Here's what The Athletic thinks the Bills should do at deadline

Dan Darragh

https://theathletic.com/4995928/2023/10/25/nfl-trade-deadline-needs-bills-patriots-packers/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=8085160

The Bills get a linebacker for their defense

Last week Buffalo played without four starters on defense, and a fifth, edge rusher Von Miller, played sparingly. Defensive tackle Da’Quan Jones, cornerback Tre’Davious White and linebacker Matt Milano are on injured reserve, and their best defensive lineman Ed Oliver missed the game with a toe injury. It was clear they could not hold up against what had been a feeble New England Patriots offense. The Patriots got 11 first downs in the fourth quarter alone and pushed the Bills all over the field. Bills QB Josh Allen actually had regained his team the lead late before the defense faltered again and gave up a game-winning drive.

I don’t think the Bills can go on like this, and they are going to be forced to make a deal. I would start in Denver with the much-maligned Broncos, but before you laugh and say, “Why would we want anyone off a historically bad defense?”, remember that even bad defenses have players with effective individual skill sets. Against the Patriots, the Bills started two young and unproven inside linebackers and replaced one in the second half with a college free agent — hardly a recipe for long-term success.

Denver inside linebacker Josey Jewell, at age 29 and in the last year of a contract, makes some sense as a rental for the rest of this season. Broncos coach Sean Payton has made it clear he will listen to any and all offers. Jewell is a steady traffic cop who can get everyone lined up and has consistently shown a very good nose for the ball. And he might have a calming effect on a group that is reeling right now.

Additionally, if the Bills are willing to part with a little more compensation they should ask for defensive tackle Mike Purcell as well. Purcell is a versatile nose who can also play 3 technique and is also in the last year of his deal. He is playing 36 percent of Denver’s defensive snaps and holds the point of attack very well, gets off blocks and plays with a consistent motor and pad level that the Bills are really missing with Jones and Oliver out of the lineup.

Both Broncos can be expected to get a shot of adrenaline in coming from the chaos in Denver to a really good Bills team, and neither has an exorbitant salary, so they should fit in under a tighter cap. I would make either or both of these deals in a heartbeat. I’m not sure that the Bills couldn’t acquire them both for a fourth- or fifth-round pick. The Bills have to be somewhat desperate and not quibble at this point.

Just now, Dan Darragh said:

The Patriots got 11 first downs in the fourth quarter alone and pushed the Bills all over the field.

I did not realize this.  Shocking!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

41 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

https://theathletic.com/4995928/2023/10/25/nfl-trade-deadline-needs-bills-patriots-packers/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=8085160

The Bills get a linebacker for their defense

Last week Buffalo played without four starters on defense, and a fifth, edge rusher Von Miller, played sparingly. Defensive tackle Da’Quan Jones, cornerback Tre’Davious White and linebacker Matt Milano are on injured reserve, and their best defensive lineman Ed Oliver missed the game with a toe injury. It was clear they could not hold up against what had been a feeble New England Patriots offense. The Patriots got 11 first downs in the fourth quarter alone and pushed the Bills all over the field. Bills QB Josh Allen actually had regained his team the lead late before the defense faltered again and gave up a game-winning drive.

I don’t think the Bills can go on like this, and they are going to be forced to make a deal. I would start in Denver with the much-maligned Broncos, but before you laugh and say, “Why would we want anyone off a historically bad defense?”, remember that even bad defenses have players with effective individual skill sets. Against the Patriots, the Bills started two young and unproven inside linebackers and replaced one in the second half with a college free agent — hardly a recipe for long-term success.

Denver inside linebacker Josey Jewell, at age 29 and in the last year of a contract, makes some sense as a rental for the rest of this season. Broncos coach Sean Payton has made it clear he will listen to any and all offers. Jewell is a steady traffic cop who can get everyone lined up and has consistently shown a very good nose for the ball. And he might have a calming effect on a group that is reeling right now.

Additionally, if the Bills are willing to part with a little more compensation they should ask for defensive tackle Mike Purcell as well. Purcell is a versatile nose who can also play 3 technique and is also in the last year of his deal. He is playing 36 percent of Denver’s defensive snaps and holds the point of attack very well, gets off blocks and plays with a consistent motor and pad level that the Bills are really missing with Jones and Oliver out of the lineup.

Both Broncos can be expected to get a shot of adrenaline in coming from the chaos in Denver to a really good Bills team, and neither has an exorbitant salary, so they should fit in under a tighter cap. I would make either or both of these deals in a heartbeat. I’m not sure that the Bills couldn’t acquire them both for a fourth- or fifth-round pick. The Bills have to be somewhat desperate and not quibble at this point.

I did not realize this.  Shocking!

Just read this myself. I thought it was very intriguing and think it makes a ton of sense. 

3 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

A Receiver, Corner or DT would all be helpful, but a linebacker is a must.   Dorian Williams is not ready and Dodson is a modern day Keith Ellison.  We were pushed around by New England last Sunday.

I see it as DT, LB, WR, CB.

Jones is the biggest loss. Shore that up and the back half looks better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Jewell does not do anything really more than average.  He is not big, he is not really fast and he doesn't really make any big plays or difference making plays.

He has always seemed kind of like a ham and egger.  

I just am not sure what he would do here being plugged into this defense in the middle of the season.  

Holy crap.  You'd think a former football executive would have any idea what the heck he is talking about.    The Bills would be foolish to give up a draft pick or anything else for Jewell.  He is a 3-4 ILB who doesnt have the speed to play OLB in the Bills scheme.    The Bills are not moving Bernard given how well he has played at ILB this year.  Josey Jewell is not a fit for the Bills defense.

Purcell was a good space eater, but he is 32 and playing poor football. 

Do better Randy Mueller.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

A Receiver, Corner or DT would all be helpful, but a linebacker is a must.   Dorian Williams is not ready and Dodson is a modern day Keith Ellison.  We were pushed around by New England last Sunday.

Issue with LBs are none of them active have physicality needed for a team which decides to run down your throat. 

Klein should have been elevated daring the Cheats to beat them with QB's arm.

\

Oh and it is not what the Athletic thinks - each writer is independent and can ofter contradicting opinions.  

It is what Randy Mueller thinks and do not remember reading any other articles by him and none in my saved database.  He has been out of NFL since 2018 doing minor pro leagues since.

Edited by Limeaid
typo

I'm not sure about cap space implications, but...

Signing Ndamakung Suh (who recently said he wants to play this season) and attempting to acquire Adam Thielen, DJ Chark, or Darius Slayton would be the moves I'd be looking into.

A linebacker would also be lovely, I'm just not sure what teams are realistically looking to trade away good WILL linebackers who are better than what the Bills already have. If there IS such a team, maybe one looking to sell off some veterans for draft picks, then by all means, do it. But echoing what others have said in this thread, Jewell ain't that guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.