Bills signing Fournette (for real this time)

Process

It has been explained on here before (Hoofhearted for example) but the Shotgun runs that many are yelling at the wind about is a big part of our successful read-option (RPO) game. Sure, it hasn't always worked, especially on the goal line, but overall it HAS worked. The shortsighted takes over and over and over without learning anything about the game are so muich fun to read through though!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

52 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Benjamin Allbright reporting that Bills, SF and Cowboys are "in on CB Jaylon Johnson" from Da Bears. I looked further - some twitter saying Bills have made offer of: Elam and 2nd round pick for Johnson.

Hmmmmm.. Beaner up to a good deed?

That would be a helluva trade. The bears stink but he’s been stellar this season….. but he’s an UFA after the season.  

Would we sign him to an extension?  I suppose trading elam and a 2nd would’nt  be too bad-  even if we let him go after the year, we could get a 3rd rd pick for losing him.  I think he’ll get over 18M a year if not 20+. 

or maybe we cut Tre and use that money in Jaylon.  We’d save a little over 6M releasing Tre. 

I’d love to get this kid. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

It has been explained on here before (Hoofhearted for example) but the Shotgun runs that many are yelling at the wind about is a big part of our successful read-option (RPO) game. Sure, it hasn't always worked, especially on the goal line, but overall it HAS worked. The shortsighted takes over and over and over without learning anything about the game are so muich fun to read through though!

I always get eyeroll emojis when I post this, but fans like the plays that work and dislike the plays that don't work. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Great.  Sounds like smart people overthinking things.  You have a 6’5 240 lb. qb and you should have him qb sneak it from a half yard line out in 3rd and goal or less every darn time.  You won’t lose yards and they’re not stopping you more than twice in a row.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

IMO, it only works if Josh was actually running more.

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Yep. Murray looked like the veteran between-the-tackles back we needed to compliment Cook earlier in the year, but as the season has gone on, it is becoming more and more apparent that he just doesn't have the juice to get through the rest of the season in a role that had become bigger with the loss of Harris.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I don't think people realize just how many plays a game the Bills run RPO's on...it's A LOT and it's far more varied and diverse than most teams in the NFL.  See the breakdown I posted with JT O'Sullivan QB School from Week 8 against TB and he breaks down their RPO game quite a bit and is amazed and cannot heap enough praise on how exceptional it is from pretty much every standpoint.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Great.  Sounds like smart people overthinking things.  You have a 6’5 240 lb. qb and you should have him qb sneak it from a half yard line out in 3rd and goal or less every darn time.  You won’t lose yards and they’re not stopping you more than twice in a row.

While I agree with you, it appears that the coaching staff is worried about Josh's health (especially with the nagging shoulder) and reluctant to run this play as often as we would like.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Benjamin Allbright reporting that Bills, SF and Cowboys are "in on CB Jaylon Johnson" from Da Bears. I looked further - some twitter saying Bills have made offer of: Elam and 2nd round pick for Johnson.

Hmmmmm.. Beaner up to a good deed?

Seems like a lot for a rental.🤔

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

maybe RPO needs to drop from the playbook  on the goal line. 

27 minutes ago, wppete said:

Fournette should apologize to Shaq and not upset him. Last guy on the Bills to upset. He’s a freak and probably the toughest guy on the team. 

Wallace and Moncrief just staying on the ground.

Moncrief: Dude why aren't you letting go I got it.

Wallace: Man do you really want to get up into this?

Moncrief: Good point let's just wait it out.

• Haha (+1) 2

Murray can block, and has caught a couple passes in stride for first downs.  He isn't lost out there, and has a role.  Not dynamic on the run anymore though so far.  LF has to learn the playbook, and get his wind back.  Don't think we will see LF this week, but who knows, a crazy year.

19 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

While I agree with you, it appears that the coaching staff is worried about Josh's health (especially with the nagging shoulder) and reluctant to run this play as often as we would like.

They ran it the next series.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dorsey: Hey Beane, this shotgun at the goal line isn’t working.

Beane: Why don’t we just sneak it?  That would easily solve the problem.

Dorsey: I think we just need a bigger back.  Please?

This made me laugh out loud. I do think this is more of a insurance policy for D. Harris, as it seems like hes going to be out longer than initially expected.

27 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think people realize just how many plays a game the Bills run RPO's on...it's A LOT and it's far more varied and diverse than most teams in the NFL.  See the breakdown I posted with JT O'Sullivan QB School from Week 8 against TB and he breaks down their RPO game quite a bit and is amazed and cannot heap enough praise on how exceptional it is from pretty much every standpoint.

"Big-boy football".  Thanks for posting that, it was edumacational.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Murray can block, and has caught a couple passes in stride for first downs.  He isn't lost out there, and has a role.  Not dynamic on the run anymore though so far.  LF has to learn the playbook, and get his wind back.  Don't think we will see LF this week, but who knows, a crazy year.

Which could signal the the move to a hurry-up temp style Buff played last Thursday is here to stay. The staff trusts Murray in the 2 minute drill more Cook and if they are going to deploy that more now then having a second RB who they leave in for all 3 downs could be the thinking. The offseason goal was to protect Josh adding Lenny F is inline with that and worth the no cost pickup. Any catches or improvements converting on 3 n 1's is gravy. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.