Brandon Beane Media Comments

BuffaloBillyG

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Tim Settle was a miss.  We banked on him breaking out once he's not buried on a roster behind two elite DT's and he has not... at all. 

Beane can't predict Jones does down to injury.  That contract, along with Oliver's contract... if Daquan stayed healthy were very much worthy of praise.

Phillips and Ford are on cheap deals as vets because we are cap strapped. 

I don't know that I can fault Beane a ton for the DT situation.  

It should also be said thatJones was performing at an elite level when he was hurt.  That was a massive loss and no depth piece was going to fill that void.  It is unfortunate that Ford or Settle have not been able to be more stout at the point of attack, but I seriously doubt that problem can be even partially solved with FA at this point in the year.

12 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Settle is a disappointment, I remember Washington fans were very upset that he left.

Phillips is just washed 

Phillips is who he always was. Bad against the run, flashy when he can penetrate and rush the passer.  Without a Star or DaQuan next to him he gets even more exposed.  McD's defense seems to rely on having a unicorn at DT.  This defense falls apart without a tackle that can anchor while taking on two OL.  We will be back to playing Oliver out of position because the other bums aren't up to the task.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

My gut instinct to Beane’s comment on Elam’s ankle is “coach speak”. 

He is always going to make excuses for his players because good regimes don’t throw players under the bus. 

He and McD constantly backed up Kelvin Benjamin too.

Elam has only been on the injury report with an ankle for 2 of the 8 games we have played.  

And the backing up of Peterman by McD was just cataclysmically stupid.  

22 minutes ago, Process said:

Beane has been generally brutal when it comes to management of the d line, since he has got here. So many bad signings and draft picks. 

You are right, we went into this season with 5 vet DTs. We shouldn't be in this bad of shape because of the loss of one of them. 

And as Gunner implied, they were FAs that he, Beane, signed, no doubt with much input from McD.  Perhaps they should have thought things through and gotten at least one guy that would fit the scheme a little bit better.  

That's the problem as many view it, they're so overly focused on pass-rush that everything else, the other elements of D, takes a back seat, at least to a large extent.  

• Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All 3 are overpaid IMO. Would not have brought Phillips back, would have cut Settle, and Poona has been a disappointment. How many vet DTs has he missed on since being our GM? Needs to own his errors. 

The Star contract still might be the worst contract he ever gave out. He hasn’t drafted any DTs since Ed in 2019 which means he has brought in a lot of FAs to fill those spots. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s Poona that’s the problem he was supposed to be a reliable, one tech

Yeah he stinks.  Phillips isn't much better at gap control, but at least he has quickness to split the double team from time to time.  I'll take a negative play once in a while over nothing.  Poona seems to just get moved.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

Good to hear from Beane, always a nice listen.

1. Elam: injury talk is part of it, but sure sounds like alot of mental/confidence concerns right now.  Just not playing to his talent level, which happens.  Hopefully that "switch" comes on later this season, but early next might be tipping point

2. DT: Beane whiffed at backups, that's clear as day.  We all saw a need for a better 1-tech backup, Poona was a "plan b" signing.   They should have prioritized that more, hopefully lesson learned and possible they are still looking at some FAs or P/S guys

3. Rasul: sounds like it will be tough to get him meaningful snaps this week.  But never rule it out, just think they won't rush him and he will likely be ready for Denver matchup

49 minutes ago, balln said:

Classic beane - defending his draft picks poor play. ANY injury is the first go to defense.

Spencer brown back

gabe Davis ankle 

Ed Oliver back 

blah blah blah 

Yeah, because all GMs are honest about their misses

Bills media member: Can you tell us more about Kaiir and where he stands?

Beane: Yeah, he sucks. He's terrible. I don't know what I was thinking. I told him he sucks all year. I didn't trade him yesterday because I want to continue telling him how much he sucks. It makes him get mad. And I love it. 

Come on, man. Are you really this dumb?

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Haha (+1) 5

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Good to hear from Beane, always a nice listen.

1. Elam: injury talk is part of it, but sure sounds like alot of mental/confidence concerns right now.  Just not playing to his talent level, which happens.  Hopefully that "switch" comes on later this season, but early next might be tipping point

2. DT: Beane whiffed at backups, that's clear as day.  We all saw a need for a better 1-tech backup, Poona was a "plan b" signing.   They should have prioritized that more, hopefully lesson learned and possible they are still looking at some FAs or P/S guys

3. Rasul: sounds like it will be tough to get him meaningful snaps this week.  But never rule it out, just think they won't rush him and he will likely be ready for Denver matchup

1 - Confidence definitely looks shattered at the moment.  Shutting him down for an ankle also gives him a chance to get his head on right.  

2 - Rounds 3-5 I'd like to see a nose tackle.  I'd also like DQ brought back as he has been really solid here.  

3 - Dress him - first off the bench, let him get his feet under him here before we inevitably throw him to the lions den 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, julian said:

Most teams see a dramatic drop off of talent behind the starter regardless of position. It’s impossible to field a team without holes on the depth chart, it’s why injuries play such a significant role in the outcome across the NFL.

Most teams don't fall to pieces after losing a defensive tackle.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Rasul not being active this week is a bit of a mental blow for me.

It’s Burrow and the Bengals with a trio of offensive weapons. We really need the CB help.

The OP said that was his opinion, I have not seen any Bills official name that statement 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.