Why does Josh hesitate now?

PromoTheRobot

Josh’s footwork in the pocket has regressed.  2020 and 2021 his feet, head, and shoulders were always aligned.  Now when he goes off his first read, he looks like a raw QB holding ball away from his body and his feet stuck in the mud and it leads to some really off balance throws down the field.  It doesn’t hurt him much in the check down game but it still takes yards away because he’s not getting it to the check down as quickly as he can due to poor footwork.  

41 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's nothing new. He's always had these ups and downs. One week he slings it on his first read up and down the field, the next week he's double and triple clutching.

What he is missing is someone capable of helping him figure it out.

This may be truth.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He’s had inconsistent play at WR for a year and half now. It’s obvious he doesn’t fully trust a few guys or he doesn’t trust the position Dorsey is putting them in. 

I would bet that our receivers and JA17 aren’t on same page with reading the defense pre-snap.  That’s one problem, then they must adjust when the defense changes post-snap.  It’s obvious when Cook doesn’t pick up a blitzer, but not when WR runs the wrong route based on the defensive scheme post snap.  This may explain why JA17 holds the ball and/or double clutches.  I didn’t see this with Burrow.  Also, I bet we weren’t ready for their use of their TE because we were focused on stopping the run and the WRs.  Their game plan was sneaky.

• Like (+1) 1

People are going to hate me for saying this.  

But I don't believe Josh Allen is putting in the work needed anymore to become a great Quarterback, and has become totally reliant on his physical abilities.

His first couple seasons, all you ever heard was him working with Josh Palmer on correcting his mechanics and fixing his biggest weak points.  Now he spends the offseason shooting commercials and playing golf.  He's admitted to not being a film junkie.  The other day he appeared in an interview with Tom Brady, and basically rolled his eyes while getting advice from the winningest QB to ever play the game.

Yeah, I'm sure our offensive coordinator shares a ton of blame.  But Allen continually makes terrible decisions on the football field, and generally looks confused/perplexed by what the defense is throwing at him.  His body language is a deer in the headlights.  Not a man full of confidence.  It's not just endless turnovers.  Anybody who watches the All-22 will tell you he's constantly missing open receivers on a weekly basis.

I'm sure in 10 years, several NFL records are going to fall at his feet.  And someday he will be inducted into Canton because of that.  But I just can't see this guy winning us a Super Bowl.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Bengals mixed Josh up really well. 

But the worst part was that the bengals entire D line would penetrate regardless of how many rushers it send.

I saw them rush 3 a handful of times and all 3 would get to the QB everytime.

Disgusting.

Hubbard and especially Hendrickson are great pass rushers.

33 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

Doesn't matter who ran it there is simply no surprise element to this offense at all.

It does matter. A flea flicker they never run is the definition of a surprise.

Problem is defenses don’t play very aggressive vs the Bills offense because Josh Allen.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Sad 1

someone else may have said this, but defending against Allen is somewhat like defending against Tua.  Take away the first read and make them think through the progression.  Neither of them are particularly capable of that, and because our playbook is about as innovative as a day old loaf of wonderbread, Allen stands back there dumbfounded until he gets sacked

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

57 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Opposing teams know the plays - some of them have said as such.

The offense looks like it's called by a 14 year old Madden addict that just slammed 2 red bulls and wants to hit a 75 yard TD so he can get to the bathroom asap.

@dollars 2 donuts, as our go-to in all things Madden, is this accurate?? 🧐🤓

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

You dislike the idea of an upgraded O line that can block for Josh when they rush only 3 in favor of simply replacing the offensive coordinator?  

That’s your solution?

Yes. The line is fine. Josh has time majority of the game. Not sure what you are watching. Sacks happen in every game dude - he has time for majority of the game.

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

@dollars 2 donuts, as our go-to in all things Madden, is this accurate?? 🧐🤓

😆

HUDS, side note and only a little related, I haven't played in weeks, but no lie...Gabe drives me crazy in the game.  Seriously, if there is a DB near him...I mean just forget it, even if he has the position on the DB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Yes. The line is fine. Josh has time majority of the game. Not sure what you are watching. Sacks happen in every game dude - he has time for majority of the game.

Sure sacks happen but when sacks or pressure happen when 4 or less rush that’s an issue.    When your line can’t run the ball while also giving up sacks that’s an issue.   Please realize I am not giving Dorsey or McD a complete pass but a line that opens up a run game gives the o coordinator a whole lot more to work with.  

How many times have you called for up tempo passing because the longer plays can’t develop?

if that’s what you call for it’s because the line can’t sustain blocks

I think he's just more cognizant of the turnover machine moniker he's been labeled with.

And though I'd love to say "he shouldn't let the outside noise get to him," I'm very sympathetic in that regard. The pressure is already insane, but to hear people hone in more on your mistakes than what you do well, coupled with suggestions that your best offensive player wants to leave because of YOUR performances... that's gotta be rough.

So I don't blame him for being hesitant, I just hope he eventually works through it & finds a way to come out better for it.

• Like (+1) 1

His college coach told the story that he threw a TD pass in a game & when he came off the coach said, nice pass but the play call was to the TE who was open. Josh responded no coach Brett Favre says TDs first. That is who he is a gunslinger who passes up easy plays looking for great TDs. He's a gambler backyard player NOT a systems QB like Brady, or Burrow or Mannings or sometimes even Mahomes. He's more Favre & Rodgers, who each only won 1 SB.

• Like (+1) 1

Bottom line is we need an offensive minded coach with an innovative OC that will tailor an offense that best utilizes Allen's talent.

The other option is to trade Allen and rid this team of overpriced veterans and aim to compete again in a few years if we manage to get a franchise QB again.

I hate option two with a passion, but something has to give

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.