitting, short and intermediate passing game and started trying to take deep shots, which took too long to develop and were much more low percentage.

40 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think I’m right in saying that hasn’t always been the case. If so, what’s changed?

Yea I think you are right too. I watched the 2020 49ers game back the other day and Josh was so much more "in control" than he is now. Against a talented defense and a top DC he carved them open and seemed to know what they were in almost before theu did. I do think there is a role for the OC in helping, so maybe Daboll was just better at preparing Josh for what he was going to see game to game. But I still say there is something different about Josh's demeanour, he just doesn't look as though his head is quite where it was. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

And on another note, all this low-energy vibe stuff is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Just play the game and be into it.  It's just weird seeing him sit on the bench stone faced.  He never used to do that.  It's probably an extension of tight ass McDermott never keeping the room loose.  

Agree on McD’s influence. Josh’s press conferences are starting to sound exactly like McD’s with the same talking points

It’s hard to win in this league

Theyre getting paid on the other side too

Need to look at the film

Complimentary football

Humble and hungry

Need to trust the process 

Blah blah blah

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Agree on McD’s influence. Josh’s press conferences are starting to sound exactly like McD’s with the same talking points

Need to look at the film

Complimentary football

Humble and hungry

Blah blah blah

I don't ever want to hear these two again. I'm sick of them.

Complimentary football

Humble and hungry

Even McDermott's post game speech after a win is stale.  He says the exact same stuff, every time.  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think you are right too. I watched the 2020 49ers game back the other day and Josh was so much more "in control" than he is now. Against a talented defense and a top DC he carved them open and seemed to know what they were in almost before theu did. I do think there is a role for the OC in helping, so maybe Daboll was just better at preparing Josh for what he was going to see game to game. But I still say there is something different about Josh's demeanour, he just doesn't look as though his head is quite where it was. 

Thanks. I think working out why is key to success, both short and long term.

10 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Need to look at the film

Complimentary football

Humble and hungry

Blah blah blah

Though a couple of things slipped through yesterday - not knowing why the offense was running at low tempo (though McDermott said something similar) and he's just playing the plays as called.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You a turnover rate of more than 1 per game acceptable, really?   I mean there are guys with higher INT rates but if he throws an INT per game that would not be too good, considering some guys get be way down in the single digits.  Josh has the highest INT rate since his rookie year this season.

It is if you're throwing 3 or more TDs per game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Josh has any confidence in his protection or the game plan. 

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Been doing this for a month. He even hesitates to take off running now. He used to see a lane and take off. He justvlooks different,  very tight.  I pray they do something to get him back to playing free and loose

I thought it was interesting - after the NE loss, Allen said something like, "Maybe I need to stop thinking and just play."  Then came out against TB looking phenomenal, making quick decisions, getting the ball to the right guy right away, etc.  That went away a bit in the second half as we basically turtled on offense.  Allen didn't look exactly the same on our first drive last night, but he looked really good and so did the offense as a whole.  Then it was basically nothing until mid/late fourth quarter.

Us outsiders can never know for sure, but I think most of it comes down to the coaching staff.  Daboll's offense had some of the same issues as Dorsey, but they didn't "stick" like this - we'd have a bad game or two, but nothing where the QB & HC are both mystified in their postgame pressers.  Was Daboll better at giving Allen feedback in a way that got Allen to actually change what he's doing?  Is McDermott constantly trying to turn us into the Parcells Giants once we get a lead, and Daboll was able to say no in a way that Dorsey can't?  Is Dorsey a bad play caller?  Is Dorsey not detail-oriented enough to notice and work on fixing every single problem with the offense?  (I'm thinking of things like the route combination problems that Kurt Warner called out in one of his videos a few weeks ago.)

I think it's probably some combination of the above.  I don't want to absolve Allen of the blame here - there's a lot of improvements he can (and needs to) make.  But it's the coaches' jobs to help players make those improvements.  If the player is trying and not succeeding, to me it falls on the coaching staff.

I agree that there are times when Josh pats the ball too much and looks tentative. No doubt about it.

BUT...

Josh Allen is also having the second best statistical season of his career, and may well set career best marks for completion percentage and passing TDs.

In my opinion, it's the scheme and the coaching that's to blame. Not to say that Josh is without fault. There have certainly been times this season where he is the reason for the offensive struggles. Far, FAR more often, though, I blame an unimaginative scheme and receivers that aren't that open.

Go watch Dolphins and Chiefs All-22 and see how absolutely, comically, ridiculously wide open their receivers are at times. The Bills offense never seems to have that. Why?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are his receivers not getting open? Did he not trust what he sees? Is McDermott in his head telling him not to turn it over? Did Cincinnati know what players were were running?

All I saw was Allen pulling his arm down on his first read all night. Then his pocket collapses. What the hell is going on there?

Of course it’s because the 1st and 2nd read is not open. Did you see the accuracy and amazing play in the 2nd half on the 3 long drives? It coincides with up tempo offense and what Dorsey should be running from the beginning. Why are people on this board blaming Josh for a game that we’re defenseless against offenses that we were shutting down previously.

Josh has always held the ball. He’s so dynamic with his legs and his arm is so strong he gets away with it. 

Bur Josh’s game has never included a quick release. At least not with any regularity. 

This part of the staff criticism is a bit of convenience given the current state of things. 

I will say that Josh thrives in a bit of chaos. Teams are not blitzing a ton and dropping 7 into coverage quite a bit. It feels like we are seeing some more stunts and or QB spies keeping him in the pocket/behind the lineZ I think those things, paired with Josh liking to hold the ball gives the passing game some pause. 

I think teams are begging Josh to hit his third or fifth step in his drop and immediately unload quickly. It’s just never been apart of his game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.